‘Tis the season for fire ants. Looking for relief? Here are 5 home remedies to kill those nasty boogers
5 Things that listeners swear kill fire ants…
- Sprinkle grits around the mound. The ants will eat them, the grit will expand, and the ant will die. No word on whether cheese grits are more effective…
- Scoop into a fire ant mound and place that on another fire ant mound. The thinking is that the fire ants will wage war on each other and exterminate themselves.
- Hot water. Pour hot water on mound. This either drowns or scalds them, but either one is good by me.
- Pour gasoline on the mound. For me this makes more sense than hot water, especially if you ignite it after you pour. Warning, duh, this is not too safe, not to mention bad for your yard.
- Lawn mower. My favorite. Ok, be honest here – who hasn't taken pride in mowing a fire ant bed?
Truth be told you will not be rid of the fire ant bed until the queen is killed or over-thrown by a prince with really big ears who has been waiting for a long time for the very old Queen to step aside so he can at least be the King for a little time while he can still enjoy it.
I would love to hear your home remedy. Send it to me and I will post it in a future newsletter.