ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
80°
Partly Cloudy T-storms
H 86° L 72°
  • cloudy-day
    80°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy T-storms. H 86° L 72°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    86°
    Today
    Partly Cloudy T-storms. H 86° L 72°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    85°
    Tomorrow
    Partly Cloudy T-storms. H 85° L 71°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Students Lunch Debt to be Settled by GoFundMe Campaign

Students Lunch Debt to be Settled by GoFundMe Campaign

News

  • Texas police arrested a man they said was using fake identification to cash checks, KHOU reported. >> Read more trending news  The Fort Bend County Constable's Office, Precinct 2, posted photos of the suspect, who was not identified, in a Facebook post. The man was arrested at a Regions Bank in Katy on Wednesday, KHOU reported. He was charged with using a fraudulent ID and theft, the television station said.  Police said $6,200 in cash was recovered. According to authorities, the man had 'multiple fake IDs' and had gone to several banks in the area. 'This is a rare occurrence but our quick response caught him in the act,' the Constable's Office posted on Facebook.
  • Authorities arrested an 11th person Tuesday in connection with the ambush shooting last week of former Red Sox slugger David Ortiz in the Dominican Republic. >> Read more trending news  Prosecutors are expected to release more information at a news conference scheduled for 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, according to CNN. An unidentified official told The Associated Press that Franklin Junior Merán was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of renting one of the cars used in the June 9 shooting in Santo Domingo. Ten other suspects have already been ordered to spend a year in preventive detention as the investigation continues, including the accused shooter. Authorities say they are looking for at least three other suspects, including the man they believe paid the hit men. Ortiz continued recovering Wednesday in the intensive care unit at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. Ortiz’s wife, Tiffany Ortiz, said doctors upgraded Ortiz’s condition to good Tuesday. “We remain grateful to everyone who has helped David through this ordeal, both in the Dominican Republic and here in Boston,” Tiffany Ortiz said in a statement released by the Red Sox. “David’s journey to good health has been bolstered by the many expressions of love that have come to us from across the globe. Your support has lifted his spirits tremendously during this challenging time.” Authorities continue to investigate. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • A warning about a popular payment app used by big banks like Capital One, JP Morgan Chase, Wells Fargo, Bank of America and PNC Bank. Many people are seeing their money disappear and the banks are doing little or nothing to get your money back.
  • Three Arizona teenagers are accused of setting off fireworks that sparked a brush fire in north Phoenix, police said. >> Read more trending news  The teens, all 16, were questioned by police Tuesday, KNXV reported. According to Phoenix Fire officials, the two-alarm fire burned up and over a nearby mountain, KSAZ reported. However, crews were able to put out the fire before it threatened a nearby neighborhood, according to KNXV. The teens admitted to lighting the fireworks, Phoenix Fire Capt. Rob McDade told the television station. “The first thing I thought was oh my God is that my house? Is it my dog? What’s going on?' Jordan Sims, who lives nearby told KNXV. 'It puts you kind of in like a panic mode, like am I going to have to pick everything up and get out of here within the next 30 minutes? We probably would not have been prepared for that.” It is illegal in Arizona to set off fireworks until June 24. “It’s illegal to set them off, it’s illegal to start a fire. They did admit to it pretty early so I think right now we are working with their parents and the fire investigators trying to figure out what really should be done out here,' McDade told KNXV. “I'm sure the thrill of lighting off fireworks sounds pretty good -- but you have to understand --- I mean even at the age of 16, this is a high brush(fire) season. All everything wants to do is catch on fire right now.”
  • A Wisconsin man allegedly told police it was 'a beautiful ride.' >> Read more trending news  Authorities, however, were not amused when Matthew R. Wilson, 51, took a sailboat from the Sheboygan Yacht Club for a joyride, the Sheybogan Press reported. According to a criminal complaint, Wilson, who is homeless, was charged Tuesday with theft of more than $100,000 and criminal damage to property, the newspaper reported. Sheboygan police were called to a Coast Guard station Saturday regarding the theft of the 40-foot Tartan 4000.sailboat, which is valued between $400,000 and $450,000, WITI reported. According to the criminal complaint, Wilson told police he had been kicked out of the Salvation Army because he was intoxicated, WISN reported.. He went from boat to boat in the marina until he found one open. the television station reported. According to police, Wilson found the keys and started the boat's engine before driving it away from the marina. Wilson said when he went to roll a cigarette, the boat ran ashore, WISN reported. Wilson was identified as the only person on the boat. The sailboat was ultimately towed back to the Coast Guard station. According to court documents, Wilson told police 'It was a beautiful ride. It was a beautiful ride, at least,' when he was taken into custody, the Press reported. An officer said there were scuff marks on the boat's hull, a gouge on the stern and partially consumed beer cans on deck, according to the criminal complaint. Wilson's preliminary breath test registered at .162, which is double the legal limit in Wisconsin, WITI reported. Wilson made a court appearance Tuesday. His preliminary hearing is scheduled for June 26, the television reported.
  • A 2-year-old girl who was diagnosed with a rare form of ovarian cancer is now cancer-free. ABC News reported that McKenna Shea Xydias has had four rounds of chemotherapy since she was diagnosed in February.  McKenna’s parents, Mike Xydias and Meagan Xydias, said they got the good news on June 12, less than four months after being diagnosed with an ovarian yolk sac tumor. Dr. Katie Sutton, the pediatric oncologist for the Aflac Cancer and Blood Disorders Center at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, was direct with the update. “Dr. Sutton came in -- she just got straight to it and said, ‘Scans were clear. There’s nothing there,’” Meagan Xydias told “Good Morning America.” “We sat and cried and held each other for a minute.” >> Read more trending news  Sutton said McKenna has done well and hasn’t had any serious or unexpected side effects outside of needing some blood transfusions. According to the U.S. Department of Heath & Human Services, childhood ovarian cancer accounts for less than 5% of all ovarian cancer cases. The Xydiases learned of McKenna’s diagnosis after a series of early day care pickups that started in January. Day care staff said she had a fever.  On Feb. 7, day care staff told the Xydiases that McKenna’s belly was bloated and she looked uncomfortable, so they took her home. After a trip to the doctor and a high fever a week later, she went to a pediatrician, who took an X-ray. Her bowels looked full, Mike Xydias said the doctors told them. They took their daughter to the hospital and after a CT and MRI, doctors determined there were multiple cancerous tumors.  McKenna went into surgery and started chemotherapy. Fundraisers were held to help with medical costs and updates were provided on a Facebook page called Fight with Kenni. >> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news  By June, the page had a happy update. “Thank you so much for all the prayers and for keeping us in your thoughts for the past 4 months. Our journey began 2/14 and today, 6/12, Kenni has officially kicked cancer’s (expletive)!” the post said. “We couldn't have gotten through this without your love, support, and prayers. Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts! We thank God every day for taking care of our baby and giving us such faithful prayer warriors to help us get through this nightmare. “Today, we saw the oncologist and were told that all of Kenni’s scans were clear. No evidence of disease in her abdomen (everything that was left over after surgery has been taken care of). X-rays showed no evidence of disease in her chest (so nothing spread).” McKenna will have her levels checked for six months to determine if cancer has come back after treatment. Her parents continue to celebrate their daughter’s health. “There’s the medical aspect of, ‘Tust your gut when it comes to your or your child’s health,’ and there’s the life aspect of, ‘Enjoy every minute,’” Meagan Xydias said.