ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
82°
Partly Cloudy T-storms
H 90° L 70°
  • cloudy-day
    82°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy T-storms. H 90° L 70°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    90°
    Today
    Partly Cloudy T-storms. H 90° L 70°
  • clear-day
    90°
    Tomorrow
    Mostly Clear. H 90° L 70°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

National
Former longtime Louisiana sheriff charged with rape, incest
Close

Former longtime Louisiana sheriff charged with rape, incest

Ex-Louisiana Sheriff Charged with Rape, Incest

Former longtime Louisiana sheriff charged with rape, incest

A former longtime Louisiana sheriff has been charged with multiple sex crimes, including rape and incest, authorities said. 

Rodney Jack Strain Jr., 56, of Abita Springs, is charged with two counts of aggravated rape, two counts of aggravated incest, indecent behavior with a juvenile and sexual battery, according to St. Tammany Parish Jail records. He is being held in lieu of $2.4 million bond. 

>> Read more trending news

Strain is in the same jail he once presided over as St. Tammany Parish sheriff. Warren Montgomery, district attorney for Louisiana’s 22nd Judicial District, said Strain faces life in prison on the aggravated rape charges.  

Montgomery said during a news conference Tuesday that Strain, who NOLA.com reported served as St. Tammany sheriff for 20 years, had been under investigation for 18 months after investigators with the Louisiana State Police, the FBI and the Internal Revenue Service presented his office with evidence of the alleged sex crimes. 

NOLA.com reported the allegations surfaced during a separate investigation in which FBI agents were looking into an inmate work release contract Strain awarded in 2013. The company that was awarded the contract was in the names of the children of two of Strain’s deputies, the news site said

Both former St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office captains pleaded guilty for their part in the business scheme in February. 

Meanwhile, the sex abuse investigation of Strain continued. 

“Over the following months, we conducted a joint investigation, brought in the U.S. Postal Inspection Service and used the grand jury to confirm and corroborate the allegations,” Montgomery said. “The results of that investigation were presented to the grand jury, which returned an indictment this morning.”

Watch District Attorney Warren Montgomery's news conference below. 

Strain is accused of abusing a total of four victims, Montgomery’s staff said in a news release. He is accused of committing aggravated rape on one victim between June 1979 and July 1980, and a second victim between January 1975 and September 1981. 

The third and fourth alleged victims were relatives of his. He is accused of aggravated incest against both victims, one between 1996 and 2002. Strain is also accused of indecent behavior with the third victim, the news release said

The fourth victim, who was reportedly abused in 2004, was also a victim of sexual battery, according to Montgomery’s office

Strain’s indictment, which was obtained by NOLA.com, indicates two of the four victims were under the age of 12 when the abuse took place. Strain himself would have been 12 years old in 1975, when the time frame for one of the alleged crimes began, the news site pointed out

“I have a duty to pursue justice when a crime has been committed,” Montgomery said during Tuesday’s news conference. “The grand jury also has a duty, and when presented with evidence (of sexual misconduct by Mr. Strain) that made a determination of probable cause evident to them, they returned an indictment in this matter. 

“Mr. Strain deserves a speedy and fair trial by an impartial jury, and for that reason, I will have no further comment or answer any questions.”

Strain, who started his law enforcement career with the Abita Springs Police Department, was first elected sheriff in St. Tammany Parish in 1996, NOLA.com said. He remained in office through 2014 before being defeated by current Sheriff Randy Smith. 

Smith issued a statement Tuesday, in which he said the allegations against Strain are “disgraceful and shocking,” NOLA.com reported

Residents of tiny Abita Springs also expressed shock in December, when the allegations against their one-time police chief first surfaced publicly. 

“We never saw him as that person,” resident Evette Randolph told the news site. “He was always a well-mannered guy to be around. From growing up around him, it just doesn’t sound like the guy we knew then.”

Aside from the mandatory life sentence if convicted of the aggravated rape charges, Strain faces up to 20 years for each aggravated incest charge, up to 10 years on the sexual battery charge and up to seven years on the indecent behavior charge, according to Montgomery’s office

