ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
82°
Partly Cloudy T-storms
H 90° L 70°
  • cloudy-day
    82°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy T-storms. H 90° L 70°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    90°
    Today
    Partly Cloudy T-storms. H 90° L 70°
  • clear-day
    90°
    Tomorrow
    Mostly Clear. H 90° L 70°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

State & Regional Govt & Politics
EXCLUSIVE: Georgia is cutting off Medicaid for 17,000 patients
Close

EXCLUSIVE: Georgia is cutting off Medicaid for 17,000 patients

Georgia cutting off Medicaid for 17,000 patients

EXCLUSIVE: Georgia is cutting off Medicaid for 17,000 patients

The state is terminating Medicaid assistance for about 17,000 poor elderly or disabled Georgians, it says, as lawyers for some of them call the move a giant mistake.

The state Department of Community Health said the 17,000 had simply not responded to renewal notices informing them how to continue their coverage. Patients interviewed by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution say they never received renewal notices, and their lawyers say their clients’ Georgia Gateway computer accounts show that no such notices were ever sent.

Instead, they say, if they received any notice at all it was a cancellation notice.

Louis Askew, a 70-year-old Army veteran who depends on Social Security, received a cancellation notice from the state last month. Like the others, he is on Medicare, but he has so little money that Medicaid steps in to fill Medicare’s gaps. Medicaid pays his Medicare premium of more than $100 per month, as well as prescriptions and co-pays.

Or it used to. Out of the blue, he says, he received a notice saying his benefits were already denied. He called the lawyers listed on the notice and they took his case.

> RELATED: What to do, how to appeal if your Georgia Medicaid benefits were cut

Lawyers from Georgia Legal Services, a nonprofit organization that is working for some of the affected patients, have written to the state Department of Community Health to get the move reversed and ask for concrete information about how and why the notices were sent and how many people are affected.

“We represent some of the most vulnerable people in Georgia, seniors and disabled Georgians who will not have access to health care if these programs are ended” for them, said Vicky Kimbrell, a Georgia Legal Services attorney. “The computer and administrative errors that cause these terminations should not be allowed to happen and cause this harm to people.”

Terminating people’s Medicaid without first sending a renewal notice if they’re eligible is a violation of the law, Kimbrell said. Trying to figure out what happened, she speculated that maybe the annual cost-of-living increase for some Social Security recipients lagged behind the DCH’s corresponding increase to Medicaid thresholds. But even if so, she said, the DCH is prohibited from terminating assistance because of such lags. In any case, she said she still didn’t know because the DCH had not responded to the organization’s request for clarification as of Thursday afternoon.

Georgia Legal Services declined to comment further on how it learned about the mass disenrollment.

DCH officials told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that the 17,000 people losing their benefits had failed to respond to renewal notices.

“It is important to note that the number represents individuals with overdue renewals who had been nonresponsive to the notices they received at the time they were up for renewal,” a DCH spokeswoman, Fiona Roberts, said in an email. “When their eligibility was up, they had not responded to their notices, therefore, their cases were closed because they did not complete the renewal process.”

Roberts added that “these individuals may submit either a renewal or application form to (the Division of Family and Children Services) in the three months after their closure (i.e. June through the end of August), and if they still qualify based on their current circumstances, their coverage will be reinstated back to the first of June.”

The notice received by Georgia Legal Services clients does not say that. In one place, it says they have 30 days to ask for a hearing to appeal. In another place, it says 10 days.

Either way, that’s days from the date on the notice; Askew says he got his notice two weeks after the date printed on it.

About 2 million Georgians receive care under Medicaid, a state-federal public health program for the poor, disabled and elderly living in nursing homes. The Georgians affected so far receive a scaled-down version of Medicaid that fills in gaps in Medicare benefits. Their Medicare enrollment did not appear to be affected.

The DCH contracts with DFCS to determine Medicaid eligibility, since that agency already measures eligibility for poor families seeking food stamps and other services. DFCS referred questions about the issue to the DCH.

The clients who called the nonprofit lawyers received a notice from the state titled “Change Results.” It said their Medicaid benefits were denied and payments would be stopped. It included a form at the end to ask for a hearing if the client disagreed with the decision.

What they should have received, and many did in the past, Kimbrell says, is a notice titled “Renewal.” A renewal tells them coverage will be terminated if they don’t renew, and it provides information about how to renew.

If their terminated clients go on the Georgia Gateway computer system that manages their accounts, there is no button for renewal, the lawyers say.

