Broken Clouds
H 94° L 74°
  • cloudy-day
    Current Conditions
    Broken Clouds. H 94° L 74°
  • cloudy-day
    Partly Cloudy. H 94° L 74°
  • clear-day
    Sunny. H 94° L 74°

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

What we know about the Dominican Republic tourist deaths: Not much

What we know about the Dominican Republic tourist deaths: Not much

9 American Tourists Dead in Dominican Republic

What we know about the Dominican Republic tourist deaths: Not much

The deaths of at least nine American tourists in the Dominican Republic during the past year has sparked many questions but few answers about the safety of a stay on the Caribbean Island.  

On Tuesday, the U.S. State Department confirmed the death of another American tourist in the Dominican Republic. Joseph Allen, 55, of New Jersey died at his hotel last week. Allen is the eighth American to die at Dominican Republic hotels in the past year. One man is said to have died at a private home.

Here is what we know about the deaths that have taken place so far. 

Who has died at DR resorts since January 2019:

January 2019

    1. Jerry Curran, 78, died at the Dreams Resort in Punta Cana.

    April 2019: 

    1. John Corcoran, brother of Barbara Corcoran of “Shark Tank” fame, died at a private home from what his family said was a heart attack. 
    3. Robert Bell Wallace, 67, of California, fell ill while staying at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Punta Cana. He died after being admitted to the hospital.  

    May 2019

    1. According to her family, Miranda Schaup-Werner, 41, of Pennsylvania, consumed a drink from a resort minibar at the Bahia Principe Hotel in La Romana on May 25 and died within hours.
    3. On May 30, Maryland residents Nathaniel Holmes, 63, and Cynthia Day, 49, were found dead at the Bahai Principe Hotel by the staff members. 

    June 2019

    1. On June 10, Leyla Cox, 53, of Staten Island, New York, was discovered dead in her hotel room at the Excellence resort in Punta Cana.
    3. Three days later, Joseph Allen, 55, of New Jersey, died in his room at the Terra Linda hotel in Sosua.

    Two deaths were reported at resorts in the Dominican Republic last year.

    June 2018

      1. Yvette Monique Sport, 51, of Glenside, Pennsylvania, had a drink from her room’s minibar at the Bahai Principe in Punta Cana and died.

      July 2018

        1. David Harrison died at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Punta Cana while on vacation.

        What has been the cause of death for the nine people?

        In some cases, the cause of death has not been released. In some cases, toxicology tests have not been completed.

        Pulmonary edema (fluid in the lungs) has been listed as contributing to the deaths of Schaup-Werner, Day and Holmes. All three also had enlarged hearts and internal bleeding.

        Sport’s cause of death was listed as a heart attack.

        Harrison, according to his widow, had a heart attack. An autopsy also showed he had fluid in his lungs.

        Tom Inglesby, director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, told the Washington Post that pulmonary edema, bleeding and vomiting blood, are “consistent with poisoning,” perhaps accidental.

        “It’s rare for travelers to die of unknown causes like this, and to have a high number of them in a relatively short period of time is alarming, shocking, sad,” Inglesby told the Post. “It’s something that investigators should be able to get to the bottom of.”

        What would cause fluid in the lungs?

        Some causes of pulmonary edema include:

        • Congestive heart failure  
        • Heart attacks
        • Abnormal heart valves 
        • Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) caused by severe infections, trauma, lung injury, inhalation of toxins, lung infections, cocaine smoking, or radiation to the lungs 
        • Brain trauma or bleeding in the brain

        Could it be the hotels?

        No official has said that something at the hotels could have caused the deaths.

        Of the nine U.S. tourists who died, four stayed at Bahia Principe resorts: Schaup-Werner, Holmes, Day and Sport.

        Two died at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino: Harrison and Wallace.

        Two of the other three who died were staying at different hotels: Curran at the Dreams Resort; Allen at the Terra Linda Hotel. Corcoran was reportedly staying at a private home.

        Have others reported being sick?

        On Tuesday, reports surfaced about a group of fans of singer Jimmy Buffett falling ill after attending a concert in the DR in April. 

        Nearly 50 Buffett fans suffered from vomiting, diarrhea and fever.

        A group of around 40 Oklahoma high school graduates on a trip in early June fell ill after eating at a Japanese restaurant managed by the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Punta Cana.

