ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
88°
Partly Cloudy
H 87° L 66°
  • cloudy-day
    88°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 87° L 66°
  • cloudy-day
    87°
    Today
    Partly Cloudy. H 87° L 66°
  • cloudy-day
    82°
    Tomorrow
    Partly Cloudy. H 82° L 60°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

National
Missing New Mexico girl Renezmae Calzada found dead after 3-day search, police say
Close

Missing New Mexico girl Renezmae Calzada found dead after 3-day search, police say

Police: Missing girl Renezmae Calzada found dead after 3-day search

Missing New Mexico girl Renezmae Calzada found dead after 3-day search, police say

A New Mexico girl who had been missing since Sunday morning was found dead Wednesday, authorities said.

>> Read more trending news 

According to KOB-TV, search crews discovered the body of Renezmae Calzada about noon in the Rio Grande, a Federal Bureau of Investigation spokesman said. She was 5 years old. 

Renezmae had been in the front yard of her Espanola home before she disappeared sometime after 9:30 a.m. Sunday, authorities said earlier this week. The girl's mother, Victoria Maestas, reported her missing about 10 hours later, the Albuquerque Journal reported.

"Malcolm Torres is the father," a 911 dispatch report read, according to the Rio Grande Sun. "Father hasn't reported the child missing and thought the (mother's) family picked her up."

In an Amber Alert issued Sunday night, the Rio Arriba County Sheriff's Office described Renezmae as a 4-foot-tall Hispanic girl with brown eyes and black hair. The child, who weighed about 35 pounds, was wearing a Disney "Frozen" shirt and blue shorts before she disappeared, authorities said.

Deputies detained Torres, 25, on unrelated warrants but claimed Tuesday that he isn't considered to be a suspect in the case, Albuquerque Journal reported. He remained in jail Wednesday but is not currently facing any charges related to the girl's disappearance or death, according to the newspaper.

Authorities declined to answer questions about possible suspects at a Wednesday news conference.

The Journal reported that police responded to a report of a domestic dispute involving Torres and Maestas, who also have a son together, last October. Authorities arrested Torres but later dropped the charges against him.

According to court documents, Maestas recently filed for custody, the Journal reported. The couple had been slated to appear at a November court hearing over child support, the newspaper said.

