ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
80°
Rain
H 83° L 73°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    80°
    Current Conditions
    Rain. H 83° L 73°
  • rain-day
    83°
    Today
    Rain. H 83° L 73°
  • clear-day
    85°
    Tomorrow
    Mostly Clear. H 85° L 66°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

State & Regional
Irving has 32 as Celtics rally in 4th quarter, top Hawks
Close

Irving has 32 as Celtics rally in 4th quarter, top Hawks

Irving has 32 as Celtics rally in 4th quarter, top Hawks
Photo Credit: Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Boston Celtics guard Jaylen Brown (7) shoots as Atlanta Hawks forward Vince Carter (15) defends in the first half of an NBA basketball game against the on Saturday, Jan. 19, 2019, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/Todd Kirkland)

Atlanta Hawks forward DeAndre' Bembry (95) goes up for the shot in the first half of an NBA basketball game against the Boston Celtics on Saturday, Jan. 19, 2019, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/Todd Kirkland)

Boston Celtics center Al Horford (42) shoots in the first half of an NBA basketball game against the Atlanta Hawks on Saturday, Jan. 19, 2019, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/Todd Kirkland)

Boston Celtics head coach Brad Stevens watches during the first half of an NBA basketball game against the Atlanta Hawks on Saturday, Jan. 19, 2019, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/Todd Kirkland)

Irving has 32 as Celtics rally in 4th quarter, top Hawks

ATLANTA (AP) - Kyrie Irving and the Boston Celtics found a way.

Not bad for the second part of back-to-back games.

Irving scored 32 points and the Celtics rallied to beat the Atlanta Hawks 113-105 on Saturday for their third straight win.

After trailing for most of the night, Boston took the lead with a 9-0 fourth-quarter run, including a go-ahead 3-pointer by Jaylen Brown, who had 14 points.

The Celtics had been only 2-5 in the second game of back-to-backs. That made the comeback especially satisfying for coach Brad Stevens.

"We just were gritty ... We need that kind of response to what we've done the last few opportunities we had back-to-backs," Stevens said.

A drive by Irving gave Boston the lead for good at 101-100. Al Horford made four free throws and a layup to help the Celtics increase their advantage to 109-100 with 1:11 left.

Kevin Huerter led Atlanta with 18 points, and fellow rookie Trae Young had 16.

Minutes after he was called for his first technical following his fourth foul about three minutes into the third quarter, Boston's Marcus Smart was ejected following an altercation with Atlanta's DeAndre Bembry.

With Atlanta leading 76-69, Smart and Bembry had to be separated after they exchanged words as players lined up for a jump ball. After being restrained by teammates and coaches, Smart broke free and charged toward Bembry before being restrained again.

Smart did not talk with reporters after the game.

"He lost his cool after the ref told him he's ejected," Bembry said. "I think after that he just thought he had nothing else to lose."

Bembry said it wasn't unusual to see Smart lose control. Irving described Smart as fiery.

"We accept Marcus for who he is ... It's our responsibility to pick him up," Irving said.

Bembry also was called for a technical foul following a video review of the incident.

Boston's Jayson Tatum opened the game with a three-point play. The Hawks scored the next 10 points and kept the lead until Brown's 3-pointer with 9:07 remaining gave Boston a 95-93 edge.

TIP-INS

Celtics: Tatum had 19 points and Horford had 13. ... Due to expected bad weather in the Boston area on Saturday night, there were tentative plans for a return flight on Sunday. Travel concerns also led to F Gordon Hayward remaining in Boston, where his wife is expecting the couple's third child. "With pending weather, there was no reason to make this trip," Stevens said of Hayward.

Hawks: John Collins and Alex Len each had 15 points. ... Collins (bronchitis-like symptoms) and Young (flu-like symptoms) started after being upgraded before the game. ... C Dewayne Dedmon (left ankle sprain) had six points in 24 minutes in his return after missing two games.

KYRIE IN CONTROL

One night after scoring 38 points against Memphis, Irving went 5 for 8 from 3-point range. He pulled the Celtics back from a 50-34 deficit by scoring 15 of Boston's final 19 points of the first half, cutting the Atlanta lead to 67-60.

"The first-half defense just wasn't very good," Stevens said. "Kyrie was special and he kept us in it."

