On Air Now

Listen Now


Very Cold
H -° L 23°
  • clear-night
    Current Conditions
    Very Cold. H -° L 23°
  • very-cold-day
    Very Cold. H -° L 23°
  • clear-day
    Mostly Clear. H 49° L 33°

News on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Minnesota grandma sought in deaths of husband, Florida ‘lookalike’ killed for ID

Minnesota grandma sought in deaths of husband, Florida ‘lookalike’ killed for ID

Minnesota Grandma Sought In Deaths Of Florida ‘Lookalike’, Husband

Minnesota grandma sought in deaths of husband, Florida ‘lookalike’ killed for ID

A Minnesota woman has become the subject of a nationwide manhunt after allegedly killing her husband, as well as a Florida woman who investigators believe was killed for her identity.

Lois Ann Riess, 56, is shown on surveillance video in a Fort Myers brewery, chatting with a woman found dead four days later in a timeshare condominium where she was staying two blocks away. Lee County Undersheriff Carmine Marceno said during a Friday news conference that deputies went to the Fort Myers Beach condo on April 9 regarding a call for medical assistance.

They found Pamela Hutchinson, 59, who had been shot multiple times, Marceno said. Her purse was in disarray, with all identification, cash and credit cards stolen. 

Her car keys and her white Acura TL were also missing. 

“Further investigation revealed that Ms. Hutchinson was targeted by the suspect due to the similarities in their appearance,” Marceno said

Investigators fear that Riess could be running short on resources and could kill again to further fund her flight from capture, the Star Tribune in Minneapolis reported

“Riess’ mode of operation is to befriend women who resemble her and steal their identity,” Marceno said Friday. “U.S. marshals are actively involved in a national search for this dangerous fugitive.”

The Fort Myers News-Press reported that Hutchinson was in Fort Myers to help a friend mourn her husband. They were planning to spread his ashes in the Gulf of Mexico, the newspaper said.

Hutchinson’s last Facebook post was on April 4. In a post written the day before, she talked about how Fort Myers Beach was “hopping” and she thanked a friend for recommendations on local hangouts, saying she had a “fabulously good time.” She wrote that she could hear music from one bar at her condo, No. 404 at Marina Village at Snug Harbor. 

“Also got to see the sun rise and set,” Hutchinson wrote. 

Her posts indicated that she had decided to stay in Fort Myers Beach an extra day before heading home to Bradenton. 

The News-Press reported that surveillance video from the Smokin’ Oyster Brewery in Fort Myers shows Riess, wearing a light blue shirt, talking to a woman identified by investigators as Hutchinson. The video was shot around 5:40 p.m. on Thursday, April 5.

Surveillance images from Hutchinson’s condo complex also appear to show Riess there, wearing the same blue shirt, the Star Tribune reported. It was not immediately clear when those images were shot. 

A relative of Hutchinson’s said on the slain woman’s Facebook page that she and other relatives were supposed to meet Hutchinson at her Bradenton condo on April 7 to spend the weekend with her, but she never showed up. They learned from a neighbor that she was out of town, but did not know where she had gone or who she was staying with. 

Phone calls and texts to Hutchinson went unanswered, the relative said. 

It would be another two days before her body was found. A man staying at the condo complex told the News-Press that the building manager asked him for help getting the door of Hutchinson’s unit open because something appeared to be blocking it. 

She was trying to get inside because the water to some of the units was not working. 

They found Hutchinson’s body in the bathroom with a pile of towels, Troy Strohm said. It appeared that Hutchison, who had blood coming from an ear, had been dead for a few days. 

“As soon as you opened the door, it just smelled like a dead animal,” Strohm told the newspaper

Detectives who tied Riess to Hutchinson’s death learned that Riess was also a suspect in the Dodge County, Minnesota, death of her husband, David Riess. According to the Star Tribune, David Riess was found shot to death March 23 on the couple’s worm farm. 

Lois Riess became a suspect in the Florida homicide after investigators there found a white 2005 Cadillac Escalade she was believed to be driving after her husband’s slaying. 

“Our detectives have reviewed hundreds of hours of video and traveled throughout the state and collected hundreds of items for forensic examination, and have coordinated efforts with our state and federal agencies,” Marceno said. 

