What You Need To Know

On Air Now

Listen Now


H 85° L 62°
  • cloudy-day
    Current Conditions
    Clear. H 85° L 62°
  • clear-day
    Clear. H 85° L 62°
  • clear-day
    Mostly Clear. H 82° L 62°

News on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Cold case: Who killed David Cox, Marine who inspired 'A Few Good Men'?

Cold case: Who killed David Cox, Marine who inspired 'A Few Good Men'?

Cold case: Who killed David Cox, Marine who inspired 'A Few Good Men'?
Former Marine David Cox was murdered in 1994. (

Cold case: Who killed David Cox, Marine who inspired 'A Few Good Men'?

The body of former Marine David Cox, whose story inspired “A Few Good Men,” was found in the Massachusetts woods nearly 25 years ago and two former Marines are now taking a new look into this unsolved murder.

>> Read more trending news

In April 1994, a canoeist paddling the Charles River as it wound through a preservation area, spotted a white high-top sneaker sticking out of a pile of pine branches. He took his canoe ashore to investigate.

And when he pulled back a branch, he made a startling discovery.

He found the body of 27-year-old David Cox, a former U.S. Marine, who had been missing from his home in Natick since January. Cox had been shot four times: once in the back of the head, and three times in his side.

Unsolved for 25 years

Twenty-five years later, the mystery of how Cox got into those woods and who shot him remains unsolved, but there is a new push to find his killer.

Mass State Police Sgt. John Fanning and Trooper Yuriy Bukhenik, both former Marines, are taking a fresh look at Cox’s death.

“It’s one of those things: never leave a brother behind. I feel like David has been left behind for 25 years,” Yuriy recently told WFXT reporter Bob Ward.

Fanning and Bukhenik are bringing modern day forensic expertise to the Cox investigation. But they are also bringing their years of military experience into the case.

And there is one fact that leaps out at them: Cox was wearing his U.S. Marines camouflage jacket over his black hoodedU.S. Marines sniper jacket. Both investigators said most former Marines don’t like wearing their military clothes in public. And Cox was no exception.

“David wore that field jacket and his Marine Corps sniper jacket for a reason that day, “ Fanning said. “David knew who he was going with he trusted that person.”

A few weeks ago, almost 25 years to the day Cox was slain, Fanning and Bukhenik took WFXT to the spot where his body was found. On a cold day, it took us about 20 minutes walking up and down winding hiking trails. Along the way, we heard the sound of gunshots; there are two shooting ranges in the area. Finally, after about a three-quarter mile trek, we found the scene. We felt like we were in the middle of nowhere.

This is the area, where investigators believe, Cox turned his back on his killer, and lost his life.

There is more to this crime scene.

The night before David disappeared, a snowstorm hit Southern New England. WFXT’s meteorologist, Kevin Lemanowicz, researched the weather conditions for Jan. 5, 1994, the day Cox was last seen alive.

Lemanowicz produced a chart revealing 8 inches of snow fell on Jan 4 in nearby Franklin. It was the first storm of the season, meaning the ground in Medfield was buried beneath 8 inches of new fallen snow when Cox and his killer entered those woods.

Cox walked into those woods wearing sneakers, not boots.

Why did David go into the woods? Why was he wearing his Marine Corps-issued jacket? Why was he wearing sneakers?

There is something else you need to know about this case.

“A Few Good Men”

When Cox was in the Marines, he was stationed at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. In 1986, Cox was involved with 10 other Marines in a “Code Red” hazing of another Marine. The incident resulted in courts martial for some of the Marines. Cox fought his charges and prevailed; he was honorably discharged years later. But this was a traumatic experience for him.

If the Code Red incident sounds familiar, there’s a good reason. This was the case that inspired the 1992 Hollywood blockbuster, “A Few Good Men.” Today, that film is best remembered for actor Jack Nicholson’s portrayal of a U.S. Marine colonel who declares at trial “You can’t handle the truth!”

The film is based on a true story, but some key facts were changed. Among them, the fate of the victim.

In the film, the victim of the hazing dies. But in reality, the victim survived and Cox was among the Marines who saved his life.

Cox was not happy with the film and he publicly spoke about a possible lawsuit with other Marines.

Cox lost his life before a lawsuit could ever be filed.

But did any of that have anything to do with his death?

The two Mass State Police investigators said there is no evidence supporting any link between the Code Red incident or the Hollywood film and Cox’s slaying.

