Broken Clouds
H 94° L 74°
  • cloudy-day
    Current Conditions
    Broken Clouds. H 94° L 74°
  • cloudy-day
    Partly Cloudy. H 94° L 74°
  • clear-day
    Sunny. H 94° L 74°

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

State & Regional Govt & Politics
Georgia presidential primary date uncertain because of voting machines

Georgia presidential primary date uncertain because of voting machines

Georgia presidential primary date uncertain because of voting machines
Voters line up to cast ballots at Henry W. Grady High School in Atlanta for Georgia’s presidential primary in 2016. The state’s primary for 2020 will not be scheduled until new voting machines are put in place. JOHN SPINK / JSPINK@AJC.COM

Georgia presidential primary date uncertain because of voting machines

Georgia election officials won’t set the state’s presidential primary election date until new voting machines are in place.

The delay raised concerns from some county election directors who said they might have to move polling places if churches and other facilities get booked before an election date is announced.

> UPDATE: The Georgia 2020 presidential primary date has been set for March 24

The uncertain timing also creates the possibility that the presidential primary won’t take place until after many other states have already weighed in, potentially diminishing Georgia’s relevance in deciding each party’s candidate. The Georgia primary was held on Super Tuesday — the first Tuesday in March — in each of the past two presidential election years.

Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger is holding off on deciding a date for the 2020 primary until the government completes its $150 million purchase of new statewide voting equipment, likely in July. At least four companies are bidding for the state’s $150 million contract to provide touchscreen voting machines that print out paper ballots, replacing Georgia’s 17-year-old electronic voting system.

“Until a vendor has been chosen — and until a specific implementation plan is designed to distribute Georgia’s new voting machines — we will not set a date for the 2020 presidential preference primary,” Deputy Secretary of State Jordan Fuchs said.

That could make Georgia the last state to decide when voters will head to the polls next year. Almost every other state has already set its presidential primary election, including at least 10 states that will vote on Super Tuesday on March 3.

Douglas County Elections Director Milton Kidd said the uncertainty surrounding the primary election date is already causing complications with scheduling poll workers, printing schedules to mail to voters and booking voting facilities.

“I have 300 poll workers who all have other lives outside of working elections, and I can’t give them a time frame,” Kidd said. “The 2020 election will be one of the largest elections in state history, and not having a date puts us in limbo.”

Voters might not head to the polls until April or later. The state’s request for proposals from voting machine companies said the winning vendor has until March 31 to deliver election equipment to Georgia’s 159 counties. Each county must train poll workers and hold three weeks of early in-person voting before Election Day.

Cobb County Elections Director Janine Eveler said she hopes the date of the presidential primary is set soon.

“Depending on when it’s scheduled, we may find that our usual locations are unavailable and they’ve already been booked,” Eveler said. “It becomes confusing for voters if we’re always moving from place to place. We’re trying to get the same locations, and the preferred locations are booking up now.”

Other county election supervisors were less concerned about the state’s lack of commitment to a primary date, saying there’s still time before the delay becomes a problem.

“There are a lot of planning matters that are on hold until we know the vendor (for voting machines). I’m fine with it for the time being,” Fulton County Elections Director Rick Barron said. “The state knows what’s at stake.”

In Columbus, poll-worker training has already been scheduled for February, so they’ll be ready for whenever the presidential primary election is held, Elections Director Nancy Boren said.

“It’s really not been an issue for us at all,” Boren said.

Georgia gained prominence in the national presidential selection process in 2016 when Republican Secretary of State Brian Kemp, who is now the state’s governor, championed the idea of what was called the “SEC primary” — a college athletics-themed Election Day that gave Southern states the spotlight when they voted at the same time.

At the time, many candidates for both the Republican and Democratic parties were seeking nominations. Next year, there will be little competition among Republicans because President Donald Trump is seeking re-election. When Raffensperger, a Republican, sets the primary date, it will mostly affect the Democratic Party’s nomination process.

On Super Tuesday in 2020, large states California and Texas will have planned their presidential primaries on the same day as many states in the South, eliminating the region’s importance as a one-day voting bloc.