Askew said the state sent him the termination notice after the deadline to appeal had already passed. He said there’s no change in his income that would put him over the $1,041 monthly household income limit for receiving the Medicaid assistance.

Lily Foster, 77 and a stroke victim who lives near Vidalia, said nothing has changed in her financial circumstances or her need for the coverage. Her only income comes from Social Security, at less than $1,000 per month.

But suddenly her Georgia benefits dropped off. She didn’t even know it until a lawyer who was trying to figure out why she lost food stamps looked through her file and found the Medicaid notice.

Both Foster and Askew went to state offices themselves to try to figure out why their benefits were being cut off, they say, but they were unable to get answers.

Medicaid pays for Foster’s medications, more than 10 of them. Most important, she says, it also helps her with transportation for health care when it’s not an emergency. “I would have no way of getting anywhere, to doctors appointments or anywhere, without Medicaid services,” Foster said.

She’s had a recurring need for rehabilitation work following her stroke, and she recently spent six weeks at a physical therapy facility in Vidalia.

“If it weren’t for Medicaid, I wouldn’t even be able to talk to you,” Foster said.

She still believes the state didn’t mean what it said, and that her lawyers will get it fixed. If she is truly cut off from Medicaid, she said she’s not sure how to describe her reaction.

“You mean without a four-letter word?” she asked.

