Broken Clouds
H 74° L 54°
  • cloudy-day
    Current Conditions
    Broken Clouds. H 74° L 54°
  • cloudy-day
    Partly Cloudy. H 74° L 54°
  • clear-day
    Mostly Sunny. H 74° L 54°

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Teen viciously beaten at Six Flags amusement park settles suit for $35 million

Teen viciously beaten at Six Flags amusement park settles suit for $35 million

Teen Brutally Beaten at Georgia Six Flags Settles Suit for $35 Million

Teen viciously beaten at Six Flags amusement park settles suit for $35 million

The thrills and chills are supposed to stop at Six Flags Over Georgia once you get off the rides.

>> Read more trending news 

That wasn’t the case for Joshua Martin on July 3, 2007.

The 19-year-old Marietta kid was with his brother and their friend just outside the park when several gang members descended upon them at a bus station 200 feet from the amusement park’s property line.

It was a flurry of brass-knuckled punches and kicks.

Martin had a shoe print embossed on his forehead when he was rushed to Grady Memorial Hospital from Austell.

He was in a coma seven days and suffered severe brain injuries.

Martin sued the amusement park and his assailants, who have either pleaded guilty to or been convicted in the gang beating. The case went before Georgia’s Supreme Court, which found that Martin was owed $35 million.

A decade later, it appears the legal portion of Martin’s journey has been resolved.

>> Related: Stephon Clark autopsy: Police bullets hit him 8 times, including 6 in back

The case has been settled, Six Flags’ appellate attorney Laurie Webb Daniel told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Thursday.

She and Martin’s attorney, Michael Neff, both declined to give details of the settlement reported this week by a local law blog, including how much money was paid out.

The case was set to return to court to determine who would pay the $35 million Martin was due.

Six Flags was supposed to pay $32.2 million of that tab. The other $2.8 million was to come from the four convicted gang member assailants: Willie Gray Franklin Jr., Brad McGail Johnson, DeAndre Evans and Claude Morey III.

In 2015, the Georgia Court of Appeals threw out the $35 million jury award and ordered a new trial because there were more — but unidentified — attackers.

>> Related: Pulse verdict: Jury finds shooter's wife Noor Salman not guilty

The state Supreme Court reversed the appellate court’s ruling in June 2017. The state’s highest court determined a new trial wasn’t needed, but that the other offenders should have to pay a portion of the $35 million in damages.

The settlement was reached sometime after that decision.

Neff declined to comment on Martin’s health this week, citing the family’s privacy.

About two months after the 2007 beating, The AJC interviewed Martin’s mother.

“He’s improving every day. We’re taking it day by day,” Barbara Martin said in August of 2007.

>>Related: Police impersonator pulls over, fatally shoots off-duty officer 

She was helping her son walk around their Marietta apartment and having him use putty to strengthen his hands.

At the time, Neff said the right side of Martin’s brain was affected most, making it tough to have a conversation with him because he forgets things easily.

The teen was an aspiring artist and wanted to attend the Art Institute of Atlanta.

Six Flags argued that it was not responsible for the attack because it didn’t happen on the amusement park’s property, but the Supreme Court justices decided differently.

“This case stands for the common sense proposition that a property owner does not escape liability for an attack that begins on its premises simply because the victim moves outside the premises before the attack is completed,” Justice Britt C. Grant wrote in her opinion of the 10-2 vote.

>> Related: Georgia pastor sentenced after conviction on sexual battery charge against minor

On the day of the attack, the gang of between 15 and 40 people roamed the park pestering patrons and yelling obscenities, according to the opinion.

Park security responded to one incident in which the group harassed several families, reportedly saying “we’ll get you out in the parking lot.”

The families notified a security guard who testified that he should have kicked them out of the park, but didn’t.

The gang later saw the families who initially reported them and chased the families out of Six Flags. Heading back from the parking lot, they saw Martin and his group outside the main entrance about 9 p.m.

They testified to hearing the gang planning to fight someone, anyone. One gang member was reportedly overheard saying “some guy’s going to get messed up,” according to the opinion.

That’s when Martin and his party moved to the bus station technically off Six Flags property but within sight of the park. The gang followed and that’s where the beating happened.

A Cobb County police officer who worked off-duty as a Six Flags security guard said many of the seasonal employees were gang members and that gang issues were spoken about in daily briefings at the park.

>> Related: Kentucky off-duty officer killed; suspected shooter dies in Tennessee

According to the opinion, a police investigator testified that a Six Flags official reached out to him a few days after the attack seeking assurance that police would “not release any information that would lead the public to believe that Six Flags Over Georgia was anything but a safe, family atmosphere.”

A Six Flags spokesman declined to comment Thursday, saying the company doesn’t speak about litigation.

