On Air Now

Listen Now


Very Cold
H 40° L 25°
  • clear-day
    Current Conditions
    Very Cold. H 40° L 25°
  • very-cold-day
    Very Cold. H 40° L 25°
  • very-cold-day
    Very Cold. H 42° L 24°

News on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Teen dies after contracting mono

Teen dies after contracting mono

Florida teen dies after contracting mono

Teen dies after contracting mono

A musician, artist and athlete taken far too soon.

Ariana Rae, known to many as Ana, was a star student-athlete and artist at Fernandina Beach High School.

“She was a very giving soul; she would give anybody anything,” her father, Mark Delfs, said.

But at just 17 years old, Ana died of mononucleosis, a contagious disease many people have heard of, but one that many believe isn’t deadly.

>> Read more trending news 

“Your body is supposed to be able to fight it off. It was too far, too fast,” Delfs said.

Three weeks ago, she started feeling sick.

“She had cold symptoms. The persistent thing all the way through was a headache; she seem to always have a headache.”

Delfs says they took her to the doctor and they did a lot of tests, but the doctors still couldn’t pinpoint what was wrong.

Her condition kept getting worse.

“One evening, not too long ago, she started throwing up just constantly. We got very nervous, so the next morning at 7 a.m. we said we’re going to take her to the hospital.”

But there, her symptoms only got worse.

“She got up to go to the bathroom," he said. "All of a sudden she couldn’t feel part of her legs, and she felt like her legs were just giving out.”

Doctors thought she was having a stroke and airlifted her to a hospital in Jacksonville.

“Her words were very slurred at times. She was just talking gibberish, and the damage was already beginning at that point, which we just didn’t know,” her dad said.

It was only in her final days when doctors learned what was wrong.

“She actually had mono and Epstein-Barr, which is mononucleosis, which is the sleeping disease.”

Something doctors had tested for but Delfs says they couldn’t detect it.

Ana had been in the hospital for only three days when Delfs had to say goodbye to her.

“Her brain swelled to the point where it couldn’t function and brain damage did occur," he said. “And we just made the decision that it was time to let her go.”

While the Delfs and the entire community are still coming to terms with the loss, her father hopes her story can save someone else’s child.

He urges parents to take every symptom of illness seriously and be on top of it.

“In our case, it wasn’t enough, but in somebody else’s case it may save their life,” he said.

Delfs says the silver lining to it all was the fact that she will continue helping people.

“The doctor actually told us she was an organ donor and we were just, I can’t even describe it. We were just like, ‘Wow, that’s her. That sums her up right there.’”

There is a big community rallying behind the Delfs family. Mark Delfs has started a GoFundMe legacy fund in his daughter’s honor.

“Within 24 hours, I think, we just about hit $10,000, which I’m just so blown away by.”

He says the money will be donated to all the places, people and organizations that Ana loved.

If you would like to help, visit www.arianadelfs.com.

Read More


  • Model Ashley Graham announced the birth of her first child, a boy, in an Instagram stories post. The supermodel and her husband of nine years, filmmaker Justin Ervin, welcomed the boy Saturday, Graham wrote on Instagram. “At 6 p.m. on Saturday our lives changed for the better,” she wrote on her Instagram story. “Thank you for all your love and support during this incredible time.” Graham, who hosts the podcast “Pretty Big Deal,” tagged her husband in the post but did not provide other details, including the boy’s name, People reported. Graham announced her pregnancy in August on the couple’s ninth wedding anniversary. Ervin and Graham dated for a year before getting engaged in 2009. They married two months later.
  • As far as a chair umpire at the Australian Open was concerned, it was a slip of tennis etiquette. During a qualifying round for the Grand Slam event, Elliot Benchetrit of France was rebuked by the official when he asked a ballgirl to peel his banana, News.com.au reported. Benchetrit, 21, was handed the banana during a break in his match against Dmitry Popko and asked the girl for help in peeling the fruit, indicating his heavily taped fingers prevented him from doing so, Nine.com.au reported. Chair umpire John Blom interrupted and told Benchetrit to peel his own banana, according to News.com.au. The Frenchman, No. 229 in the men’s tennis world rankings, took the banana back from the amused ballgirl and tried to peel it with his teeth, CNN reported. At least Benchetrit did not slip on the court. He defeated Popko 4-6 6-2 6-3 and will face Japan’s Yuichi Sugita, ranked 84th in the world, Tuesday during the first round of the Australian Open.
  • On the eve of the impeachment trial of President Donald Trump, the president’s legal team said Monday called the case “flimsy” and a “dangerous perversion of the Constitution,” according to The Associated Press. The brief, which was filed Monday in anticipation of arguments expected this week in the Senate impeachment trial, dismisses the case as a “brazenly political act” by the House of Representatives, The New York Times reported. The legal team also claims in its brief that the “rigged process” should be rejected by the Senate, the newspaper reported. The brief further states that neither of the two articles of impeachment against Trump are valid because they do not state a violation of the law, the Times reported. The 110-page brief from the White House asserts the case was never about finding the truth, the AP reported. 'Instead, House Democrats were determined from the outset to find some way — any way — to corrupt the extraordinary power of impeachment for use as a political tool to overturn the result of the 2016 election and to interfere in the 2020 election,” Trump’s legal team wrote, according to the AP. “All of that is a dangerous perversion of the Constitution that the Senate should swiftly and roundly condemn.” Proceedings in the impeachment trial are scheduled to begin Tuesday.
  • You might know him as Khal Drogo. Others see him as Aquaman. Regardless, actor Jason Momoa brought plenty of smiles to patients and families at UPMC Children’s Hospital in Pittsburgh. Hospital officials said Momoa visited the facility while taking a break filming his Netflix feature in Pittsburgh, WPXI reported. The hospital posted photos on social media of the actor visiting patients at the facility. The Netflix movie, “Sweet Girl,” will begin filming in the fall. Momoa is producing it.
  • That was sew nice. A stray cat in Wisconsin lost her ears to an infection, but now she has some new ones after a woman crocheted her some new ones, WTMJ reported. The cat, named Lady in a Fur Coat, had to have her ear flaps removed according to the Dane County Humane Society. The feline was bought into the Humane Society in December and began treatment for chronic ear infections, spokeswoman Marissa DeGroot told CNN. The cat’s appearance was a little unsettling, so Ash Collins, who works at the Humane Society, decided to crochet Lady an ear bonnet, CNN reported. It took some gentle persuasion and treats, but the cat finally was fitted into her new purple ears. “It’s amazing because we see these strays and medical cases come in and I think we’re always surprised by their resiliency,” DeGroot told CNN. Less than 24 hours after the Humane Society posted the cat’s story on Facebook, Lady was adopted.
  • A New Hampshire man died Sunday night when his snowmobile fell through the ice on the largest lake in Maine, authorities said. Steven K. Allard, 56, of South Hampton, was returning from snowmobiling with his wife on Moosehead Lake when his vehicle broke through the ice on the west side of the lake, the Bangor Daily News reported. Allard’s snowmobile fell into the ice near the mouth of the Moose River, according to Mark Latti, a spokesman for the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. Allard was pulled from the lake at 10:15 p.m. but he was unresponsive, Latti told the Daily News. Allard was taken to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead, Latti said. “Snowmobilers need to stay aware of their surroundings and understand that ice conditions can change quickly,” Sgt. Bill Chandler, of the Maine Warden Service, told the Daily News. “This section of the lake, where the Moose River flows into Moosehead Lake, always has poor ice, and that is why there are marked trails on the lake so that snowmobilers can avoid the bad ice in this area.”