ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
45°
Mostly Cloudy
H 45° L 40°
  • cloudy-day
    45°
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Cloudy. H 45° L 40°
  • cloudy-day
    45°
    Today
    Mostly Cloudy. H 45° L 40°
  • rain-day
    58°
    Tomorrow
    Showers. H 58° L 36°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

National
Thousand Oaks shooting: All 12 victims identified
Close

Thousand Oaks shooting: All 12 victims identified

VIDEO: Victims of the Thousand Oaks Shooting

Thousand Oaks shooting: All 12 victims identified

Twelve people died late Wednesday after a gunman opened fire on a crowd gathered for a weekly country music dance night popular with college students at a bar in Thousand Oaks, California.

>> Read more trending news

Deputies did not immediately release the names of the victims as they worked to notify their families.

>> Thousand Oaks shooting: 12 killed, including deputy, at California bar; suspect also dead

Here’s what we know about the victims:

Ron Helus, 54

 

Ventura County sheriff’s Sgt. Ron Helus, a 29-year veteran of the department, died Wednesday night while responding to reports of the shooting, according to deputies.

“Ron was a great guy. He was close to everybody,” Sheriff Geoff Dean said. “He was a hard worker and hearts are broken all over.”

Dean said Helus was on the phone with his wife Wednesday night, something he often did during his shifts, when a call about the shooting at Borderline Bar & Grill came in, Dean said.

>> On Fox 23.com: Sergeant killed in California mass shooting is Oklahoma alum 

“He said to her, ‘Hey, I’ve got to go handle a call, I love you, I’ll talk to you later,’” Dean said. “He went in there to save people and made the ultimate sacrifice.”

Helus is survived by his wife and a grown son.

“Ron’s selfless, heroic actions will never be forgotten,” deputies said Thursday morning in a statement. “Our hearts go out to his family and friends during this difficult time.”

Cody Coffman, 22

Frederic J. BROWN/AFP/Getty Images/AFP/Getty Images
Jason Coffman displays a photo of his son Cody outside the Thousands Oaks Teene Center where he came hoping to find his son who was at the Borderline Bar and Grill in Thousand Oaks, California, on November 8, 2018. - Twelve people, including a police sergeant, were shot dead in a shooting at the bar close to Los Angeles, police said Thursday. All the victims were killed inside the bar in the suburb of Thousand Oaks late on November 7, including the officer who had been called to the scene, Sheriff Geoff Dean told reporters. The gunman was also dead at the scene, Dean added.
Close

Thousand Oaks shooting: What we know about the victims

Photo Credit: Frederic J. BROWN/AFP/Getty Images/AFP/Getty Images
Jason Coffman displays a photo of his son Cody outside the Thousands Oaks Teene Center where he came hoping to find his son who was at the Borderline Bar and Grill in Thousand Oaks, California, on November 8, 2018. - Twelve people, including a police sergeant, were shot dead in a shooting at the bar close to Los Angeles, police said Thursday. All the victims were killed inside the bar in the suburb of Thousand Oaks late on November 7, including the officer who had been called to the scene, Sheriff Geoff Dean told reporters. The gunman was also dead at the scene, Dean added.

Jason Coffman told reporters on Thursday that deputies confirmed his son, Cody Coffman, was among the 12 people killed in Wednesday night’s shooting at Borderline Bar & Grill.

Jason Coffman said his son had recently moved in with him and his wife.

“I talked to him last night before he headed out the door,” he said. “First thing I said was, ‘Please, don’t drink and drive.’ Last thing I said was, ‘Son, I love you.’”

Jason Coffman said deputies told him that his son was found dead at the scene of Wednesday’s mass shooting.

“His life was cut short at too young of an age, but we have faith in our God,” said Jason Coffman’s father-in-law, Mike Johnston. “Life is sacred and we should cherish it. I can’t comprehend – we want to look for reasons. There is no reason why evil things happen.”

Cody Coffman is survived by three younger brothers and a soon-to-be-born sister.

Alaina Housley, 18

In a statement released to BuzzFeed News, actress Tamara Mowry-Housley and her husband, Adam Housley, confirmed that their niece, Alaina, was among the 12 people killed in Wednesday's shooting at Borderline Bar & Grill.

