ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
80°
Partly Cloudy
H -° L 74°
  • cloudy-day
    80°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H -° L 74°
  • cloudy-day
    Today
    Partly Cloudy. H -° L 74°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    90°
    Tomorrow
    Partly Cloudy T-storms. H 90° L 73°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

National
Jeffrey Epstein accuser sues estate, Ghislaine Maxwell
Close

Jeffrey Epstein accuser sues estate, Ghislaine Maxwell

Jeffrey Epstein accuser sues estate, Ghislaine Maxwell
Photo Credit: New York State Sex Offender Registry via AP, File
This March 28, 2017, file photo, provided by the New York State Sex Offender Registry shows Jeffrey Epstein.

Jeffrey Epstein accuser sues estate, Ghislaine Maxwell

A woman who said she was raped by Jeffrey Epstein when she was a teenager filed suit Wednesday against the wealthy financier's estate, one of his associates and members of his staff, saying they conspired to maintain and protect a sex trafficking ring.

>> Read more trending news 

In the suit, filed Wednesday in New York County Supreme Court, an attorney for Jennifer Araoz, 32, said Epstein repeatedly sexually assaulted her when she was 14 and 15 years old.

"Today, I am starting to reclaim my power," Araoz told reporters Wednesday, according to NPR News.

Araoz sued Ghislaine Maxwell, Epstein's former girlfriend and longtime confidant, Epstein's estate and three unnamed staff members who were identified as a recruiter, a secretary and a maid.
"Epstein never operated alone," Araoz said in an op-ed published Wednesday by The New York Times. "He had a ring of enablers and surrounded himself with influential people."

Maxwell has previously denied any wrongdoing.

Araoz said she was a freshman in high school when she was approached by a recruiter who eventually convinced her to meet Epstein at his mansion Manhattan, where the alleged sexual abuse took place.

The lawsuit was the first to be filed by any of Epstein's accusers since his death Saturday in a federal jail in New York. Epstein had been awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges.

Prosecutors said Epstein sexually exploited and abused dozens of girls as young as 14 at his homes in New York and Florida between 2002 and 2005. He previously avoided significant jail time and federal prosecution in 2008, when he agreed to plead guilty to a pair of lesser charges after he was accused of molesting girls in Palm Beach County, Florida. He served 13 months in jail and agreed to register as a sex offender as part of the deal. 

Despite Epstein's death, authorities vowed to continue investigating his alleged sex trafficking ring. Investigators on Monday raided his private island in the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Miami Herald reported. Epstein allegedly trafficked girls for sex on the island, which has sometimes been called "pedophile island" in the wake of his 2008 prosecution, the Herald reported.

The lawsuit filed by Araoz is one of many expected to be filed by Epstein's accusers after a new state law went into effect in New York on Wednesday, according to The Associated Press. The law opens a one-year window for sex abuse victims to bring cases against their alleged abusers in instances that otherwise would have fallen outside the state's strict statute of limitations, The Washington Post reported.

