ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

heavy-rain-night
44°
Thundershowers
H -° L 44°
  • heavy-rain-night
    44°
    Current Conditions
    Thundershowers. H -° L 44°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    Today
    Thundershowers. H -° L 44°
  • rain-day
    64°
    Tomorrow
    Showers. H 64° L 54°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Three Big Things
 you need to know
1
2
3
‘Empire’ actor Jussie Smollett charged with felony disorderly conduct

‘Empire’ actor Jussie Smollett charged with felony disorderly conduct

Police continue to investigate the reported attack against “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett, who told authorities he was assaulted in the predawn hours Jan. 29 by a pair of men who yelled racial and homophobic slurs at him. >> Read more trending news Update 8:50 p.m. EST Feb. 20: Smollett’s Chicago attorneys, Todd Pugh and Victor Henderson, released a statement following the indictment: “Like any other citizen, Mr. Smollett enjoys the presumption of innocence, particularly when there has been an investigation like this one where information, both true and false, has been repeatedly leaked. Given these circumstances, we intend to conduct a thorough investigation and to mount an aggressive defense.” Update 7:44 p.m. EST Feb. 20: The Chicago Tribune is reporting that Jussie Smollett has been charged with felony disorderly conduct for allegedly filing a false report on Jan.29. The charge is a Class 4 felony that carries a possible prison sentence of 1-3 years, but he could also receive probation. The bond hearing has been set for 1:30pm Thursday according to WLS-TV. Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi tweeted that detectives will make contact with his attorneys and negotiate a surrender for his arrest. Update 5:30 p.m. EST Feb. 20:  “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett is now considered a suspect and detectives are presenting case to grand jury according to the Chief Communications Officer for Chicago Police Department. Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi tweeted the news on Wednesday after Smollett’s attorneys met with prosecutors and detectives. Update 4:30 p.m. EST Feb. 20: A police official said lawyers for Jussie Smollett are meeting with prosecutors and police investigators about the reported attack on the “Empire” actor.  Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi told the Associated Press the meeting was taking place Wednesday afternoon. He declined to confirm reports that subpoenas had been issued for Smollett’s phone and bank records. Update 2:20 p.m. EST Feb. 20: Officials with 20th Century Fox Television and Fox Entertainment on Wednesday denied reports Smollett was being written out of “Empire” in a statement released to WBBM-TV. “Jussie Smollett continues to be a consummate professional on set and as we have previously stated, he is not being written out of the show,” the statement said. The comment followed reports that Smollett's role on the show was being slashed amid investigations into the actor's report that he was attacked in Chicago last month. Authorities continue to investigate. Update 9:30 a.m. EST Feb. 20: Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx recused herself Monday from the investigation into the reported attack against Smollett, according to WMAQ-TV. In a statement emailed to the station, a spokesperson for Foxx’s office said First Assistant State’s Attorney Joseph Magats would instead serve as acting state’s attorney in the case. “Out of an abundance of caution, the decision to recuse herself was made to address potential questions of impartiality based upon familiarity with potential witnesses in the case,” the statement said, according to WMAQ-TV. No further information was provided on the reason behind for the recusal. Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said Tuesday that authorities determined a tip they were investigating about a possible sighting of Smollett and the brothers who were previously suspected in the attack were unfounded. “It was not supported by video evidence obtained by detectives,” Guglielmi said. Original report: Authorities are investigating a tip that Smollett was seen in an elevator in his apartment building with two men who have since been arrested on suspicion of carrying out the attack in downtown Chicago, and were subsequently released without charges, police told The Associated Press. The men, who were identified by attorney Gloria Schmidt as brothers Olabinjo Osundairo and Abimbola Osundairo, were released without charges Friday after police said new evidence surfaced in the case, according to CNN and police.  >> 'I will only stand for love': 'Empire' actor Jussie Smollett performs in California after attack Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi told The Associated Press a person who lives in the building or who was visiting someone there reported seeing the Osundairo brothers with Smollett on the night he was attacked. Guglielmi told the AP that as of Tuesday, officers had yet to confirm the account. Smollett told officers he was attacked around 2 a.m. Jan. 29, as he was walking downtown near the Chicago River. He said two men yelled that he was in “MAGA country” -- an apparent reference to President Donald Trump’s campaign slogan, “Make American Great Again” -- and that they hit him in the face, poured an “unknown substance” on him and wrapped a rope around his neck, The Associated Press reported. >> Jussie Smollett's attorneys say he will not meet with investigators, despite reports Guglielmi told the AP that Smollett still had a rope around his neck when officers first made contact with him after the alleged attack. Last week, police announced that the 'investigation had shifted' following interviews with the brothers and their release from custody without charges. Police have requested another interview with Smollett. They have declined to comment on reports that the attack was a hoax, a claim Smollett’s attorneys have denied. 'Nothing is further from the truth and anyone claiming otherwise is lying,' Smollett’s attorneys said in a statement late Saturday. Authorities continue to investigate. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Body cam video shows officer rescue man left to die in parking lot

