Partly Cloudy
H 87° L 66°
  • cloudy-day
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 87° L 66°
  • cloudy-day
    Partly Cloudy. H 87° L 66°
  • cloudy-day
    Partly Cloudy. H 82° L 60°

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Video from inside VA hospital shows what led up to veteran's death

Video from inside VA hospital shows what led up to veteran's death

Video from inside VA hospital shows what led up to veteran's death
Luke Smyth, 37, served in the military from 1999 to 2004. (WSOCTV.com)

Video from inside VA hospital shows what led up to veteran's death

A South Carolina family is suing the United States over the death of their son.

Luke Smyth, 37, served in the military from 1999 to 2004.

>> Read more trending news 

He was diagnosed with a mental illness that was related to his service and he was honorably discharged from the U.S. Navy, officials said.

His family claims he turned to the Department of Veterans Affairs for care but died at the hands of the medical staff who were supposed to help him.

Smyth's death happened Sept. 8, 2017, inside the Wm. Jennings Bryan Dorn VA Medical Center in Columbia, South Carolina.

Smyth was receiving care near Charleston when impending Hurricane Irma forced him to be evacuated to Columbia.

Video from inside the VA facility shows Smyth entering a room with other patients.

Then seconds later, there was an altercation, and medical staff rushed in.

Two men immediately tackled Smyth to the ground, and one could be seen putting him in a headlock.

"He is pressed flat on this floor with someone who has their arm around his throat, pressing on his carotid (artery)," said Randy Hood, an attorney for Smyth's family. "Another person is on his back pressing his belly into the floor, which means it is going up into his body cavity and pressing on his diaphragm. That's how we breathe."

Hood said Smyth's family is devastated and outraged by what happened next.

The video shows VA employees restrained Smyth at 2:39 p.m.

At 2:49 p.m., an employee checked for a pulse, and less than a minute later, they began CPR.

The Navy veteran did not survive.

The coroner's report lists his manner of death as a homicide.

"No one was charged with a crime, none, zero, zip," said Hood. "A homicide and no one was charged.

Who is going to be held accountable?"

Smyth's family filed a civil lawsuit against the United States over their son's death.

Jeremy Butler is a Navy veteran and CEO of a veterans' advocacy organization, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America.

"I am incredibly angry," said Butler. "This is a veteran who turned to the group that is supposed to be taking care of veterans, to the VA, and that is where all of our veterans should feel safe turning to for help."

Butler said Smyth's death is a horrific example of the lack of adequate mental health care veterans nationwide.

"We are already at 20 a day dying by suicide. We have a hugely unmet mental health crisis that's going on in the veteran community," said Butler.

Concerns over veterans' care go beyond mental health.

In Arkansas, a former VA doctor, Robert Levy, faces involuntary manslaughter charges.

The pathologist is accused of entering false test results contributing to the deaths of three men.

In West Virginia, the FBI is investigating 11 suspicious deaths. One veteran's family claims he died of a fatal dose of insulin.

In August in Salisbury, WSOC-TV reported that Dr. Gregory Earl Scott got his license back after losing it for seeing a patient while intoxicated.

Veterans advocates said there must be change so that our country's heroes are treated with honor.

"We're going to continue to work with the VA, to work with Congress, to work with other veterans service organizations to make sure that what Luke Smyth went through, no other veteran needs to go through," said Butler.

Anchor Allison Latos contacted the VA.

A spokesperson said they don't comment on litigation but provided a statement saying: "Thousands of South Carolina veterans choose to be treated at the Columbia VA Health Care System. In addition to operating one of the largest and most complex facilities in the nation, the facility maintains combined inpatient and outpatient quality standards that are in the top 15% of the nation."

Latos also reached out to the solicitor's office to explain this case.

An employee said the office has had staff changes since 2017, and they could not immediately answer WSOC-TV's questions.

Latos has also reached back out to the VA.