Riess has apparently fled southwest Florida and traveled through the southeast states to Texas. The most recent sighting put her in Corpus Christi, the undersheriff said. 

The fugitive is charged in Florida with murder, grand theft of a motor vehicle and grand theft and criminal use of personal identification, Marceno said. 

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, which has been searching for Riess since late last month, describes her as a white woman with brown eyes and pale blonde hair. She is about 5 feet 5 inches tall and weighs about 165 pounds. 

The white Acura she is accused of stealing from Hutchinson has Florida license plate number Y37TAA. 

Riess is known to frequent casinos, the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension reported. 

Marceno said Riess is considered armed and dangerous. Anyone who spots her should not approach her, but should call the nearest law enforcement agency. 

People with information on Riess’ whereabouts can also call Southwest Florida Crimestoppers at 800-780-TIPS. 

The Star Tribune reported that second-degree murder charges were expected to be filed this week against Riess, who lived with her husband in Blooming Prairie, a city of about 2,000 people 85 miles south of the Twin Cities. David Riess’ body was found after a business partner reported to police that he had been unable to reach him for a couple of weeks. 

Officers who went to Prairie Wax Worm Farms to conduct a welfare check found the 54-year-old with multiple gunshot wounds. It was not immediately known how long he was dead before his body was found. 

Dodge County Sheriff’s Office investigators were unable to find Lois Riess, but got a tip that she was at a casino just across the state line near Northwood, Iowa, the newspaper reported. When law enforcement officers arrived, they learned she had been there, but left before their arrival. 

After her husband’s death, Lois Riess is suspected of transferring nearly $10,000 from his business account to his personal account, then forging his signature on three checks totaling about $11,000. She has been charged with theft for the forgeries, the Star Tribune reported

David Riess’ obituary lists the couple as having three grown children and five grandchildren. 

