ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
84°
Partly Cloudy
H -° L 74°
  • cloudy-day
    84°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H -° L 74°
  • cloudy-day
    Today
    Partly Cloudy. H -° L 74°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    90°
    Tomorrow
    Partly Cloudy T-storms. H 90° L 73°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Dutch Supreme Court upholds Srebrenica deaths liability

The Dutch Supreme Court upheld Friday a lower court's ruling that the Netherlands is partially liable in the deaths of some 350 Muslim men who were murdered by Bosnian Serb forces during the 1995 Srebrenica massacre.

The Netherlands' highest court ruled that Dutch United Nations peacekeepers evacuated the men from their military base near Srebrenica on July 13, 1995, despite knowing that they "were in serious jeopardy of being abused and murdered" by Bosnian Serb forces.

Presiding Judge Kees Streefkerk said "the state did act wrongfully" and told relatives of the dead they can now claim compensation from the Dutch government.

"They are responsible and they will always have a stain," Munira Subasic, one of the relatives who brought the case, said angrily of the Dutch. "We know what happened; we don't need this court to tell us."

The ruling upholding a 2017 appeals court judgment was the latest in a long-running legal battle by a group of relatives known as The Mothers of Srebrenica to hold the Dutch government accountable for the deaths of their family members in Europe's worst massacre since World War II.

Dutch Defense Minister Ank Bijleveld-Schouten said the government accepted the ruling.

"We want to express again our sympathy to the relatives of the victims," she said in a statement. "The Srebrenica genocide must never be forgotten."

The 350 men were among 5,000 terrified Muslim residents of the Srebrenica area who took shelter in the Dutch peacekeepers' base when the region was overrun by Bosnian Serb forces commanded by Gen. Ratko Mladic, who was convicted of genocide by a U.N. war crimes tribunal in 2017 for masterminding the massacre that left some 8,000 Muslim men and boys dead. Mladic has appealed.

The Supreme Court said that relatives of the slain men are eligible to claim 10% of their financial damages because the court estimated that the men would have had a 10% chance of survival if the Dutch troops had allowed them to remain inside their compound. The estimate was lower than the lower court's previous ruling of 30%, meaning that the potential compensation is lower.

"The Dutch government is responsible for genocide," said relative Kada Hotic. "One percent or 10%, it does not matter - they are responsible."

She added: "We don't care about money, we wanted justice."

The relatives found support from Remko de Bruijne, a veteran of the Dutch peacekeeping force, known as Dutchbat, who attended the hearing in The Hague.

"I can understand their reaction because I don't think it's fair," De Bruijne told Associated Press outside the court. "It's not a fair thing. If people make mistakes — and Dutchbat made a mistake — so be it, that's fine. I mean, I'm human I can make mistakes. But to say you made a mistake but it's like 10%, that's not fair."

Dutch judgments in the case have been hailed as internationally significant in establishing that governments can be held liable if the peacekeepers they send on U.N. missions fail to protect civilians during armed conflicts.

The Supreme Court did not follow legal advice from its own Advocate General, who issued a non-binding advisory opinion earlier this year calling the 2017 Dutch judgment "irrational" and saying it "cannot be upheld."

The case revolves around the role played by the outnumbered and outgunned Dutch U.N. peacekeepers stationed in the Srebrenica enclave in eastern Bosnia as Mladic's Bosnian Serb forces overran the area.

It focuses on some 350 men who were among the 5,000 terrified Muslims who took refuge in the Dutch battalion's base near Srebrenica but were expelled by the peacekeepers as part of a mass evacuation.

The Dutch forces improvised a funnel of vehicles and troops through which the Muslims left the base. As they did, Mladic's forces picked out the men, took them away and later killed them.

In its 2017 judgment, the Hague Court of Appeal ruled that the Dutch forces' actions deprived the men of any chance of survival. The court estimated their chance of survival if they had stayed in the Dutch compound at around 30% and said the Dutch state was liable for 30% of losses suffered by their surviving relatives. The Supreme Court lowered that number to 10%.

After overrunning Srebrenica, Bosnian Serb forces sorted thousands of Muslim residents by gender, then trucked the males away and began killing them. The bodies were plowed into hastily dug mass graves, which were later bulldozed and scattered among other burial sites in an attempt to hide evidence of the massacre.

