Broken Clouds
H 94° L 75°
  • cloudy-day
    Current Conditions
    Broken Clouds. H 94° L 75°
  • cloudy-day
    Partly Cloudy. H 94° L 75°
  • clear-day
    Sunny. H 94° L 75°

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Pets presumed dead, passengers and crew accounted for after 737 skids off runway into Florida river

Pets presumed dead, passengers and crew accounted for after 737 skids off runway into Florida river

Boeing 737 With 136 Passengers Skids Off Runway Into Florida River

Pets presumed dead, passengers and crew accounted for after 737 skids off runway into Florida river

A 737 with more than 100 people on board overshot the runway at NAS Jacksonville and crashed into the St. Johns River late Friday evening. There were 136 passengers and seven crew members aboard the Miami Air aircraft, and all were safe and accounted for, officials said.

>> Read more trending news 

Update 12:20 p.m. EDT May 5: T he National Transportation Safety Board said the plane’s flight data recorder is on its way to Washington, D.C., and was not damaged.    Investigators expect to get information about the plane’s speed, altitude, point of impact and other details about the incident.

The NTSB is still working on formal interviews with flight crew and anticipates conducting those Sunday. The investigation will also looking at the pilot’s experience.

Officials said that human life was their first priority after the crash, but there were multiple attempts to check for crates. Naval Air Station Jacksonville said that crews checked the cargo bay for pets but did not see or hear animals or crates in that initial response. 

Related: Rescuers tried to get pets of submerged airplane several times, commanding officer says

Kaylee LaRocque, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Navy in Jacksonville, confirmed to USA Today that each of the at least four pets checked into the luggage department are presumed dead.

“There’s water in the cargo hold," LaRocque said. “We are so sad about this situation, that there are animals that unfortunately passed away."

Update 6:30 p.m. EDT May 4: In a press briefing Saturday afternoon, National Transportation Safety Board Vice Chairman Bruce Landsberg said that the 737-800 overran runway 10 and it had no history of accidents or incidents. 

Landsberg said that the NTSB is now looking into the aircraft, captain’s background and experience as well as the weather conditions and if runway condition affected crash landing.

Miami Air had an incident in 2005 with a different aircraft that made a hard landing in Pennsylvania. 

Update 2:30 p.m. EDT May 4: Officials with the National Transportation Safety Board have made it to the site of the crash. A 16-person Go Team is currently investigating, NTSB Vice Chairman Bruce Landsberg told reporters in a brief press conference.

Another press conference will be held at a time to be announced on the Twitter page, @NTSB_Newsroom.

Update 8:27 a.m. EDT May 4: Capt. Michael Connor, the commanding officer at the Jacksonville Naval Air Station, told CNN he expected officials from the National Transportation Safety Board to arrive in Florida between 9 a.m. and 10 a.m. to inspect the plane that skidded off Runway 10 and into the St. Johns River.

Connor said the plane landed on the longer of the two runways at the airport. Runway 10 is 9,000 feet long, he told CNN, and there was 8,000 feet of landing distance. He said that heavy thunderstorms in the area could have impacted the plane’s attempted landing.

“Under normal conditions there is plenty of runway,” Connor told CNN.

Update 7:34 a.m. EDT May 4: Officials with the Jacksonville Naval Air Station said they are hoping to board the plane that skidded off the runway this morning to retrieve pets still on the aircraft, WJAX reported in a tweet. There was no indication of how many pets were on the plane and what their conditions were.

Update 5:50 a.m. EDT May 4: A woman who was a passenger on the plane that skidded off a Jacksonville runway into the St. Johns River told CNN the landing “didn’t feel right.”

Cheryl Bormann, a civil defense attorney said passengers were confused and afraid as the Boeing 737 aircraft slid off the runway at the Jacksonville Naval Air Station.

"The plane ... literally hit the ground and then it bounced,” Bormann told CNN. “It was clear that the pilot did not have complete control of the plane because it bounced some more, it swerved and tilted left and right," she said. "The pilot was trying to control it but couldn't, and then all of a sudden it smashed into something."

Update 2:08 a.m. EDT May 4: Tom Francis, a spokesman with the Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department, said he was relieved to hear there were no critical injuries.