Read More

News

  • A beloved giraffe at an Arizona wildlife park died from complications from previous 'anesthetic procedures,' officials said on social media. >> Read more trending news  'We are deeply heartbroken to announce farewell to our beloved friend Kibo,' officials with Out of Africa Wildlife Park in Campe Verde announced on Twitter. 'He touched thousands over 20 years at our park.' The 20-year-old giraffe died Tuesday, KNXV reported. In a Facebook post, the zoo said Kibo 'had a level of wit and curiosity that surpassed any other friends with which he shared his space.' The giraffe came to Out of Africa Wildlife Park in 1999, KNXV reported. 'He touched our hearts and reminded us to be silly and to laugh every day, especially when he would sit down in front of the entry gates,' zoo officials wrote on Facebook.
  • Twenty-two people were injured Thursday night in a light rail crash north of Sacramento, California, authorities said. >> Read more trending news  According to KOVR, officials are calling the crash a 'multi-casualty' incident. Sacramento Metro Fire spokesman Chris Vestal said there were multiple injuries and 'multiple medics' were at the scene, the television station reported. Officials with the Sacramento Fire Department said the crash occurred around 9:45 p.m., KCRA reported. At least five cars were on the tracks when the train derailed, according to the Sacramento Bee. Fire officials reported 22 injuries, the newspaper reported. Two had moderate injuries, and 20 were describe as 'walking wounded,' according to the Bee.
  • A convicted serial killer who admitted to killing six men in three states was executed Thursday night in Florida. >> Read more trending news  Update 1:30 a.m. EDT Aug. 23: Gary Ray Bowles, 57, was executed by lethal injection at 10:58 p.m. Thursday at the Florida State Prison, the office of Gov. Ron DeSantis announced. Bowles did not say anything before his execution, but wrote he was sorry in a handwritten statement dated Thursday, according to The Associated Press. 'I'm sorry for all the pain and suffering I have caused. I hope my death eases your pain,' Bowles wrote. 'I want to tell my mother that I am also sorry for my actions. Having to deal with your son being called a monster is terrible. I'm so very sorry. I never wanted this to be my life. You don't wake up one day and decide to become a serial killer.' Original report: Gary Ray Bowles, 57, is scheduled to die by lethal injection at 6 p.m. Thursday at the Florida State Prison in Raiford, barring a last-minute stay from the U.S. Supreme Court. Bowles began his eight-month killing spree on March 14, 1994, when he beat and strangled 59-year-old John Hardy Roberts in the victim's Daytona Beach home, the Ledger of Lakeland reported. On May 19, 1994, Bowles killed 37-year-old Albert Alice Morris in the same manner. With each of his Florida victims, Bowles befriended the men while working as a prostitute, according to the Daytona Beach News-Journal. He would then move in with the victims, who were gay men, and eventually kill them. Bowles also robbed the victims of their cars and credit cards. Tim Youngman, a retired homicide and crime scene investigator with the Daytona Police Department, told The Ledger that Bowles denied being gay himself, saying, 'I'm a hustler.' After the first two murders, Bowles killed two men in Georgia -- one in Savannah and one in Atlanta -- and another man in Wheaton, Maryland. He admitted to these killings but was never prosecuted for them, The News-Journal reported. Bowles' cross-country killings earned him the nickname the 'I-95 Killer.' The FBI began a manhunt for him in the summer of 1994 and added him to the Ten Most Wanted Fugitives list. While on the run, Bowles was profiled on 'America's Most Wanted' at least five times, according to The News-Journal. Bowles was arrested shortly after killing 42-year-old Walter Hinton on Nov. 20, 1994, in his Jacksonville home. Hinton was also beaten and strangled. “The manner in which he murdered Mr. Hinton was really outrageous, really heinous,” Jacksonville prosecutor Bernie de la Rionda told The News-Journal. Bowles was sentenced to die by a Jacksonville circuit judge in 1996. In August 1998, the Florida Supreme Court overturned Bowles' death sentence, saying prosecutors were wrong to introduce evidence of Bowles' homophobia, The Ledger reported. However, in May 1999, jurors recommended a death sentence for Bowles. Bowles' execution will be the 99th in Florida since the U.S. Supreme Court reinstated the death penalty in 1976, WCJB-TV reported. Youngman said Bowles' execution is overdue. “He killed six people,” he said. “You can prove it, without a doubt. So why not? It’s time.”
  • Excitement is running high in northern Ohio as the Cleveland Browns prepare for the NFL regular season. For the first time in years, the Browns are being mentioned as possible playoff contenders, and a 2-0 mark in the preseason has ramped up expectations for the team reaching the playoffs for the first time since 2002. >> Read more trending news  One Browns fan is so confident about the Browns' chances, he got a tattoo Wednesday that proclaimed the team the Super Bowl LIV champions, WKYC reported. Ohio State student Garrett Howenstine, 20, a junior at Ohio State University, told the television station he got a tattoo on his right thigh predicting the Browns would be hoisting the Vince Lombardi Trophy on Feb 2 in Miami.  The tattoo features a Browns helmet with the words 'Superbowl Champs LIV' written underneath, WKYC reported. Howenstine has been getting grief online for not using the proper term, 'Super Bowl,' on his tattoo. Howenstine got the tattoo at Bodystain Tattoo & Body Piercing in Columbus. But here is the irony: Smitty, the tattoo artist who did the work, is a Pittsburgh Steelers fan, WEWS reported. Howenstine's tattoo may seem a bit premature, since the Browns have never been to the Super Bowl, but he is confident Baker Mayfield, Odell Beckham Jr. and Myles Garrett can bring glory to Cleveland this season. 'Most people either love it or hate it. The people that hate it let it go at the logo being old or the Super Bowl not being spaced out,' Howenstine told WEWS.
  • Indiana State Police troopers arrested a man Wednesday after a pursuit ended in the middle of a bean field. A farmer helped authorities reach the man when he gave police a lift in his four-wheel pickup truck, WXIN reported.  >> Read more trending news  Chad Decker, 45, of Terre Haute, was booked on a felony charge of resisting law enforcement in a vehicle and misdemeanor charges of operating while intoxicated, reckless driving, criminal mischief, refusal to identify himself and criminal trespass, according to the Tribune-Star of Terre Haute. According to the Indiana State Police, Trooper Andrew Mattern attempted to pull over an SUV in Vigo County, but the driver did not stop and continued driving for a mile, the newspaper reported. Once stopped, Mattern said he recognized Decker and noticed a strong odor of alcohol along with a partially empty bottle of Crown Royal in the passenger seat, WTTV reported. Decker did not exit his SUV when asked to do so and fled the scene, according to the Tribune-Star. Troopers said Decker drove his SUV through a gas station lot and onto railroad tracks before turning into a bean field, where he got stuck. A farmer gave Mattern a ride in his truck to catch Decker, who was caught while running away from his vehicle, WRTV reported. Decker was arrested and booked into the Vigo County Jail, WXIN reported.
  • Joe Hurston has been flying for more than five decades. >> Read more trending news  As a chaplain with Air Mobile Ministries, he's helped in a number of search-and-rescue missions. 'We've actually found some people on the sea when all hope was lost,' Hurston said.  That's why Hurston said he couldn't sit this one out. As soon as he heard that Brian McCluney and Justin Walker were missing after heading out into the Atlantic Ocean on a fishing trip, he made some phone calls. By chance, he reached Natasha Walker, Justin Walker's wife, and joined the search. On Thursday, WJAX-TV went up with Hurston to see the search efforts firsthand.  Despite news that the U.S. Coast Guard will suspend the active search Thursday night, Hurston said Walker's family remains hopeful. 'Like anything, they're on waves. They have good moments. They have bad moments. They have moments of doubt. We all do, and then we have moments of, 'Let's go find them,'' Hurston said.  The pilot remembers one mission where six men were lost out in the sea. When everyone else had given up, something told Hurston they were still out there. 'I immediately got my little crew together, put them in an airplane, took off, turn 90 degrees from where everybody had been searching for days, flew straight to them in four minutes,' he said.  It's now day seven of the search for Walker and McCluney. Hurston believes the men are out there somewhere, and he's not losing hope. 'I've seen some real miracles, and that's what we need right now. We just need a miracle,' Hurston said.  Hurston said he'll head to North Carolina and help search the Gulf Stream for any signs of the two firefighters.