ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
80°
Partly Cloudy T-storms
H 86° L 72°
  • cloudy-day
    80°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy T-storms. H 86° L 72°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    86°
    Today
    Partly Cloudy T-storms. H 86° L 72°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    85°
    Tomorrow
    Partly Cloudy T-storms. H 85° L 71°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

News
Sneiderman found guilty on 9 of 13 counts
Close

Sneiderman found guilty on 9 of 13 counts

Andrea Sneiderman verdict read

Sneiderman found guilty on 9 of 13 counts

Andrea Sneiderman, convicted Monday of nine of the 13 felony counts against her, took two calculated risks in a pair of trials following the murder of her husband, Rusty, nearly three years ago.

Both decisions could cost her plenty.

The Dunwoody widow Tuesday will receive her sentence, which might be much harsher than the one she turned down last month on the eve of her trial.

After the state dropped murder charges against her, Sneiderman rejected a plea deal that would have required her to spend no more than a year in prison. The 37-year-old mother of two — who denied any involvement in the fatal shooting of her husband in the parking lot of the Dunwoody Prep day care facility in November 2010 — opted to take her chances with a jury.

But jurors sided against her, and one of them said Monday that her other risky decision, to testify at the trial of her former supervisor, Hemy Neuman, led to their verdict and sentences that could reach 10 years each on some of the convictions. Neuman was found guilty of Rusty Sneiderman’s murder in March 2012, and during that trial prosecutors alleged that Neuman and Andrea Sneiderman had had an affair. She always denied any romantic involvement with Neuman.

“It felt like a cover-up, in my opinion,” said the only juror who agreed to speak with reporters Monday after nearly 11 hours of deliberation. Juror No. 57, who declined to give his name, said the six-man, six-woman panel kept coming back to her previous testimony.

Now, Sneiderman’s fate rests in the hands of DeKalb Superior Court Judge Gregory A. Adams, who presided over both trials.

“He’s not the toughest sentencer at the courthouse, but he’s likely to give her some time,” said Decatur attorney Keith Adams, no relation to the judge. Adams added that the veteran judge tends to give defendants harsher sentences after they’ve been convicted by a jury as opposed to when they enter a guilty plea.

Sneiderman faces a maximum sentence of five to 10 years on each of the convictions, though the four perjury charges she was convicted of will be wrapped up into one count per Georgia sentencing standards.

Prosecutors agreed that Sneiderman might not be looking at any prison time had she not testified in Neuman’s trial.

“It would’ve been a very different trial,” said former DeKalb Chief District Attorney Don Geary, the lead prosecutor during the Neuman trial. “That day and a half of testimony went according to script.”

In it, Sneiderman made a series of admissions seemingly contradicting what she had previously told investigators regarding her relationship with Neuman, her supervisor at GE Energy.

She was asked about whether Neuman had accompanied her on a business trip to Longmont, Col. She initially denied it, but evidence from workers at the hotel where the two stayed testified that not only was he there, but the two shared a room.

Sneiderman was also accused of lying about kissing Neuman while the two danced at a bar in Greenville, S.C. Testimony from the bartender who observed the pair cast doubt on Sneiderman’s claim that her supervisor’s advances were unwanted and unreciprocated.

In the end, Sneiderman’s own words were her worst enemy.

“She could have taken the Fifth at the first trial, but she still could have been tried some of these offenses for having given false statements to the police,” Atlanta criminal defense attorney B.J. Bernstein said. “But by having that testimony at the first trial on tape, the jury had no question about what she had said.”

Attorneys from both sides declined to comment Monday due to a gag order imposed by the judge. Each plans to hold a news conference following sentencing at 9 a.m. Tuesday.

“In my book, this has been a travesty, this has been an offense to our justice system,” Sneiderman friend Steffi Miller said. “The people who are going to pay the most are her parents and children.”

Sneiderman’s two young children currently live with her parents in Johns Creek, where the defendant spent nearly a year under house arrest. She was freed on a reduced bond after prosecutors dropped murder charges against her the week before her trial began.

There is currently no custody action pending in civil court, and Esther Panitch, the attorney representing Sneiderman’s in-laws in a wrongful death suit against her, withheld comment.

Jurors found in Sneiderman’s favor on two of the counts related to allegations she knew her husband had been shot before she was told by police. Many had believed that to be the strongest part of the state’s case.

Sneiderman, Miller said, seriously considered testifying on her own behalf but ultimately decided that was one risk too many.

Geary, the prosecutor in Neuman’s trial, said he didn’t think anything Sneiderman could have said at her trial “would’ve undone what she previously did and said.”

But Keith Adams questioned whether the offenses Sneiderman was convicted of were deserving of the penalty she’s likely to face.

“At the end of the day, this is a false statement and perjury case,” Adams said, adding that DeKalb District Attorney Robert James might seek a sentence more in line with the murder charges she initially faced. “To me, it’s kind of mitigating that she was essentially convicted of lying about an affair — rather than telling a lie that would presuppose she in some way knew about the murder.”

