On Air Now

Listen Now

Weather

cloudy-day
60°
Mostly Cloudy
H 67° L 46°
  • cloudy-day
    60°
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Cloudy. H 67° L 46°
  • cloudy-day
    67°
    Today
    Mostly Cloudy. H 67° L 46°
  • heavy-rain-day
    55°
    Tomorrow
    Chance of Rain. H 55° L 31°
Listen
Pause
Error

News on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

Traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

Weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

National
Fan's plea for beer money nets thousands for children's hospital
Close

Fan's plea for beer money nets thousands for children's hospital

Fan's plea for beer money nets thousands for children's hospital
Photo Credit: Andrew Redington/Getty Images
HOYLAKE, ENGLAND - A golf fan holds a pint during the second round of The 143rd Open Championship at Royal Liverpool on in Hoylake, England.

Fan's plea for beer money nets thousands for children's hospital

A man who was looking for a way to raise a little beer money says he is donating the nearly $30,000 he got after holding up a sign on national TV to a children’s hospital.

>> Read more trending news  

Carson King took advantage of ESPN’s “College GameDay” which was broadcast from Ames, Iowa, last Saturday, to hold up a sign asking for money to restock his dwindling supply of Busch Light beer, according to a story from CNN.

King’s sign, which read, "Busch Light Supply Needs Replenished,” included details on how to donate to his Venmo account – a mobile payment service -- should anyone want to help.

According to King, within 30 minutes he had more than $400 in donations. When the donations reached $1,600, he tweeted that he’d donate the money to the University of Iowa’s Stead Family Children’s Hospital – minus the cost of a case of Busch.

The hospital sits adjacent to the school’s Kinnick Stadium. Often children who are able will watch the game from the hospital's windows.

Busch Light’s social media team saw King’s tweet about the donation and decided to make one of their own. The beer makers pledged to match King’s donation, and to supply him with some beer.

When Venmo saw King’s tweet and the offer from Busch to match it, the company vowed to do the same.

King, who works for on a rapid response team at Prairie Meadows Casino, attended Iowa State University for two years. His mother, Dana Archer-King of Prairie City, told the Des Moines Register that she knew what her son planned to do, but never imagined it would turn out as it did.

"He had told me about it last Wednesday and, probably like most moms, I just laughed and thought, 'Great, this will be my proudest moment,'" Archer-King told the Register.

"He's not a wealthy kid by any means," she said. "I'm not sure how many 24-year-olds would just give that kind of money away. We're all so in awe with what he's doing."

King said he has received more than $29,000 as of Wednesday morning. With his donation and those of Busch and Venmo, the hospital stands to get a $90,000 windfall.

