ATLANTA — Almost one month after Hermain Cain was diagnosed with COVID-19, the former Republican presidential candidate remains hospitalized on oxygen, his staff said.
“In the meantime, the doctors say his other organs and systems are strong,” the post continued. “Re-strengthening the lungs is a long and slow process, and the doctors want to be thorough about it. We’d like him to be able to come home now, which is frustrating, but we’re glad the doctors are being thorough and making sure they do the job right.”
The update came weeks after Cain tested positive for the novel coronavirus on June 29 and was admitted to an Atlanta-area hospital on July 1.
"There is no way of knowing for sure how or where Mr. Cain contracted the coronavirus, but we do know he is a fighter who has beaten Stage 4 cancer," his staff wrote in a July 2 social media post.
Cain reportedly was at President Donald Trump’s rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, on June 20. Calabrese also said the radio host had been traveling frequently and visited Arizona, where cases were on the rise.
On Monday, Calabrese thanked Cain's fans for their support.
"Thank you for praying, everyone. Please keep doing it," Calabrese wrote. "He really is getting better, which means it is working."