Read More


  • A 6-year-old girl who was shot in a potential drive-by shooting Monday evening in Tennessee has died, according to Memphis police. The incident happened in the 6800 block of Kirby Mills Cove in Memphis' Hickory Hill neighborhood. Another child, a teenager, was also shot and was listed in critical condition, according to police. – Visit Fox13Memphis.com for the latest on this developing story.
  • A man who appeared in court on an out-of-county warrant may be connected to a decades-old sexual battery case involving dozens of women out of Miami-Dade, according to South Florida media reports. The Miami Herald is reporting that 60-year-old Robert Koehler is suspected of being the “Pillowcase Rapist,' from the early 1980s, the person accused of assaulting more than 40 women from South Miami to Deerfield Beach. The Miami-Dade County State Attorney’s Office would not confirm nor deny the Herald’s report. Related: Report: Florida police arrest man suspected of being ‘Pillowcase Rapist’ from 1980s Koehler appeared in Brevard County Court on Tuesday on charges in connection to a 1983 sexual assault and pleaded not guilty. Investigators were able to identify Koehler as a suspect after his son was arrested and his DNA was taken, which identified Robert Koehler as the likely offender in a 1983 sexual assault. Joseph Gauthier has been Koehler’s neighbor for almost 20 years. “He respected me, he helped me (with) things,” Gauthier said. “He always came over and said hello, petted my dog.” When Koehler moved to that Palm Bay neighborhood, he was a registered sex offender in connection with a 1990 case out of Palm Beach. Chris Skjerly, a neighbor, said he had “never heard” of the Pillowcase Rapist before seeing the allegations. “The stuff that’s coming out, that’s pretty crazy,” Skjerly said.
  • A former sheriff’s deputy in Washington who was fired for a fatal shooting has been rehired by new Snohomish County Sheriff Adam Fortney. Deputy Art Wallin shot and killed 24-year-old Nickolas Peters on Oct. 23, 2018. He was fired after a report found the shooting was “unjustified.” Wallin was reinstated as a deputy sheriff K-9 handler with the Snohomish County Sheriff on Jan. 17 – two weeks after the Peters family settled a federal civil rights lawsuit against the county for $1 million. Background Information on the shooting In the weeks after the fatal shooting, Peters’ girlfriend, Britt Jacobsen, spoke to KIRO-TV about the night Peters was killed. Jacobsen was a passenger in the vehicle when she says Peters refused to stop during a traffic stop. A deputy tried the pursuit intervention technique, or PIT maneuver, and eventually two deputies pinned in the truck so it couldn’t move. Jacobsen says a deputy stood on the hood of the F-150 truck and shined a light in on them. According to the search warrant, another deputy stood on the passenger side. She said the deputies ordered them to put their hands up and get out of the car. She said she and Peters put up their hands. She said she watched the deputy shoot Peters. Peters was rushed to Harborview Medical Center, where he died. Jacobsen, the daughter of a retired Seattle Police Department officer, told KIRO-TV in 2018 that she didn’t understand why a deputy would climb on the hood of the truck, making himself vulnerable. “(Nikolas) wasn’t a threat, we both weren’t a threat,” Jacobsen said. “I just cannot believe they took him away.” Report finds shooting was ‘unjustified’ In the fall, a report on the shooting was released and concluded that Wallin used excessive force. Wallin was fired by the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Department as a result of the report. Then-Sheriff Ty Trenary wrote a response to Wallin after the investigation was complete. In it, Trenary noted the inconsistencies and missteps Wallin took that led to his termination. Trenary wrote, “The use of deadly force is to be done with great reservations and using it here, when the events do not appear to have warranted it, is more than just a regrettable mistake, it is a loss that cannot be undone.” The Peters family spoke to KIRO-TV following the release of the report and said they knew all along there was no reason the 24-year-old should have been shot to death by Wallin. They Peters family explained that were appreciative of the department’s decision to fire Wallin, but said a thorough investigation and a vindicating report aren’t a time machine. “It doesn’t change what happened – Nick never gets to come back from this,” said his father, Mike Peters. The lawsuit and settlement Even before the final report was issued, the Peters and their attorney, Jeff Campiche, filed a civil rights wrongful death suit in U.S. District Court against Snohomish County and Wallin. “We need law enforcement that appreciates the value of human life and understands that when our young people commit a crime, they should be arrested and punished but they shouldn’t be killed,” Campiche said at the time. On Jan. 3, Peters’ family agreed to settle their federal civil rights lawsuit against Snohomish County for $1 million. “The firing of Deputy Wallin and this 7-figure settlement removes any question regarding the wrongfulness of Deputy Walling’s deadly shooting of the Peters’ son, Nickolas,” the family’s attorney, Jeffery Campiche, said in a news release after the settlement. Full Jan. 21 statement from Jeffery M. Campiche, attorney for the Peters family: 'The Peters family is disappointed and concerned by Sheriff Fortney’s reinstatement of Deputy Wallin, the deputy who shot and killed their son because his “spidey sense” told him that Nickolas had a gun (he did not). The family’s concern is that Deputy Wallin, has demonstrated a willingness to unnecessarily use deadly force in situations that don’t justify it. Specifically, the Investigative Report stated this: There is no statement, information or evidence to show that Nickolas Peters was known or believed to be armed with a firearm or deadly weapon at the time of the encounter, or that he displayed a weapon or threatened deadly force on the either deputy or his passenger. His vehicle was effectively pinned and disabled. 