ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
43°
Few Clouds
H 59° L 40°
  • cloudy-day
    43°
    Current Conditions
    Few Clouds. H 59° L 40°
  • clear-day
    55°
    Afternoon
    Sunny. H 59° L 40°
  • clear-night
    50°
    Evening
    Clear. H 59° L 40°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

National
Warrant: Florida boy said before shooting 12-year-old girl, 'Say I won't'
Close

Warrant: Florida boy said before shooting 12-year-old girl, 'Say I won't'

11-Year-Old Shoots 12-Year-Old In Head At Sleepover Party

Warrant: Florida boy said before shooting 12-year-old girl, 'Say I won't'

A 12-year-old Jacksonville, Florida, boy is facing manslaughter charges after he shot a girl in the side of the head with a shotgun, according to the arrest warrant.

The warrant says the boy, whom we are not identifying because he is a minor, was playfully arguing with 12-year-old Ra'Mya Eunice during a sleepover at a home on Willow Branch Avenue on April 30.

>> Read more trending news 

The boy, who was 11 at the time, grabbed a shotgun that was hidden beneath the house, authorities said. He brought it inside and playfully pointed the gun at everyone in the room, according to the report.

Witnesses told police that he pointed the shotgun at Ra'Mya and said, "Say I won't."

Someone in the room replied, "You won't," and the boy shot Ra'Mya in the head, the warrant says.

She was taken to the hospital, where she died May 25. 

The report says the boy fled the house after shooting the girl. He was questioned by police, and a warrant for his arrest was filed Oct. 17.

He is charged with manslaughter but is not being charged as an adult.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

