ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
79°
Broken Clouds
H 94° L 74°
  • cloudy-day
    79°
    Current Conditions
    Broken Clouds. H 94° L 74°
  • cloudy-day
    90°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 94° L 74°
  • clear-day
    92°
    Evening
    Sunny. H 94° L 74°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

State & Regional Govt & Politics
13,000 more Georgians could lose Medicaid benefits
Close

13,000 more Georgians could lose Medicaid benefits

13,000 more Georgians could lose Medicaid benefits
Photo Credit: Screenshot.
Medicaid is run by the Georgia Department of Community Health. The DCH contracts with the Division of Family and Children Services to calculate applicants’ eligibility. PHOTO: Screenshot.

13,000 more Georgians could lose Medicaid benefits

State officials revealed that the full number of poor elderly or disabled Georgians they are slated to drop from Medicaid rolls is 30,000, much more than what they reported earlier this month. They say the Medicaid system sent out warnings to almost all of them, though, and received no response.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported two weeks ago that the state Department of Community Health confirmed 17,000 Medicaid recipients were being cut off. The people are typically already on Medicare, but they are so poor they also receive Medicaid to fill in gaps such as paying the monthly premium for Medicare of more than $100, and paying for medications. The DCH said that the people in question didn’t respond to regular annual renewal notices or termination warnings.

But lawyers for some of them said it was a mistake. They said their clients never received renewal notices, and they could prove that in their computer case files. In interviews, some of those clients told the AJC that after learning they’d lose their Medicaid they visited state offices and made calls to fix the problem — to no avail.

State officials now agree, in statements they provided to the AJC on Monday, that some people were cut off without receiving a renewal warning. But they said that amounted to only 68 people, not anywhere near the thousands that lawyers had feared.

The DCH will give the 17,000 who’ve already been cut off until Aug. 31 to renew their Medicaid. If they do that and they’re approved, they’ll receive back pay for their missed benefits.

But that wasn’t the full extent of the backlog: An additional 13,000 were in line for cutoff for the same reason.

Following the outcry, the DCH is now considering how best to handle them.

Lawyers for patients who are fighting the cutoff are skeptical that renewal notices really went out to 99% of the people as state officials said.

“I don’t see how that is possible,” said Alisa Haber, an attorney at the Georgia Senior Legal Hotline. She concedes she has no proof but points to the number of cases she and her colleagues are handling. “It’s not tapering off,” she said. “I think this is the tip of the iceberg.”

Another attorney recalled a previous case when the state’s vendor was supposed to mail out notices but didn’t.

Haber also doesn’t believe that if the state is willing to restore services, it is doing so in a way that people can navigate. Callers to the state Division of Family and Children Services mostly get recordings, not people, and may not have access to computers or cars to drive to an office. DFCS does the eligibility determinations under contract to the DCH. DFCS is short of workers and trying to hire 500.

DCH Commissioner Frank Berry said in a written statement that the state must remove those who are ineligible in order to serve those who are eligible.

“We are in the business of providing people support in their greatest time of need,” Berry said. “The best way to ensure we are serving the most vulnerable Georgians and are accountable to the taxpayer’s dollar is to ensure we are focusing resources on those who have established their eligibility for these programs.”

What no one expected, Berry included, was to cut off so many all at once.

The trouble began in the fall, when someone figured out that the state’s computer system hadn’t been sending alerts to caseworkers when a case was ready to terminate benefits.

For most types of Medicaid, the computer system was designed to automatically terminate cases. But state officials had decided that those receiving Aged, Blind and Disabled Medicaid were so likely to continue to be eligible that they would get special treatment — from humans instead of computers. Only caseworkers could terminate such a case after reviewing the file. The computer system would alert the caseworker to do that.

Then the system failed to send alerts. A backlog formed, a big one.

When the computer fix ran, 30,000 cases for renewal or termination were created at once, Ashley Fielding, a spokeswoman for the state department that includes DFCS, wrote in an email.

