On Air Now

Listen Now

Weather

rain-day
58°
Rain
H -° L 50°
  • rain-day
    58°
    Current Conditions
    Rain. H -° L 50°
  • rain-day
    Today
    Rain. H -° L 50°
  • heavy-rain-day
    55°
    Tomorrow
    Chance of Rain. H 55° L 41°
Listen
Pause
Error

News on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

Traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

Weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

State & Regional Govt & Politics
Reality Winner could get record-setting sentence in NSA leak case
Close

Reality Winner could get record-setting sentence in NSA leak case

Reality Winner could get record-setting sentence in NSA leak case
Photo Credit: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Reality Winner has pleaded guilty to leaking a top-secret government document about Russian meddling in the 2016 election. She is scheduled to return to a federal courthouse in Augusta this week for sentencing. (Michael Holahan/The Augusta Chronicle via AP)

Reality Winner could get record-setting sentence in NSA leak case

Reality Winner, who pleaded guilty in June to leaking a top-secret government report about Russian meddling in the 2016 election, could receive a record-setting prison term when she is sentenced in a federal court in Augusta Thursday, court records show.

The former National Security Agency contractor faces up to 10 years in prison. But her plea deal with prosecutors calls for her to serve five years and three months behind bars. That is longer than anyone else has been sentenced for an “unauthorized disclosure to the media,” federal prosecutors said in a court filing this month.

The prosecutors are urging Chief U.S. District Court Judge J. Randal Hall to agree to the sentence spelled out in her plea deal. If the judge instead moves to give her a longer sentence, Winner, 26, could withdraw her guilty plea and go to trial.


Earlier stories:

Reality Winner to be sentenced in NSA leak case Aug. 23

Reality Winner to take plea deal in NSA leak case

Former cellmate provides window into Reality Winner’s life behind bars


“The government advises the court that despite the agreed-upon sentence being below the applicable guidelines range, it would be the longest sentence served by a federal defendant for an unauthorized disclosure to the media,” the prosecutors said in their court filing.

The prosecutors added that avoiding a trial would prevent them from having to reveal sensitive government information in court.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Reality Winner, charged with leaking a top-secret government document to a news outlet, walks into the federal courthouse in Augusta, Ga., Tuesday, June 26, 2018. (Michael Holahan/The Augusta Chronicle via AP)
Close

Reality Winner to be sentenced in NSA leak case on Aug. 23

Photo Credit: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Reality Winner, charged with leaking a top-secret government document to a news outlet, walks into the federal courthouse in Augusta, Ga., Tuesday, June 26, 2018. (Michael Holahan/The Augusta Chronicle via AP)

“The agreement reflects a fair resolution of the defendant’s criminal culpability, especially when balanced against the further harm to the national security that would likely result from a trial,” the prosecutors said.

Prosecutors also cited several other similar federal cases in which defendants received shorter prison sentences. In 2013, former FBI bomb technician Donald Sachtleben was sentenced to 43 months in prison for leaking classified information to the Associated Press about a foiled bomb plot in Yemen. That same year, former CIA officer John Kiriakou was given a 30-month sentence for revealing to a freelance journalist the identity of an undercover CIA agent. Two years later, former CIA officer Jeffrey Sterling got a 42-month sentence for leaking to The New York Times classified information about a secret operation to disrupt Iran’s nuclear weapons program.

Winner, the prosecutors said, harmed national security last year when she mailed a copy of a NSA document to The Intercept, an online publication. The Intercept published an article based on the report, saying Russian military intelligence sent spear-phishing emails to more than 100 local election officials and launched a cyberattack against a Florida-based voting software supplier that contracts in eight states.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Whistleblower Support Network paid more than $1,000 for this billboard to remain up for a month on Washington Road near Augusta. “The way Reality Leigh Winner is being treated is a matter of vital public interest,” the group said in a statement. “This case is important to the American people.” LAMAR OUTDOOR ADVERTISING
Close

Reality Winner billboard prompts stern warning from her judge

Photo Credit: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Whistleblower Support Network paid more than $1,000 for this billboard to remain up for a month on Washington Road near Augusta. “The way Reality Leigh Winner is being treated is a matter of vital public interest,” the group said in a statement. “This case is important to the American people.” LAMAR OUTDOOR ADVERTISING

Last week, Winner’s attorneys filed court papers in support of having her detained at the Federal Medical Center Carswell near Fort Worth, Texas. That would place her nearer to her family in Kingsville, Texas, and allow her to get help with her bulimia, an eating disorder. Joel Sickler, a criminologist working with Winner’s attorneys, noted Winner is a U.S. Air Force veteran with no other criminal convictions. She has already spent more than a year behind bars at the Lincoln County Jail outside of Augusta.