Read More


  • A woman who reportedly befriended R. Kelly on a cruise and paid $100,000 for his bail five months later wants her money back. The Chicago Sun-Times reported Valencia Love put up the money for the bail in February after the R&B singer was in Cook County Jail for three days. His bail was set at $1 million after he pleaded not guilty to 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse. >> Read more trending news  Love paid the 10 percent required, and he was freed, but he has since been back in prison on separate sex crime allegations in federal court, WBBM reported. Now she wants the money back, and her lawyer, John Collins, filed a four-page motion Friday seeking its return, The Sun-Times reported. 'There’s been a substantial change of circumstances,' Collins said, according to WBBM. 'In this instance, he’s held no bond, so the purposes of the bond are frustrated in Illinois.' Collins also argued that Love had no idea there were other investigations into Kelly before she posted the 10 percent bail bond, and now that he is being held without bail on separate federal sex crime charges 'there’s no need to have her money sitting in deposit.' But Cook County Judge Lawrence Flood denied the request Tuesday, saying it had no legal basis and Love signed the bail bond slip, which warned that she could lose the money because a judge might order that the money used to pay his attorney’s fees, fines or other expenses. According to the Sun-Times, Love wants the money to go toward those expenses. She told the publication the money was a loan because Kelly was in jail on the weekend and couldn't access his account, which only he has authority to access. “Why is it such a big deal? He’s already locked up,' she said. 'Why can’t the bail money be returned?' At the Tuesday hearing, Flood also denied a motion to increase Kelly's bond to $1 million. The federal indictment of Kelly in Chicago includes nine counts of enticing a minor, three counts of child pornography and one count of obstruction of justice.Kelly also has federal cases in New York and Minnesota, WGN reported.
  • A 13-year-old boy suffered injuries when he was struck Wednesday morning by a car in South Carolina while he was walking his little sister to a bus stop, police said. >> Read more trending news  Police said the incident happened after dispatchers started to get calls around 7 a.m. about a Chrysler PT Cruiser and a silver sedan that appeared to be involved in a road rage situation near the intersection of Rutherford Road and Wade Hampton Boulevard in Greenville. Police said near the intersection of North Pleasantburg Drive and Mallory Road, the driver of the PT Cruiser lost control and drove onto the sidewalk, striking the 13-year-old. The boy was thrown into the roadway, officials said. His sister was not injured. Authorities said the boy was conscious after the incident. He was taken to a medical facility for evaluation and treatment of his injuries. His condition was not immediately known. The driver of the PT Cruiser was taken to a medical facility with injuries that did not appear to be life-threatening. The driver of the other vehicle involved in the suspected road rage incident left the scene before authorities arrived. Authorities continued work Wednesday to identify the driver. The collision also damaged power lines, causing an outage, police said.
  • A police officer in western Pennsylvania is facing charges that he used his position to have unwanted sexual contact with a woman, state Attorney General Josh Shapiro announced Wednesday. >> Read more trending news  The incident in which Dustin Devault, 47, is accused happened while he served as an officer in Monongahela, officials said. He now works as a part-time officer with the Forward Township Police Department and as a police officer for Highmark. Authorities said the sexual assault is alleged to have happened in a police vehicle while Devault was on duty. Devault allegedly first met the woman in the summer of 2018 during a traffic stop, a grand jury found. The two met and texted several times afterward. The woman told authorities it was her understanding that Devault was going to help her become a police officer and seek treatment for a loved one who was suffering from substance use, according to investigators. On one occasion that the two met, Devault allegedly showed up in full uniform in an unmarked car. While in the car, the woman claims Devault inappropriately touched her several times and repeatedly asked her to have sex with him. 'When you are in that situation, you just freeze. You don't know what to do. He has a gun on him. He is a police officer. And I'm just a female. I just wanted to survive that moment,' the woman said during her testimony to the grand jury. The grand jury found Devault lied to his superiors in the Monongahela Police Department -- where he was removed from his position -- about his interactions with the woman and encouraged a co-worker to also lie. Devault is charged with indecent assault, official oppression and obstructing the administration of law or other governmental functions.
  • A Maine fisherman was stunned Tuesday when he pulled in his fresh catch of lobster from York Harbor. >> Read more trending news  Josh O’Brien told WSCH-TV he found a baby claw growing out of a lobster’s normal claw. “Out of all the thousands of lobsters we catch every week and everything we've caught so far this year, this is only the second of its kind we've seen,” O'Brien said.  The lobsterman cautioned against allowing the unusual growth to turn stomachs, telling WSCH the lobster is fine to eat.  “It's neat to see something like this out of the ordinary and keeps things interesting on the boat.”
  • A Maine woman is accused of rubbing fentanyl residue on her 1-year-old daughter's gums to help her sleep, which caused the child's death nearly a year ago, according to court documents. >> Read more trending news  Kimberly Nelligan, 33, of Bangor, was arrested Tuesday and charged with endangering the welfare of a child., the Bangor Daily News reported. Nelligan also faces a misdemeanor drug charge, WMTW reported. According to court documents, Nelligan had also used fentanyl on her older children. Nelligan called police Oct. 10, 2018, to report her baby was not breathing, the Daily News reported. First responders performed CPR on the child and took her to an area hospital, where she was pronounced dead, WCSH reported. According to detectives, the state medical examiner's office determined the cause of death was from probable toxic effects of fentanyl, WMTW reported. In a police affidavit, the baby’s father told detectives he had seen Nelligan rub the residue of the drug on her daughter’s gums about 15 times, the Daily News reported. Nelligan allegedly told the father she had done the same thing to her two older children when they were babies, according to the affidavit. She insisted she was not trying to injure the child. “You know I didn’t hurt our daughter on purpose,” Nelligan allegedly said to the father, according to the affidavit. Nelligan was taken to the Penobscot County Jail, WCSH reported. She is being held without bond, the television station reported.
  • The anti-gun violence group Sandy Hook Promise Foundation released a public service announcement Wednesday showing students using ordinary back-to-school items to protect themselves from an active shooter. The chilling video shows smiling children talking about their new school items until the scene switches to students using new shoes to run from a shooter, a boy using a new skateboard to bust out a window to escape gunfire, and, the most heart-wrenching, a girl hiding in the bathroom texting her mother that she loves her. >> Read more trending news  The Sandy Hook Promise Foundation, which has called for bans on weapons and the sale of large amounts of ammunition, grew out of the 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. Twenty-six people were shot and killed – 20 children and six adults. The foundation warned viewers that the video is disturbing and explained in a press release why they produced it. “So far this year there have been over 22 school shootings, and with students heading back to school, it seems sadly probable that we will see more incidents. This is unacceptable, given that we have proven tools to prevent these acts from occurring. We cannot accept school shootings as the new normal in our country,” the press release read. “Our goal with this PSA is to wake up parents to the horrible reality that our children endure. Gone are the days of viewing back-to-school as just a carefree time, when school violence has become so prevalent. However, if we come together to know the signs, this doesn’t have to be the case. I hope that parents across the country will join me to make the promise to stop this epidemic,” said Nicole Hockley, co-founder and managing director of Sandy Hook Promise, in the press release. Hockley’s son, Dylan, was killed in the Sandy Hook School shooting. The PSA is below. Warning: Some people may find the contents disturbing.