But Georgia voters could still be relevant in the state-by-state presidential nominating process, even with a later primary date, said Allan Keiter, who runs the website 270towin.com, where anyone can customize election maps to create scenarios in which Republican or Democratic candidates would win the presidency.

With so many Democratic candidates running, the field might not significantly narrow down until well after the March elections.

“It’s pretty likely that the race will carry on for quite a while after Super Tuesday,” Keiter said. “It’s hard to know, even when they set their primary date, if later or earlier would be better.”

Under state law, Georgia’s presidential preference primary election could be held as late as the second Tuesday in June next year. Raffensperger has until Dec. 1 to select the presidential primary date.

“There are certain things you can’t plan at this point because you don’t know which vendors’ voting equipment we’ll have,” said Russell Bridges, the elections director for Chatham County. “We’re just eager to get the new voting system and get started.”

Presidential election timeline

July 2019: New Georgia voting technology expected to be announced.

Nov. 5, 2019: Up to 10 counties will test Georgia's new voting machines during local elections.

Feb. 3, 2020: Iowa caucuses.

March 3, 2020: 10 states vote in presidential primaries during Super Tuesday.

March 24, 2020: Georgia presidential primary (updated).

July 13, 2020: Democratic National Convention in Milwaukee.

Aug. 24, 2020: Republican National Convention in Charlotte, N.C.

Nov. 3, 2020: Election Day.

Stay on top of what’s happening in Georgia government and politics at www.ajc.com/politics.