“To say that I was wiping sweat off my brow would be, of course, an understatement,” Francis said at a news conference early Saturday.

Francis, a 30-year veteran firefighter, was asked if he had ever remembered an incident of this magnitude in the Jacksonville area.

“Well, obviously, if I could remember something like that, that would make Jacksonville something along the lines of a city prone to an attack from Godzilla and from other science fiction components, and Hollywood scenarios,” Francis told reporters. “Because no, obviously, I don’t.

“(In) 30 years on the job, (other events) don’t compare to to something of this magnitude when it comes to the lives and the souls, etc.. that are potentially involved.”

Francis would not characterize the lack of fatalities as a miracle, however.

“Oh, I don’t take that kind of approach to anything, I’m more of a secular kind of guy,” he told reporters.

Update 12:45 a.m. EDT May 4: NAS Jacksonville issued a statement confirming there were 136 passengers and seven crew members aboard the Boeing 737 aircraft. There were minor injuries reported and several people were treated at the scene. There were no fatalities.

Update 12:40 a.m. EDT May 4: The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office tweeted that 21 people were taken to local hospitals.


Update 12:10 a.m. EDT May 4: Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry posted on Twitter that teams were working to control jet fuel in the water.


Update 11 p.m. EDT May 3: The Federal Aviation Administration told WJAX-TV that the Boeing 737-800, a military contract flight operated by Miami Air International from Guantanamo Bay Naval Base, skidded off the runway. The nose is in the mud of the river. 

There are at least two minor injuries.

The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office Marine Unit responded to the partially submerged aircraft. 


The mayor of Jacksonville also confirmed the incident on Twitter:


