On Air Now

Listen Now

Weather

cloudy-day
48°
Clear
H 67° L 45°
  • cloudy-day
    48°
    Current Conditions
    Clear. H 67° L 45°
  • clear-day
    67°
    Today
    Clear. H 67° L 45°
  • clear-day
    70°
    Tomorrow
    Mostly Clear. H 70° L 53°
Listen
Pause
Error

News on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

Traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

Weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

National
Boy, 8, bitten on head by mountain lion, officials say
Close

Boy, 8, bitten on head by mountain lion, officials say

Boy, 8, bitten on head by mountain lion, officials say
Photo Credit: Colorado Parks and Wildlife
An 8-year-old boy was bitten on the head Wednesday night by a mountain lion, Colorado wildlife officials said.

Boy, 8, bitten on head by mountain lion, officials say

An 8-year-old boy was bitten on the head Wednesday night by a mountain lion, Colorado wildlife officials said.

>> Read more trending news

The boy was jumping on a trampoline with his brother around 7:30 p.m. when a friend called to him from a nearby house, Colorado Parks and Wildlife said in a release. When the boy ran to visit the friend, he was attacked by the mountain lion.

“The kid was running, and it probably triggered the lion’s natural response to a prey animal running,” Mark Lamb, wildlife manager, said in a release. “We all hope that the child will be alright, and you just hate to see this occur."

The boy’s brother ran inside and told their father something was wrong. The father came out, found the animal on top of his son and scared off the mountain lion. 

“He did what a father would do, run out and protect his son knowing that he was in trouble,” Jason Clay, parks spokesman, told KCNC. “The father saved his son’s life.”

The boy was taken to a hospital, where he was in serious but stable condition, KCNC reported

Because the animal attacked a human, it must be euthanized, wildlife officials said. They set traps and used dogs to try and track the mountain lion. 

On Thursday, a homeowner realized one of his goats was missing, saw two mountain lions and called wildlife officials.

Officers were already in the area, which was about a mile from where the boy was attacked. They captured and euthanized the animals, which were about 12 months old and 65 pounds. A necropsy will be conducted to determine if they are the same lions involved in the boy’s attack.

“That is how we would be able to confirm with absolute certainty that we got the mountain lion from the attack,” wildlife officials said.

Because the mountain lions were feeding on livestock, they can be euthanized. If a mountain lion is captured alive in a trap, it will be kept alive until DNA samples are tested. If the results are negative, the lion will be relocated, officials said. 

Officials are still monitoring mountain lion activity in the area but do not have plans to actively search for them.

Mountain lions have attacked humans 22 times since 1990, with three attacks coming this year, officials said. A trail runner was attacked Feb. 4 and there was another attack Aug. 10. The last year there had been a mountain lion attack was 2016. The last time there were three attacks in a year was 1998.

“We don’t want people to panic, they are very aware of all the wildlife that lives around them, but the proper precautions need to be taken,” Lamb said in a statement. “There are obligations that people must be committed to for living responsibly with wildlife.”

Three more mountain lions were seen on the property where the goats went missing Friday, but no more goats have gone missing since.

