On Air Now

Listen Now


H 45° L 42°
  • heavy-rain-night
    Current Conditions
    Showers. H 45° L 42°
  • rain-day
    Showers. H 45° L 42°
  • cloudy-day
    Mostly Cloudy. H 54° L 38°

News on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Cops pose as utility workers to catch distracted drivers

Cops pose as utility workers to catch distracted drivers

Officers Pose as Utility Workers to Catch Distracted Drivers

Cops pose as utility workers to catch distracted drivers

Police in Marietta, Georgia, used an interesting tactic Wednesday to catch more than 100 drivers violating the Hands Free Georgia Act that prohibits texting or holding cell phones while driving.

>> Read more trending news 

Three Marietta officers dressed as city utility workers fanned out across the intersection of Cobb Parkway and Roswell Road near the Big Chicken and watched for motorists violating the hands-free law or not wearing their seat belts. When they spotted violators, the undercover cops radioed the vehicle descriptions to uniformed officers waiting in nearby parking lots, who then pulled over the vehicles.

The operation was coordinated by Marietta police with the help of the Cobb County Police Department and Georgia State Patrol. Marietta officer Jake Rakestraw said Wednesday’s operation began around 9:30 a.m. and ran until around 11:45 a.m.

Georgia state troopers wrote 29 tickets, and Marietta and Cobb police wrote 141 tickets and made three arrests. Two of the arrests were related to driver’s license issues and one was a person wanted for an earlier crime.

Sgt. Wayne Delk, spokesman with Cobb County police, said the traffic detail was done to remind drivers that the state’s hands-free law is still in effect and to reduce the number of collisions caused by distracted driving.

>> Trending: Cosmetics injuries send more than 4,000 kids to the ER each year

Georgia’s hands-free law went into effect July 1, 2018, and while it got lots of publicity at the time, some drivers may have returned to bad habits.

“People assume that if they are not getting pulled over for this law that it’s still OK to slip back into that habit of using their phone while they are driving,” Chuck McPhilamy, spokesman for Marietta police, said. “We’re asking the public to realize that the law is in effect for a reason. It’s there to protect you from an accident as well as save lives.”

McPhilamy added the 15 states that have passed similar laws have collectively experienced a 16% drop in traffic accidents in the two years after their laws went into effect.

Georgia’s law prohibits drivers from using their hands or parts of their body to hold or support a cell phone or other mobile device. Drivers are also banned from writing, sending or reading any text messages, emails or instant messages; browsing the web or using smart phone applications; watching a video or movie unrelated to GPS navigation; or recording a video.

Drivers are allowed to make and receive calls using hands-free technology such as a Bluetooth device or headset. Exceptions are also in place for when a driver is reporting a traffic crash or medical emergency; public safety and first responders who are performing their jobs; utility service employees or contractors acting within the scope of their duties; and when a vehicle is lawfully parked.

For the first hands-free offense, a driver is fined $50 and gets one point on their driver’s license. The second conviction will bring a $100 fine and add two points to a driver’s license. The third and subsequent convictions cost $150 and three points to that person’s license.

>> Related: Study: Georgia cellphone law reduced distracted driving

Wednesday’s traffic detail was another example of law enforcement agencies working together to remind drivers about the importance of obeying the hands-free law, Delk said.

“This is just one concerted effort to remind people that the law exists for a reason and we do want people to be safe,” he said. “We are as law enforcement officers are bound to enforce the law. This is not something we pick and choose.”

