ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
71°
Partly Cloudy
H 88° L 70°
  • cloudy-day
    71°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 88° L 70°
  • cloudy-day
    85°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 88° L 70°
  • cloudy-day
    86°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 88° L 70°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

State & Regional Govt & Politics
Georgia’s distracted driving enforcement picks up during holidays
Close

Georgia’s distracted driving enforcement picks up during holidays

Georgia’s distracted driving enforcement picks up during holidays
The Georgia State Patrol issued 8,389 citations for violations of the Hands-Free Georgia Act in the second half of 2018. That’s more than twice the number of citations issues for phone-related offenses in the first six months of the year, before the new law took effect. HYOSUB SHIN / HSHIN@AJC.COM

Georgia’s distracted driving enforcement picks up during holidays

After cutting motorists slack for months, state troopers began to aggressively enforce Georgia’s new distracted driving law during the holidays, statistics provided to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution show.

The Georgia State Patrol issued 8,389 citations for violations of the Hands-Free Georgia Act — which took effect July 1 in the second half of 2018, with a big uptick in December. That’s more than double the citations written for cell-phone related offenses in the first six months of the year, when troopers wrote 3,827 tickets.

Meanwhile, traffic fatalities fell about 7 percent in 2018, preliminary statistics from the Georgia Department of Transportation show. Final 2018 fatality numbers may rise as more reports come in. But the state’s top traffic safety officer believes the new law has saved lives since it debuted six months ago.

VIDEO: About distracted driving

Close

Georgia’s distracted driving enforcement picks up during holidays

The Hands-Free Georgia Act prohibits motorists from handling their cell phones while driving. It also prohibits watching videos and other behavior that safety experts say contributed to a rising toll of death on the nation’s highways.

Traffic fatalities in Georgia rose by 34 percent from 2014 to 2016, when 1,561 people died. Experts say distracted driving played a big role in the surge – drivers’ eyes were glued to their cell phones instead of the road.

According to GDOT, fatalities declined slightly to 1,549 in 2017. And they fell again to 1,444 last year, the preliminary numbers show.

Law enforcement agencies across the state took different approaches to enforcement. Some, like the State Patrol, emphasized warnings for several months after the law took effect. Others wrote tickets right from the start.

State Patrol Sgt. Logan Gass, who works out of Marietta, said troopers stepped up enforcement during the holidays, writing more than 2,000 tickets in December alone.

Gass said the new law makes it easier to cite motorists for dangerous behavior. Under the old law, adults were prohibited from texting while driving, but could make phone calls. Police said the law was difficult to enforce because it was hard to tell when someone holding a phone was texting or talking.

Now, anyone with a phone in hand while driving is breaking the law, unless it’s an emergency situation (you can find more details about what is and is not permitted under the law here.)

Though plenty of people are violating the new law, Gass said he’s noticed a change in driver behavior. Before, motorists with phones in their hands seldom bothered to hide it from police.

“Now, if you find somebody with a cell phone in their hands, they’re trying to hide it,” he said. “That tells me they know better.”

The law passed the General Assembly with overwhelming support. But it may be revisited in the upcoming session.

One possible change involves teenage drivers. Under the old law, teens were prohibited from using electronic devices while driving. Under the new one, they can talk and text just like adults, as long as they use hands-free technology.

Safety advocates hope lawmakers will reinstate the ban on teens using electronic devices while driving.

