ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
88°
Chance of T-storms
H 88° L 71°
  • cloudy-day
    88°
    Current Conditions
    Chance of T-storms. H 88° L 71°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    88°
    Today
    Chance of T-storms. H 88° L 71°
  • cloudy-day
    88°
    Tomorrow
    Partly Cloudy. H 88° L 73°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

National
Raiders' Marshawn Lynch sits for U.S. national anthem, stands for Mexico's
Close

Raiders' Marshawn Lynch sits for U.S. national anthem, stands for Mexico's

Marshawn Lynch Wears Anti-Trump T-Shirt

Raiders' Marshawn Lynch sits for U.S. national anthem, stands for Mexico's

Star NFL running back Marshawn Lynch of the Oakland Raiders was spotted sitting on the sidelines as the U.S. national anthem played before a Sunday afternoon game in Mexico against the New England Patriots.

>> Read more trending news

Lynch appeared to take his demonstration a step further by standing during the Mexican national anthem, according to reporters at the game:

Some social media users responded, claiming that this was “false news" and that Lynch was sitting because his equipment was being worked on.

According to Sports Illustrated, it’s not the first time Lynch chose to sit during the anthem. In fact, he’s been doing it all season.

 The Bleacher Report said over the summer that Lynch claimed he had been sitting during the anthem for 11 years, and his coach, Jack Del Rio, responded to that by saying, “It’s a non-issue for me.”

“On Marshawn, talked to Marshawn trying to make sure we’re on the same page,” Del Rio said. “He said, ‘This is something I’ve done for 11 years. It’s not a form of anything other than me being myself.’ I said, ‘So you understand how I feel, I very strongly believe in standing for the national anthem. But I’m going to respect you as a man, you do your thing. We’ll do ours.’ It’s a non-issue for me.”

Earlier on Sunday, Rare covered a retired NFL running back who strongly disagrees with the protests occurring during the national anthem.

Former NFL stand-out Herschel Walker blamed NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for allowing protests during the national anthem to become routine occurrences during the 2017 season and potentially beyond.

Walker said that he finds the protests “upsetting” and that they should have been stopped when they started.

Close

Raiders' Marshawn Lynch sits for U.S. national anthem, stands for Mexico's

“I absolutely think the protests are so upsetting, and I blame the commissioner,” he said, according to the New York Post. “I know people are going to be angry when I say it, but he should have stopped the protests at the very beginning.”

Walker said that if people want to protest they should do so in Washington, D.C.

“Our flag is very special, and black lives matter, but what we should do is go to Washington after the season and protest there instead. We have young men and women fighting for the flag. And we have to respect the White House,” he added.

Previously, Walker said that the NFL should make a rule that says players can only protest while “off the job.”

>> On Rare.us: NFL players take a knee on Veterans Day weekend

“I do, I think it means making a league-wide rule that if you want to protest, protest off the job. One of the things I want to say about the protests, where was everyone before the season started?” he asked. “I didn’t see anyone protesting in front of the White House, protesting in front of Congress or protesting in front of police officers. Why did we wait until football season started to start this again?”