Read More


  • Two men are accused to stealing more than $70,000 worth of musical instruments from the University of Louisville’s School of Music, WLKY reported. >> Read more trending news  Alphonso Monrew, 22, and Anthony Abrams, 52, were arrested Thursday, according to Jefferson County Jail records. Each were charged with two counts of third degree burglary and two counts of theft by unlawful taking, the television station reported. According to police, on several occasions the two men stole instruments, including a $10,000 guitar, from the university’s music school, WLKY reported. The thefts occurred over several weeks, the television station reported. All of the instruments have been recovered and will be returned to students, police said.
  • A Texas woman got an early start to celebrating her 105th birthday, joining more than 150 family members for a party at a San Antonio church, KSAT reported. >> Read more trending news  Minnie McRae, who turns 105 on Tuesday, was the guest of honor at Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church on Saturday, the television station reported. McRae’s nephew, Arturo Ayala, flew from Germany to attend the party for a woman who taught him how to dance by giving him lessons in her living room, KSAT reported.  Ayala said he believes he knows the secret to his aunt’s long life 'She's never shared it, but from my relationship with her, I see her always praying and ... always reading,' Ayala told the television station.  Ayala also said McRae was very spiritual and did work with Incarnate Word. 'She's a blessing and she's a miracle,' Ayala told KSAT.
  • There will be laughing, singing, and music swinging when singer Martha Reeves receives another honor in May. >> Read more trending news  Reeves, 77, the lead vocalist of 1960s group Martha and Vandellas, will be honored by the Alabama State Council on the Arts on May 22, AL.com reported. Reeves was the singer for the group’s hits, including “Dancing in the Streets,” “Heat Wave” and “Jimmy Mack.” Reeves, a native of Eufaula, will receive Alabama’s 2019 Distinguished Artist Award. The award recognizes “a professional artist who is considered a native or adopted Alabamian and who has earned significant national acclaim for their art over an extended period,' according to the council’s website. Other recipients of the award include Jim Nabors, Fannie Flagg and George Lindsey. Vandella moved to Detroit as a child and grew up singing in church, AL.com reported. Her gospel-influenced vocals were evident in the group’s pop and rhythm and blues songs, which gave the Vandellas a string of hits on the Motown label. Reeves was inducted with the group -- Rosalind Ashford-Holmes, Annette Sterling-Helton, Lois Reeves and Betty Kelly -- into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1995. “Martha and the Vandellas were the Supremes’ tougher, more grounded counterpart,” the Rock Hall website says. “With her cheeky, fervent vocals, Martha Reeves led the group in a string of dance anthems that are irresistible to this day.” Reeves was inducted into the Alabama Music Hall of Fame in 1995. 
  • A Florida deputy was arrested after an altercation at a Jacksonville nightclub, the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office reported. >> Read more trending news  According to the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office, Officer Rodney Bryant, a 5 1/2-year member of the department, was involved in a dispute Friday at Mascara's Gentlemen's Club with his girlfriend and her friend.  Bryant has been charged with three counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. He has been terminated from his position in the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office. According to deputies, the group left the club but the dispute continued in a vehicle. This was when Bryant allegedly pulled over, opened the trunk of his vehicle and pulled out a firearm.  Bryant allegedly pointed the gun at the two women, making threats, according to the Sheriff’s Office.  They were all pulled over long enough for the girlfriend's friend to make contact with her sister, who later arrived at the scene, according to the Sheriff’s Office. The girl's sister observed Bryant with the firearm making threats and that he pointed the firearm at her, according to the Sheriff’s Office.
  • A Marine killed in action during the Vietnam War nearly 50 years ago was honored in a memorial service Saturday, and a headstone and plaque were erected at his gravesite at a South Florida cemetery, the Sun-Sentinel reported. >> Read more trending news  Private First Class Gregory Carter was killed in action Oct. 12, 1969, in the Quang Ngai province of South Vietnam, according to according to a Vietnam military casualties database on Ancestry.com. He was remembered in a service attended by nearly 200 people Saturday at Sunset Memorial Gardens in Fort Lauderdale, the Sun-Sentinel reported. “It’s like he woke up to the world again,” Carter’s brother, Anthony Owens, told the newspaper. “His life is meaningful. It means something.” “No, I did not (expect this many people). It raised our spirits, big time.” Carter laid in an unmarked grave until the Vietnam Veterans of America discovered him while searching for photographs of Vietnam veterans to place on the black granite Wall of Faces in Washington, D.C., the Sun-Sentinel reported. Carter was drafted into the Marines on July 4, 1969, when he was 19, according to the Ancestry.com database. He already had a young son and a daughter was on the way, but Carter would never know either of them, the newspaper reported. The Vietnam Veterans of America worked with the city of Fort Lauderdale and others to get Carter’s grave marker, the Sun-Sentinel reported. The organization also secured a photograph from a baseball team photograph in the Dillard High School yearbook, the newspaper reported. Gregory Carter now lies with his mother, grandparents, three siblings and other relatives at Sunset Memorial Gardens. “If you die you’re just lost until somebody thinks about you again,” Anthony Owens told the Sun-Sentinel. “So his spirit is probably all around us right now. It’s a good thing. He’s doing good.”
  • The wife of former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio was bitten by a rattlesnake at their Arizona home Friday, the Arizona Republic reported. >> Read more trending news  Ava Arpaio was working on her computer in her office around 10 a.m. when the snake bit her on the left foot, Joe Arpaio told the newspaper. 'She's tough. If she can put up with me for 60 years, then she can handle a snake bite,' Joe Arpaio told the Republic. Joe Arpaio, 86, said the large rattlesnake was removed by fire crews. 'Must've been a Democrat,' the longtime Republican joked to the Republic. Ava Arpaio likely will be in a hospital for 'two or three' days, her husband told the newspaper. Arpaio served as sheriff of Maricopa County for 24 years until losing re-election to Democrat Paul Penzone in 2016. The 86-year-old lawman made national news for his Tent City Jail where inmates were housed in Korean War era army tents, KSAZ reported. >> President Trump pardons Joe Arpaio Joe Arpaio was convicted of a criminal charge in July 2017 for refusing to stop traffic patrols that targeted immigrants. He was pardoned a month later by President Donald Trump.