Read More

News

  • While plentiful in tropical waters, it’s very unusual to spot the solitary and elusive whale shark in the Atlantic Ocean near the coast of Virginia, but to the delight of a fisherman off the state’s Eastern Shore that’s exactly what happened Saturday morning. >> Read more trending news  Capt. Brian Esteppe told The Virginia-Pilot that he was about 5 miles off shore with two customers who had chartered his boat when he saw the massive fish swimming nearby. “We just kinda see this object appear,” Esteppe told the Pilot, describing it as a “big dark shadow.”Esteppe recorded the encounter and posted the video to social media. “You will not believe this folks,” he said as the shark swam near the boat. “Man, this is the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen. … Oh, my God, that’s so wild.” Whale sharks, an endangered species, are the largest fish in the sea and are found in all the tropical oceans, according to National Geographic. They can grow as large as 40 feet long and weigh as much as 20 tons. They feed predominantly on plankton and small fish. Esteppe said he recognized the shark by the gray and white spots on its body and was able to touch it as it swam by, the Pilot reported. “It was just a beautiful sight,” he said, adding that it “swam off just as graceful as it came in.”
  • Authorities announced on Thursday the arrest of Chuyen Vo in connection to the stabbing death of retired administrator at a college campus in Southern California. >> Read more trending news  The man is suspected of stabbing former California State University Fullerton administrator Steven Shek Keung Chan, 57, to death Monday in a parking lot at the school. 9 p.m. EDT Aug. 22: Neighbors of the suspect said they couldn’t imagine he’d commit such a crime. Vo’s neighbor, Michael Wood, said Vo lived with his wife, mother-in-law and children and had a side job selling life insurance and annuities. Another neighbor, Gloria Venlet, said Vo always was smiling, and she’s stunned by the arrest. No one answered the door at Vo’s home. 5 p.m. EDT Aug. 22: The suspect in the stabbing death of Chan was a co-worker, according to the Washington Post.  Lt. Jon Radus said Thursday that 51-year-old Chuyen Vo was arrested Wednesday night at his home in Huntington Beach. Radus would not comment on the work relationship of the suspect and the victim, 57-year-old Steven Shek Keung Chan. Update 2:35 p.m. EDT Aug. 22: Authorities are expected to announce an arrest in the case at a news conference scheduled to start at 1 p.m. Thursday, KTLA and KABC reported. Police said they found Chan around 8:30 a.m. Monday with several stab wounds in a parking lot on the Cal State Fullerton campus. He was pronounced dead at the scene. Authorities have said they were searching for a suspect in the case, described as an Asian man with black hair in his mid-20s. Police have not identified a suspect by name. Update 12:55 p.m. EDT Aug. 20: Police released a sketch Tuesday of the man suspected of stabbing 57-year-old Steven Shek Keung Chan to death one day earlier in a parking lot at Cal State Fullerton. Authorities said the man was last seen running northbound on Langsdorf Drive and then eastbound on Nutwood Avenue. Police believe he might have been injured in the attack and might have lacerations to one or both of his hands. Police said officers recovered a backpack which they believe belonged to the suspect during their investigation. It was found under Chen's vehicle and contained 'an incendiary device along with numerous items that were consistent with a kidnapping attempt or plot, including zip ties, wigs and other disguise materials,' police said. The bag also contained a knife separate from the one used in Monday's attack, according to authorities. Police believe Chan, who recently returned to the school as a special consultant after retiring as an administrator in 2017, was specifically targeted in the attack, according to authorities and the Los Angeles Times. Police continue to investigate. Original report: Authorities are searching for a suspect after a retired administrator was stabbed and killed Monday on a Southern California college campus. According to the Los Angeles Times, authorities said Steven Shek Keung Chan, 57, of Hacienda Heights, had several stab wounds when police found him in his car, which was parked in a lot on California State University's Fullerton campus, about 8:30 a.m. Monday. Police also discovered an 'incendiary device,' which did not go off, nearby, the newspaper reported. Police believe the assailant specifically targeted Chan, who recently returned as a special consultant after retiring as director of budget and finance and student services for extended education in 2017, the Times reported. In a tweet, university police described the suspect, who reportedly fled the scene and was still on the run late Monday, as an Asian man in his mid-20s with black hair. He was wearing black pants and a black shirt, authorities said. No further information was immediately available. In a letter to students, faculty and staff, university President Framroze Virjee called the attack 'tragic and senseless.' 'As the investigation into Steven’s death is ongoing, we are unable to provide information beyond what the Fullerton Police share publicly,' the letter read. 'What I can do, however, is join all of you in adding to the tremendous outreach of love and support that has already embraced our Titan Family during this tragic and difficult time. That begins with pausing in thought and prayer for Steven, his family, and all Titans who are grieving and grappling with the reality of such an unspeakable act and tragic loss in our community.' >> Read the full letter here Read more here.