Read More

News

  • River “Oakley” Nimmo wanted to be in the Army when he grew up, but he will never have the chance after losing his battle with cancer.  The 5-year-old died last week after a 3-year battle, KTHV reported. According to River’s obituary, “Oakley spent most of this life, fighting to live and did it with a smile on his face. In between hospital stays, Oakley spent his free time driving his power wheels and shooting his toy guns. He often talked about being an “Army Man,” as he called it, when he grew up.” >> Read more trending news  The child’s parents are now asking current and past members of the military to come to their son’s funeral Tuesday, dressed in full dress uniform to honor their son’s dream. The service will be held at Cullendale First Baptist Church in Camden, Arkansas, with burial following at Furr Cemetery in Locust Bayou, Arkansas.
  • Deputies routinely pull over speeders. However, a Florida deputy had the opposite issue when traffic was slowed down by a gopher tortoise taking a leisurely stroll along the highway. >> Read more trending news  Deputy Leonard Fontenot 'conducted a traffic stop' on the animal for 'impeding traffic flow,' officials with the St. Johns County Sheriff's Office wrote in a Facebook post published Friday. The result was a selfie with Fontenot and the tortoise. The tortoise was trudging along the Nocatee Parkway south of Jacksonville when Fontenot approached the 'Gopherus Genus, exact age unknown.' According to the Facebook post, the tortoise 'failed to clear the roadway' when asked to do so by Fontentot. But after a 'heartfelt conversation' about risks of walking on a roadway while vehicles sped past, the tortoise was released. 'Gopherus was cooperative during the remainder of my encounter with him, so I chose to use discretion and let him go with a warning,' Fontenot was quoted in the Facebook post. 'In fact, our interaction was so positive, we posed for a selfie together!' Gopher tortoises, actually known as Gopherus polyphemus, and their burrows are protected by state law, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. The animal can live between 40 to 60 years in the wild and more than 90 years in captivity, according to the commission's website.
  • Friends and family are asking for the public's help after they say 23-year-old University of Utah student MacKenzie Lueck went missing after taking a Lyft ride from an airport. In a news release, the Salt Lake City Police Department said Lueck returned to Salt Lake City after visiting family on June 17. She took a Lyft from Salt Lake City Airport to an address in North Salt Lake, Utah, early Monday morning.  The Salt Lake Tribune reported that Lueck was in her home state of California for her grandmother's funeral. When she returned to Salt Lake City, she texted her parents around 1 a.m. Lueck's parents reported her missing Thursday afternoon, according to the publication. She is 5 feet, 6 inches tall with blond, medium-length hair and weighs about 120 lbs, KUTV reported. CBS News reported that her best friend, Juliana Cauley, said Lueck doesn't live in North Salt Lake and she doesn't know why she went there.  >> Read more trending news  'SLCPD has been conducting a missing persons investigation and have spoken with both Lyft as well as the Lyft driver,' the department said in the news release. 'Lyft and their driver have cooperated with the investigation.' “We don’t have anyone searching any particular area right now because we don’t have any credible evidence of where she might be,' Sgt. Brandon Shearer told The Salt Lake Tribune. A representative for Lyft told CBS News there were no irregularities with Lueck's ride and that it ended at the destination she entered on the app and the driver continue to pick up and drop off other customers right after Lueck arrived at her destination. 'We recognize how scary this must be for those who know and love Ms. Lueck,' Lyft said in a statement to KSTU. 'The safety of our community is fundamental to Lyft and we are actively assisting law enforcement with their investigation.' 'Our primary goal is to find Mackenzie and bring her home,' Lueck's family said in a statement to KUTV. 'Her family is grateful for the concern, prayers and the tireless efforts of the Salt Lake City Police and members of the community.' 'The SLCPD has not discovered any information that would lead us to believe that Mackenzie has been harmed or is in danger at this time,' the department said. 'Detectives are concerned for Mackenzie’s welfare. If anyone has any information on Mackenzie or where she may be, please contact SLCPD at (801)799-3000 re: case 19-111129.
  • A 25-year-old Texas man was electrocuted early Sunday after possibly trying to steal copper from a transformer on a telephone pole in Dallas, police said. >> Read more trending news  Gabrield Monjaraz, was found dead by police about 30 feet away from the transformer after authorities responded to a 911 caller at 3:12 a.m. who said she heard gunshots, WFAA reported. When first responders arrived, they thought Monjaraz had been hit by a vehicle, The Dallas Morning News reported. However, the Dallas County medical examiner determined Monjaraz had been electrocuted. >> Alabama man electrocuted while stealing electricity, sheriff says After investigating the scene, police found Monjaraz was wearing rubber gloves and the nearby transformer had black marks on it, KTVT reported.
  • Topgolf wants to build a new driving range in Gwinnett. The golf range company has been long suspected as the “golf entertainment complex” proposed for the forthcoming Exchange at Gwinnett mixed-use development. Those suspicions were confirmed when the Texas company filed permit applications with the county planning and development department on May 30. MORE | Brewery, food hall proposed for new development near Mall of Georgia READ | Gwinnett greenlights big mixed-use project near Mall of Georgia Topgolf is a popular driving range company that offers a video game-like experience to players featuring colorfully lit targets and microchipped golf balls. The ranges also feature bars and arcade games. There are currently two metro Atlanta Topgolf locations: one near Atlantic Station in Atlanta and another in Alpharetta. The 14-acre range would be part of the Exchange at Gwinnett, a 64-acre mixed-use development near the Mall of Georgia and Coolray Field. Plans including the “golf entertainment complex” that could become Topgolf have already been approved. Initial plans also included 500 apartments, restaurants, retail space, a hotel and a fitness center. A plan for an additional 34.5 acres including a food hall, brewery space and rooftop bar have been recommended for approval by the county and will likely see a public hearing on July 2. The additional space would also include a medical building, movie theater and 500 more apartments, taking the total number of living units to 1,000.  The planning and development department has not yet made a recommendation for approval or denial regarding the Topgolf permit applications to the Gwinnett County Board of Commissioners. Like Gwinnett County News on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter and InstagramStay up to the minute with breaking news on Channel 2 Action News This Morning
  • An estate sale purchase has shined a new light on the cleanup efforts that followed in the weeks and months after the attacks on September 11. CD-ROMS containing thousands of photos of Ground Zero recovery were recently purchased at an estate sale.  Now the photos show the damage and devastation left behind after hijackers flew American Airlines Flight 11 and United Flight 175 into the Twin Towers 18 minutes apart. Dr. Johnathan Burgess told the BBC his partner found the photos at the sale. “Generally these items are neglected at sales. It’s very likely these would be in a dumpster by now had we not gone,” Burgess told the BBC. >> Read more trending news  Jason Scott was able to upload the photos to Flickr after a CD recovery service was able to save the images. “It’s a miracle the discs transferred so well. CD-ROMS of that age are pretty spotty,” Scott said. >>Photos: New images from Ground Zero discovered on CD-Rom bought at estate sale Now the pair have a mystery to solve: Who took the photos? Burgess and Scott have not found the photographer and the person’s relatives. The CDs were bought at the sale in Massachusetts and were originally purchased to collect and archive vintage media, WCBS reported. Most of the photos that were bought were images of babies and vacations. The images from Ground Zero were believed to have been taken by a construction or recovery worker, WCBS reported. If anyone knows who took the photos, they’re being asked to contact Burgess and Scott at gzphotos@texfiles.com.