Read More

News

  • A South Carolina family is grieving after a 7-year-old girl died while having her tonsils removed last week. Paisley Elizabeth Grace Cogsdill died Friday at a Greenwood hospital, WHNS reported. Paisley’s parents told the television station the girl’s heart stopped one minute into the tonsillectomy. The girl’s parents, Austin Cogsdill and Jasmine Cogsdill, said Paisley, a second-grader at Clinton Elementary School, was healthy and had shown no signs of medical issues, WHNS reported. “You don’t understand why these things happen but we know it was God’s plan and that’s the only thing that can get us through, cause we know it was God,” Paisley’s grandmother, Mary Beth Truelock, told the television station. An obituary posted online by Gray Funeral Home in Clinton described Paisley as “a gifted and talented student and a straight-A second-grader.' “Her full of ‘Joy’ attitude could be seen in everything she did, from playing T-ball and softball to performing hip-hop dance routines and gymnastics programs with her friends,” the obituary said. Autopsy results are expected sometime Tuesday, WHNS reported. A GoFundMe account was established to help pay for funeral expenses. The $30,000 goal was exceeded by Tuesday afternoon.
  • After watching a mother and her wheelchair-bound daughter tumble bloodied to the ground, Hamilton school bus driver Bob Thacker knew he had to do something to help. Thacker, a decade-long veteran of the city schools, dashed out of his bus to help mother Tonya Uhl and her special needs daughter Katelynn to right themselves and tend to their injuries. “She (Katelynn) was all bloody so I said, ‘I got to do something,’” Thacker said of the accident last month. The solution would be a wheelchair ramp, but Thacker said the Uhl family couldn’t get any local agencies to pay for and install it. “So I decided to build it myself,” he said, adding the ramp he created out of sturdy wood is detachable, portable and can be used on other stairs should the Uhls move from their Pleasant Avenue home. Uhl, whose seventh-grade daughter attends Garfield Middle School, said of Thacker, “he doesn’t know how much he did for us.” “It’s really appreciated. He went the extra mile to help us out like nobody else has before,” said Uhl. Becky Goosey, director of transportation for the city schools, praised Thacker for going far beyond his bus driving duties after witnessing how difficult it was for Uhl to push and pull Katelyn in her wheelchair up the steps of their home. “The student fell out of her wheelchair and had a significant injury to her mouth, and the parent had trouble getting up after she fell,” said Goosey. Joni Copas, spokeswoman for Hamilton Schools, said, “Bob is just one great example of our staff members going above and beyond the call of duty. “He saw a need and wanted to help Katelyn and her mother. He witnessed the daily struggle they had getting in and out of the house, so he took it upon himself and his own expense and built a ramp for them.” Thacker also arranged for another city resident to donate an electric, motorized wheelchair to Katelynn so she can more easily move about the neighborhood and school. “Sometimes, you just got to help people,” he said.
  • An Alabama man is charged with murder and other related charges after he allegedly opened fire on his ex-wife and her new boyfriend Monday evening following a Mardi Gras parade, killing the man and critically wounding his former wife. Anthony Orr, 49, also faces charges of attempted murder and discharging a firearm into an occupied vehicle, according to Mobile County Jail records. >> Related story: Man fatally struck by Mardi Gras float Mobile Police Chief Lawrence Battiste said officers were called around 6 p.m. to the scene downtown, where they found the man dead and the woman injured. The city is currently celebrating Mardi Gras, which originated in Mobile, and was in the middle of the biggest party the community sees each year. The gunfire erupted less than an hour before the Infant Mystics parade was set to roll, AL.com reported. The victims were shot a couple of blocks from where the day’s previous parade had ended. “We are currently looking for a black male by the name of Anthony Orr, who is the suspect in this shooting,” Battiste told reporters at the crime scene Monday night, according to video from Fox 10 in Mobile. “We believe that this shooting is domestic-related. He chose to deal with the domestic situation here at Mardi Gras.” Orr had threatened his ex-wife, who was riding on a float, from the parade route as the festivities were underway, Battiste said. The chief asked anyone in the public who knew Orr or spotted him to call police. “Don’t harbor him. Please notify us,” Battiste said. Orr was taken into custody around 10 p.m., Fox 10 reported. Court records obtained by the news station show Orr was arrested Feb 18, just six days before the shooting, on domestic violence charges. The documents indicate the victim, Orr’s ex-wife, told police he had beat her, kicking her in the face, in October 2018. Orr was released on bail three days before the double shooting, AL.com reported. “This is a prime example of, potentially, where somebody may not should have had access to bail because of the offense he committed,” Battiste said. “Once a person has identified themselves as a shooter, it’s kind of hard to get them to stop.” Anthony Orr is escorted to jail by police officers in the video below, courtesy of WKRG in Mobile.  Alabama legislators are seeking to pass a constitutional amendment denying bail to suspects accused of violent Class A felonies. The bill, which the Montgomery Advertiser reported was approved last week by the state House Judiciary Committee, is named after Aniah Blanchard, a 19-year-old college student who was abducted from an Auburn convenience store and killed in October. At the time of Blanchard’s abduction, the man accused of the crime, Ibraheem Yazeed, was free on $295,000 bond, the Advertiser reported. Yazeed, 29, had been charged with attempted murder, kidnapping, robbery and drug charges in a January 2019 attack on two men at a Montgomery hotel. He now faces the death penalty in Blanchard’s abduction and shooting death. “We really believe the constitutional amendment will speak to this type of issues that we’re dealing with tonight,” Battiste said. “We shouldn’t be dealing with something like this if this guy had a history that indicated he should have been denied bail.” Mobile