ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
80°
Partly Cloudy
H -° L 74°
  • cloudy-day
    80°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H -° L 74°
  • cloudy-day
    Today
    Partly Cloudy. H -° L 74°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    90°
    Tomorrow
    Partly Cloudy T-storms. H 90° L 73°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

National
Philadelphia police shooting: Suspected gunman 'should not have been on the streets,' DA says
Close

Philadelphia police shooting: Suspected gunman 'should not have been on the streets,' DA says

WATCH: Police officers shot in Philadelphia

Philadelphia police shooting: Suspected gunman 'should not have been on the streets,' DA says

A gunman opened fire on police Wednesday as they were serving a drug warrant in a Philadelphia neighborhood, wounding six officers and triggering a standoff that extended into the evening, authorities said.

>> Read more trending news 

Police arrested Maurice Hill, 36, just after midnight.

Here are the latest updates:

Update 2:10 p.m. EDT Aug. 15: Authorities are holding a news conference Thursday afternoon to provide updates on the investigation into the hourslong standoff one day earlier that left six police officers injured.

Update 1 p.m. EDT Aug. 15: Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner told reporters Thursday that Hill fired more than 100 rounds during an hourslong standoff one day earlier. Six police officers were injured before he surrendered, authorities said.

Krasner said Hill had yet to be charged Thursday afternoon, but that he will face "more than enough charges, so Mr. Maurice Hill may never exit jail."

Update 12:30 p.m. EDT Aug. 15: Authorities are holding a news conference Thursday to update the public on Wednesday's officer-involved shooting and standoff.

Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner said the suspected gunman, identified as Hill, "should not have been on the streets," but he added that authorities had no "crystal ball" to predict his behavior.

Krasner said Hill has an extensive criminal history, including having faced drug, gun and robbery charges.

Update 7:23 a.m. EDT Aug. 15: More information has been released about the man who is accused of shooting six police officers in Philadelphia Wednesday. 

Police identified the man as 34-year-old Maurice Hill, WTXF reported

After Hill surrendered he was taken to temple University Hospital where he was treated and released to police, WCAU reported.

Hill has a long criminal history with at least a dozen arrests since he turned 18. He was convicted in 2002 on charges including illegal possession of guns and aggravated assault, according to WTXF.

In 2013, he was convicted of perjury and sentenced to seven months' probation, WTXF reported.

The charges Hill faces after Wednesday's standoff and shooting have not been released.

However, his attorney, Shaka Johnson, told WCAU that his client will probably face six counts of attempted murder and aggravated assault charges.

 

The standoff has spurred Philadelphia's mayor to speak out against gun violence in the country. 

"It's aggravating. It's saddening," Mayor Jim Kenney said during a news conference according to WCAU. "It's just something we need to do something about. And if the state and federal government doesn't want to stand up to the NRA and some other folks, then let us police ourselves. But they preempt us on all kinds of gun control legislation." 

Kenny added, "They (the police) don't deserve to be shot at by a guy for four hours with an unlimited supply of weapons and an unlimited supply of bullets. It's disgusting, and we've got to do something about it. And we need to do something about it quickly."

Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf had been scheduled to sign an executive order Thursday to reduce gun violence. But the signing has been postponed to a later, undetermined date, WCAU reported.

Update 12:18 a.m. EDT Aug. 15: The gunman is now in custody following a standoff that lasted for hours, Philadelphia police said. Video from the scene showed a suspect with his hands up. 

Update 11 p.m. EDT Aug. 14: Police say all six officers wounded by gunfire from a man who has barricaded himself inside a north Philadelphia building have been released from the hospital.

Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross says "it's nothing short of a miracle that we don't have multiple officers killed today."

Update 9:45 p.m. EDT Aug. 14: Police say two officers who were in a building with a gunman barricaded inside a northern Philadelphia home have been “safely evacuated” by a police SWAT team.

Sgt. Eric Gripp said shortly after 9:30 p.m. that the suspect was “still armed and inside” the house.

There was no immediate word on how the officers were freed. 

Update 9 p.m. EDT Aug. 14: Police say an hourslong standoff with a gunman barricaded inside a northern Philadelphia home is continuing into the night as the shooter ignores officers.

Commissioner Richard Ross said during a Wednesday night news conference the "very volatile" situation is still unfolding.

Ross said officers were serving a narcotics warrant at the home and had already entered when gunfire erupted. Ross said the gunman fired multiple rounds and officers returned fire. He said many "had to escape through windows and doors to get (away) from a barrage of bullets."

Two officers remained inside the home, but Ross says he believes they are OK.

Ross said officers have been calling the gunman and he has picked up but did not speak to them.

