ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
75°
Few Clouds
H 87° L 68°
  • cloudy-day
    75°
    Current Conditions
    Few Clouds. H 87° L 68°
  • cloudy-day
    86°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 87° L 68°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    80°
    Evening
    Thunderstorms. H 87° L 68°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

National
Iowa 13-year-old found dead after running away over cellphone fight with parents
Close

Iowa 13-year-old found dead after running away over cellphone fight with parents

13-Year-Old Found Dead After Running Away Over Cellphone Fight with Parents

Iowa 13-year-old found dead after running away over cellphone fight with parents

An Iowa 13-year-old who ran away from home last week after his parents took away his cellphone was found dead Sunday less than a mile and a half from his house.

The body of Corey Brown, of Marshalltown, was found around 11:45 a.m. Sunday in a secluded area of the city, which is located just over 50 miles northeast of Des Moines. Corey had been missing for more than four days. 

“At this time, there is no evidence or information that indicates criminal activity is connected to this missing person/death investigation,” police officials said in a statement posted on Facebook. “However, this is still an active investigation and all possible scenarios will be thoroughly investigated.”

Marshalltown police Chief Mike Tupper told NBC News on Monday that it wasn’t clear if Corey was familiar with the area in which he was found.

“We believe we will be able to accurately account for his steps and whereabouts,” Tupper said

Marshalltown Police Department
Corey Brown, 13, is pictured in an undated family photo wearing the hat and coat he wore when he left his home in Marshalltown, Iowa, the night of Tuesday, Jan. 22, 2019. The teen's body was found more than four days later in a secluded area of the city about 1.5 miles from his house. Police officials said there were no signs of foul play in the teen's disappearance and death.
Close

Iowa 13-year-old found dead after running away over cellphone spat with parents

Photo Credit: Marshalltown Police Department
Corey Brown, 13, is pictured in an undated family photo wearing the hat and coat he wore when he left his home in Marshalltown, Iowa, the night of Tuesday, Jan. 22, 2019. The teen's body was found more than four days later in a secluded area of the city about 1.5 miles from his house. Police officials said there were no signs of foul play in the teen's disappearance and death.

>> Read more trending news

The chief previously told reporters at a news conference that Corey left home following an argument with his parents, during which they had taken his phone. According to the Times-Republican in Marshalltown, security camera footage showed the boy leaving his home around 11 p.m. Jan. 22, while the city and surrounding area were under a winter weather advisory. 

His parents did not realize he was missing until the following morning, when they found his bedroom empty, the newspaper reported

“Anyone with kids has had discussions with their children about household rules,” Tupper told NBC News. “This was a typical parent-teenager interaction. No anger. Nothing extraordinary.”

The Browns immediately reported their son missing, the Times-Republican reported. More than a dozen law enforcement agencies from around Iowa joined Marshalltown first responders in search efforts coordinated out of a local Lutheran church, police officials said

Hundreds of volunteers also began showing up at an area Catholic church to form search parties, but Tupper and his crews sent the volunteers home so they would not impede the search efforts, the newspaper reported

Efforts were already hampered by frigid temperatures and more than 6 inches of snow that fell the night Corey left his home and the following day. Temperatures topped out at 29 degrees while the boy was missing and the lowest temperature, recorded Friday morning, was -9 degrees, NBC News reported

Corey’s family made an impassioned plea Thursday for the teen to come home. 

“Corey if you are out there please come home,” a tearful Michelle Brown said. “You know how much we love you and I’m not going to stop until we find you. If you are out there, come home. We love you more than you’ll ever know.”

Listen to Corey Brown’s mother speak below, courtesy of WHO-TV. 

It was unclear Monday how long the teen survived the weather, but an autopsy was planned to determine when and how he died. Tupper said Corey was found in the same clothing he was wearing when he vanished -- a red shirt, black pants, a black and lime green coat and a Seattle Seahawks stocking cap.

Corey’s fellow students at Miller Middle School spent part of the day Monday decorating his locker with notes of remembrance for the eighth-grader described as a bright, kind and friendly child. 

“Rest in peace. You were an awesome friend and a great person and I wish I just could have said bye,” one note read, according to the Times-Republican

“We will miss you so much,” another note read. 

Marshalltown Community School District officials told the newspaper that additional counselors were and would remain at the middle school, as well as at the high school, for several days to help students, faculty and staff process their loss. 

Marshalltown Mayor Joel Greer offered his condolences on Facebook to the Brown family, who Tupper said requested privacy following the discovery of Corey’s body. 

Our hearts bleed for the Brown family,” Greer wrote, according to the paper. “The whole city and all well-wishers will keep them in our thoughts and continue our prayers for them.”