Read More

News

  • The Grant County Sheriff's Office released drug bust numbers Tuesday from the 2019 Paradiso Festival at the Gorge Amphitheatre.  Paradiso is an annual electric arts music festival that began in in 2012. >> Read more trending news  According to the Grant County Sheriff's Office, 38 drugs busts were made on 97 felony charges. The office said none were simple possession busts.  In addition to the busts, deputies also seized LSD, mushrooms, cocaine, steroids, ketamine, the drug known as 'Molly,' money and a firearm.  The Moses Lake Police Department, Yakima City, the Columbia River Drug Task Force, the Washington State Patrol and Adams County were also involved. 
  • Texas police arrested a man they said was using fake identification to cash checks, KHOU reported. >> Read more trending news  The Fort Bend County Constable's Office, Precinct 2, posted photos of the suspect, who was not identified, in a Facebook post. The man was arrested at a Regions Bank in Katy on Wednesday, KHOU reported. He was charged with using a fraudulent ID and theft, the television station said.  Police said $6,200 in cash was recovered. According to authorities, the man had 'multiple fake IDs' and had gone to several banks in the area. 'This is a rare occurrence but our quick response caught him in the act,' the Constable's Office posted on Facebook.
  • Authorities arrested an 11th person Tuesday in connection with the ambush shooting last week of former Red Sox slugger David Ortiz in the Dominican Republic. >> Read more trending news  Prosecutors are expected to release more information at a news conference scheduled for 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, according to CNN. An unidentified official told The Associated Press that Franklin Junior Merán was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of renting one of the cars used in the June 9 shooting in Santo Domingo. Ten other suspects have already been ordered to spend a year in preventive detention as the investigation continues, including the accused shooter. Authorities say they are looking for at least three other suspects, including the man they believe paid the hit men. Ortiz continued recovering Wednesday in the intensive care unit at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. Ortiz’s wife, Tiffany Ortiz, said doctors upgraded Ortiz’s condition to good Tuesday. “We remain grateful to everyone who has helped David through this ordeal, both in the Dominican Republic and here in Boston,” Tiffany Ortiz said in a statement released by the Red Sox. “David’s journey to good health has been bolstered by the many expressions of love that have come to us from across the globe. Your support has lifted his spirits tremendously during this challenging time.” Authorities continue to investigate. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • A warning about a popular payment app used by big banks like Capital One, JP Morgan Chase, Wells Fargo, Bank of America and PNC Bank. Many people are seeing their money disappear and the banks are doing little or nothing to get your money back.
  • Three Arizona teenagers are accused of setting off fireworks that sparked a brush fire in north Phoenix, police said. >> Read more trending news  The teens, all 16, were questioned by police Tuesday, KNXV reported. According to Phoenix Fire officials, the two-alarm fire burned up and over a nearby mountain, KSAZ reported. However, crews were able to put out the fire before it threatened a nearby neighborhood, according to KNXV. The teens admitted to lighting the fireworks, Phoenix Fire Capt. Rob McDade told the television station. “The first thing I thought was oh my God is that my house? Is it my dog? What’s going on?' Jordan Sims, who lives nearby told KNXV. 'It puts you kind of in like a panic mode, like am I going to have to pick everything up and get out of here within the next 30 minutes? We probably would not have been prepared for that.” It is illegal in Arizona to set off fireworks until June 24. “It’s illegal to set them off, it’s illegal to start a fire. They did admit to it pretty early so I think right now we are working with their parents and the fire investigators trying to figure out what really should be done out here,' McDade told KNXV. “I'm sure the thrill of lighting off fireworks sounds pretty good -- but you have to understand --- I mean even at the age of 16, this is a high brush(fire) season. All everything wants to do is catch on fire right now.”
  • A Wisconsin man allegedly told police it was 'a beautiful ride.' >> Read more trending news  Authorities, however, were not amused when Matthew R. Wilson, 51, took a sailboat from the Sheboygan Yacht Club for a joyride, the Sheybogan Press reported. According to a criminal complaint, Wilson, who is homeless, was charged Tuesday with theft of more than $100,000 and criminal damage to property, the newspaper reported. Sheboygan police were called to a Coast Guard station Saturday regarding the theft of the 40-foot Tartan 4000.sailboat, which is valued between $400,000 and $450,000, WITI reported. According to the criminal complaint, Wilson told police he had been kicked out of the Salvation Army because he was intoxicated, WISN reported.. He went from boat to boat in the marina until he found one open. the television station reported. According to police, Wilson found the keys and started the boat's engine before driving it away from the marina. Wilson said when he went to roll a cigarette, the boat ran ashore, WISN reported. Wilson was identified as the only person on the boat. The sailboat was ultimately towed back to the Coast Guard station. According to court documents, Wilson told police 'It was a beautiful ride. It was a beautiful ride, at least,' when he was taken into custody, the Press reported. An officer said there were scuff marks on the boat's hull, a gouge on the stern and partially consumed beer cans on deck, according to the criminal complaint. Wilson's preliminary breath test registered at .162, which is double the legal limit in Wisconsin, WITI reported. Wilson made a court appearance Tuesday. His preliminary hearing is scheduled for June 26, the television reported.