'Yet, Sheriff Forney’s decision to disregard his own office’s investigation and reinstate Deputy Wallin is a clear statement that the new sheriff intends to protect and enable deputies who use excessive force upon his constituents, whether justified or not. “Sheriff Forney’s decision to give a gun and badge (and a salary) back to an unstable officer who has demonstrated his willingness use unnecessary deadly force on citizens should be reconsidered.” Full Jan. 21 statement from new Snohomish County Sheriff Adam Fortney: 'Last Friday, I reinstated Deputy Arthur Wallin to full commissioned status as a Deputy Sheriff K-9 handler with the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office. 'Before I was elected Sheriff, I was well aware of the incident that Deputy Wallin was involved in that led to his termination by the former administration. I believe I speak for many Sheriff’s Office employees that we were shocked when the former administration decided to terminate him even after he was cleared of criminal charges by the Snohomish County Prosecuting Attorney. After the election, but prior to taking office, I made no promises to Deputy Wallin other than I would give the case a second look. I felt obligated to do so since the facts that I knew at the time of the incident did not seem to warrant termination. I knew full well that after taking office I could learn more information that previously had not been available to me which may lead me to upholding the termination case. I went into the review process with an open mind. The review consisted of reading the entire file, which included both the results of the SMART investigation and the Sheriff’s Office internal investigation by the Office of Professional Accountability. The file contained additional information that I did not have prior to taking office. After carefully reviewing the information, I found the termination of Deputy Wallin was not justified and that his actions were reasonable under the circumstances the suspect chose to put him in that night: '1. Deputy Wallin’s pursuit of the suspect was within policy because the suspect was under the influence of alcohol or drugs and posed a danger to other drivers on the road, and the suspect was using his truck as a weapon (purposefully ramming patrol vehicles) posing a credible threat to responding deputies and the public; '2. Deputy Wallin’s decision to use deadly force was within policy because he was protecting his partner and the community from an imminent threat of death or serious bodily injury. 'The bottom line is, Deputy Wallin never should have been terminated in the first place. Deputy sheriffs are expected to make split second decisions in situations which are tense, uncertain, and rapidly evolving. The incident the former administration terminated him for would fall under this category. Deputy Wallin believed his partner’s life was in danger when he chose to use force. I believe Deputy Wallin’s actions were reasonable under the circumstances in which they occurred. I also believe the SMART investigation supported Deputy Wallin’s version of what took place that night and his decision was appropriate under the circumstances. In my judgment, Deputy Wallin put his life on the line to protect both his partner and his community. “I understand the difficult job that law enforcement officers, corrections, and support personnel have to go through in their daily duties. I value the work of all Sheriff’s Office employees and I am committed to ensuring that they are always treated fairly by this administration.”
  • A woman got into a fight with another woman over a parking spot, then ran her car into that woman’s mother early Tuesday morning in Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania, authorities said. Tracey Shifflett allegedly was upset about a vehicle that was parked in “her spot” on Holmes Street when she began fighting with a woman, police said. At some point, the mother of the woman involved in the fight with Shifflett broke up the altercation and tried to leave with her daughter. The mother went to get into her vehicle as Shifflett got into hers. That’s when Shifflett drove into the mother, pinning her between the two vehicles, police said. Shifflett then continued to accelerate her vehicle, spinning her tires so much that she left rubber on the street and about 20 feet of skid marks, police said. Shifflett tried to leave the scene, but she was stopped by the daughter, according to authorities. She was arrested and taken to the Allegheny County Jail. The mother suffered serious pelvic and lower body injuries. She was taken to a trauma center. The daughter suffered facial injuries during the initial fight with Shifflett and was taken to a Pittsburgh hospital. Police said Shifflett was found to be “highly intoxicated.” Shifflett is charged with attempted homicide, aggravated assault, aggravated assault by vehicle while DUI, aggravated assault by vehicle, recklessly endangering another person and DUI.