        A couple from Colorado – Kaylynn Knull and Tom Schwander — told CNN they became violently ill while staying at the Grand Bahia Principe La Romana in June of 2018. They claim they were exposed to chemicals that are found in pesticides and have sued the hotel.

        Another couple, Doug Hand and Susie Lauterborn, reported getting sick while staying at the Bahia Principe La Romana in January 2018. Hand told the Washington Post he noticed a “mildewy” smell from the air conditioning system.

        More than 1,000 people have claimed on the website iwaspoisoned.com, that they became sick while visiting the Dominican Republic, the Post reported.

        What do authorities in the Dominican Republic say?

        Local officials say the deaths are "unrelated and isolated", and likely the result of natural causes.

        However, Dominican authorities asked for help with toxicology analysis in investigating the deaths of Schaup-Werner, Holmes and Day, according to the FBI.

        “The U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo is actively working with the Government of the Dominican Republic and the private sector at the highest levels to ensure that U.S. citizens are safe and feel safe while in the Dominican Republic,” the embassy said in a statement.

        The FBI should have toxicology reports back within 30 days, the statement said.

        Should I be concerned about traveling to the Dominican Republic?

        The U.S. State Department has issued a “Level 2” (out of four) warning for tourists considering traveling to the Dominican Republic. The warning is based on a high level of crime, not for possible health risks. 

        How many Americans visit the Dominican Republic each year?

        Around 2 million U.S. residents travel to the Dominican Republic each year. That number represents about a third of all tourist visiting the country each year. 

        Photo: Getty Images
        A golf course at Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic.

        What we know about the Dominican Republic tourist deaths: Not much

        Photo Credit: Photo: Getty Images
        A golf course at Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic.