Read More

News

  • River “Oakley” Nimmo wanted to be in the Army when he grew up, but he will never have the chance after losing his battle with cancer.  The 5-year-old died last week after a 3-year battle, KTHV reported. According to River’s obituary, “Oakley spent most of this life, fighting to live and did it with a smile on his face. In between hospital stays, Oakley spent his free time driving his power wheels and shooting his toy guns. He often talked about being an “Army Man,” as he called it, when he grew up.” >> Read more trending news  The child’s parents are now asking current and past members of the military to come to their son’s funeral Tuesday, dressed in full dress uniform to honor their son’s dream. The service will be held at Cullendale First Baptist Church in Camden, Arkansas, with burial following at Furr Cemetery in Locust Bayou, Arkansas.
  • Deputies routinely pull over speeders. However, a Florida deputy had the opposite issue when traffic was slowed down by a gopher tortoise taking a leisurely stroll along the highway. >> Read more trending news  Deputy Leonard Fontenot 'conducted a traffic stop' on the animal for 'impeding traffic flow,' officials with the St. Johns County Sheriff's Office wrote in a Facebook post published Friday. The result was a selfie with Fontenot and the tortoise. The tortoise was trudging along the Nocatee Parkway south of Jacksonville when Fontenot approached the 'Gopherus Genus, exact age unknown.' According to the Facebook post, the tortoise 'failed to clear the roadway' when asked to do so by Fontentot. But after a 'heartfelt conversation' about risks of walking on a roadway while vehicles sped past, the tortoise was released. 'Gopherus was cooperative during the remainder of my encounter with him, so I chose to use discretion and let him go with a warning,' Fontenot was quoted in the Facebook post. 'In fact, our interaction was so positive, we posed for a selfie together!' Gopher tortoises, actually known as Gopherus polyphemus, and their burrows are protected by state law, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. The animal can live between 40 to 60 years in the wild and more than 90 years in captivity, according to the commission's website.
  • Friends and family are asking for the public's help after they say 23-year-old University of Utah student MacKenzie Lueck went missing after taking a Lyft ride from an airport. In a news release, the Salt Lake City Police Department said Lueck returned to Salt Lake City after visiting family on June 17. She took a Lyft from Salt Lake City Airport to an address in North Salt Lake, Utah, early Monday morning.  The Salt Lake Tribune reported that Lueck was in her home state of California for her grandmother's funeral. When she returned to Salt Lake City, she texted her parents around 1 a.m. Lueck's parents reported her missing Thursday afternoon, according to the publication. She is 5 feet, 6 inches tall with blond, medium-length hair and weighs about 120 lbs, KUTV reported. CBS News reported that her best friend, Juliana Cauley, said Lueck doesn't live in North Salt Lake and she doesn't know why she went there.  >> Read more trending news  'SLCPD has been conducting a missing persons investigation and have spoken with both Lyft as well as the Lyft driver,' the department said in the news release. 'Lyft and their driver have cooperated with the investigation.' “We don’t have anyone searching any particular area right now because we don’t have any credible evidence of where she might be,' Sgt. Brandon Shearer told The Salt Lake Tribune. A representative for Lyft told CBS News there were no irregularities with Lueck's ride and that it ended at the destination she entered on the app and the driver continue to pick up and drop off other customers right after Lueck arrived at her destination. 'We recognize how scary this must be for those who know and love Ms. Lueck,' Lyft said in a statement to KSTU. 'The safety of our community is fundamental to Lyft and we are actively assisting law enforcement with their investigation.' 'Our primary goal is to find Mackenzie and bring her home,' Lueck's family said in a statement to KUTV. 'Her family is grateful for the concern, prayers and the tireless efforts of the Salt Lake City Police and members of the community.' 'The SLCPD has not discovered any information that would lead us to believe that Mackenzie has been harmed or is in danger at this time,' the department said. 'Detectives are concerned for Mackenzie’s welfare. If anyone has any information on Mackenzie or where she may be, please contact SLCPD at (801)799-3000 re: case 19-111129.
  • A 25-year-old Texas man was electrocuted early Sunday after possibly trying to steal copper from a transformer on a telephone pole in Dallas, police said. >> Read more trending news  Gabrield Monjaraz, was found dead by police about 30 feet away from the transformer after authorities responded to a 911 caller at 3:12 a.m. who said she heard gunshots, WFAA reported. When first responders arrived, they thought Monjaraz had been hit by a vehicle, The Dallas Morning News reported. However, the Dallas County medical examiner determined Monjaraz had been electrocuted. >> Alabama man electrocuted while stealing electricity, sheriff says After investigating the scene, police found Monjaraz was wearing rubber gloves and the nearby transformer had black marks on it, KTVT reported.
  • Topgolf wants to build a new driving range in Gwinnett. The golf range company has been long suspected as the “golf entertainment complex” proposed for the forthcoming Exchange at Gwinnett mixed-use development. Those suspicions were confirmed when the Texas company filed permit applications with the county planning and development department on May 30. MORE | Brewery, food hall proposed for new development near Mall of Georgia READ | Gwinnett greenlights big mixed-use project near Mall of Georgia Topgolf is a popular driving range company that offers a video game-like experience to players featuring colorfully lit targets and microchipped golf balls. The ranges also feature bars and arcade games. There are currently two metro Atlanta Topgolf locations: one near Atlantic Station in Atlanta and another in Alpharetta. The 14-acre range would be part of the Exchange at Gwinnett, a 64-acre mixed-use development near the Mall of Georgia and Coolray Field. Plans including the “golf entertainment complex” that could become Topgolf have already been approved. Initial plans also included 500 apartments, restaurants, retail space, a hotel and a fitness center. A plan for an additional 34.5 acres including a food hall, brewery space and rooftop bar have been recommended for approval by the county and will likely see a public hearing on July 2. The additional space would also include a medical building, movie theater and 500 more apartments, taking the total number of living units to 1,000.  The planning and development department has not yet made a recommendation for approval or denial regarding the Topgolf permit applications to the Gwinnett County Board of Commissioners. Like Gwinnett County News on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter and InstagramStay up to the minute with breaking news on Channel 2 Action News This Morning
  • An estate sale purchase has shined a new light on the cleanup efforts that followed in the weeks and months after the attacks on September 11. CD-ROMS containing thousands of photos of Ground Zero recovery were recently purchased at an estate sale.  Now the photos show the damage and devastation left behind after hijackers flew American Airlines Flight 11 and United Flight 175 into the Twin Towers 18 minutes apart. Dr. Johnathan Burgess told the BBC his partner found the photos at the sale. “Generally these items are neglected at sales. It’s very likely these would be in a dumpster by now had we not gone,” Burgess told the BBC. >> Read more trending news  Jason Scott was able to upload the photos to Flickr after a CD recovery service was able to save the images. “It’s a miracle the discs transferred so well. CD-ROMS of that age are pretty spotty,” Scott said. >>Photos: New images from Ground Zero discovered on CD-Rom bought at estate sale Now the pair have a mystery to solve: Who took the photos? Burgess and Scott have not found the photographer and the person’s relatives. The CDs were bought at the sale in Massachusetts and were originally purchased to collect and archive vintage media, WCBS reported. Most of the photos that were bought were images of babies and vacations. The images from Ground Zero were believed to have been taken by a construction or recovery worker, WCBS reported. If anyone knows who took the photos, they’re being asked to contact Burgess and Scott at gzphotos@texfiles.com.