  • A lawsuit has been filed by Joey Kramer against the rest of the band Aerosmith after he was excluded from performing at the upcoming Grammys. According to Rolling Stone, the lawsuit claims that he has been unfairly excluded from joining the group at the Sunday’s 2020 Grammy Awards. Kramer claimed that the band made him re-audition after he suffered a shoulder injury last fall. The band decided against him rejoining the band. “This is not about money. I am being deprived of the opportunity to be recognized along with my peers for our collective lifetime contributions to the music industry. Neither the MusiCares’ Person of the Year Award nor the Grammys’ Lifetime Achievement honors can ever be repeated,” Kramer told Rolling Stone. Read more about the lawsuit here. The Grammy-winning band, which released its self-titled debut in 1973, has hits including “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing,” ″Janie’s Got a Gun” and “Walk This Way.” The band formed in Boston in 1971. The Associated Press contributed to this story.
  • A former Texas pediatric nurse suspected of killing up to 60 children during her career was sentenced to life in prison after pleading guilty Thursday to the 1981 murder of an 11-month-old boy in her care. Genene Jones, 69, was scheduled to face trial next month in the murders of Joshua Earl Sawyer and four other children, all ages 2 and under, according to KSAT in San Antonio. She pleaded guilty to one count of murder in exchange for prosecutors dropping the remainder of the charges. Jones was also charged in the deaths of Rosemary Vega, 2, Richard “Ricky” Nelson, 8 months, Patrick Zavala, 4 months, and Paul Edward Villarreal, 3 months, according to Bexar County court records. Related story: ‘Angel of Death’ nurse suspected of killing 40 kids indicted for murder in 35-year-old case The plea deal requires that Jones serve at least 20 years of her life sentence before becoming eligible for parole, though she was granted credit for two years served while awaiting trial. She will be 87 years old before she again has a chance to be free. “With this plea, the odds are she will take her last breath in prison,” Bexar County prosecutor Catherine Babbitt said, according to The Associated Press. Capital murder of a child under 10 was not an existing charge in Texas in the 1980s. Someone convicted of capital murder of a child today faces either mandatory life in prison or the death penalty. Jones, who went to court in a blue Bexar County Jail uniform similar to the nurse’s scrubs she once wore, was silent throughout her sentencing. She needed a walker to face District Judge Frank J. Castro, who told Jones her decision to admit guilt “doesn’t come close to what you did to these families and the tragedies that you caused.” “You took God’s most precious gift, babies. Defenseless, innocent (babies),” Castro said. “I’m going to follow this agreement here that you agreed (to) with your attorney and the state. But I truly believe that your ultimate judgment is in the next life.” Though Jones had never before publicly accepted blame for any of the deaths, ProPublica reported in 2018 that testimony at a pretrial hearing indicated she confessed to a parole officer in October 1998. “I really did kill those babies,” Jones reportedly told a parole officer, according to a prosecutor’s testimony. In a 2011 letter to the Texas Board of Nursing, which had not formally revoked her nursing license in the 27 years since her murder conviction, Jones also appeared to admit to the crimes for which she was imprisoned. Her license, which was suspended in 1986, two years after her murder conviction, was ultimately suspended later in 2011. “I look back now on what I did and agree with you now that it was heinous, that I was heinous,“ Jones wrote in the letter obtained by ProPublica and Texas Monthly. “My only defense is that I was not of sound mind then or any time before 1994. That is not an excuse just a fact. God, in His infinite wisdom and mercy, granted me a sound mind upon receiving Him as Lord of my life.“ The plea deal also allowed Jones to get her Bible back. The book, along with an address book and other personal items, had been seized from her prison cell as evidence in the case. “There is some handwriting of Genene Jones’ in the Bible ... some references to children and to sin,” Babbitt, chief of the Bexar County District Attorney’s Office Major Crimes Unit, explained last fall, KSAT reported. Rosemary Vega’s mother, Rosemary Vega Cantu, was incredulous Thursday over the issue of Jones’ Bible. Cantu addressed the serial killer during an emotional victim impact statement recorded live by local reporters. Though Jones did not plead guilty to killing Cantu’s daughter, a condition of her plea agreement was that Cantu and the families of all of the children involved in the case be allowed to speak during sentencing, Texas Monthly reported. “I’ve waited 38 years of my life to tell you I will never forgive you,” a tearful Cantu said. “You changed my life and my family. I trusted you.” Cantu worked in housekeeping at San Antonio’s University Hospital, then known as Bexar County Hospital, at the same time Jones worked as a nurse in its pediatric