Close

Raiders' Marshawn Lynch sits for U.S. national anthem, stands for Mexico's

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

News

  • Police are investigating a domestic-related shooting in the city of South Fulton County. The victim told police that her ex-boyfriend came to her home on Montilly Place and kicked down her front door. According to investigators, she repeatedly warned him that she was armed and that she would shoot him. Police said the man continued into the house and the woman fired three shots, hitting him once in the chest. The man was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital in unknown condition.   We're working to learn of other times police have been called to the home on Channel 2 Action News at Noon TRENDING STORIES: Judge credits divine intervention with helping him find missing child floating in pool 25-year-old UGA grad missing after leaving work at metro Atlanta Publix Copperhead bites home buyer then tries to strike pregnant realtor Channel 2's Darryn Moore at the scene saw crime scene technicians taking pictures of a bullet hole in a window and recovered a round that hit a pole. She also collected a bag of evidence from the house.
  • Four people were injured Thursday morning after an apparent explosion and subsequent fire at the Letterkenny Army Depot in Pennsylvania, officials said. >> Read more trending news Update 11 a.m. EDT July 19: Letterkenny Army Depot Commander Col. Steven Ledbetter said a small explosion happened around 7:20 a.m. in a paint area at one of the depot’s production facilities. “In this particular production facility, it’s vehicles and some major end-items (and) large pieces of equipment,” Ledbetter said. “No munitions.” He said four people were taken to hospitals with injuries after the incident. Authorities do not believe the blast was connected to terrorism. Officials continued to investigate the cause of the explosion on Thursday. Update 10:20 a.m. EDT July 19: Col. Steven Ledbetter, the commander at Letterkenny Army Depot, told WPMT that a small explosion and fire Thursday morning left four people injured. Three people were flown to a Maryland hospital in serious condition, the news station reported. A fourth person was taken to Chambersburg Hospital with unknown injuries, according to WPMT. Original report: Authorities at Letterkenny Army Depot confirmed in a series of since-deleted Facebook posts Thursday morning that an explosion was reported at the depot. The incident happened around 7:15 a.m., according to WPMT. Officials with the volunteer Franklin Fire Company said three people were flown from Letterkenny after firefighters responded Thursday morning to an “explosion with burn victims.” The Franklin County Office of Emergency Management also told Fox News three people were flown from the Army depot after the blast. It was not immediately clear what caused the explosion. A spokesman for Letterkenny Army Depot told WHTM-TV that authorities do not believe the blast was the result of a terrorist attack. Employees told the news station that the explosion happened in an area of Building 350 used for painting and that they were “worried about peers who ran out of (the) building screaming (and) on fire.” Established in 1942, the 18,000-acre Letterkenny Army Depot employs more than 3,600 people in Franklin County. Its mission is to “deliver superior maintenance, manufacturing, logistics, life cycle support and service worldwide to the Joint Warfighter and our International partners.”
  • The home featured in the opening and closing scenes of 'The Brady Bunch' is for sale for $1.885 million. Records show George and Violet McCallister bought the two-bedroom, three-bathroom split-level home in the Studio City neighborhood of Los Angeles in 1973 for $61,000. Real estate agent Ernie Carswell tells the Los Angeles Times the house has been updated and upgraded, but the interior layout does not resemble what was featured on the show, which ran from 1969 to 1974. Interior scenes were shot in a studio. Carswell says a rock-wall fireplace, wood-paneled walls and floral wallpaper are vintage touches of what homes looked like in the 1970s. The agent says the home attracts 30 to 50 visitors a day. The owners died, and their children are selling the property. ___ Information from: Los Angeles Times, http://www.latimes.com/
  • A person familiar with the situation says the Atlanta Falcons won't renegotiate Julio Jones' contract this season, casting doubts on whether the star receiver will be in training camp next week. The Falcons informed Jones several weeks ago that they didn't have room under the salary cap to offer him a new deal for this season, according to the person, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Thursday because the contract talks have not been made public. Jones dipped on the NFL's list of highest-paid receivers during the offseason when several players received huge new contracts, including Tampa Bay's Mike Evans and Cleveland's Jarvis Landry. Jones is set to make $10.5 million this season, $12.5 million in 2019 and $11.4 million in the final season of a six-year, $71.3 million contract he signed in 2015. The current deal includes $47 million in guaranteed money. Atlanta's decision not to renegotiate Jones' contract was first reported by The Athletic. ___ For more AP NFL coverage: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP_NFL
  • A 16-year-old girl was struck by a vehicle driven by her sister Wednesday night in Pittsburgh’s Fineview neighborhood, authorities said. >> Read more trending news The girl jumped on the hood of the moving vehicle, fell off and was hit shortly after 10 p.m. on Belleau Drive, according to investigators. Police said the teenager was taken to a hospital in critical condition. She was later upgraded to serious condition. As the girl was being taken to the hospital, a crowd started gathering and people were separated by officers because they were about to fight, according to a criminal complaint. Officers then attempted to talk with the driver, 23-year-old Breyanna Fields. She was uncooperative and was handcuffed, police said. Fields kicked two officers and pushed a third, the complaint said. She tried to bite another officer. Witnesses told police Fields was seen speeding up and down the street before the 16-year-old was hit, and the car was moved before police arrived, the complaint said. Charges against Fields include driving under the influence, aggravated assault, resisting arrest and driving while operating privilege is suspended or revoked.
  • A man was arrested Thursday just hours after a fatal shooting at the Best Southern Sun Plaza Motel on South Ridgewood Avenue, police said. Police said they arrested Marcus Pinckney, 40, in connection with the shooting. He was found in an Ormond Beach hotel, police said. >> Read more trending news The shooting happened at about 3 a.m. at the Best Southern Sun Plaza Motel. A 57-year-old man died at the scene and two other men were injured. The survivors were taken to Halifax Medical Center, where they are in stable condition, officials said. “This is an Isolated incident. Suspects and victims all knew each other,” Daytona Beach Police Chief Craig Capri said during a news conference. “His targets were intended targets. Almost like an execution, if you want to call it (that).”  Police said the shooting started in the parking lot of the motel, where there was likely a feud with the gunman about a deal gone badly.  “The deceased male and one of the injured males are father and son. The third male may be partially blind,” police said in a news release. Witnesses told officers they looked outside when they heard gunshots, police said. Capri said there have been some narcotics complaints at the motel. The manager showed WFTV reporter Sarahbeth Ackerman surveillance video of the incident. The video shows a man getting out of a silver Honda and opening fire on three other men. Police said Pinckney kidnapped his girlfriend, who was in the car at the time of the shooting. She was able to later escape, officers said. Officers received several tips that Pinckney was at the Ormond Beach motel. They found him armed with a gun at the hotel with his ex-girlfriend, police said. “He got right into the hands of the police,” a police spokesperson said. Police said when Pinckney was arrested, he asked officers, “They aren’t dead?” in reference to the victims. The motel’s manager, Charles Urban, said the three men had been living there for 2 1/2 years and knew the shooter. Urban said they had caused problems at the motel before. “Nothing like this. It's just that there's a lot of traffic coming in and out. You'd have to live here to understand, but there's a lot of homeless people. There's a lot of prostitutes, and they seem to always gravitate to (room) No. 4,' Urban said. Pinckney was arrested on charges of first-degree murder, two counts of attempted murder, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and a slew of other charges, police said. Court records show Pinckney has prior arrests on charges of battery and drugs. The names of victims have not been released.