Cox was last seen alive on the morning of Jan. 5, at the apartment he shared with his girlfriend in Natick.

The night before, Cox’s older brother, Steven, took him out for drinks at Houlihan’s on Route 9 in Framingham, to watch a basketball game.

Steven said his brother was surprised with the invitation to go out for drinks during a snow storm. And he added that David was not himself. “He was usually very vibrant and confident,” Steven said in an interview. “He just seemed a bit reserved that night.”

I asked Steven if something was bothering David. And he said that David seemed to be having problems with his girlfriend.

Steven said he last saw David at about 10:30 that night when he dropped his brother off at the apartment. Steven said he can’t remember if he said goodbye to David inside the apartment, he just remembers them parting ways.

The last person to see David was his girlfriend. She said goodbye to him at about 8 a.m. as she headed off to work. Jan. 5 was supposed to be a day of new beginnings. David was expecting a phone call that morning from UPS in Somerville about a full-time job. The call came at about 11:30, offering David the job, but he never got it. Instead that message was left on the machine, unheard until later in the day when David’s girlfriend played it back.

What happened to David?

David’s vehicle was parked outside the apartment suggesting that someone stopped by and gave him a ride to Medfield and the woods where he was killed.

David’s brother, Steven, thinks the killing had something to do with the Code Red.

“It has military written all over it. It’s too highly planed,” Steven said. “My feeling is, it was retribution.”

But retribution for what?

“What happened in the Corps. What happened in Gitmo,” Cox said.

But the Massachusetts State Police say that’s not likely.

“The Hollywood aspect was investigated, “ Trooper Bukhenik said. “The military connection was investigated and vetted out.”

The Cox brothers’ sister, Christine Cox, has spent the last 25 years thinking about her brother’s slaying and pushing for justice.

She agrees David’s slaying was carefully planned and orchestrated.

But she also believes it was staged. “To suggest this was military, I think, was trying to throw us off track,” Christine Cox said.

She and the Massachusetts State Police believe David Cox’s killer was someone close to him, someone he trusted. They believe if David was the victim of a hit, the murder would have taken place at the Natick apartment. Instead, David was driven several miles to Medfield, and then walked three-quarters of a mile into the woods where he was shot to death, and then he was covered in pine branches.

Why was Cox wearing sneakers in a snowstorm?

If David was taken out of his apartment at gunpoint, wouldn’t this U.S. Marine, at some point, have used his training and tried to save his life?

The killer may have convinced Cox to wear his rarely worn military jacket that morning.

And the fact that Cox was wearing sneakers after a snowstorm, not snow boots, indicates, David was not expecting anyone to stop by that morning, and he didn’t expect to be walking in the snow.

Only a trusted person could convince Cox to leave Natick for a walk in the woods, both Christine Cox and Massachusetts State Police investigators believe.

There is still much more to this case.

Steven Cox said his brother's death is still difficult to accept. "We were pretty close. Outside of losing a brother, I lost one of my best friends, " Steven said.

Christine Cox said she doesn’t matter where the facts lead. After 25 years, she wants justice.

“David’s life mattered. He was erased. This person erased his life, his future, “Christine said.

“I want the killer identified. Not to us, to the world. I want everybody to know who did it. I want him to pay for it.”

If you have any information about the killing of David Cox, call the Massachusetts State Police assigned to the Norfolk County district attorney’s office at 617-593-8840.