Update 8 p.m. EDT Aug. 14: Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross said that he believes the suspect is still alive because he is still firing in a press briefing Wednesday evening. 

Update 7:25 p.m. EDT Aug. 14: Police are attempting to communicate with the suspect.

Original report:  According to WTXF-TV, two police officers are barricaded in the home with the shooter. 

Sgt. Eric Gripp tweeted that the suspect is still firing. He also said that all six officers who were shot are at area hospitals with non life threatening injuries.

Video shows a massive police presence in a neighborhood with dozens of police cars and officers, many of them with their guns drawn.

One police officer was injured in a crash while responding to the incident, according to WTXF-TV.

Gunshots are continuing to be heard late Wednesday afternoon.

It is unknown if the suspected shooter has been apprehended.
Please check back for updates.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Close

Philadelphia police shooting: At least 5 officers shot

Read More

News

  • A beloved giraffe at an Arizona wildlife park died from complications from previous 'anesthetic procedures,' officials said on social media. >> Read more trending news  'We are deeply heartbroken to announce farewell to our beloved friend Kibo,' officials with Out of Africa Wildlife Park in Campe Verde announced on Twitter. 'He touched thousands over 20 years at our park.' The 20-year-old giraffe died Tuesday, KNXV reported. In a Facebook post, the zoo said Kibo 'had a level of wit and curiosity that surpassed any other friends with which he shared his space.' The giraffe came to Out of Africa Wildlife Park in 1999, KNXV reported. 'He touched our hearts and reminded us to be silly and to laugh every day, especially when he would sit down in front of the entry gates,' zoo officials wrote on Facebook.
  • Twenty-two people were injured Thursday night in a light rail crash north of Sacramento, California, authorities said. >> Read more trending news  According to KOVR, officials are calling the crash a 'multi-casualty' incident. Sacramento Metro Fire spokesman Chris Vestal said there were multiple injuries and 'multiple medics' were at the scene, the television station reported. Officials with the Sacramento Fire Department said the crash occurred around 9:45 p.m., KCRA reported. At least five cars were on the tracks when the train derailed, according to the Sacramento Bee. Fire officials reported 22 injuries, the newspaper reported. Two had moderate injuries, and 20 were describe as 'walking wounded,' according to the Bee.
  • A convicted serial killer who admitted to killing six men in three states was executed Thursday night in Florida. >> Read more trending news  Update 1:30 a.m. EDT Aug. 23: Gary Ray Bowles, 57, was executed by lethal injection at 10:58 p.m. Thursday at the Florida State Prison, the office of Gov. Ron DeSantis announced. Bowles did not say anything before his execution, but wrote he was sorry in a handwritten statement dated Thursday, according to The Associated Press. 'I'm sorry for all the pain and suffering I have caused. I hope my death eases your pain,' Bowles wrote. 'I want to tell my mother that I am also sorry for my actions. Having to deal with your son being called a monster is terrible. I'm so very sorry. I never wanted this to be my life. You don't wake up one day and decide to become a serial killer.' Original report: Gary Ray Bowles, 57, is scheduled to die by lethal injection at 6 p.m. Thursday at the Florida State Prison in Raiford, barring a last-minute stay from the U.S. Supreme Court. Bowles began his eight-month killing spree on March 14, 1994, when he beat and strangled 59-year-old John Hardy Roberts in the victim's Daytona Beach home, the Ledger of Lakeland reported. On May 19, 1994, Bowles killed 37-year-old Albert Alice Morris in the same manner. With each of his Florida victims, Bowles befriended the men while working as a prostitute, according to the Daytona Beach News-Journal. He would then move in with the victims, who were gay men, and eventually kill them. Bowles also robbed the victims of their cars and credit cards. Tim Youngman, a retired homicide and crime scene investigator with the Daytona Police Department, told The Ledger that Bowles denied being gay himself, saying, 'I'm a hustler.' After the first two murders, Bowles killed two men in Georgia -- one in Savannah and one in Atlanta -- and another man in Wheaton, Maryland. He admitted to these killings but was never prosecuted for them, The News-Journal reported. Bowles' cross-country killings earned him the nickname the 'I-95 Killer.' The FBI began a manhunt for him in the summer of 1994 and added him to the Ten Most Wanted Fugitives list. While on the run, Bowles was profiled on 'America's Most Wanted' at least five times, according to The News-Journal. Bowles was arrested shortly after killing 42-year-old Walter Hinton on Nov. 20, 1994, in his Jacksonville home. Hinton was also beaten and strangled. “The manner in which he murdered Mr. Hinton was really outrageous, really heinous,” Jacksonville prosecutor Bernie de la Rionda told The News-Journal. Bowles was sentenced to die by a Jacksonville circuit judge in 1996. In August 1998, the Florida Supreme Court overturned Bowles' death sentence, saying prosecutors were wrong to introduce evidence of Bowles' homophobia, The Ledger reported. However, in May 1999, jurors recommended a death sentence for Bowles. Bowles' execution will be the 99th in Florida since the U.S. Supreme Court reinstated the death penalty in 1976, WCJB-TV reported. Youngman said Bowles' execution is overdue. “He killed six people,” he said. “You can prove it, without a doubt. So why not? It’s time.”
