ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
86°
Mostly Clear
H 90° L 68°
  • cloudy-day
    86°
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Clear. H 90° L 68°
  • clear-day
    90°
    Today
    Mostly Clear. H 90° L 68°
  • clear-day
    91°
    Tomorrow
    Mostly Clear. H 91° L 69°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Local
WSB History - The 1920s
Close

WSB History - The 1920s

WSB History - The 1920s
Henry Ford (seated) asked to see WSB when he visited Atlanta in 1922. At far right is Maj. John S. Cohen, editor and publisher of The Atlanta Journal and founder of WSB. Others are (L) Montgomery Haynes, Ford district manager; Mercer Lee, secretary to Atlanta Mayor James L. Key; and L. W. (Chip) Robert, architect and business and civic leader.

WSB History - The 1920s

The history of WSB is the history of an industry. It’s the history of Atlanta. And it’s the foundation of everything you hear on the air--or online―today. There’d be no Neal Boortz or Cap’n Herb without a fellow named Lambdin Kay. On our 90th anniversary, a brief recap...

Literally just hours after getting formal approval from the federal government, WSB signed on the air on March 15, 1922―in a media landscape far removed from anything we’d recognize today. No television; no internet; movies had no sound; and radio itself had been little more than a tool for communication with ships at sea, or a hobby for buffs who’d built homemade sets. What we’d consider modern “broadcasting” began in 1920, with the reporting of election returns (Harding wins!); the first radio “commercial” is widely regarded to have aired in August, 1922 in New York City, several months after WSB had taken to the airwaves in Atlanta―the first radio station in the region, soon nicknamed “The Voice of the South”. There were barely 600,000 people living in the entire metro, at the time.

Hear the first recorded example of the "WSB Chimes" and announcer Lambdin Kay. [3:23] You’ve heard this for decades billed as an actual WSB broadcast, but it wasn’t—it’s a phonograph record with the radio announcer added as a novelty, a minor fad at the time.  

Hear the first actual recording of a WSB broadcast. Announcer Lambdin Kay is one of a group of broadcasters speaking at a technical trade show on December 8, 1925. [4:17] This is an ultra-rare recording, and a fun example of the standard ‘announcer delivery’ of the day.

Its call letters said to stand for “Welcome South, Brother,” WSB moved from quarters in the Atlanta Journal building to the Biltmore Hotel in 1925; the first known recording of the station―featuring pioneering General Manager Lambdin Kay―also dates from 1925. WSB used a distinctive three-note “chime” (think of the tune “Over There” in reverse) as on-air identification; reportedly after being heard by a network executive on a WSB broadcast, this exact same sequence turned up several years later on the NBC network and is still in use today as the famous “NBC chimes”. Program logs indicate WSB carried the inaugural NBC broadcast in November, 1926. Early programming was incredibly dry yet not dissimilar to the content of today: news, market reports, weather forecasts. There was also a “silent hour” in the evening, so listeners could scan for sounds of faraway broadcasting stations.