intensive care unit. According to a June 2017 interview with Texas Monthly, published in collaboration with ProPublica, Cantu’s duties included cleaning the rooms of the pediatric ICU where Jones ultimately cared for her daughter. The two women knew one another. “I trusted you with my daughter, and you would tell me, ‘It’s gonna be OK, Rosemary,’” Cantu continued, weeping. She said her toddler daughter, who had been hospitalized for surgery related to a congenital heart defect, was not given a chance to go to school, to get married or to have children of her own. “I pray to God you never come out to hurt no more babies in the world,” Cantu said. “I can’t believe you’re still asking for your Bible.” Jones had previously sought to have her Bible returned to her but was denied the request last year after the court sided with prosecutors that her writings, including personal letters, were evidence that she was competent to stand trial. Defense attorneys had argued that Jones’ mental capacity had been diminished by a series of strokes. Joshua Sawyer’s mother, Connie Weeks, was another parent who gave a victim impact statement Thursday at Jones’ sentencing hearing. Weeks told Jones she is glad Jones will never see daylight as a free woman and would end her life “in captivity” for killing Weeks’ son. The infant had been hospitalized for smoke inhalation following a house fire, the San Antonio Express News reported. Jones killed him Dec. 12, 1981, with a toxic injection of Dilantin, a potent anti-seizure medication. “You should have to serve one year for every year of life you robbed from the babies that you murdered,” Weeks said. “Although that’s not possible, you should definitely serve the remainder of your life in prison for the babies’ lives that you cut short. “So I will leave you with this: I hope for you to live a long and miserable life behind bars.” The ‘Death Shift’ Jones, dubbed the “Angel of Death,” was suspected of killing between 40 and 60 children in her care, first in the pediatric ICU of the hospital and then at a pediatrician’s office in Kerrville, about 65 miles northwest of San Antonio. Jones was a nurse through the late 1970s and early 1980s. Jones was already serving a 99-year sentence in the death of one of those children when she was indicted in Joshua Sawyer’s death in 2017. Jones was convicted in 1984 of giving 15-month-old Chelsea McClelland a fatal dose of the paralytic agent succinylcholine in 1982. Chelsea McClelland stopped breathing during a routine pediatrician’s visit. Despite her 99-year sentence in Chelsea’s death -- and a 60-year sentence she was serving for giving Rolando Santos, 4 weeks old, a near-fatal overdose of the blood thinner heparin that same year -- Jones found herself eligible for early release in March 2018 under a 1977 law that Texas legislators had passed to relieve prison overcrowding. Bexar County prosecutors, realizing the state would be forced to release the notorious killer, launched a secret investigation into Jones’ time as a nurse, and the dozens of infants who died on her shift. The new investigation began in November 2014. She was indicted May 25, 2017, in the death of the Sawyer baby, according to Bexar County officials. A second indictment, in the Sept. 16, 1981, killing of Rosemary Vega, was handed down June 21, 2017. Indictments in the July 3, 1981, death of Ricky Nelson and the Jan. 17, 1982, death of Patrick Zavala were handed down a week later. Both boys were injected with an unknown substance prior to their deaths, according to court records. The fifth baby for which Jones was charged, Paul Villarreal, died Sept. 24, 1981, of a heparin overdose while recovering from elective skull surgery, according to author Peter Elkind, who wrote a book about the murders. Jones was working the 3 to 11 p.m. shift at Bexar County Hospital in late 1981 when suspicious supervisors began privately investigating the large number of unexplained medical issues -- and deaths -- of the children being treated in the pediatric ICU unit. The deaths were frequent enough that Jones’ co-workers, who saw the disturbing pattern, began calling her shift the “Death Shift.” Texas Monthly reported last week that a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study done in connection with the criminal probe of Jones found that, during the 15-month “epidemic period” in which the numbers skyrocketed, patients were 10 times more likely to die on Jones’ shift than on that of other nurses on the ward. One of the hospital’s internal probes into the deaths found that, between May and December 1981, 10 children had died of “sudden and unexplained” complications on Jones’ watch, the magazine reported in 1983. One of those patients was Joshua Sawyer. Joshua was slain just three months after Rosemary Vega, who Cantu said had been hospitalized for a relatively routine surgical procedure related to a congenital heart defect. Cantu, who was 18 when her daughter was killed, told Texas Monthly in 2017 that she saw Jones inject an unknown drug into the toddler’s IV line moments before the girl went into cardiac arrest. Prior to the injection, the girl’s recovery was going well, according to documents obtained by the magazine. Before surgery, she was described as “an alert child, playing, and in no acute distress.” Her surgery went smoothly and she was taken to the pediatric ICU, where Jones was her nurse. That night, a doctor noticed that the respirator helping Rosemary