Read More


  • Authorities in Michigan are searching for a 2-year-old girl who reportedly vanished from an Oscoda County campsite Monday morning. >> Read more trending news According to the Oscoda County Sheriff's Office, family members of Gabriella Vitale, 2, of the Monroe area, 'lost track' of the girl as they were getting ready to leave the campsite near state Highway 33 and Reber Road. They reported her missing about 8:15 a.m., authorities said. By late Monday, search crews, including deputies, state troopers, police dogs, a police helicopter and Michigan Department of Natural Resources officers, had not found the child, authorities said. Gabriella was wearing a pink zip-up coat, a gray shirt, pink bottoms and tennis shoes when she disappeared, the Sheriff's Office said. Authorities later found the coat 'several hundred yards southeast of where she went missing,' Michigan State Police said. Gabriella 'may have autism,' WWTV reported. If you have any information about Gabriella's whereabouts, call 989-826-3214. Read more here or here.
  • A Tennessee man was indicted on first-degree murder charges after his girlfriend’s 2-year-old son was taken to the hospital and later died. >> Read more news stories Alan Johnson, 41, of Memphis, was taking care of the child while his mother was at work on Oct. 10, 2018, according to officials. He told investigators he was throwing the 2-year-old up in the air and catching him, but the boy slipped on the last throw, authorities said. According to investigators, Johnson said he swung the child – identified as Dylan Meeks – to “keep him from hitting the ground.” He said he saw the boy’s neck go back and noticed he was not responding, so he called police, authorities said. The child died two days later. The staff at Le Bonheur Children's Hospital told police that the injuries, which included a skull fracture, brain swelling, internal injuries and rib fractures, were not consistent with Johnson's story. The medical examiner found new and healing fractures of the child's ribs and also lacerations of several organs.  Johnson was later charged with murder. He was indicted Monday on charges of first-degree murder in the perpetration of aggravated child abuse and neglect. Johnson is being held without bond in the Shelby County Jail.
  • Police have apprehended a Pennsylvania man wanted on charges related to the death of his girlfriend's infant daughter, authorities said.  >> Read more trending news Pennsylvania State Police confirmed that Derrick Bass, 29, was arrested in Ohio on Monday, two days after the 11-month-old was found dead in a Pack ‘n Play at an apartment complex in East Huntingdon Township, Pennsylvania. He has been charged with homicide. The baby’s mother told police that Bass was supposed to be watching her daughter and his two children. He also was supposed to pick her up from work, but never showed up, she told police. When the girl’s mother got home, she noticed her daughter and various electronic items were missing, according to a complaint. She called police shortly after 11 p.m. Police responded to the apartment shortly after 12:30 a.m. after the mother reported finding her daughter unresponsive in the Pack ‘n Play, the complaint said. She did not see her until that time because the baby was covered in blankets, according to the complaint. Family identified the girl as 11-month-old Niomie Miller. An autopsy was conducted Sunday morning, and the preliminary cause of death was determined to be drowning, authorities said.
  • An electric company worker in eastern Kentucky took every precaution recently as he prepared to head out to a job untangling a tree from a power line, but little did he know there was no way to prepare for what was about to happen to him.  >> Read more trending news  Chris Prater told WYMT-TV that he sprayed himself down with insect repellent and joined his crew for the task ahead. After finishing the job, he said his eye bothered him. “I noticed I just started having irritation in my eye,” Prater said. He said he flushed his eye out several times and had a co-worker take a look, yet a spot he noticed didn’t move, WYMT reported. Prater was hesitant to go to a doctor, but finally made an appointment with an optometrist. 'When the doctor finally comes in, he was looking at it. He said, 'I know what's in your eye.'' Prater said he was stunned when the doctor explained what he had found. “He said, ‘It's a tick.’ That's when I got scared a little bit,” Prater told the news station. “I leaned around and looked at him and I asked him if he was joking and he said, ‘No, you have a deer tick or some type of tick.’ It was very little.” The doctor numbed Prater’s eye and used a pair of tweezers to extract the tick. “Once he grabbed ahold of it and pulled it off, the tick made a, like, a little popping sound when it came off of my eye,” Prater said. Luckily there was no lasting damage to his eye, but Prater wanted to warn others about the importance of using insect repellent, even though he knows that wouldn’t have helped his eye.
  • New York authorities are investigating the death of a 3-year-old boy who fell into a grease trap Monday morning in Rochester and died. >> Read more trending news  The tragedy happened behind a Tim Hortons restaurant around 11 a.m., according to WROC-TV. A witness found the boy, pulled him out of the pit and administered CPR but the boy died a short time later at a local hospital. “It’s a horrible, tragic accident,” police investigator Frank Camp told WROC.  There was no fencing around the trap and it was “flush with the ground,” Camp said.  The trap was covered with a green plastic lid and it blended in with the surrounding grass, Camp told CNN. “The lid was on there. It looks like the child ran across it and it popped open and he fell into the trap,” Camp said. The pit is 2.5-feet in diameter, and the city was called in to pour concrete around the trap and replace the plastic lid with a metal one. Right Now: A crew is working to secure a grease trap at Tim Hortons on University Avenue. This is following a tragic accident earlier today. A 3-year-old boy has died after falling into this grease trap. Police attempts were made to save him but were unsuccessful. @SPECNewsROC pic.twitter.com/fubViueURN — Natasha Acrie (@NatashaAcrieTV) July 15, 2019 “We have a horrifying episode here that happened today,” Camp said, according to CNN. “We're asked all the time, ‘What's the worst thing you encounter as a police officer?’ and this is No. 1.” It’s unclear how the child, who was not publicly identified, wandered behind the restaurant. The medical examiner will issue an official cause of death in the next few weeks “We have a horrifying episode here that happened today,” Camp said, according to CNN. “We're asked all the time, ‘What's the worst thing you encounter as a police officer?’ and this is No. 1.” It’s unclear how the child, who was not publicly identified, wandered behind the restaurant. The medical examiner will issue an official cause of death in the next few weeks.
  • A biologist diving off the English coast over the weekend had a stunning and rare encounter with a jellyfish so large, it was easily the size of a grown man. >> Read more trending news  Researcher and broadcaster Lizzie Daly described the encounter as “breathtaking,” according to CNN. “What an unforgettable experience,” said Daly, who was diving as part of her Wild Ocean Week campaign to raise awareness and money for the United Kingdom’s Marine Conservation Society. “I know barrel jellyfish get really big in size but I have never seen anything like it before!” she said.She was diving off the coast of Falmouth, where she and her diving partner spotted the massive jellyfish. “It really humbles you to be alongside an animal that size,” Daly told Vice News. “It’s an experience we’ll never forget.”  Barrel jellyfish inhabit the British seas and are the largest species of jellyfish in U.K. waters, CNN reported. They can grow larger than three feet and weigh more than 55 pounds.