Read More

News

  • As Prince Harry celebrates his first Father’s Day, the world has gotten a new look at Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor. People reported that the Duke of Sussex shared a photo of his and Meghan Markle’s 5-week-old son on the couple’s Sussex Royal Instagram page. >> Read more trending news  The sepia-toned photo shows baby Archie peeking over Harry’s hand as he’s cradled in his father’s arms. Archie’s hand is wrapped around one of Harry’s fingers. Related: 'Over the moon': Prince Harry beams after birth of first child “Happy Father’s Day! And wishing a very special first Father’s Day to The Duke of Sussex,” the post said. On Mother’s Day, Meghan Markle was celebrated with a post showing Archie’s feet cradled in the Duchess of Sussex’s hand.
  • A mother duck quacked for help after her ducklings fell into a Pennsylvania sewer Saturday morning. >> Watch the news report here Pittsburgh firefighters and police came to the rescue of the ducklings trapped in the sewer along Kalida Drive in Larimer. >> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news  While the ducklings' mother watched, Pittsburgh police Officer Cassie Lee jumped into the sewer and rescued all 10 ducklings. Mom looked to make sure all her ducklings were accounted for and then walked away with her babies. >> Read more trending news  This is the second day in a row ducklings were rescued from a sewer in Pittsburgh. Read more here.
  • A Springfield, Ohio, man who pleaded guilty to killing his neighbor’s dog with a baseball bat in April avoided jail time and was sentenced to community service. Jeffrey Sagraves was ordered to 40 hours of community service and to pay $300 in fines for burglary and cruelty to a companion animal. >> On WHIO.com: Springfield man accused of killing dog with baseball bat He was facing a maximum of 18 months in jail for burglary and 12 months for cruelty to a companion animal. In October, Sagraves called 911 to report that there were two pit bulls in his backyard attacking his cat, according to Clark County Common Pleas Court documents. During the call, he reportedly told dispatchers that the dogs belonged to his neighbor and threatened to kill the dogs if police didn’t show up soon The cat died during the attack, according to court records. >> Read more trending news  Minutes later, a neighbor, Lisa Marie Everhart, called 911 and said a man identified as Sagraves reportedly broke into her home and hit her dog in the head with a wooden bat. She was visibly upset, as well as her young children, who were screaming and crying, according to a court affidavit. Everhart was charged with a misdemeanor for failing to confine her dogs.
  • A heartwarming viral video filmed late last year is making the rounds again – just in time for Father's Day. >> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news  According to ABC News, Julianne Cragg of Edmonton, Alberta, was at a Three Days Grace concert in December when she spotted a teen signing song lyrics to a deaf man. 'At last night's concert, we witnessed something absolutely beautiful,' Cragg wrote in a Dec. 13 Facebook post, which included a video of the pair. 'We saw this girl and a man who seemed to require a lot of dancing room, irritating at first until we realized what was happening,' Cragg continued. 'Her father is deaf, she was signing the lyrics to him. We couldn't care less about what was happening on stage, watching them was absolutely mesmerizing. They were both very sweet and her father was very proud of his daughter.' >> Watch the video here The father and daughter were identified as Karri Carberry, 19, and Darrin Carberry, who also are from Edmonton, ABC News reported. >> Read more trending news  'I feel absolutely shocked and amazed at all of the views and responses we have been getting!' the younger Carberry said of the clip, which has been viewed more than 28 million times, in a December interview. 'It’s an amazing feeling and we’re both very happy that everyone around the world is enjoying it so much.' Read more here.
  • A Southern California teen who has been in a wheelchair for nearly a year overcame the odds last week to walk at his high school graduation. >> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news  According to KTLA, Claremont High School graduate Alexander Harris surprised his classmates Thursday as he rose from his wheelchair, used a walker to cross the stage and accepted his diploma. >> Watch the moment here The emotional moment came 10 months after a serious motocross racing crash left Harris with a broken neck. 'He couldn't lift his hands to drink,' his mother, Peggy, told KTLA. 'I had to feed him. I had to give him, you know, whatever he needed, and to see where he's at today ...' >> Read more trending news  Although doctors said Harris may never be able to use his limbs again, he remained focused on one goal. 'My first thought was, 'When can I get back walking?'' he told KTLA. Following several months of physical therapy, he did just that. 'Never give up,' he told the TV station. Want to follow Harris’ recovery? You can read more about him and donate to his GoFundMe campaign here.
  • President Donald Trump took to Twitter on Saturday to slam The New York Times for its report that the United States has increased cyberattacks on Russia's power grid. >> Read more trending news  'Do you believe that the Failing New York Times just did a story stating that the United States is substantially increasing Cyber Attacks on Russia,' Trump tweeted shortly after 9 p.m. Saturday. 'This is a virtual act of Treason by a once great paper so desperate for a story, any story, even if bad for our Country.' He continued: 'ALSO, NOT TRUE! Anything goes with our Corrupt News Media today. They will do, or say, whatever it takes, with not even the slightest thought of consequence! These are true cowards and without doubt, THE ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE!' >> See the tweets here Earlier Saturday, the newspaper, citing 'current and former government officials,' reported that the U.S. 'is stepping up digital incursions into Russia's electric power grid.'  The news comes at least seven years after U.S. officials began putting 'reconnaissance probes' in Russia's grid, the Times reported. 'But now the American strategy has shifted more toward offense, officials say, with the placement of potentially crippling malware inside the Russian system at a depth and with an aggressiveness that had never been tried before,' the Times reported, adding that the move is part-warning, part-preparation for launching U.S. attacks 'if a major conflict' with Russia develops. Two unnamed officials with the Trump administration said they did not think the president had received detailed briefings about the U.S. implants in the Russian electric system, according to the Times.  Officials have hesitated to give him the details over worries that he might divulge information to foreign officials or react unfavorably, sources told the Times. Read more here.