"Alaina was an incredible young woman with so much life ahead of her and we are devastated that her life was cut short in this manner," the couple said in a statement. "We thank everyone for your prayers and ask for privacy at this time."

>> Photos: 12 killed in Thousand Oaks, California, bar shooting

Alaina Housley was a freshman at Pepperdine University. Two of her suitemates said they jumped through a broken window to escape from the shooting, Adam Housley told the San Diego Union-Tribune. He said they told him they lost sight of Alaina Housley in the chaotic aftermath of the attack.

 

 

“She’s an amazing girl,” Adam Housley told the Union-Tribune. “I know you always hear those things.”

Justin Meek, 23

 

Officials with California Lutheran University confirmed Thursday that one of the college's recent graduates was among the 12 people killed when a gunman opened fire Wednesday night at Borderline Bar & Grill. 

"Sadly, we have learned from the family that a recent graduate, Justin Meek, 23, is one of the precious lives cut short in this tragedy,” officials said on the university’s website. “Meek heroically saved lives in the incident.”

Daniel Manrique, 33

 

Daniel Manrique, a former Marine sergeant, volunteered to help the homeless and to help provide daycare services at a church while also working with Team Red, White and Blue, a non-profit group that helps veterans transition back to the community, The Orange County Register reported.

“The best way I can describe him is as a ‘saint.’ He truly believed in service,” Tim O’Brien, Manrique’s friend and business partner, told the Register. “Dan was the guy you could rely on if you ran out of gas in the middle of the night. He would help you out if something bad happened. He was there, dedicated, loyal.”

According to Team Red, White and Blue, Manrique served as a radio operator with the 2nd Combat Engineer Battalion, 2nd Marine Division. He was deployed to Afghanistan in 2007 with the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit.

Manrique was at Borderline Bar & Grill meeting friends Wednesday night, according to KNBC.

Noel Sparks, 21

 

United Methodist Church Westlake Village confirmed in a Facebook post that Noel Sparks was among the 12 people killed in Wednesday night’s shooting.

Rev. Walter Dilg, senior pastor at United Methodist Church, told The Press-Enterprise that Sparks grew up in the church, participating in Sunday groups and the choir. She went to a different church once she got into Moorpark College, according to The Press-Enterprise.

“She was always so joyful to help others and fill needs,” the newspaper reported Sparks’s friend, Sarah Penrose, wrote in a Facebook post. “Wishing I could have spent more time with her before this happened.”

Jake Dunham, 21

 

Dunham's father told KTLA that he tried to get a hold of him all Thursday morning, but he never answered the phone.

"I keep calling it but there’s no answer," Dunham’s told KNBC. "It just keeps ringing out. And he always answers his phone."

The Thousand Oaks Acorn later confirmed Dunham was among the people killed Wednesday night at Borderline Bar & Grill.

The brother of Blake Dingman, another victim of Wednesday’s shooting, said on Instagram that Dingman and Dunham were good friends.

Sean Adler, 48

 

Sean Adler worked as a bouncer at Borderline Bar & Grill and had been a strength coach at Royal High School, according to a post on the Royal Wrestling Facebook page.

“He was positive, motivational, and truly wanted the best for the people around him,” the post said. “Thank you Sean for your help and most of all your friendship.”

Earlier this year, Adler opened a coffee shop called Rivalry Roasters in a strip mall in Simi Valley, the Ventura County Star reported.

Blake Dingman, 21

 

The Thousand Oaks Acorn reported Blake Dingman was among the victims in Wednesday’s deadly shooting at Borderline Bar & Grill.

Aidan Dingman, identified by KTLA as Blake Dingman’s brother, took to Instagram to mourn his brother.

“Words cannot describe the pain I am feeling,” he wrote in a post that included a photo of himself and his brother. “Last night my life was changed forever. I received news of gunfire at Borderline Bar & Grille from a friend. Which was where my brother was hanging out for the night. Me, my dad, and mom raced to the scene. Or as close as we could get. We tried for hours and hours to get in touch with Blake and got no response. At 12:00 this morning I was informed that my amazing brother was taken down by the shooter as well as his good friend Jake Dunham. Blake, I love you so much and I miss you more than you can imagine.”