Read More


  • — Phil Collen, guitarist for the rock band Def Leppard, recently surprised a group of high school students who were tuned in for a virtual music lesson. Collen partnered with Yousician, a music education company, to join a Zoom class for music students at Long Island High School for the Arts in Syosset, New York. The 13 students didn’t know the British musician would be joining their lesson, reported. Collen started by performing his band’s 1987 hit “Pour Some Sugar On Me.' He then allowed the students to play their own renditions of the hit song and offered feedback. Collen also talked about his music journey and offered advice to the aspiring musicians: “It really comes down to putting the effort in, practicing and getting the technique down,' he said. “It’s all a learning curve. You gotta be you.” According to, the students were granted free access to the Yousician platform to continue developing their musical skills over the summer. The students will also receive a free signed Def Leppard shirt.
  • Protesters who took to the streets angry about the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis voiced their outrage and frustration but remained peaceful for hours before the violence erupted. At one point on Saturday, protesters in a group in Washington state started to approach a line of Seattle police, but organizers called the crowd back and urged them to protest peacefully. “[We’re] not thugs, [we’re] activists looking for change,” one protester said, according to KIRO-TV. Before things turned destructive, speakers shared their message, urging everyone to stand up to racism. But as frustration turned to violence, those who remained peaceful worried the message that brought them to the streets would be lost. “I’m out here to protest, not to burn our city. Not to throw rocks at these businesses who supported us all these years,” another protester told KIRO-TV. “I shouldn’t have to worry every day about every black man I know. But no. No destruction. Change,” Washington resident Anika Jones said. After the growing chaos led Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan to declare a civil emergency and announce a curfew for the entire city, a move that has been enforced in many cities nationwide, Durkan thanked those who protested without violence. 'I know the vast majority of today's demonstrators came together with the intention to protest, grieve, and commit themselves to justice. For most of today, the demonstrations were peaceful, and I thank all those who chose to exercise their right to protest without hurting others,” Durkan said. Cyrus Habib, Lt. Gov. of Washington, also thanked those who protested peacefully and reminded people that violence only takes away from their message. “To those engaging in the destruction of property -- enough. Violence undermines our cause and begets more violence, distracting from the point,” Habib wrote on Twitter. Some protesters have echoed that sentiment. “This isn’t helping anyone. This is not about George Floyd,' an activist told KIRO-TV. “This is about stealing, and it’s sad because it diminishes the real issue.”
  • Congressman John Lewis criticized the looting and violence that followed peaceful protests in Atlanta and other cities, a position that is bringing him praise and accusations that the Civil Rights-era activist is out of touch.  “We must continue to teach the way of peace, the way of love, the philosophy and the discipline of non-violence,” he said on MSNBC Saturday evening. “And never, ever give up on any of our brothers and sisters. We’re one people; we’re one family. “  Lewis, 80, posted a longer statement on his U.S. House website directly addressing protesters.  “To the rioters here in Atlanta and across the country: I see you, and I hear you,” he wrote. “I know your pain, your rage, your sense of despair and hopelessness. Justice has, indeed, been denied for far too long. Rioting, looting, and burning is not the way. Organize. Demonstrate. Sit-in. Stand-up. Vote. Be constructive, not destructive. History has proven time and again that non-violent, peaceful protest is the way to achieve the justice and equality that we all deserve.” Read more: ‘Atlanta Way’ challenged after violent night of protests A post on Twitter excerpting his statement was shared by Republican U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, celebrity chef Padma Lakshmi and former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley among others thanking Lewis for speaking out.  While there were many people praising the congressman, who was badly beaten during a march across Selma’s Pettus Bridge in 1965 and is considered one of the last living Civil Rights leaders, others said he wasn’t fully acknowledging that previous protests often turned violent because of police brutality and that it, along with racism and economic inequality, continue to persist.  User @RykerStevenson replied: “I love you, you are a hero in my family but we have organized, sat in, stood up, voted. We’ve been doing that for decades. Maybe what the country needs is to know that if you murder a black man in the street then every street in major cities across the country will burn.”  Another person on Twitter, @SmizeEyes, wrote: “Look how well that approach turned out for Martin Luther King Jr. & you. I’m sure you still feel the mental & physical scars from that.” The protests, which swept across Atlanta for the past two nights, are sparked by outrage over the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis. Marchers have also voiced concerns about the death of Breonna Taylor, who was killed when police in Louisville, Ky., erroneously executed a search on her home. The shooting death of Ahmaud Arbery in Brunswick, especially prosecutors’ conduct in that case, has also been criticized.  All of this is happening while many feel the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has led to job losses and limitations on daily life that affected African-Americans and other people of color more deeply.  “But what do you do when you've tried all those things and nothing has changed?” Christina M. Brooks wrote. “Trump and the Republicans sit on legislation or ignore it. Booth for gun control and civil rights. They revoke laws that even in a remedial way try to level the playing field. What more can people do?” Several said non-violent protests have proven ineffective.  Despite disagreement with Lewis’s statements, people who appeared to be condescending or disrespectful toward the congressman were generally rebuked.  Complete coverage: Atlanta protests Lewis’s MSNBC interview: 