Read More

News

  • A 13-year-old boy suffered injuries when he was struck Wednesday morning by a car in South Carolina while he was walking his little sister to a bus stop, police said. >> Read more trending news  Police said the incident happened after dispatchers started to get calls around 7 a.m. about a Chrysler PT Cruiser and a silver sedan that appeared to be involved in a road rage situation near the intersection of Rutherford Road and Wade Hampton Boulevard in Greenville. Police said near the intersection of North Pleasantburg Drive and Mallory Road, the driver of the PT Cruiser lost control and drove onto the sidewalk, striking the 13-year-old. The boy was thrown into the roadway, officials said. His sister was not injured. Authorities said the boy was conscious after the incident. He was taken to a medical facility for evaluation and treatment of his injuries. His condition was not immediately known. The driver of the PT Cruiser was taken to a medical facility with injuries that did not appear to be life-threatening. The driver of the other vehicle involved in the suspected road rage incident left the scene before authorities arrived. Authorities continued work Wednesday to identify the driver. The collision also damaged power lines, causing an outage, police said.
  • A police officer in western Pennsylvania is facing charges that he used his position to have unwanted sexual contact with a woman, state Attorney General Josh Shapiro announced Wednesday. >> Read more trending news  The incident in which Dustin Devault, 47, is accused happened while he served as an officer in Monongahela, officials said. He now works as a part-time officer with the Forward Township Police Department and as a police officer for Highmark. Authorities said the sexual assault is alleged to have happened in a police vehicle while Devault was on duty. Devault allegedly first met the woman in the summer of 2018 during a traffic stop, a grand jury found. The two met and texted several times afterward. The woman told authorities it was her understanding that Devault was going to help her become a police officer and seek treatment for a loved one who was suffering from substance use, according to investigators. On one occasion that the two met, Devault allegedly showed up in full uniform in an unmarked car. While in the car, the woman claims Devault inappropriately touched her several times and repeatedly asked her to have sex with him. 'When you are in that situation, you just freeze. You don't know what to do. He has a gun on him. He is a police officer. And I'm just a female. I just wanted to survive that moment,' the woman said during her testimony to the grand jury. The grand jury found Devault lied to his superiors in the Monongahela Police Department -- where he was removed from his position -- about his interactions with the woman and encouraged a co-worker to also lie. Devault is charged with indecent assault, official oppression and obstructing the administration of law or other governmental functions.
  • A Maine fisherman was stunned Tuesday when he pulled in his fresh catch of lobster from York Harbor. >> Read more trending news  Josh O’Brien told WSCH-TV he found a baby claw growing out of a lobster’s normal claw. “Out of all the thousands of lobsters we catch every week and everything we've caught so far this year, this is only the second of its kind we've seen,” O'Brien said.  The lobsterman cautioned against allowing the unusual growth to turn stomachs, telling WSCH the lobster is fine to eat.  “It's neat to see something like this out of the ordinary and keeps things interesting on the boat.”
  • A Maine woman is accused of rubbing fentanyl residue on her 1-year-old daughter's gums to help her sleep, which caused the child's death nearly a year ago, according to court documents. >> Read more trending news  Kimberly Nelligan, 33, of Bangor, was arrested Tuesday and charged with endangering the welfare of a child., the Bangor Daily News reported. Nelligan also faces a misdemeanor drug charge, WMTW reported. According to court documents, Nelligan had also used fentanyl on her older children. Nelligan called police Oct. 10, 2018, to report her baby was not breathing, the Daily News reported. First responders performed CPR on the child and took her to an area hospital, where she was pronounced dead, WCSH reported. According to detectives, the state medical examiner's office determined the cause of death was from probable toxic effects of fentanyl, WMTW reported. In a police affidavit, the baby’s father told detectives he had seen Nelligan rub the residue of the drug on her daughter’s gums about 15 times, the Daily News reported. Nelligan allegedly told the father she had done the same thing to her two older children when they were babies, according to the affidavit. She insisted she was not trying to injure the child. “You know I didn’t hurt our daughter on purpose,” Nelligan allegedly said to the father, according to the affidavit. Nelligan was taken to the Penobscot County Jail, WCSH reported. She is being held without bond, the television station reported.
  • The anti-gun violence group Sandy Hook Promise Foundation released a public service announcement Wednesday showing students using ordinary back-to-school items to protect themselves from an active shooter. The chilling video shows smiling children talking about their new school items until the scene switches to students using new shoes to run from a shooter, a boy using a new skateboard to bust out a window to escape gunfire, and, the most heart-wrenching, a girl hiding in the bathroom texting her mother that she loves her. >> Read more trending news  The Sandy Hook Promise Foundation, which has called for bans on weapons and the sale of large amounts of ammunition, grew out of the 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. Twenty-six people were shot and killed – 20 children and six adults. The foundation warned viewers that the video is disturbing and explained in a press release why they produced it. “So far this year there have been over 22 school shootings, and with students heading back to school, it seems sadly probable that we will see more incidents. This is unacceptable, given that we have proven tools to prevent these acts from occurring. We cannot accept school shootings as the new normal in our country,” the press release read. “Our goal with this PSA is to wake up parents to the horrible reality that our children endure. Gone are the days of viewing back-to-school as just a carefree time, when school violence has become so prevalent. However, if we come together to know the signs, this doesn’t have to be the case. I hope that parents across the country will join me to make the promise to stop this epidemic,” said Nicole Hockley, co-founder and managing director of Sandy Hook Promise, in the press release. Hockley’s son, Dylan, was killed in the Sandy Hook School shooting. The PSA is below. Warning: Some people may find the contents disturbing.
  • The cartoonist who brought you the boneless chicken ranch and Mount Stoogemore may be coming back. >> Read more trending news  Gary Larson, whose off-the-wall, one-panel cartoon strip 'The Far Side' produced laughs from 1980 to 1995, hinted as much on 'The Far Side' website. A cartoon drawn by Larson showed a man with a blowtorch thawing a block of ice that contained some of Larson's more familiar characters. Underneath the drawing is a message -- “Uncommon, unreal, and (soon-to-be) unfrozen. A new online era of 'The Far Side' is coming!” The website, dormant for years, has been maintained by syndicator Andrews McMeel Universal, according to The Oregonian. Larson, 69, created a cult following with his cartoons, The New York Times reported. The strip was syndicated in more than 1,900 newspapers, running from Jan, 1, 1980, to Jan. 1, 1995. The strip expanded to merchandising items like day-by-day calendars, coffee mugs, T-shirts and even greeting cards, the newspaper reported. 'The Far Side' brand was pulling in an estimated $500 million before Larson announced his retirement in October 1994, according to the Times. Comic strips began to fade near the end of the 20th century, coinciding with the decline of newspapers. Berke Breathed ended 'Bloom County' in 1989, and Bill Watterson stopped drawing 'Calvin & Hobbes' in 1995, The Oregonian reported. 'Peanuts' creator Charles M. Schultz's death in 2000 ended his iconic comic strip's 50-year-run, the newspaper reported. So, are slug vacation disasters making a comeback? Will bears, alligators, robins, saber-toothed tigers and other animals be returning to the comic universe?  Judging from 'The Far Side' website tease, that sense of the absurd could be returning.