Body cam video shows officer rescue man left to die in parking lot

Body camera video captured the moment a Marietta police officer saved a father who was shot and left to die in a parking lot outside his apartment.  Officer Joe Jenkins heard the call over the radio and rushed to the scene. 'I knew that urgency of the call and decided to respond,' the officer told Channel 2's Chris Jose . 'You never know. Sometimes these scenes turn rapidly.' Santos Vincente had been robbed, shot and left for dead in the parking lot of his apartment complex after someone followed him home from the grocery store.  He was bleeding out when Jenkins arrived at the scene.  'The scene was more like a combat zone. There was a lot of blood which would've been frightening to a lot of people,' he said. Despite the tense moments, the six-year veteran wasn't fazed. He created a tourniquet that helped save the man's life. Jenkins credited his training and his 14 years with the United States Marine Corps.  'Moments like this are the reasons why we chose this profession,' he said. TRENDING STORIES: Barking dog leads to major drug-making operation in neighborhood, police say Teacher denies hitting girl, 5, in eye with ruler: 'Her eczema was acting up' Major new developments in mother of 5, Tamla Horsford's, death Jose tracked down Vincente, who had a message he wanted to share with the department. 'I'm glad. I have a second try at life. I appreciate them,' he said. Vincente survived the April 2018 shooting and agreed on Wednesday to talk about the attack for the first time.  'They hit my head first, so that’s why I didn’t see who did it. Because it was night. It was dark,' Vincente said.  The husband and father of two believes someone followed him to his apartment on Chesnut Hill. Police said the shooter still has not been identified and the case remains unsolved.  'To be honest, all of us were surprised that this individual lived,' Marietta police officer Chuck McPhilamy told Jose.  On Monday, the police chief honored Jenkins with a prestigious medal for his bravery. 

Stay alert for flooding in some areas

Stay alert for flooding in some areas

The National Weather Service for Atlanta has not only expanded the coverage of the flood risk but upgraded it to a FLASH FLOOD WATCH, meaning flooding can occur rapidly(in a flash) especially in low-lying areas and flood prone locations near creeks and rivers. Rain will be increasing in coverage this evening, some heavy, with thunder and lightning in some areas as well. The soils are soggy and completely saturated so all additional rain will run-off into sewers, ravines, creeks, streams and rivers. Trees can fall due to the saturated root zone even without strong winds. Some area creeks have already flooded and all area creeks and streams are already running full thanks to the rain of the past couple days. For more follow me on Twitter and download the WSB RADIO APP.

Start of prison term for Michael Cohen delayed until May Recovering from recent shoulder surgery, and with plans to testify before at least three Congressional committees, Michael Cohen was granted an extra sixty days by a federal judge to report to prison to serve his three year sentence for campaign finance violations and lying to Congress in a case that has drawn the personal ire of President Donald Trump.