News

  • The government's top doctor is taking aim at the best-selling electronic cigarette brand in the U.S., urging swift action to prevent Juul and similar vaping brands from addicting millions of teenagers. In an advisory Tuesday, Surgeon General Jerome Adams said parents, teachers, health professionals and government officials must take 'aggressive steps' to keep children from using e-cigarettes. Federal law bars the sale of e-cigarettes to those under 18. For young people, 'nicotine is dangerous and it can have negative health effects,' Adams said in an interview. 'It can impact learning, attention and memory, and it can prime the youth brain for addiction.' Federal officials are scrambling to reverse a recent explosion in teen vaping that public health officials fear could undermine decades of declines in tobacco use. An estimated 3.6 million U.S. teens are now using e-cigarettes, representing 1 in 5 high school students and 1 in 20 middle schoolers, according to the latest federal figures. Separate survey results released Monday showed twice as many high school students used e-cigarettes this year compared to last year. E-cigarettes and other vaping devices have been sold in the U.S. since 2007, growing into a $6.6 billion business. Most devices heat a flavored nicotine solution into an inhalable vapor. They have been pitched to adult smokers as a less-harmful alternative to cigarettes, though there's been little research on the long-term health effects or on whether they help people quit. Even more worrisome, a growing body of research suggests that teens who vape are more likely to try regular cigarettes. Adams singled out Silicon Valley startup Juul. The company leapfrogged over its larger competitors with online promotions portraying their small device as the latest high-tech gadget for hip, attractive young people. Analysts now estimate the company controls more than 75 percent of the U.S. e-cigarette market. The surgeon general's advisory notes that each Juul cartridge, or pod, contains as much nicotine as a pack of cigarettes. Additionally, Adams states that Juul's liquid nicotine mixture is specially formulated to give a smoother, more potent nicotine buzz. That effect poses special risks for young people, Adams says. 'We do know that these newer products, such as Juul, can promote dependence in just a few uses,' Adams said. Juul said in a statement that it shares the surgeon general's goal: 'We are committed to preventing youth access of Juul products.' Last month, San Francisco-based Juul shut down its Facebook and Instagram accounts and halted in-store sales of its flavored pods. The flavors remain available via age-restricted online sales. That voluntary action came days before the Food and Drug Administration proposed industrywide restrictions on online and convenience store sales of e-cigarettes to deter use by kids. Adams recommends parents, teachers and health professionals learn about e-cigarettes, talk to children about the risks and set an example by not using tobacco products. ___ The Associated Press Health & Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute's Department of Science Education. The AP is solely responsible for all content.
  • Five years after allegations of tax evasion were first brought against him, Snellville Mayor Tom Witts takes a plea to avoid jail time. The 70-year-old entered what is called an Alford plea to 11 felony counts including tax evasion and making false statements -- meaning he is not admitting guilt, but acknowledges a jury would likely find him guilty based on the evidence.  “Quite honestly, if I had the physical condition and the financial wherewithal, I would have fought it until the end,” he tells WSB’s Sandra Parrish.  Instead, Witts will serve six months house arrest and 10 years of probation. He must also repay the state $40,000 immediately in back taxes and still faces an additional $112,000 in taxes owed that he says he will fight since he had previous business losses that carried forward.  “I don’t owe that money, I never did owe it. I have all my tax returns where they were filed,” he says.  But District Attorney Danny Porter disagrees.  “He’s been trying to sort of ride that business loss claim. But the truth of the matter is, he needed to claim that six years ago and he can’t now go back and claim it,” says Porter.  Witts was indicted in September 2017 on more than 60 counts for using campaign funds for personal expenses such as a cruise, rent, and porn. He is also accused of undercutting city bids so his own company could do the work.  Porter says the sentence is appropriate since Witts is battling colon cancer and is also caring for his ailing wife.  “I think we’ve accomplished what we wanted to accomplish as far as he’s concerned, but there are going to be people who wanted to throw him under the jail,” says Porter.  Witts also agreed to immediately resign as Snellville’s mayor and never serve in political office again.  “I’m very proud of everything I did for the city Snellville. I think I left Snellville in a better place than I found it,” he says.
  • A boy was injured Saturday when his foot was caught in a escalator at a Macy’s department store in Chicago, WBBM reported. >> Read more trending news  Police said the incident occurred at 9:43 a.m. near the fourth floor in the 125-year-old store, the television station reported. The boy, whose name and age have not been disclosed, was taken to a hospital, WBBM reported. In a statement, Macy’s apologized about the incident. “We are very sorry that this accident happened and are currently investigating. We continuously assess the condition of our escalators and elevators to keep compliant within the city and state codes,” the store said in its statement. According to building permit and inspection records, Macy’s failed a permit inspection in October, WBBM reported. Records show three violations pertaining to escalator equipment including one violation that asked the department store to “eliminate sharp edges and corners of decking,” the television station reported. Macy’s said all violations have been addressed, WBBM reported.
  • A Kentucky radio station did not turn a cold shoulder to a classic Christmas song that has been receiving heated criticism. >> Read more trending news  WAKY held a two-hour marathon, playing the 1944 hit “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” and four other versions of the song, defiantly bucking the trend of radio stations that have been pulling the tune from their playlists because of claims the song normalizes date rape, WLKY reported. 'I'm not sure why it's controversial,' Joe Fredele, director of programming for WAKY, told the television station. 'We've played this song for years, you know, this song is older than WAKY is.' Last month, a Cleveland radio station removed the song from its playlist, saying that its lyrics may not be appropriate, particularly since the #MeToo movement began, WOIO reported. >> ‘Baby, It’s Cold Outside’ removed from Ohio station’s playlist 'We really need to think about the impact that songs have, not just 'Baby, It's Cold Outside,' but numerous songs that we decide to play on the radio,' Amy Turner, the director of sexual assault services at The Center for Women and Families, told WLKY. The song, written by Frank Loesser, includes lyrics normally sung by a woman, including “Say, what’s in this drink?” and “I simply must go,” followed by the woman singing “The answer is no.” >> Writer’s daughter says song is not about date rape While Fredele said he supports the #MeToo movement, he is puzzled why “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” has been the target of criticism. 'This song is not about that. All it is, is a dialogue between a man and a woman, and at the end of the song, you hear them harmonize together, so they're agreeing basically,' Fredele told WLKY. 'It's just a fun way of saying, 'Hey this our vote for that song. It's a fun song. It's a romantic song, don't pick on it.’”
  • DeKalb County officer Edgar Flores paid the ultimate price and today, the community will honor his sacrifice. The first of two funerals for the fallen officer will begin at 11 a.m.  We'll explain how you can show your respect to the fallen officer, on Channel 2 Action News This Morning Investigators said 33-year-old Brandon Taylor shot and killed the 24-year-old officer during a traffic stop last week. Today, Flores would have turned 25 years old. He was engaged to be married and is being remembered as a hero. [ RELATED: Law enforcement escorts fallen DeKalb County officer on his final trip home] DeKalb County officers will form a procession at their police headquarters. That will be followed by a funeral at All Saints Catholic Church in Dunwoody. A second service will be held 11 a.m. Wednesday at Prince of Peace Catholic Church in Flowery Branch. Fellow officers have set up a GoFundMe account to help pay for funeral expenses.  TRENDING STORIES: 14 major roads in Atlanta to be affected by Super Bowl traffic plan Justin Fields' stepmom: ‘We haven't made a decision' Student says he was choked, tackled by officer after candy bar theft
  • The busiest road in Midtown Atlanta will be partially closed the day before the Super Bowl for an awards show. There are detours planned and years of thought has gone into it. Officials just want residents to put some thought into their plans as well. More than a million people are expected to navigate the streets of downtown Atlanta for the Super Bowl. “We've been meeting for about two years on how best to tackle this here in Atlanta,” said Super Bowl Host Committee official Amy Patterson. Channel 2 Action News received a glimpse of the plan to minimize the inconvenience. At least 14 roads in midtown and downtown Atlanta will be partially affected by either road or lane closures. We'll show you the areas you will need to avoid, on Channel 2 Action News This Morning TRENDING STORIES: Disney buys up 900+ acres of land south of Walt Disney World Justin Fields' stepmom: ‘We haven't made a decision' Student says he was choked, tackled by officer after candy bar theft