Following what would have been Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s 91st birthday, Metro Atlanta prepares for a weekend of road work prior to the area’s many celebrations on Monday, Jan. 20th.
We can expect restrictions and overnight work along I-285 between the exits at Roswell Road (Exit 25) in Sandy Springs and Ashford-Dunwoody Road (Exit 29) in Dunwoody, as well as along Georgia/400, just north of I-285 in Sandy Springs.
Also, watch for more work on the west side of I-285 in Cobb County between Paces Ferry Road (Exit 18) and South Cobb Drive (Exit 15), and in the Atlanta/College Park area by Camp Creek Parkway (Exit 2).
I-85 in Jackson County will have lane restrictions in both directions approaching Highway 129 (Exit 137) during overnight hours.
In Downtown Atlanta, watch for building construction to block 17th St. all weekend, between Spring St. and West Peachtree St. Use area alternates!
It may be January, but it’s BOAT SEASON for many enthusiasts in Metro Atlanta! The Atlanta Boat Show takes hold of Georgia World Congress Center this weekend, so expect crowds and surface street volume in downtown Atlanta.
Worldwide ambassadors of Basketball, The Harlem Globetrotters, will be in the area for games on Saturday at Infinite Energy Arena, and one on Sunday at State Farm Arena in Downtown Atlanta.
The Atlanta Hawks host the Detroit Pistons for NBA action at State Farm Arena Friday night, and the L.A. Clippers for their traditional Monday matinee on MLK Day.
Comedian Ron White takes control of Fox Theater for a Saturday night concert, while the ASO celebrates the 250th birthday of Beethoven with special performances all weekend!
*All construction is as GDOT reports it and is weather-permitting. All times, lanes blocked, and locations could change.
ROAD CONSTRUCTION ZONES:
- Sandy Springs: Georgia/400 North from Glenridge Drive (Exit 3) to Abernathy Rd. (Exit 5) during overnight hours.
- Sandy Springs/Dunwoody: I-285/East and West, between Roswell Road (Exit 25) and Ashford-Dunwoody Road (Exit 29). Expect lane restrictions.
- Cobb Co.: I-285/South in two lanes between Paces Ferry Road (Exit 18) and South Cobb Drive (Exit 15) during overnight hours.
- Atlanta: I-285/NB-SB at Camp Creek Parkway (Exit2) in two lanes for overnight hours.
- Atlanta: 17th St. will be blocked between Spring St. and West Peachtree St. all weekend long for building construction projects. Use alternates through Monday, 1/20.
- Jackson Co.: Road work on I-85/North and South. approaching Hwy. 129 (Exit 137) during overnight hours. Expect at least one lane blocked, periodically.
- Atlanta: State Farm Arena- NBA Basketball…Atlanta Hawks vs. Detroit Pistons. Sat. 1/18, 7:30 PM.; Harlem Globetrotters Basketball…Sun. 1/19, 12:30 and 5:30 PM contests.
- Atlanta: Atlanta Symphony Hall: ASO Presents: “Beethoven at 250”. Fri-Sat. 1/17-19, various show times, daily.
- Atlanta: Georgia World Congress Center- Atlanta Boat Show…Fri-Sun. 1/16-19, starting daily at 10:00 AM Daily
- Atlanta: Fox Theater- Comedian Ron White in Concert. Sat. 1/18, 8:00 PM.
- Gwinnett Co.: Infinite Energy Arena- ECHL Hockey: Atlanta Gladiators vs. Orlando Solarbears. Fri. 1/17, 7:30 PM; Harlem Globetrotters Basketball. Sat. 1/18, 2:00 and 7:00 PM.
- Sugar Hill: Atlanta Track Club- “Chilly Willy 5K-10K/Half Marathon”. City Hall, 5039 W. Broad Street. Sat. 1/18, 8:00 AM. Peachtree Industrial Blvd., Alton Tucker Blvd., E.E. Robinson Park. and W. Broad Street will be affected.