Because DFCS is short of caseworkers, it didn’t have the manpower to do manual reviews for all 30,000 cases and still meet its other deadlines.

“This was in addition to (caseworkers’) regular workload of processing approximately 30,000 to 40,000 renewals and applications on a monthly basis,” Fielding wrote. “DFCS immediately prioritized working on these tasks and granted overtime to staff to reduce the caseload,” she said. “But, due to the volume of terminations that would have to be done manually, DCH made the decision to terminate the cases through an automatic process.”

It hit the button to close 17,000 cases, and then 13,000.

Berry stressed, “We are working with our partners at DFCS to ensure applications for those most in need receive priority attention, and we will provide coverage retroactive to June 1 for those who renew their eligibility by August 31.”

In the future, Aged, Blind and Disabled Medicaid cases will still receive manual review before termination, state officials said.

Read More

News

  • Authorities in Michigan are searching for a 2-year-old girl who reportedly vanished from an Oscoda County campsite Monday morning. >> Read more trending news According to the Oscoda County Sheriff's Office, family members of Gabriella Vitale, 2, of the Monroe area, 'lost track' of the girl as they were getting ready to leave the campsite near state Highway 33 and Reber Road. They reported her missing about 8:15 a.m., authorities said. By late Monday, search crews, including deputies, state troopers, police dogs, a police helicopter and Michigan Department of Natural Resources officers, had not found the child, authorities said. Gabriella was wearing a pink zip-up coat, a gray shirt, pink bottoms and tennis shoes when she disappeared, the Sheriff's Office said. Authorities later found the coat 'several hundred yards southeast of where she went missing,' Michigan State Police said. Gabriella 'may have autism,' WWTV reported. If you have any information about Gabriella's whereabouts, call 989-826-3214. Read more here or here.
  • A Tennessee man was indicted on first-degree murder charges after his girlfriend’s 2-year-old son was taken to the hospital and later died. >> Read more news stories Alan Johnson, 41, of Memphis, was taking care of the child while his mother was at work on Oct. 10, 2018, according to officials. He told investigators he was throwing the 2-year-old up in the air and catching him, but the boy slipped on the last throw, authorities said. According to investigators, Johnson said he swung the child – identified as Dylan Meeks – to “keep him from hitting the ground.” He said he saw the boy’s neck go back and noticed he was not responding, so he called police, authorities said. The child died two days later. The staff at Le Bonheur Children's Hospital told police that the injuries, which included a skull fracture, brain swelling, internal injuries and rib fractures, were not consistent with Johnson's story. The medical examiner found new and healing fractures of the child's ribs and also lacerations of several organs.  Johnson was later charged with murder. He was indicted Monday on charges of first-degree murder in the perpetration of aggravated child abuse and neglect. Johnson is being held without bond in the Shelby County Jail.
  • Police have apprehended a Pennsylvania man wanted on charges related to the death of his girlfriend's infant daughter, authorities said.  >> Read more trending news Pennsylvania State Police confirmed that Derrick Bass, 29, was arrested in Ohio on Monday, two days after the 11-month-old was found dead in a Pack ‘n Play at an apartment complex in East Huntingdon Township, Pennsylvania. He has been charged with homicide. The baby’s mother told police that Bass was supposed to be watching her daughter and his two children. He also was supposed to pick her up from work, but never showed up, she told police. When the girl’s mother got home, she noticed her daughter and various electronic items were missing, according to a complaint. She called police shortly after 11 p.m. Police responded to the apartment shortly after 12:30 a.m. after the mother reported finding her daughter unresponsive in the Pack ‘n Play, the complaint said. She did not see her until that time because the baby was covered in blankets, according to the complaint. Family identified the girl as 11-month-old Niomie Miller. An autopsy was conducted Sunday morning, and the preliminary cause of death was determined to be drowning, authorities said.