        Read More


        • Authorities in Michigan are searching for a 2-year-old girl who reportedly vanished from an Oscoda County campsite Monday morning. >> Read more trending news According to the Oscoda County Sheriff's Office, family members of Gabriella Vitale, 2, of the Monroe area, 'lost track' of the girl as they were getting ready to leave the campsite near state Highway 33 and Reber Road. They reported her missing about 8:15 a.m., authorities said. By late Monday, search crews, including deputies, state troopers, police dogs, a police helicopter and Michigan Department of Natural Resources officers, had not found the child, authorities said. Gabriella was wearing a pink zip-up coat, a gray shirt, pink bottoms and tennis shoes when she disappeared, the Sheriff's Office said. Authorities later found the coat 'several hundred yards southeast of where she went missing,' Michigan State Police said. Gabriella 'may have autism,' WWTV reported. If you have any information about Gabriella's whereabouts, call 989-826-3214. Read more here or here.
        • A Tennessee man was indicted on first-degree murder charges after his girlfriend’s 2-year-old son was taken to the hospital and later died. >> Read more news stories Alan Johnson, 41, of Memphis, was taking care of the child while his mother was at work on Oct. 10, 2018, according to officials. He told investigators he was throwing the 2-year-old up in the air and catching him, but the boy slipped on the last throw, authorities said. According to investigators, Johnson said he swung the child – identified as Dylan Meeks – to “keep him from hitting the ground.” He said he saw the boy’s neck go back and noticed he was not responding, so he called police, authorities said. The child died two days later. The staff at Le Bonheur Children's Hospital told police that the injuries, which included a skull fracture, brain swelling, internal injuries and rib fractures, were not consistent with Johnson's story. The medical examiner found new and healing fractures of the child's ribs and also lacerations of several organs.  Johnson was later charged with murder. He was indicted Monday on charges of first-degree murder in the perpetration of aggravated child abuse and neglect. Johnson is being held without bond in the Shelby County Jail.
        • Police have apprehended a Pennsylvania man wanted on charges related to the death of his girlfriend's infant daughter, authorities said.  >> Read more trending news Pennsylvania State Police confirmed that Derrick Bass, 29, was arrested in Ohio on Monday, two days after the 11-month-old was found dead in a Pack ‘n Play at an apartment complex in East Huntingdon Township, Pennsylvania. He has been charged with homicide. The baby’s mother told police that Bass was supposed to be watching her daughter and his two children. He also was supposed to pick her up from work, but never showed up, she told police. When the girl’s mother got home, she noticed her daughter and various electronic items were missing, according to a complaint. She called police shortly after 11 p.m. Police responded to the apartment shortly after 12:30 a.m. after the mother reported finding her daughter unresponsive in the Pack ‘n Play, the complaint said. She did not see her until that time because the baby was covered in blankets, according to the complaint. Family identified the girl as 11-month-old Niomie Miller. An autopsy was conducted Sunday morning, and the preliminary cause of death was determined to be drowning, authorities said.
        • An electric company worker in eastern Kentucky took every precaution recently as he prepared to head out to a job untangling a tree from a power line, but little did he know there was no way to prepare for what was about to happen to him.  >> Read more trending news  Chris Prater told WYMT-TV that he sprayed himself down with insect repellent and joined his crew for the task ahead. After finishing the job, he said his eye bothered him. “I noticed I just started having irritation in my eye,” Prater said. He said he flushed his eye out several times and had a co-worker take a look, yet a spot he noticed didn’t move, WYMT reported. Prater was hesitant to go to a doctor, but finally made an appointment with an optometrist. 'When the doctor finally comes in, he was looking at it. He said, 'I know what's in your eye.'' Prater said he was stunned when the doctor explained what he had found. “He said, ‘It's a tick.’ That's when I got scared a little bit,” Prater told the news station. “I leaned around and looked at him and I asked him if he was joking and he said, ‘No, you have a deer tick or some type of tick.’ It was very little.” The doctor numbed Prater’s eye and used a pair of tweezers to extract the tick. “Once he grabbed ahold of it and pulled it off, the tick made a, like, a little popping sound when it came off of my eye,” Prater said. Luckily there was no lasting damage to his eye, but Prater wanted to warn others about the importance of using insect repellent, even though he knows that wouldn’t have helped his eye.
        • New York authorities are investigating the death of a 3-year-old boy who fell into a grease trap Monday morning in Rochester and died. >> Read more trending news  The tragedy happened behind a Tim Hortons restaurant around 11 a.m., according to WROC-TV. A witness found the boy, pulled him out of the pit and administered CPR but the boy died a short time later at a local hospital. “It’s a horrible, tragic accident,” police investigator Frank Camp told WROC.  There was no fencing around the trap and it was “flush with the ground,” Camp said.  The trap was covered with a green plastic lid and it blended in with the surrounding grass, Camp told CNN. “The lid was on there. It looks like the child ran across it and it popped open and he fell into the trap,” Camp said. The pit is 2.5-feet in diameter, and the city was called in to pour concrete around the trap and replace the plastic lid with a metal one. Right Now: A crew is working to secure a grease trap at Tim Hortons on University Avenue. This is following a tragic accident earlier today. A 3-year-old boy has died after falling into this grease trap. Police attempts were made to save him but were unsuccessful. @SPECNewsROC pic.twitter.com/fubViueURN — Natasha Acrie (@NatashaAcrieTV) July 15, 2019 “We have a horrifying episode here that happened today,” Camp said, according to CNN. “We're asked all the time, ‘What's the worst thing you encounter as a police officer?’ and this is No. 1.” It’s unclear how the child, who was not publicly identified, wandered behind the restaurant. The medical examiner will issue an official cause of death in the next few weeks “We have a horrifying episode here that happened today,” Camp said, according to CNN. “We're asked all the time, ‘What's the worst thing you encounter as a police officer?’ and this is No. 1.” It’s unclear how the child, who was not publicly identified, wandered behind the restaurant. The medical examiner will issue an official cause of death in the next few weeks.
        • A biologist diving off the English coast over the weekend had a stunning and rare encounter with a jellyfish so large, it was easily the size of a grown man. >> Read more trending news  Researcher and broadcaster Lizzie Daly described the encounter as “breathtaking,” according to CNN. “What an unforgettable experience,” said Daly, who was diving as part of her Wild Ocean Week campaign to raise awareness and money for the United Kingdom’s Marine Conservation Society. “I know barrel jellyfish get really big in size but I have never seen anything like it before!” she said.She was diving off the coast of Falmouth, where she and her diving partner spotted the massive jellyfish. “It really humbles you to be alongside an animal that size,” Daly told Vice News. “It’s an experience we’ll never forget.”  Barrel jellyfish inhabit the British seas and are the largest species of jellyfish in U.K. waters, CNN reported. They can grow larger than three feet and weigh more than 55 pounds.