  • Excitement is running high in northern Ohio as the Cleveland Browns prepare for the NFL regular season. For the first time in years, the Browns are being mentioned as possible playoff contenders, and a 2-0 mark in the preseason has ramped up expectations for the team reaching the playoffs for the first time since 2002. >> Read more trending news  One Browns fan is so confident about the Browns' chances, he got a tattoo Wednesday that proclaimed the team the Super Bowl LIV champions, WKYC reported. Ohio State student Garrett Howenstine, 20, a junior at Ohio State University, told the television station he got a tattoo on his right thigh predicting the Browns would be hoisting the Vince Lombardi Trophy on Feb 2 in Miami.  The tattoo features a Browns helmet with the words 'Superbowl Champs LIV' written underneath, WKYC reported. Howenstine has been getting grief online for not using the proper term, 'Super Bowl,' on his tattoo. Howenstine got the tattoo at Bodystain Tattoo & Body Piercing in Columbus. But here is the irony: Smitty, the tattoo artist who did the work, is a Pittsburgh Steelers fan, WEWS reported. Howenstine's tattoo may seem a bit premature, since the Browns have never been to the Super Bowl, but he is confident Baker Mayfield, Odell Beckham Jr. and Myles Garrett can bring glory to Cleveland this season. 'Most people either love it or hate it. The people that hate it let it go at the logo being old or the Super Bowl not being spaced out,' Howenstine told WEWS.
  • Indiana State Police troopers arrested a man Wednesday after a pursuit ended in the middle of a bean field. A farmer helped authorities reach the man when he gave police a lift in his four-wheel pickup truck, WXIN reported.  >> Read more trending news  Chad Decker, 45, of Terre Haute, was booked on a felony charge of resisting law enforcement in a vehicle and misdemeanor charges of operating while intoxicated, reckless driving, criminal mischief, refusal to identify himself and criminal trespass, according to the Tribune-Star of Terre Haute. According to the Indiana State Police, Trooper Andrew Mattern attempted to pull over an SUV in Vigo County, but the driver did not stop and continued driving for a mile, the newspaper reported. Once stopped, Mattern said he recognized Decker and noticed a strong odor of alcohol along with a partially empty bottle of Crown Royal in the passenger seat, WTTV reported. Decker did not exit his SUV when asked to do so and fled the scene, according to the Tribune-Star. Troopers said Decker drove his SUV through a gas station lot and onto railroad tracks before turning into a bean field, where he got stuck. A farmer gave Mattern a ride in his truck to catch Decker, who was caught while running away from his vehicle, WRTV reported. Decker was arrested and booked into the Vigo County Jail, WXIN reported.
  • Joe Hurston has been flying for more than five decades. >> Read more trending news  As a chaplain with Air Mobile Ministries, he's helped in a number of search-and-rescue missions. 'We've actually found some people on the sea when all hope was lost,' Hurston said.  That's why Hurston said he couldn't sit this one out. As soon as he heard that Brian McCluney and Justin Walker were missing after heading out into the Atlantic Ocean on a fishing trip, he made some phone calls. By chance, he reached Natasha Walker, Justin Walker's wife, and joined the search. On Thursday, WJAX-TV went up with Hurston to see the search efforts firsthand.  Despite news that the U.S. Coast Guard will suspend the active search Thursday night, Hurston said Walker's family remains hopeful. 'Like anything, they're on waves. They have good moments. They have bad moments. They have moments of doubt. We all do, and then we have moments of, 'Let's go find them,'' Hurston said.  The pilot remembers one mission where six men were lost out in the sea. When everyone else had given up, something told Hurston they were still out there. 'I immediately got my little crew together, put them in an airplane, took off, turn 90 degrees from where everybody had been searching for days, flew straight to them in four minutes,' he said.  It's now day seven of the search for Walker and McCluney. Hurston believes the men are out there somewhere, and he's not losing hope. 'I've seen some real miracles, and that's what we need right now. We just need a miracle,' Hurston said.  Hurston said he'll head to North Carolina and help search the Gulf Stream for any signs of the two firefighters.