Read More

News

  • Alabama Public Television is standing by its decision not to air an episode of the PBS Kids show “Arthur.” The first episode of the 22nd season, titled “Mr. Ratburn and the Special Someone,” features the first gay wedding in the show’s history. In the episode, Arthur’s teacher, Mr. Ratburn, marries a chocolatier named Patrick. >> Read more trending news  APT ran a repeat episode instead and said it does not plan to show the season premiere. “Parents have trusted Alabama Public Television for more than 50 years to provide children’s programs that entertain, educate and inspire,” APT director of programming Mike McKenzie said in a statement to AL.com. “More importantly — although we strongly encourage parents to watch television with their children and talk about what they have learned afterwards — parents trust that their children can watch APT without their supervision. We also know that children who are younger than the ‘target’ audience for ‘Arthur’ also watch the program.” Related: 'Arthur' character Mr. Ratburn gets married, comes out as gay on PBS Kids show McKenie told NBC News the station would have taken away parents’ ability to choose what their children watch. “The vast majority of parents will not have heard about the content, whether they agree with it or not,” he said. “Because of this, we felt it would be a violation of trust to broadcast the episode.” APT was among many PBS member stations that didn’t air a 2005 episode of the “Arthur” spin off “Postcards From Buster.” In the episode, titled “Sugartime!” the character Buster visits Hinesburg, Vermont, to learn about the production of maple sugar. He meets children who live with their mother and stepmother. The couple are referred to as partners in the episode. WGBH, a member station that produces “Arthur” and “Postcards from Buster,” aired the episode and offered it to other stations, some of which chose to air it.
  • A mile-long, walnut-shaped asteroid with its own moon is set to pass Earth on Saturday, according to scientists. >> Read more trending news  The asteroid, known as 1999 KW4, will come within 3.2 million miles of Earth -- its second-closest approach in the past 20 years, WGRZ-TV reported. While this is considered close it’s still a safe distance from Earth. The asteroid is considered a binary system, meaning it consists of one large asteroid and a smaller moon orbiting it, CNet reported. The Las Cumbres Observatory describes its shape as “slightly squashed at the poles and with a mountain ridge around the equator, which runs all the way around the asteroid. This ridge gives the primary an appearance similar to a walnut or a spinning top.” The asteroid will best be observed Saturday from the Southern Hemisphere. However, stargazers in the Northern Hemisphere may be able to catch a glimpse of it Monday using an 8-inch-diameter telescope, EarthSky.org reported. The next time the asteroid will be visible from Earth will be in 2036, when it will be even closer. More information about viewing 1999 KW4 can be found here.
  • Nasty Nick, Evil Eddie, Junky Jeff and Kim Kong are making a comeback -- on your phone. >> Read more trending news  Those 1980s collectible cards misfits return as a mobile app in “Garbage Pail Kids: The Game,” creator Jago Studios announced in a joint news release with The Topps Company on Tuesday. “Garbage Pail Kids: The Game” is a card collecting and strategy role-playing mobile game available on the App Store. Jago Studios developed the game under license from Topps, which originated the sticker trading cards in 1985 as a parody of the popular Cabbage Patch Kids dolls. The sticker cards even led to a 1987 film, “The Garbage Pail Kids Movie.”  Production of the cards stopped in 1988 after sales dwindled, but a new generation of Garbage Pail Kids stickers were introduced in 2003. “An entire generation grew up with the outrageous and satirical character art of the Garbage Pail Kids, imagining what the cards would look like if they were to come to life,” Stuart Drexler, Jago Studios CEO, said in a news release. “We are excited to bring these ’80s icons to mobile and offer GPK fans entertaining new ways to interact with their favorite characters.” The mobile game incorporates fully animated versions of the 1980s cards and beyond to battle against other Garbage Pail Kids, Jago said in its release. “When GPK was originally launched back in the day, mobile games or mobile phones did not exist,” Ira Friedman, vice president of global licensing at Topps, said in a news release. “Thanks to the giant leaps in technology since those early times, our fans can now experience the fun, the thrills, and the visual audaciousness of the Garbage Pail Kids property through their phones— whenever they want.” 