“In my opinion,” Sickler wrote, “it would be extremely helpful for Ms. Winner if she were designated to a facility close to her family in Texas, as it would assist with her adjustment to the conditions of confinement, and later, it would be beneficial as she transitions to pre-release at a halfway house.”

Read More

News

  • A California man is accused of entering a home, where the residents said he was making scrambled eggs and eating flan while not wearing pants, authorities said. Carl Cimino, 61, of Desert Hot Springs, was booked into the Riverside County Jail on a charge of residential burglary Tuesday morning, according to arrest records. According to police, three people woke up at their home around 7:30 a.m. and heard banging and yelling in the kitchen. They found Cimino making scrambled eggs with bologna and ranch dressing and eating flan, The Desert Sun reported. According to deputies, Cimino was not wearing pants and refused to leave the residence, the newspaper reported. Deputies finally were able to remove Cimino after using a police service dog, according to the arrest report. Cimino was placed on a gurney and removed from the home by paramedics, according to The Desert Sun. According to jail records, Cimino was free on bail after being arrested Jan. 23 on a drug-related accusation, the newspaper reported. The home’s residents said they were not hurt and there was no damage. They believe Cimino entered the home through an unlocked door, according to The Desert Sun.
  • Nearly all the employees at Orlando’s religious theme park, Holy Land Experience, will lose their jobs this spring. A document sent to the city of Orlando on Monday shows that the theme park will lay off all its staff involved in its stage shows. The move comes after the park announced it will be “shifting the focus of the park away from entertainment and theatrical productions to focus on the Biblical Museum.” Park officials said the layoffs will take effect April 18. In total, according to the Federal Worker Adjustment & Retraining Notification document sent to the city of Orlando, 118 jobs will be eliminated. The restructuring comes as a result of a “corporate wide ministry reorganization,” according to documents filed with the city.
  • A man with a metal detector made an explosive discovery when he found a live mortar from World War II Monday. Police said the munition was a remnant from when the area was used as a training ground during the war. The bomb squad determined the mortar was too unstable to be moved so it was detonated near where it was found. “The blast was heard from a distance, which caused alarm for many residents,” Lebanon police said on social media. “We appreciate everyone’s concerns and phone calls.” Authorities searched the area for more mortars before deeming it safe.
  • Ja’net DuBois, who played feisty neighbor Willona Woods on the 1970s television series “Good Times,” was found dead in her home Tuesday morning, according to a report. She was 74. The actress’ family told TMZ that DuBois died in her sleep at her Glendale, California, home. DuBois played the Evans family’s neighbor on “Good Times,” and also sang the theme song to 1970s sitcom “The Jeffersons,” according to The Hollywood Reporter. DuBois composed and sang “Movin’ On Up” for the show. DuBois won two Emmys Awards for her voice-over work on “The PJs.” She also appeared in movies including “I’m Gonna Git You Sucka,” “Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle” and “Tropic Thunder,” according to The Hollywood Reporter. DuBois also worked on Broadway, performing in productions including “Golden Boy” and “A Raisin in the Sun.” TV Land, which has aired reruns of “Good Times,” tweeted a tribute to the actress, writing that DuBois “would be missed.”
  • A Florida woman died after a deer that went airborne Monday after being hit by a truck struck her vehicle. The passenger in the car, Edna Morgan Griffin, 81, died in the accident. The driver, Katharine Mills Comerford, 58, was taken to a hospital with serious injuries, WDHN reported. Jessie Alton Barnes, 47, hit the deer while driving a 2018 Dodge Ram. The deer flew through the air before crashing through Comerford’s 2010 Ford Escape. Investigators said the deer crashed through the front windshield, striking both Comerford and Griffin before flying through the back window, WDHN reported. No one else was injured.
  • A Texas woman admitted to robbing Sonic Drive-In carhops at two locations; during one of the robberies, her two children were inside the car, authorities said. Monica Michelle Logan, 21, is accused of robbing two employees at two separate Sonic locations in Converse, according to arrest affidavits. Logan’s 8-month-old and 1-year-old children were in the car during one robbery, KSAT reported. Logan was charged with robbery, aggravated robbery, and two counts of endangering a child, according to Bexar County jail records. Her bail was set at $55,000.According to an arrest affidavit, the first robbery occurred Wednesday. The carhop told police she was delivering a drink to Logan, when Logan said she had a gun pointed at her and demanded the money inside her apron, KSAT reported. On Thursday, Converse police were called to a different Sonic, the television station reported. That carhop told police Logan demanded money after ordering an 80-cent drive, according to the arrest affidavit According to the affidavit, Logan told the employee, “If you look down I have a gun. I want the money inside of your apron. If not, I’m going to shoot you,” KSAT reported. The employee told police Logan had two children in the back seat of her car, according to the affidavit. Converse police tracked down the license plate and discovered the vehicle belonged to Logan, the television station reported. Logan later admitted to the robberies and said the children were in the vehicle, according to KSAT.