Mayor Sandy Stimpson said Monday night that there were people who knew prior to the shooting that Orr had threatened his ex-wife and her new boyfriend. “There was enough information to be conveyed that this was an actual, valid threat. He was intending to carry out this threat,” Stimpson said. Battiste and James Barber, the city’s public safety director, told Fox 10 that Orr had threatened the victims Sunday night and Monday afternoon. He also actively tried to gain access to weapons throughout the day Monday, Barber said. “There are other people that knew there was a threat to kill the deceased, so it would have been very helpful if somebody had reached out to us. And maybe somebody had, but we haven’t been able to confirm that,” Stimpson said. “If you know that somebody has been threatened with their life and you know there’s a history of violence, you’ve got to tell us if you expect us to do something about it.” Police officials and the mayor tried to assuage paradegoers’ fear as the city prepared for Fat Tuesday, the final and biggest day of Mardi Gras season. “If anything, because of this situation, there is a heightened awareness on our part that we can’t let our guard down coming into the last day of Mardi Gras,” Stimpson said. “That’s when things can happen that you don’t expect to happen. But we have got everything that we have out there trying to make sure that everybody is safe.” >> Related story: Woman run over by Mardi Gras float dies The mayor urged the public to pray for the victims and their families. “How does your heart not break for those who have been shot?” he said. Court records obtained by AL.com show Orr’s divorce was finalized in September. In the woman’s March 2019 filing, she alleged he had been verbally, emotionally and physically abusive. The woman had obtained a protection from abuse order the year before, the news site reported. Orr pleaded guilty in August 2019 to resisting arrest, a charge that stemmed from a March incident in which his ex-wife called the Mobile County Sheriff’s Office to report he was breaking into her home. Deputies found him near the home, and when he refused to follow their commands, they stunned him with a Taser. “As we were helping Anthony Orr to his feet he made the statement he always wondered what a taser felt like and wondered if it really worked,” a deputy wrote in an arrest report, according to AL.com. “(Orr) stated that he is a believer now.”
  • A great white shark fitted last summer with a satellite tag has surprised researchers by showing up in the Gulf of Mexico and swimming past the mouth of the Mississippi River. The shark, a female named Unama’ki, has traveled 3,120 miles in 103 days, beginning in Nova Scotia, the Sun Herald reported. The 2,076-pound, 15-foot, 5-inch shark has been tracked by OCEARCH, a marine research group, according to WXXV. The shark has been lingering off the Louisiana coast and is heading toward Texas, according to the Sun Herald. “Is this a whole new piece to the white shark puzzle?” OCEARCH tweeted Monday. Earlier this month, Unama’ki was pinged about 100 miles from the Florida coast, Northwest Florida Daily News reported. In October, she was pinged off the coast of North Carolina near the Outer Banks, according to WVEC. Unama’ki was last pinged on satellite tracking at 7:12 a.m. Sunday, off Louisiana’s Marsh Island, according to OCEARCH. “She’s a shark on the move!” OCEARCH tweeted.
  • Ever wonder what kind of epic sports memorabilia David Ortiz has? Well, now is your chance to not only see it but also to own some of it. There will be an estate sale at the Weston home of the Red Sox legend Saturday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., WFXT reported. The address will be released after 9 a.m. Friday, according to Exceptional Estate Sales. of Sudbury, which is organizing the sale. Sports memorabilia will include items Ortiz collected during his major league career, with most of them from his days with the Boston Red Sox, the estate sale company wrote on its website. Other items for sale include a poker table, a billiards table, furniture, a Route 66-themed chrome high-top table and stools, hand-knotted Oriental rugs, designer clothing, a white queen-sized four-post bed with matching nightstands and a mirror dresser, a rowing machine and a Rolls Royce neon sign. Ortiz put the five-bedroom, seven-bathroom home up for sale in February 2019 but later took it off the market, according to Trulia.com. The house is 5,214 square feet, according to the website. Ortiz played in the major leagues for 20 seasons, spending 14 years in Boston until his retirement after the 2016 season. He is eligible for the Hall of Fame in 2021.
  • Thin Mints and Samoas are two of the flavors buyers of Girl Scout cookies find irresistible. However, police officials in Oregon said one consumer went a little too far to satisfy his cravings. Police said Camden Ducharme, 36, of Salem, is accused of buying cookies from a Girl Scout booth outside a Walmart using counterfeit money, The Oregonian reported. Ducharme was charged with theft and forgery for passing along counterfeit U.S. currency, according to the Salem Police Department. He was later released from the Marion County Correctional Facility, the Statesman Journal of Salem reported. Tiffany Brown said earlier this month, a man visited the booth she was running with her two daughters, the newspaper reported. Brown said the man asked a lot of questions and seemed “fidgety.' The man paid for a $5 box of Tagalongs with a $20 bill and received $15 in change, the Oregonian reported. Brown’s 13-year-old daughter, Ava, thought the bill looked odd, KPTV reported. “The bill didn’t look right, it was smaller, bluish tint and it just wasn’t the same as the rest of the bills,” Brown told the television station. Brown shared a photograph of the bill next to a legitimate one on Facebook, noting, “The troop takes the loss.” Salem police spokeswoman Lt. Debbie Aguilar said officers were able to use video surveillance to identify Ducharme, the Statesman Journal reported. When Ducharme returned Sunday to Walmart, store loss prevention officers contacted police and he was taken into custody. Police said they responded to one other incident in which Ducharme used counterfeit money to buy Girl Scout cookies., the Oregonian reported. “It’s not nice, it is not kind to other people and it is not fair,” Ava Brown told KPTV. “Us Girl Scouts work really hard and I am proud to say I am a Girl Scout.”