In an opinion piece published Tuesday by the Times-Republican, Tupper expressed dismay with some of the national news coverage of Brown’s disappearance, accusing some media outlets of sensationalizing and inaccurately reporting details of the case “in an effort to hint someone must be to blame.” He also pointed at “keyboard warriors on social media” who speculated and theorized on what happened and who might be to blame. 

“I have held the hand of far too many parents as they mourn the loss of a child,” Tupper wrote. “Any senseless or unexpected loss of life is difficult to deal with but, when a child dies, it hurts in ways that for me are indescribable.”

The chief wrote that it is normal to seek answers and accountability when a tragedy takes place, but that sometimes, there is no explanation. 

“We convince ourselves we would have done something different to prevent tragedy had it been us in the shoes of those dealt the horrible blow,” Tupper wrote. “Maybe this is how we cope. Maybe this is how we try to convince ourselves such horrible things will never happen to us. We know better after all and someone must have done something wrong to cause this.”

That mindset is wrong, the chief wrote. 

“The Brown family deserves, and needs, our support, our love,” Tupper wrote. “They deserve compassion. There is nobody to blame here, folks.

“Corey Brown did nothing wrong. The Brown family did nothing wrong. They were the victims of unfortunate circumstances that could have just as easily visited our own families. Tragedy sometimes just happens. All you can do is support one another.”