Kristina Morisette, 20

 

The Thousand Oaks Acorn confirmed Kristina Morisette was among those killed in Wednesday night’s shooting at Borderline Bar & Grill. Social media reports indicated she was working at the bar when the shooting started.

Morisette was from Simi Valley and loved country music, KNBC reported.

“Kristina was always the nicest girl,” Brandon Bohning, 19, who grew up with Morisette, told the San Bernadino County Sun. “She never had a frown on her face – it was rare. She always had a positive attitude about everything. She never picked on anyone growing up.”

Telemachus Orfanos, 27

 

The Thousand Oaks High School track and field team confirmed on Twitter that Telemachus "Tel" Orfanos, the son of the team’s high jump coach Marc Orfanos, died in Wednesday's shooting.

"There are no words for this tragedy," the team said in a Twitter post. "Our hearts are breaking for Marc and his family."

Telemachus Orfanos served for 2 1/2 years in the U.S. Navy and sometimes worked as a bouncer at Borderline Bar & Grill, The Ventura County Star reported. However, his father told the newspaper that he wasn't working on the night of the shooting.

Marky Meza Jr., 20 

 

Marky Meza Jr., a 20-year-old busboy and food runner was identified by family members as one of the victims, KEYT reported. He was raised in Santa Barbara and Carpinteria and worked at the restaurant as a busboy and food runner, the station said. 

Meza graduated from Carpinteria High School, the television station reported.

According to a statement released by the family, Meza would have turned 21 on Nov. 19.
“Marky was a loving and wonderful young man who was full of life and ambition,” the statement said. “His family is devastated by his loss. … His family asks for peace and respect at this time to allow them to grieve privately.”