  • A woman in Seminole County, Florida, is calling her husband a hero after their family was able to escape a fire that destroyed their home. >> Read more trending news The fire happened Tuesday before 7 a.m. at a mobile home near Altamonte Springs. The couple have a blended family with 10 children ranging from 1 month old to 18 years old. Seven of them were inside the home when it caught fire. Nicole Torres had just dropped off two of the children at school when she pulled back up to her home five minutes later and found it on fire. She said her husband had just lain down when he woke up to find his kitchen in flames. 'He was screaming, 'Fire, fire' running from room to room, trying to get all of our children out.' Her husband had injuries to his arms, feet and shoulders from searching inside the home to get all the children out. One of the boys was trapped in a bedroom and had to be pulled out of a window by the father. 'I will never get this out of my head,' Torres said. 'I will never stop reliving this moment in my head, that I thought my babies were in there burning alive and they survived. He got them out.' The children are now living with Torres' ex-husband, the father of four of the children. He said he took the children in so they wouldn't be split up while the family searches for a new home. 'We will just have to rebuild somehow or another,' Torres said. 'We will get back on our feet.' The fire marshal believes the cause of the fire may an electrical issue.  If you'd like to donate to help the family get back on their feet, click here. 
  • The Medical Examiner’s Office in Fulton County, Georgia, admits it shipped the remains of a suspected murder victim via FedEx, and now it doesn’t know where they are. >> Read more trending news Chief Medical Examiner Jan Gorniak told WSB-TV it sent the remains of Jeffrey Merriweather Jr. to an expert in St. Louis for evaluation in June.  “Since he was partially skeletonized, we couldn’t determine a cause of death,” she said.  However, the remains never made it out of state. Package tracking shows they arrived at a FedEx warehouse in Austell, but no one has seen them since, the news station reported.  Merriweather’s mother Kathleen calls it a “nightmare you can’t wake up from.”  Her husband, Jeffrey Merriweather Sr., said they had to have a funeral service without their son’s body.  “We’re already dealing with the death of him,” he said, “and now this. This is unacceptable to us.”  Merriweather was reported missing June 12 after someone fired shots in the parking lot of an East Point McDonald’s, AJC.com previously reported.  The 31-year-old father of three went to the restaurant on Virginia Avenue the day of the shooting in a black SUV. At some point, he exited the vehicle and got into a white Toyota 4Runner. Then, someone started shooting at the Toyota, police told the news station. Both vehicles drove off, video surveillance footage obtained by WSB-TV showed.  Merriweather was later found dead. The details of what led to his death remain unclear.  A FedEx representative said it is working with the Medical Examiner’s Office to find the missing remains. Gorniak said her office is reviewing policies to make sure this doesn't happen again.  The case remains under investigation. Anyone with information is asked to contact 678-614-7049. Tipsters can remain anonymous, and be eligible for rewards of up to $2,000, by calling Crime Stoppers Atlanta at 404-577-8477, texting information to 274637 or visiting the Crime Stoppers website.
  • A 26-year-old man stole a rare miniature schnauzer worth $17,000 from a breeder for whom he worked and took the dog with him to Michigan, the Seminole County Sheriff's Office said. >> Read more trending news  Investigators said Jacob Parker Lauer admitted to stealing the breeding dog, named Asiago, from Vera Clark on May 13 before moving to Highland, Michigan. Clark, a dog breeder, said Lauer lived in a trailer behind her home and worked for her, caring for puppies, an arrest report said. The kennel manager notified Clark that Lauer and his husband had not turned up for their shifts and had sent a text message, saying they were leaving and not returning because they were fed up with how they were being treated by Clark, the report said. The report said Clark went to the trailer and saw that the men, their belongings, their car and the dog were gone. Clark asked a deputy to look at the trailer, which he described as being 'impeccably clean,' the report said. 'Nothing was out of order. Nothing was damaged,' the deputy said in the report. 'In fact, the men had stripped the bed and made sure the toilet was flushed.' Clark was reunited with her dog Aug. 11. She said Thursday that the reunion brought her great joy. 'When he came here, it was like Christmas. It was like 10 Christmases,' Clark said. 'The dog is not just a dog. It's a family member, and to many people, it's their child. ... Your heart is ripped into a thousand pieces.' She said the allegations against Lauer were surprising because she was so close to him. 'It was a shock to us because we really depended (on him.) We trusted him,' Clark said. 'I even included him in my trust.' Lauer was charged with grand theft. He was released from the Seminole County Jail on Thursday after paying bail.
  • Actor Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson is the highest paid male actor in the world, according to Forbes' annual list, raking in $89.4 million between June 1, 2018, and June 1, 2019. >> Read more trending news  The 'Hobbs & Shaw' star has a pretty good deal when it comes to his pay scale, the magazine reported. He collected an upfront payment of $23.5 million for his upcoming movie 'Jumanji: The Next Level,' $700,000 per episode of HBO's 'Ballers' and seven-figure royalties from his Under Armour line. Behind Johnson, at No. 2 and No. 3, are 'Avengers: Endgame' stars Chris Hemsworth and Robert Downey Jr., respectively. Hemsworth made an estimated $76.4 million in the past year and Downey collected some $66 million, Forbes reported. Rounding out the top 10 are Akshay Kumar with $65 million in earnings, Jackie Chan with $58 million, Bradley Cooper and Adam Sandler tied at No. 6 and making $57 million each, Chris Evans with $43.5 million, Paul Rudd with with $41 million and Will Smith in the 10th spot earning $35 million. Actor and entrepreneur George Clooney made the top spot on Forbes' list of the highest paid actors last year, with Johnson coming in second.