  • A newborn hospitalized in grave condition after police said he was cut from his slain mother’s womb last month has opened his eyes for the first time, according to multiple reports. >> Read more trending news Police said the boy’s mother, 19-year-old Marlen Ochoa-Lopez, was killed April 23 by a woman she met through a Facebook group geared toward young mothers. Authorities said Clarisa Figueroa, 46, called 911 after cutting the baby from his mother’s body to falsely claim she’d given birth to a child who was not breathing. Tests later confirmed the boy was not Figueroa’s. >> 3 charged in connection with slain pregnant woman found with baby cut from womb The child, who family members have named Yovanny Jardiel, remained hospitalized Tuesday in critical condition, according to WMAQ-TV. He is not expected to survive. Cecilia Garcia, a student pastor who has been helping Ochoa-Lopez’s family, told CNN she was photographing the baby Sunday as his father, Yovany Lopez, held him at the hospital. 'We were just praying and praying, and he opened his eyes,” Garcia told CNN. “His dad said, ‘Oh my God, he opened his eyes!'' She shared images of Lopez and his son early Monday on Facebook. 'We've been blessed, although this is a really bad tragedy,” Garcia told CNN. “They're such a loving and humble family and it's just so wrong what happened to them.' Authorities said Figueroa plotted for months to get a newborn following the death by natural causes of her adult son, The Associated Press reported. Prosecutors said she strangled Ochoa-Lopez with a coaxial cable while her daughter, 24-year-old Desiree Figueroa, showed the pregnant woman a photo album of Clarisa Figueroa’s late son. >> Woman faked pregnancy for months before killing mother-to-be, cutting baby from womb, reports say Authorities have charged both Figueroas with one count each of first-degree murder and aggravated battery to a child. Clarisa Figueroa’s boyfriend, 40-year-old Piotr Bobak, was also arrested on one count of concealment of a homicide. Police said first responders found Yovanny Jardiel blue after Clarisa Figueroa reported he was not breathing on April 23, according to The Associated Press. They tried to resuscitate the infant and transported the boy to a nearby hospital, where police said he was in grave condition. When Figueroa went to the hospital, doctors who examined her found 'no signs consistent with a woman who had just delivered a baby.' She also had blood on her arms, hands and face that authorities later determined was from Ochoa-Lopez, prosecutors said. It was not clear whether the hospital contacted police. In a statement issued Friday, Christ Medical Center in suburban Oak Lawn declined to comment, citing federal and state regulations. Oak Lawn police said they were not contacted about Figueroa by the medical center or any other agency, including the Chicago Police Department. Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart has asked the Department of Child and Family Services to determine whether hospital officials followed proper reporting procedures after Figueroa and the baby were brought to the hospital, WLS-TV reported. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • The annual Barbacoa & Big Red Festival is a food festival in San Antonio, but organizers are happier when visitors leave their knives at home. >> Read more trending news  Along with stun guns and other weapons, KSAT reported. Officials said they collected more than 600 weapons Sunday during the event, according to the festival’s Facebook page. 'Safety for our patrons is our number one priority. We are very proud to say that not a single altercation or arrest occurred at our festival,' a spokesman for the festival wrote on its Facebook page. Vigilance by festival organizers resulted in no arrests, KENS reported. Event founder DJTONYC said the delays caused by searching bags for weapons were worth it. 'Fast forward to the end of the night, if you want to know how many arrests we had, how many altercations, how many intoxicated people that we had to arrest and kick out, the answer was zero. So I mean, to me, that's successful,' DJTONYC told Spectrum News.
  • Little Caesars is making the Impossible possible for pizza lovers.  The pizza chain announced on Monday it is launching the Impossible Foods’ Supreme pizza, topped with Impossible sausage made from plants, caramelized onions, mushrooms and green peppers. >> Read more trending news  “Little Caesars has a long history of innovation aimed at providing our customers with value, quality, and convenience. Any product we introduce must deliver on those brand pillars while appealing to our loyal, mostly carnivorous, fans,' Little Caesars President and CEO David Scrivano said in a Monday news release. “I’m confident that the Impossible Supreme Pizza will go down as one of the most surprising and satisfying menu sensations of 2019. This is likely just the beginning of plant-based menu items from Little Caesars.” Burger King announced in April it is adding the Impossible Whopper to its menu nationwide. Related: Burger King to offer plant-based Impossible Whopper at US restaurants The plant-based vegan patty, made of water, plant proteins, coconut oil and heme, a natural molecule that gives burgers their distinctive taste and is found in plants, is designed to look and taste like a traditional red meat burger. The same technology used for the Impossible Burgers makes the Impossible sausage possible. “Customers have been asking for Impossible Sausage for years — and when Little Caesars said they wanted a unique, delicious pizza topping, our team developed more than 50 prototypes,” Impossible Foods’ CEO and founder Patrick O. Brown said in a statement. “One product stood out from the rest. You need to taste it to believe it.” The Impossible Supreme Pizza is currently available in three Little Caesars test markets in Ft. Meyers, Florida, Albuquerque, New Mexico, and Yakima, Washington. It is $12, not including tax.