Read More

News

  • Producers of the Pepsi Super Bowl LIII Halftime Show are looking for people to participate in the halftime show at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on Feb. 3. About 450 people are needed to be part of the “Field Team” that will help move the halftime show stages and scenic elements on and off the field. Channel 2 Action News Sports Director Zach Klein talked with officials on Tuesday who said they're still looking for more 'Field Team' members. Maroon 5, Big Boi and Travis Scott are headlining the Super Bowl LIII Halftime Show. Our LIVE Team 2 Coverage of Super Bowl LIII continues on Channel 2 Action News starting at 4 p.m. We're getting a behind-the-scenes look at the Super Bowl Experience + talking with cyber security experts working to keep you and the city safe. “Field Team” members must be able to attend all scheduled rehearsals, be over the age of 18 and be in good physical health. No prior experience is required. Anyone interested in applying can view the rehearsal schedule HERE. If it fits your schedule, CLICK HERE to apply for a position. NOTE: “Field Team” members will not receive tickets or the opportunity to watch the Super Bowl. However, they will be an integral part of the halftime show.
  • A man identified by authorities Tuesday as the suspect in the fatal shooting of a teenager at a suburban Chicago mall was previously convicted of armed robbery and had been an acquaintance of the victim. Orland Park Police identified the suspect as 19-year-old parolee Jakharr Williams of University Park. The department said in a news release that Williams, who fled after the shooting and has not been arrested, should be considered armed and dangerous. Police said Williams and 18-year-old Javon Britten of Richton Park were arguing in a food court at Orland Square Mall Monday when Williams allegedly pulled out a handgun and fired several shots. Britten was struck and a bystander's leg was grazed by a bullet. Police said Britten staggered to a nearby clothing store, where he collapsed. He was pronounced dead at Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn a short time later. According to the Illinois Department of Corrections website and Orland Park Police, Williams was convicted of armed robbery in 2017, and that he served a little more than a year in prison before he was released in June last year. Orland Park is about 20 miles (32 kilometers) southwest of Chicago.
  • In the legal equivalent of a Hail Mary pass, two New Orleans Saints season ticket holders have asked a judge to reverse the result of the NFC championship game that sent the Los Angeles Rams to the Super Bowl — or order a do-over. Tuesday's state court filing says NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell should implement a league rule governing 'extraordinarily unfair acts.' Remedies include reversal of a game's result or the rescheduling of a game — in its entirety or from the point when the act occurred. At issue is the failure of officials to call interference or roughness penalties when a Rams player leveled a Saints receiver with a helmet-to-helmet hit at a crucial point in Sunday's game. The NFL hasn't yet responded. A hearing is scheduled Monday.
  • A man is under arrest in Utah after police say he posted on Facebook about 'killing as many girls as I see' the same weekend that Women's Marches were held around the U.S. Christopher W. Cleary, 27, wrote he wanted to be 'the next mass shooter,' because he had never had a girlfriend and he was still a virgin, according to jail documents filed by police in the city of Provo. He wanted to 'make it right' with women who had turned him down and also said 'there's nothing more dangerous than a man ready to die,' the documents said. Cleary is from Denver and Colorado police on Saturday contacted officers in Provo, south of Salt Lake City, where Cleary had checked into an AirBnB rental a day earlier. With help from the FBI, officers tracked Cleary to a restaurant and arrested him on suspicion of a felony threat of terrorism charge. The posts did not mention the marches but investigators were concerned because they were happening that day in Provo and Salt Lake City, along with dozens of other cities, the documents said. Cleary acknowledged making the posts, but said he deleted them after receiving threats in response, police said. He told investigators he had an impulse-control disorder and was suicidal. Colorado authorities said Cleary is on probation after stalking and threatening women there, according to Utah police documents. He was being held without bail in Utah, and authorities were expected to seek his extradition to Colorado. No attorney or publicly listed phone number was immediately available for Cleary.
  • Country singer John Berry revealed he is battling tonsil cancer, Billboard reported Tuesday. Berry, 59, announced the cancer in a video he recorded with his wife, Robin Berry, and posted to his Facebook page.  “We started off this year with a hiccup, and we want to tell you a little bit about that,” John Berry said in the video.  It is not the first time Berry has experienced a medical scare. On the day his song “Your Love Amazes Me” hit No. 1 in 1994, Berry had surgery to remove a benign brain tumor, Billboard reported. Berry said he became aware of his latest health issue in November before his latest tour, the magazine reported.“I had a little catch in my throat, it felt like, it felt exactly like, the skin of a Spanish peanut was stuck in my throat,” Berry said in the video.  After examining his tonsils Berry noticed they were swollen. Despite going to a doctor and receiving steroids and antibiotics, the problem persisted, Berry said. He completed his tour and then saw a doctor Jan. 4, Rolling Stone reported. A CT scan revealed two tumors in his tonsils, so he had surgery to remove them, the magazine reported. After receiving biopsy results, doctors told Berry he had tonsil cancer. Berry will begin a five-week chemotherapy and radiation treatment plan this week, Rolling Stone reported. “This particular cancer is one of the most highly treatable, and has an incredible cure rate,” Berry said in his video. According to his website, Berry had 20 singles on the country charts during the 1990s, six of which were Top 5 songs. He won a Grammy Award in 1996 for his participation in “Amazing Grace: A Country Salute to Gospel, Vol. 1.”
  • Atlanta police are investigating a sexual assault at Opera nightclub after video of the incident was posted on Facebook.  >> Read more trending news Officer Jarius Daugherty said the Atlanta Police Department began receiving calls from people who had seen the assault on a Facebook Live video early Sunday morning. The police department has opened an investigation into the incident at the club on Crescent Avenue in Midtown. The video “appears to show a woman being sexually assaulted in a local nightclub,” Daugherty told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.  Police have not released details on the alleged assault, but the woman filed a police report on the crime. It is the policy of the AJC to not name victims of sexual crimes. According to WSB-TV, the victim was celebrating her birthday Saturday at the popular Midtown nightclub when she was sexually assaulted. The woman told police someone put drugs in her drink and then sexually assaulted her on the dance floor, WSB-TV reported. The victim, who was already streaming her celebration on Facebook Live, captured the attack as it happened and continued to stream the video. According to media reports, the woman is heard in the video screaming for help. Video of the sexual assault has since been removed from Facebook. The woman later posted a video saying she is OK, WSB-TV reported.  In a statement posted to Facebook and Twitter, Opera nightclub managers said they are cooperating with the investigation.  “At this time we have met with the Atlanta Police Department and have provided them with everything they have requested,” read the statement posted Sunday. “We will continue to aid and support their investigation in any way we can.”