  • An electric company worker in eastern Kentucky took every precaution recently as he prepared to head out to a job untangling a tree from a power line, but little did he know there was no way to prepare for what was about to happen to him.  >> Read more trending news  Chris Prater told WYMT-TV that he sprayed himself down with insect repellent and joined his crew for the task ahead. After finishing the job, he said his eye bothered him. “I noticed I just started having irritation in my eye,” Prater said. He said he flushed his eye out several times and had a co-worker take a look, yet a spot he noticed didn’t move, WYMT reported. Prater was hesitant to go to a doctor, but finally made an appointment with an optometrist. 'When the doctor finally comes in, he was looking at it. He said, 'I know what's in your eye.'' Prater said he was stunned when the doctor explained what he had found. “He said, ‘It's a tick.’ That's when I got scared a little bit,” Prater told the news station. “I leaned around and looked at him and I asked him if he was joking and he said, ‘No, you have a deer tick or some type of tick.’ It was very little.” The doctor numbed Prater’s eye and used a pair of tweezers to extract the tick. “Once he grabbed ahold of it and pulled it off, the tick made a, like, a little popping sound when it came off of my eye,” Prater said. Luckily there was no lasting damage to his eye, but Prater wanted to warn others about the importance of using insect repellent, even though he knows that wouldn’t have helped his eye.
  • New York authorities are investigating the death of a 3-year-old boy who fell into a grease trap Monday morning in Rochester and died. >> Read more trending news  The tragedy happened behind a Tim Hortons restaurant around 11 a.m., according to WROC-TV. A witness found the boy, pulled him out of the pit and administered CPR but the boy died a short time later at a local hospital. “It’s a horrible, tragic accident,” police investigator Frank Camp told WROC.  There was no fencing around the trap and it was “flush with the ground,” Camp said.  The trap was covered with a green plastic lid and it blended in with the surrounding grass, Camp told CNN. “The lid was on there. It looks like the child ran across it and it popped open and he fell into the trap,” Camp said. The pit is 2.5-feet in diameter, and the city was called in to pour concrete around the trap and replace the plastic lid with a metal one. Right Now: A crew is working to secure a grease trap at Tim Hortons on University Avenue. This is following a tragic accident earlier today. A 3-year-old boy has died after falling into this grease trap. Police attempts were made to save him but were unsuccessful. @SPECNewsROC pic.twitter.com/fubViueURN — Natasha Acrie (@NatashaAcrieTV) July 15, 2019 “We have a horrifying episode here that happened today,” Camp said, according to CNN. “We're asked all the time, ‘What's the worst thing you encounter as a police officer?’ and this is No. 1.” It’s unclear how the child, who was not publicly identified, wandered behind the restaurant. The medical examiner will issue an official cause of death in the next few weeks “We have a horrifying episode here that happened today,” Camp said, according to CNN. “We're asked all the time, ‘What's the worst thing you encounter as a police officer?’ and this is No. 1.” It’s unclear how the child, who was not publicly identified, wandered behind the restaurant. The medical examiner will issue an official cause of death in the next few weeks.
  • A biologist diving off the English coast over the weekend had a stunning and rare encounter with a jellyfish so large, it was easily the size of a grown man. >> Read more trending news  Researcher and broadcaster Lizzie Daly described the encounter as “breathtaking,” according to CNN. “What an unforgettable experience,” said Daly, who was diving as part of her Wild Ocean Week campaign to raise awareness and money for the United Kingdom’s Marine Conservation Society. “I know barrel jellyfish get really big in size but I have never seen anything like it before!” she said.She was diving off the coast of Falmouth, where she and her diving partner spotted the massive jellyfish. “It really humbles you to be alongside an animal that size,” Daly told Vice News. “It’s an experience we’ll never forget.”  Barrel jellyfish inhabit the British seas and are the largest species of jellyfish in U.K. waters, CNN reported. They can grow larger than three feet and weigh more than 55 pounds.