breathe had been set to give her too little oxygen. The setting had been “altered by an unknown source,” the medical records showed. The toddler stabilized throughout the next day but suffered the first of three episodes of cardiac arrest around 5:30 p.m., again on Jones’ shift. Cantu said in 2017 that she was sitting at her daughter’s bedside when Jones injected something she said would “help (her) baby rest,” Texas Monthly reported. “After she walked out, not two minutes later, my daughter started turning purple,” Cantu said. “The monitors went off; people started running. She was doing good until Genene injected her. Then she started getting the code blue.” She was left with irreversible brain damage and was removed from life support by her parents. At the time, hospital officials could not definitively prove Jones was harming the children. “This association of Nurse Jones with the deaths of the 10 children could be coincidental. However, negligence or wrongdoing cannot be excluded,” a hospital report obtained by Texas Monthly read. The magazine reported that by the time that report was written, however, Jones was no longer at the hospital. Hospital administrators were unwilling to fire her or get law enforcement agencies involved, but the doctors caring for the hospital’s sickest children refused to allow Jones back into the PICU. Instead, the hospital phased licensed vocational nurses, including Jones, out of the ICU and replaced them with registered nurses, the magazine reported. Offered a position elsewhere in the hospital, Jones declined and moved on. The rampant and mysterious medical crises at the hospital stopped. They soon picked up again at the Kerrville pediatric practice of Dr. Kathleen Holland, who hired Jones after she left the hospital -- with a letter of recommendation from her supervisors. In a one-month span, seven of Holland’s patients had eight separate medical emergencies in her office in which they stopped breathing, Texas Monthly reported. One of those children, Chelsea McClellan, died. Holland became suspicious of Jones after finding puncture marks in a vial of succinylcholine in the office’s store of medications. The drug was later tested and found to have been diluted with another clear substance so the vial would appear full. Only Holland and Jones had access to the drugs. Chelsea’s body was exhumed in May 1983, at which time tests showed signs of succinylcholine in her system. It was the McClellan murder that put Jones behind bars in 1984. ‘A cold-blooded monster’ Several of the parents at last week’s hearing credited Chelsea’s mother, Petti McClellan-Wiese, with pushing investigators to reinvestigate the case against Jones before she could be released from prison. McClellan-Wiese, who they described as their champion, died June 11 at the age of 64, according to her obituary. McClellan-Wiese’s daughter, Kylie McClellan, stepped in to support the women at Thursday’s hearing, the Express News reported. She also spoke on behalf of Hope Zavala Pacheco, Patrick Zavala’s mother, who could not make the hearing. “Forty years have gone by since you took my baby’s life and I hate you for that,” Kylie McClellan read from a prepared statement written by Pacheco. “I’ve often wondered how a person can sleep at night after taking someone’s baby’s life. You must have a very large, black heart. At this point, I’m not saying that I forgive you, but there’s only one person you must answer to, and that is God. “I don’t wish you death, but I do want you to stay locked up for the remainder of your days. I feel like a big burden has been lifted off my shoulder, finding justice for our babies.” McClellan-Wiese was not the only parent of the murdered children to die before seeing Jones sentenced to additional prison time. Paul Villarreal’s mother, Juanita Villarreal, died in December, scarcely a month before she would have faced her son’s killer in court one more time. KSAT in San Antonio reported that Juanita Villarreal, 64, died of complications of pneumonia. Villarreal’s daughter, Melissa Luna, stood up on behalf of her mother and brother, as well as on behalf of the family of Ricky Nelson, who the Express News reported has no living relatives. “Neither one of them made it to their first birthday because you made a decision to take their lives,” Luna told Jones of the two infant boys. “You wanted to see how many times you could bring them back, as if you thought that you were God himself.” Luna told Jones her mother feared over the decades that Jones would someday be released and be able to again target helpless children. “You’re too much of a cold-blooded monster to begin to empathize and realize what hell these mothers have been through, having to live and go on without their children,” Luna said. She said she always wondered what her relationship with her brother would have been like but said she would never know. She vowed to keep both his memory and that of Ricky Nelson alive for the rest of her own life. “And now, just like my mom knew, just like all these mothers knew that their children were murdered and that they didn’t just suddenly die, the whole world will know they were right,” Luna said. “They will also know the coward that you are for taking all those innocent lives. “I can leave here with a smile on my face, because although my brother is in a box, I know you will take your last pathetic breath in one, too, and you’ll never be able to hurt children again.”