Read More

News

  • Seth Rollins and Becky Lynch have made their marks as professional wrestlers. Now, both believe they have formed a perfect match and are ready to grapple with married life. >> Read more trending news  The WWE stars announced their engagement Thursday, with Lynch, 32, announcing the news on Instagram.. “Happiest day of my life,” Lynch wrote in her post. Lynch and Rollins’ fellow WWE stars shared their congratulations in the comments section, along with Nikki Bella and her sister, Brie Bella, People reported. “Awww yay! Love this so much!” Nikki Bella wrote. “You deserve all the happiness in the world!!! Love you Becky!!!” “Yay!!!! Congrats!!! So happy for you both!!!” Brie Bella wrote. On Twitter, Rollins called himself the 'luckiest man alive' and posted a photo of Lynch showing off her engagement ring.
  • Lindsey Vonn and P.K. Subban are making the switch from Olympic rings to wedding rings. >> Read more trending news  Vonn, 34, a gold medalist in the 2010 Olympics and winner of 82 World Cup skiing events, made the announcement Friday on Instagram. She and Subban have been dating for at least a year, ESPN reported. 'He said YES!!' Vonn posted. 'Can’t wait to spend the rest of my life with this crazy/kind/handsome/hyper/giving man.' Subban, 30, won a gold medal as a member of Canada's men's hockey team at the 2014 Olympics, ESPN reported. He was traded from the Nashville Predators to the New Jersey Devils in June. The couple met two years ago at the Nickelodeon sports show that follows the ESPYs, Vogue reported. The pair made their relationship official in a red carpet at the CMT Music Awards in June 2018, People reported. “Right off the bat, I knew he was different,” Vonn told Vogue. “But I’d been married before, so I was pretty hesitant to let myself think that I could find someone that I would want to be married to again. After a few months of dating, I knew he was the one I wanted to be with, though. He makes me happy, and he’s so positive and energetic.” In addition to her marriage to skier Thomas Vonn, Lindsey Vonn dated golfer Tiger Woods for nearly three years until they split up in 2015, ESPN reported. 'Lindsey's the best thing that's ever happened to me,' Subban told Vogue. 'There are people in life that deserve to be with good people. They have that person who takes care of them and makes them smile, and she deserves to be with someone who loves her more than anything else in the world, and I do.' Vonn said the couple has not set a date for the wedding but will live in New Jersey, Vogue reported. We’re in such a busy time right now. We’re trying to move to New Jersey,” Vonn told the magazine. “I just want to enjoy the moment and the engagement. We’re not in a big hurry to get married. It kind of depends on his playing schedule, and when we have time to sit down and go through it. I don’t want to stress him out because he has a big season coming.”
  • A school resource officer is out of a job after she filmed a nude video of herself inside an elementary school bathroom during her shift. >> Read more trending news  Kissimmee Police told WFTV the woman removed her badge, uniform and gun when she went to the bathroom at Kissimmee Charter Academy to make the video for her husband in December. The video, which is heavily blurred, shows the woman asking the recipient what they thought of her video. The video was unearthed after the Osceola County Sheriff's Office investigated a personal incident with the school resource officer and her husband.  An investigation showed that while she was on lunch break, she was subject to recall at any point. Police said she was fired because if a shooting had occurred, she wouldn't have been able to respond.  The officer said that she locked the bathroom door and does not believe she should have been fired.  WFTV did not include the woman's name, as it was redacted in the report. 
  • A Nevada man overcame a weighty problem to become the first member of his family to enlist in the U.S. Army. >> Read more trending news  Seven months ago, Luis Enrique Pinto Jr., of Las Vegas, weighed 317, which meant he could not pass the Army's weight requirements, Army Times reported. The 18-year-old embarked on a program of exercise and diet and shed 113 pounds, allowing him to report to basic training, KNTV reported. Pinto now stands 6 feet, 1 inch and weighs 204 pounds, the television station reported. Pinto had been an offensive lineman in high school and had a steady diet of carbohydrates, but he changed his diet and dropped the pounds. 'I had struggled with weight my whole life. I’ve always been a big kid,' Pinto told KNTV. The biggest hurdle to losing weight was cardio training, Army officials said in a news release. Pinto began to combine jogging and sprinting to improve his times. 'Running wasn't my strong suit,' Pinto said in the news release. 'Carrying all that extra weight and trying to run definitely increased my time.' 'When no one was looking, I was doing push-ups in my room, eating right, knowing what to eat,' Pinto told KTNV. 'I feel like everyone has the power to know what they take into their body, so I just took that into consideration. I just did the right thing at the end of the day,' Pinto's work ethic impressed his friends, family and his Army recruiter, Staff Sgt. Philip Long. 'There were a couple times where he hit a plateau. He would lose a pound or two, maybe,' Long told KTNV. 'But to continue to push forward and put the effort and dedication in, it inspires me and it should inspire you.' Pinto will report to basic training in September, Army Times reported.
  • Six inmates were injured -- two seriously -- during a prison riot Friday night at a San Diego prison, officials said. >> Read more trending news  The disturbance began at the Richard J. Donovan Correctional Facility shortly after 8 p.m., The San Diego Union-Tribune reported. Cal Fire San Diego spokesman Capt. Thomas Shoots said approximately 100 prisoners were in the prison yard when the riot broke out, the newspaper reported. It was not clear how many inmates were involved in the riot, the Union-Tribune reported. Officials with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation said a fight involving several inmates on the recreation yard escalated into a riot, KNSD reported. According to KSWB, staff members ordered the inmates to stop fighting. When the fighting continued, 'officers used several rounds of less than lethal use of force to quell the disturbance.' Two of the inmates were seriously injured and airlifted to area hospitals, Shoots told the Union-Tribune. No prison staff members were injured, KNSD reported.
  • Identity theft may have entered the final frontier if accusations from a woman against an astronaut are true. >> Read more trending news  Summer Worden, a former Air Force intelligence officer living in Kansas, was married to astronaut Anne McClain. Now in the middle of a yearlong divorce and parenting dispute, Worden claims her former spouse accessed her bank account from space, KPRC reported. Worden filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission, accusing McClain of identity theft and unauthorized access to the bank account, according to The New York Times.Worden claims McClain broke into her bank accounts while she was aboard the International Space Station, the newspaper reported. Through her lawyer, McClain admitted she had accessed the bank account from space on a computer system registered to NASA, the Times reported. However, McClain said she was merely keeping tabs on the couple's still intermingled finances, the newspaper reported. “I was shocked and appalled at the audacity by her to think that she could get away with that, and I was very disheartened that I couldn't keep anything private,” Worden told KPRC. McClain's attorney, Rusty Hardin, told the television station in a statement that 'family cases are extremely difficult and private matters for all parties involved.' 'Neither Anne nor we will be commenting on this personal matter,' Hardin said. 'We appreciate the media's understanding and respect, as maintaining privacy, is in the best interest of the child and family members involved.” In a statement to KPRC, NASA said it had no comment on the matter. 'NASA has no statement on this and does not comment on personal or personnel matters. Anne McClain is an active astronaut.' NASA officials told the Times they were unaware of any crimes committed on the space station. McClain, who returned to Earth in June after her six-month mission, took an under-oath interview with NASA's Office of Inspector General last week, the newspaper reported.  “She strenuously denies that she did anything improper,” Hardin told the Times. Hardin told the newspaper the bank access from space was an attempt to make sure there were sufficient funds in Worden’s account to pay bills and care for the child they were raising. Hardin said McClain continued using the same password and claimed she never heard an objection from Worden, the Times reported. The fight from space might be the first case, but Mark Sundahl, director of the Global Space Law Center at Cleveland State University, said it probably will not be the last one. “The more we go out there and spend time out there, all the things we do here are going to happen in space,” Sundahl told the Times.