COLD FINISH

After leading 89-83 through three quarters, the Hawks were outscored 30-16 in the final 12 minutes while making only 6 of 20 shots from the field, including 1 of 11 3-pointers.

HOT HUERTER

Huerter continued to shine in his fill-in starting role while Kent Bazemore recovers from a sprained right ankle. Huerter has made 45.5 percent of his 3-point attempts to lead all NBA qualifying rookies. He made 4 of 10 3s against Boston.

UP NEXT

Celtics: Host Miami on Tuesday night.

Hawks: Host Magic on Monday.

___

More AP NBA: https://apnews.com/tag/NBAbasketball and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

Read More

News

  • The U.S. Department of Agriculture is taking a look at changing who is eligible for food stamps. The USDA will rein in the broad-based categorical eligibility, CNN reported. People with higher incomes and savings may be eligible for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, under the categorical eligibility, which helps streamline the application process. It allows people to apply for the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program and gets rid of the asset test and offers a higher income threshold. >> Read more trending news  The Associated Press reported that people can qualify for the least amount of benefits from the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program and still get SNAP benefits. The proposed change announced Tuesday will require some beneficiaries to work to be eligible to claim benefits. The department is also looking at how the poverty threshold is calculated. Recently, the TANF application, which some call a loophole, allowed a millionaire to get financial help, Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said, according to CNN. 'That's is why we are changing the rules, preventing abuse of a critical safety net system, so those who need food assistance the most are the only ones who received it,' Perdue said, according to CNN. The proposal will require those getting TANF to qualify for at least $50 a month in benefits for at least six months before SNAP benefits are automatically granted, the AP reported. Click here to read more on the proposal from the USDA. The public can comment on the proposal for the next 60 days, the AP reported. SNAP currently helps 38 million people to put food on the table. 
  • An Ohio man allegedly asked a therapeutic program worker for chips after having a snack. When the therapist suggested apples as a healthier alternative, the man reportedly punched the woman in the face, breaking her nose and causing a concussion, the Canton Repository reported. >> Read more trending news  Mylon Scott Mayle, 35, was charged Monday with misdemeanor assault and a parole violation, according to Stark County Jail records. He was being held without bond. According to jail records, Mayle was at Heartland Behavioral Healthcare in Massillon. After finishing his snack, Mayle approached a therapeutic program worker and asked for more chips, the Repository reported. When she told him he could have an apple instead, Mayle allegedly punched the woman in the face, according to the newspaper. Mayle was on parole after serving four years in prison for setting fire to a group home where he was staying, according to Stark County court records.
  • Hours after saying he wouldn't leave his own daughter with accused pedophile R. Kelly, the musician's crisis manager stepped down. USA Today reported that Darrell Johnson resigned after walking back comments he made Monday on 'CBS This Morning.' >> Read more trending news  On the morning show, when asked by Gayle King if he would allow his 20-year-old daughter to be alone with Kelly, Johnson said, 'I wouldn’t leave my daughter with anybody that’s accused of pedophilia. Period.' Johnson later told USA Today he spoke poorly. 'I should have worded it better,' Johnson said, adding he also meant to say, 'I would leave my daughter with Kelly because I do not believe he is a pedophile.' In a statement to the publication, Johnson confirmed he was no longer working for Kelly. 'This has nothing to do with Mr. Kelly it's for my (own) person(al) reasons,' he said. It's not clear what exactly Johnson's role with Kelly's team was. He was initially referred to as a publicist or spokesman for the singer, but several of Kelly's attorneys have told USA Today Johnson was not a part of Kelly's defense team. Steve Greenberg, one of Kelly's attorneys, told the publication Johnson was 'acting as a PR person.' But in a since-deleted tweet posted Monday, Greenberg said, 'Darryl Johnson is a crisis manager who has been assisting us and will continue to assist us. He is not a PR person, he is not a spiritual advisor. He has the full confidence of the defense team.' Greenburg later issued a formal statement on Johnson's exit, saying he 'decided to take some time off.' 'As has been reported, Darrel Johnson has decided to take some time off, for personal reasons, from his efforts on behalf of R. Kelly,' Greenberg said in a statement. 'The defense wants to thank Mr. Johnson for his tireless assistance and looks forward to his return. He shares our confidence that this is an unprecedented assault against R. Kelly by others, for their own personal gain, and the innocence of R. Kelly. 'There will be no further comment.