  • The manned SpaceX docked with the International Space Station on Sunday morning, a day after the rocket lifted off and sent two astronauts into space for the first time from the U.S. in almost a decade. Veteran astronauts Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken flew in the first launch of astronauts by a private company, docking at 10:16 a.m. EDT 18 hours, 58 minutes after Saturday’s launch. Before opening the hatch and entering the station, Behnken and Hurley will conduct a series of pressure and leak checks to ensure their safety. Then they will join NASA astronaut Chris Cassidy and two Russian cosmonauts aboard the station, The Washington Post reported. The spacecraft made its rendezvous with the space station, which was traveling in an orbit at 17,500 mph, the newspaper reported. The mission went smoothly, ground officials said, after Saturday’s launch was witnessed by a crowd that included President Donald Trump.
  • Editor’s note: This story has been updated.  Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms on Sunday extended the city’s curfew, which will take effect at 9 p.m. and continue until sunrise Monday. Bottoms instituted the curfew Saturday in the wake of a violent protest on Friday that led to damage at businesses and attractions in downtown Atlanta and Buckhead.  The announcement came about noon and a few hours after Bottoms said in national television interviews that 157 people were arrested in protests that again turned violent Saturday night.  The curfew extension was announced on the city’s official Facebook page.  In her Sunday morning interviews on CBS and NBC, Bottoms also was critical of President Donald Trump, saying harsh rhetoric from him is making the situation worse. Cities across the nation, including Atlanta, have been gripped by demonstrations against police violence, and in particular the death of George Floyd, a Minnesota man who died after a police officer used his knee to pin Floyd to the ground by the neck. The officer who pinned Floyd has been charged with third degree murder and manslaughter, and three officers present have been fired. Complete coverage: Atlanta protests “I think that there is a place in America for peaceful protest, and we know that peaceful protests have had a history of changing things in this country,” Bottoms said on CBS’ Face The Nation. “But it has to be organized and it has to be for a purpose. And when you have violent eruptions like we’ve seen across America, then we lose sight of even what we are talking about. Yesterday, all we talked about was how our cities were erupting across America, but we weren’t even talking about George Floyd and so many others who have been killed in this country.” Bottoms said the 9 p.m. curfew in Atlanta and deployment by Gov. Brian Kemp of National Guard forces “helped tremendously” in quelling unrest. Still, protests led to property damage, arrests and some injuries. Atlanta protests: More National Guard troops to deploy ahead of new planned protests in Georgia Bottoms said outside groups were instigators in turning what started Friday as a peaceful demonstration into a violent one. “Obviously, we are the home of the civil rights movement. So, we … have a long history of protest in our city,” Bottoms said. “But our organizers in Atlanta, many of whom don’t agree with me quite often as mayor, were very clear that this, by and large, after things turned violent, was not an Atlanta-based protest. It looked differently racially in our city than our normal protests looked. … So, we don’t know who they were, but many of them were not locally based.” Atlanta police haven’t identified outside groups and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is seeking more information about those arrested at the protests so far. Bottoms also was asked about comments from Trump in which he told “liberal” mayors and governors to get tougher and threatening to deploy the military. Trump also tweeted the phrase “when the looting starts, the shooting starts,” a reference to comments in the 1960s from a former Florida police chief. Trump also has said he supports peaceful protests, called Floyd’s killing a tragedy and said he stands with Floyd’s family. Asked about Trump making an Oval Office address to the nation, Bottoms said she wants to hear leadership from the president. “What I’d like to hear from the president is leadership,” Bottoms said in an interview on NBC’s Meet The Press. “And I would like to hear a genuine care and concern for our communities and where we are with race relations in America. We know that when he spoke on Charlottesville he made the matter worse. And we’re already — we’re — And we’re well-beyond the tipping point in America. And it’s as my grandmother used to say, ‘If you don’t have anything good to say, sometimes you just shouldn’t say anything at all.’”
  • The manned SpaceX docked with the International Space Center on Sunday morning, a day after the rocket lifted off and sent two astronauts into space for the first time from the U.S. in almost a decade. Veteran astronauts Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken flew in the first launch of astronauts by a private company, docking at 10:16 a.m. EDT 18 hours, 58 minutes after Saturday’s launch. Before opening the hatch and entering the station, Behnken and Hurley will conduct a series of pressure and leak checks to ensure their safety. Then they will join NASA astronaut Chris Cassidy and two Russian cosmonauts aboard the station, The Washington Post reported. The spacecraft made its rendezvous with the space station, which was traveling in an orbit at 17,500 mph, the newspaper reported. The mission went smoothly, ground officials said, after Saturday’s launch was witnessed by a crowd that included President Donald Trump.