Read More


  • The remains of six victims of a deadly volcano eruption in New Zealand have been recovered. Sixteen people were killed on White Island when a volcano there unexpectedly erupted Monday, The Associated Press reported. Eight military specialists recovered six of the eight victims believed to be on the island, and the bodies will be taken to Auckland for identification, CNN reported. Due to toxic gases still being released from the volcano, the team had to wear protective suits and breathing gear to be on the island, the AP reported. The search had to end as air supplies ran low, the New York Times reported. An additional recovery mission is planned to find a tour guide and boat captain who had taken tourists to the island. At least one of them is expected to be in the water, but the other person’s location is unknown, the AP reported. Forty-seven tourists, many from a Royal Caribbean cruise, and guides were on the island when the volcano exploded. Many of the people who survived were burned. Fifteen tourists not from Australia are in burn units across the country with 11 listed as very critical. Thirteen Australians who were part of the tour have all returned to their home country, the AP reported. Skin banks are sending tissues to hospitals to help treat the burns, as medical teams from Australia, Britain and the U.S. travel to New Zealand to help treat patients, the AP reported.
  • A Minnesota man was sentenced Wednesday to more than 24 years in prison in the death of his 13-day-old son. Michael Herkal, 33, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder, nearly 16 months to the day after Apple Valley police responded to an Aug. 12, 2018, medical call for an infant not breathing, WCCO reported. The child died two days later, after doctors determined he had suffered a skull fracture and bleeding in his brain. Herkal was charged initially with felony assault and malicious punishment of a child, but three additional charges of murder were filed after authorities received the autopsy report, KARE11 reported. According to WCCO, Herkal initially told authorities his toddler pulled the newborn off the couch twice but later claimed the baby slipped from his hands and fell onto a coffee table during a diaper change. During his plea hearing, however, Herkal admitted he also shook the infant violently and slapped him, the TV station reported.
  • Major League Baseball announced substantial changes Thursday to its drug use and testing policy, multiple news outlets reported. In addition to removing marijuana from its “drugs of abuse” category – making it the first major US sports league to do so – the organization announced mandatory testing for the presence of opioids, cocaine, synthetic THC, LSD and fentanyl, ABC News reported. Per the policy revisions, players will still be tested for “natural cannabinoids” such as THC, CBD, and marijuana, but punishment for violations will now be treated similarly to those of the alcohol and violence policies, ABC News reported. 'Going forward, marijuana-related conduct will be treated the same as alcohol-related conduct under the Parties’ Joint Treatment Program for Alcohol-Related and Off-Field Violent Conduct, which provides mandatory evaluation, voluntary treatment and the possibility of discipline by a Player’s Club or the Commissioner’s Office in response to certain conduct involving Natural Cannabinoids,” the league, in association with its players union, stated. According to NPR, the policy changes will take effect during 2020 spring training.  “The opioid epidemic in our country is an issue of significant concern to Major League Baseball,” MLB Chief Legal Officer Dan Halem said in a prepared statement, adding, “It is our hope that this agreement - which is based on principles of prevention, treatment, awareness and education - will help protect the health and safety of our Players.” Read more here and here.
  • Seeking emergency mental health assistance could soon be as simple as dialing 988, federal regulators announced Thursday. The Federal Communications Commission formally began the process Thursday to designate 988 as a nationwide suicide prevention and mental health crisis hotline. “The three-digit number is really going to be a breakthrough in terms of reaching people in a crisis,” Dwight Holton, CEO of suicide prevention nonprofit Lines for Life, told USA Today. “No one is embarrassed to call 911 for a fire or an emergency. No one should be embarrassed to call 988 for a mental health emergency.' According to The Wall Street Journal, the new hotline is intended to simplify access to services available currently by dialing 1-800-273-TALK, the existing National Suicide Prevention Hotline. Once operational, dialing 988 would connect callers to the existing hotline and then route them to nearby crisis centers equipped to provide assistance. “We believe this historical and critical effort will turn the tide on reducing suicides and promote mental wellness in the United States,” said a statement from Kimberly Williams, chief executive of Vibrant Emotional Health, the nonprofit that administers the lifeline, The Journal reported. Read more here and here.
  • An emergency landing by a single-engine plane snarled traffic Thursday night on Interstate 5 in San Diego, multiple news outlets reported. Ian Gregor, public affairs manager for the Federal Aviation Administration, told KNSD the Cessna 182 made a hard landing on the southbound lanes around 7:15 p.m. Within 30 minutes authorities had re-opened two southbound lanes, KFMB reported. Carlsbad Fire Division Chief Mike Lopez told KNSD a man and a woman were on board traveling from the San Gabriel Airport in Los Angeles to McClellan-Palomar Airport in Carlsbad. According to KFMB, no injuries were reported, and the plane did not strike any motorists. “They did a pretty good job landing this thing,” Lopez told KNSD, adding, “The skill of that pilot, he did a stellar job.”
  • A Fort Gibson man recently showed off his blacksmith skills by taking first place in a competition television show. Nic Overton, 23, earned the top spot on the History Channel’s “Forged in Fire,” which is centered around blacksmith work. Along with bragging rights, Overton won a $10,000 prize. Overton told KOKI he’s been fascinated with blacksmithing since he was a child and crafted his first knife out of a railroad spike. He managed to turn his hobby into a career. He owns his own business called Nix Knives.