  • Drivers on I-35 in Dallas were surprised Monday morning to see a man driving a Lime scooter with the rest of traffic, cutting through five lanes in a seemingly nonchalant manner. >> Read more trending news  Driver Josh Weatherl captured the scooter rider on video with his dashboard camera just before 9 a.m. The unidentified man, wearing a backpack and headphones -- but no helmet -- checks over his shoulder before he crosses five lanes of traffic in about 15 seconds. Weatherl can be heard in the recording laughing and expressing his disbelief. 'Bro, what are you doing?' Weatherl exclaimed in the recording. 'Oh, my gosh. That is the most wild thing I've ever seen.' The man was probably going about 15 mph in a 60 mph zone, WFAA-TV reported. Weatherl told WFAA-TV he thought the man looked like he knew what he was doing. 'I think he’s done it before based on how calm he was, I don’t think this was his first rodeo,' Weatherl said. A Lime spokesman called the man's actions unsafe and said riders should not take the scooters onto highways, The Dallas Morning News reported.
  • A Denver man accused of murdering his wife can legally use the money from her life insurance policy to pay his defense attorney, KDVR reported. >> Read more trending news  Robert Feldman, 55, officially fired his public defender Monday and rehired a private attorney after the Colorado Supreme Court ruled last month he could use the funds he collected from Stacy Feldman's policy, according to The Denver Post. The court ruled the law firm was an independent third party that was given the money legally, even though the guardian of his two children argued they should receive the funds, the newspaper reported. Robert Feldman was charged with first-degree murder in February 2018 in connection with the strangulation death of Stacy Feldman in 2015, the Post reported. Stacy Feldman was found dead in the couple's shower, but prosecutors said Robert Feldman staged his wife's death to appear she had slipped and fallen, KDVR reported. After he was charged, Robert Feldman paid David Kaplan's law firm $550,000 to defend him, using money from his wife's $751,000 life insurance policy, the television station reported. The family of Stacy Feldman sued in Colorado Probate Court and won. According to court documents, the attorneys for the Feldmans' children argued that allowing Robert Feldman to use the policy money was a violation of Colorado's 'slayer statute,' the Post reported. The law prevents someone from feloniously killed another person from benefiting from their estate, the newspaper reported. The Probate Court ruled in favor of Robert Feldman's children and ordered the law firm to put the money into a court registry until the criminal trial ended, the Post reported. Robert Feldman appealed the decision and the Colorado Supreme Court reversed it, ruling Stacy Feldman's family acted too late to prevent her husband from using the money, KDVR reported. 'The Probate Court, according to the Supreme Court, can’t freeze the money already given to a third party. If Robert Feldman had the money in his account,' criminal defense attorney Dan Recht told the television station. 'Probate Court did have jurisdiction to freeze that money but it was already with the law firm. Kaplan was rehired as Robert Feldman's attorney Monday. Feldman will be arraigned in October, and a judge scheduled a trial to begin next April, KDVR reported.
  • Attorneys for Jeffrey Epstein have appealed a judge's decision last week to hold the wealthy financier and accused child predator in jail pending his trial on allegations of sex trafficking. >> Read more trending news  Epstein's attorneys filed a notice of appeal Monday after U.S. District Court Judge Richard Berman denied their client bail last week. In his decision, Berman cited the potential danger Epstein poses to others and the community. The appeal was made public Tuesday, according to Reuters. Prosecutors last week asked Berman to hold Epstein, 66, without bail, arguing that he is a flight risk and danger to the community. Attorneys for Epstein denied that their client posed a flight risk and asked Berman to allow Epstein to be held under house arrest at his Manhattan mansion. Epstein is accused of sexually exploiting and abusing dozens of girls between 2002 and 2005 at his homes in New York and Florida, allegedly heading a sex trafficking scheme that saw his victims recruiting other girls to be abused.  He has pleaded not guilty to sex trafficking and sex trafficking conspiracy charges. Epstein avoided significant jail time and prosecution in 2008 after he was accused of molesting girls in Palm Beach County, Florida. As part of a plea deal reached with federal prosecutors in Florida, Epstein pleaded guilty to two lesser counts of soliciting a minor for prostitution and agreed to register as a sex offender. He served 13 months in jail as part of the deal.