Read More


  • Authorities in Michigan are searching for a 2-year-old girl who reportedly vanished from an Oscoda County campsite Monday morning. >> Read more trending news According to the Oscoda County Sheriff's Office, family members of Gabriella Vitale, 2, of the Monroe area, 'lost track' of the girl as they were getting ready to leave the campsite near state Highway 33 and Reber Road. They reported her missing about 8:15 a.m., authorities said. By late Monday, search crews, including deputies, state troopers, police dogs, a police helicopter and Michigan Department of Natural Resources officers, had not found the child, authorities said. Gabriella was wearing a pink zip-up coat, a gray shirt, pink bottoms and tennis shoes when she disappeared, the Sheriff's Office said. Authorities later found the coat 'several hundred yards southeast of where she went missing,' Michigan State Police said. Gabriella 'may have autism,' WWTV reported. If you have any information about Gabriella's whereabouts, call 989-826-3214. Read more here or here.
  • A Tennessee man was indicted on first-degree murder charges after his girlfriend’s 2-year-old son was taken to the hospital and later died. >> Read more news stories Alan Johnson, 41, of Memphis, was taking care of the child while his mother was at work on Oct. 10, 2018, according to officials. He told investigators he was throwing the 2-year-old up in the air and catching him, but the boy slipped on the last throw, authorities said. According to investigators, Johnson said he swung the child – identified as Dylan Meeks – to “keep him from hitting the ground.” He said he saw the boy’s neck go back and noticed he was not responding, so he called police, authorities said. The child died two days later. The staff at Le Bonheur Children's Hospital told police that the injuries, which included a skull fracture, brain swelling, internal injuries and rib fractures, were not consistent with Johnson's story. The medical examiner found new and healing fractures of the child's ribs and also lacerations of several organs.  Johnson was later charged with murder. He was indicted Monday on charges of first-degree murder in the perpetration of aggravated child abuse and neglect. Johnson is being held without bond in the Shelby County Jail.
  • Police have apprehended a Pennsylvania man wanted on charges related to the death of his girlfriend's infant daughter, authorities said.  >> Read more trending news Pennsylvania State Police confirmed that Derrick Bass, 29, was arrested in Ohio on Monday, two days after the 11-month-old was found dead in a Pack ‘n Play at an apartment complex in East Huntingdon Township, Pennsylvania. He has been charged with homicide. The baby’s mother told police that Bass was supposed to be watching her daughter and his two children. He also was supposed to pick her up from work, but never showed up, she told police. When the girl’s mother got home, she noticed her daughter and various electronic items were missing, according to a complaint. She called police shortly after 11 p.m. Police responded to the apartment shortly after 12:30 a.m. after the mother reported finding her daughter unresponsive in the Pack ‘n Play, the complaint said. She did not see her until that time because the baby was covered in blankets, according to the complaint. Family identified the girl as 11-month-old Niomie Miller. An autopsy was conducted Sunday morning, and the preliminary cause of death was determined to be drowning, authorities said.
  • An electric company worker in eastern Kentucky took every precaution recently as he prepared to head out to a job untangling a tree from a power line, but little did he know there was no way to prepare for what was about to happen to him.  >> Read more trending news  Chris Prater told WYMT-TV that he sprayed himself down with insect repellent and joined his crew for the task ahead. After finishing the job, he said his eye bothered him. “I noticed I just started having irritation in my eye,” Prater said. He said he flushed his eye out several times and had a co-worker take a look, yet a spot he noticed didn’t move, WYMT reported. Prater was hesitant to go to a doctor, but finally made an appointment with an optometrist. 'When the doctor finally comes in, he was looking at it. He said, 'I know what's in your eye.'' Prater said he was stunned when the doctor explained what he had found. “He said, ‘It's a tick.’ That's when I got scared a little bit,” Prater told the news station. “I leaned around and looked at him and I asked him if he was joking and he said, ‘No, you have a deer tick or some type of tick.’ It was very little.” The doctor numbed Prater’s eye and used a pair of tweezers to extract the tick. “Once he grabbed ahold of it and pulled it off, the tick made a, like, a little popping sound when it came off of my eye,” Prater said. Luckily there was no lasting damage to his eye, but Prater wanted to warn others about the importance of using insect repellent, even though he knows that wouldn’t have helped his eye.
  • New York authorities are investigating the death of a 3-year-old boy who fell into a grease trap Monday morning in Rochester and died. >> Read more trending news  The tragedy happened behind a Tim Hortons restaurant around 11 a.m., according to WROC-TV. A witness found the boy, pulled him out of the pit and administered CPR but the boy died a short time later at a local hospital. “It’s a horrible, tragic accident,” police investigator Frank Camp told WROC.  There was no fencing around the trap and it was “flush with the ground,” Camp said.  The trap was covered with a green plastic lid and it blended in with the surrounding grass, Camp told CNN. “The lid was on there. It looks like the child ran across it and it popped open and he fell into the trap,” Camp said. The pit is 2.5-feet in diameter, and the city was called in to pour concrete around the trap and replace the plastic lid with a metal one. Right Now: A crew is working to secure a grease trap at Tim Hortons on University Avenue. This is following a tragic accident earlier today. A 3-year-old boy has died after falling into this grease trap. Police attempts were made to save him but were unsuccessful. @SPECNewsROC pic.twitter.com/fubViueURN — Natasha Acrie (@NatashaAcrieTV) July 15, 2019 “We have a horrifying episode here that happened today,” Camp said, according to CNN. “We're asked all the time, ‘What's the worst thing you encounter as a police officer?’ and this is No. 1.” It’s unclear how the child, who was not publicly identified, wandered behind the restaurant. The medical examiner will issue an official cause of death in the next few weeks “We have a horrifying episode here that happened today,” Camp said, according to CNN. “We're asked all the time, ‘What's the worst thing you encounter as a police officer?’ and this is No. 1.” It’s unclear how the child, who was not publicly identified, wandered behind the restaurant. The medical examiner will issue an official cause of death in the next few weeks.
  • A biologist diving off the English coast over the weekend had a stunning and rare encounter with a jellyfish so large, it was easily the size of a grown man. >> Read more trending news  Researcher and broadcaster Lizzie Daly described the encounter as “breathtaking,” according to CNN. “What an unforgettable experience,” said Daly, who was diving as part of her Wild Ocean Week campaign to raise awareness and money for the United Kingdom’s Marine Conservation Society. “I know barrel jellyfish get really big in size but I have never seen anything like it before!” she said.She was diving off the coast of Falmouth, where she and her diving partner spotted the massive jellyfish. “It really humbles you to be alongside an animal that size,” Daly told Vice News. “It’s an experience we’ll never forget.”  Barrel jellyfish inhabit the British seas and are the largest species of jellyfish in U.K. waters, CNN reported. They can grow larger than three feet and weigh more than 55 pounds.