Read More

News

  • A man is facing murder charges after authorities in England discovered dozens of bodies in a truck container in Essex, police said. >> Read more trending news  According to the BBC, the bodies of 39 people, including 38 adults and one teen, were discovered early Wednesday at an industrial park in Grays. Police arrested the truck's 25-year-old driver, a man from Northern Ireland whose name was not released, in connection with the deaths, the network reported. North Essex police Chief Superintendent Andrew Mariner called the incident 'tragic,' The Associated Press reported. “We are in the process of identifying the victims; however, I anticipate that this could be a lengthy process,' he said, according to the news service. Investigators said the truck, which came from Bulgaria, arrived in England on Saturday. Read more here or here. Please check back for updates to this developing story.
  • Registered sex offenders in Butts County, Georgia, are suing to stop the Sheriff’s Office from putting signs in their yards to discourage trick-or-treaters ahead of Halloween. >> Read more trending news  The suit, filed in U.S. District Court in Macon, asks the court to order the agency to stop the practice, which began last year with deputies planting signs that read: “NO TRICK-OR-TREAT AT THIS ADDRESS!! A COMMUNITY SAFETY MESSAGE FROM BUTTS COUNTY SHERIFF GARY LONG.” Deputies put up some of the signs while others among the county’s 200 registered sex offenders were told to display one themselves or face unspecified trouble, according to the complaint. A hearing is set for Thursday at 9:30 a.m. for a judge to decide whether to bar the signs this year. Long intends to fight for the signs. The sheriff said his agency decided to put up the warnings last year because the “Halloween on the Square” event in Jackson had been canceled, causing more children than normal to go door to door for their candy. “Regardless of the Judge’s ruling this Thursday,” the sheriff wrote on Facebook, “I WILL do everything within the letter of the Law to protect the children of this Community.” The suit — filed by registered sex offenders Christopher Reed, Reginald Holden and Corey McClendon — said deputies had violated the law by trespassing to put up signs without permission. The plaintiff’s attorneys, Mark Yurachek and Mark Begnaud, argue that forcing the men to leave the signs up in their yards was tantamount to “compelling speech,” which runs afoul of the U.S. Constitution’s First Amendment. The suit also seeks a trial and for a jury to award the plaintiffs compensation for the stress, fear and humiliation the signs caused last year.
  • With drive and charisma, he helped transform a game': That's the reasoning behind the U.S. Postal Service choosing golfer Arnold Palmer to honor with a new stamp. >> Read more trending news  According to agency officials, the stamp features an action photograph of Palmer at the 1964 U.S. Open at the Congressional Country Club in Bethesda, Maryland.  According to the Golf Channel, Palmer won seven majors and had 62 PGA Tour wins. He was the first golfer to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom and 'was the most beloved golfer of all time.' The Palmer stamp is part of a new collection issued for 2020. The Postal Service said it celebrates people, events and cultural milestones unique to U.S. history each year with new stamps. The 2020 crop includes stamps featuring the Lunar New Year, a heart, journalist Gwen Ifill, wild orchids, the state of Maine, the Harlem Renaissance and more.
  • The daughter of gospel recording artist and songwriter Micah Stampley has died at age 15. >> Read more trending news  Mary Stampley died Tuesday after a seizure. No other information was available about her health history. The singer, who has been nominated for several Dove and Stellar Awards, lives in Fayetteville, Georgia. He and his wife, Heidi, own a cafe, Orleans Brews and Beignets. Stampley’s 2005 debut CD, “The Songbook of Micah,” debuted at No. 3 and included hits like “War Cry” and “Take My Life.” Arrangements are pending. 'Please keep their family in your prayers and respect their privacy as they deal with this traumatic event,' spokesman David Robinson said in a statement.
  • A woman is recounting a terrifying and vicious dog attack at a park in Pineville, North Carolina, Monday and when police tried to seize that dog, the owner took off, leading police on a slow-speed chase for miles.  >> Read more trending news  Abryana Heggins said she remembers all the thoughts that were rushing through her mind as a huge dog attacked her at a Pineville dog park.  'I just kept thinking 'What's happening? Why is this happening? How am I gonna get this dog off of me,'' Heggins said.  She said it all started when a very large dog owned by Terilyn Jackson started attacking a husky in the park.  'At first, he grabbed the husky by the back of its neck and then, grabbed its tail and started shaking its head aggressively,' Heggins said. 'The woman got a whistle and blowing at him.' She and her friend Jaylen rushed to get their dogs out of the park, but suddenly, she said she felt pressure on her arm.  'I just ended up being dragged across the ground by the dog, and he started shaking and locked onto my arm and there's people yelling, and she's yelling and Jaylen is trying to rip the dog off my arm,' Heggins said.  Her friend jumped on top of the dog and fought it until Pineville police arrived. Officers told Jackson they needed to take her dog into custody, but they said she took her dog and drove off.  Officers turned on their lights and sirens and followed her. They said she drove the speed limit the entire time, but refused to stop.  At one point, they said she tried to hit their patrol car. Six miles later, she arrived at an animal hospital on Archdale Drive in Charlotte.  Eventually, police arrested Jackson.  'I could have been an 8-year-old or a child and that would be worse than what I got or Jaylen,' Heggins said. Her friend Jaylen suffered several bites and broke a finger during all of this.  The dog is under what is called a 'rabies quarantine.' Animal control officials are monitoring it while police look into its background and decide if it should be put down. 
  • Pete Burdon received a call from his daughter about a post circulating on Facebook that was getting a lot of attention.  >> Read more trending news  Gunnery Sgt. John Guglielmino, a Marine Corps veteran from Clay County, Florida was sick in the hospital and his daughter’s final plea was to get as many visitors as she could to say goodbye to her dad.  “I contacted her right away and I said would this be a good time to go over there,” said Pete Burdon, a retired Navy civilian who spent 37 years working with the Navy. Burdon said he responded to the call because it felt like it was important to say goodbye to a fellow veteran, even if he didn’t know him personally. Last week he gave him a hat and a hero’s salute. “When I joked with him you can see that he tried to smile and then he tried to salute after he put that hat on, that was really a touching moment for me,” Burdon said.  His daughter Katherine Boccanelli told me her father served three tours in Vietnam. She said he suffered a stroke back in April and he was diagnosed with cancer from exposure to Agent Orange. She didn’t want him to feel alone with his last few days on earth so she put the post out on social media.  What she didn’t expect was to see the outpour from the community.  “For her it was a step she didn’t know was going to happen when she put it out there, about a 100 people showed up in that short time,” Burdon said.  Burdon says he said goodbye to Guglielmino in the hospital and he’ll be there tomorrow to say his final farewell at the funeral.  The funeral will be Wednesday at 11 a.m. at Crossroads to Victory Church in Raiford, Florida.  Guglielmino’s family says any veterans who visited who wanted to come out and pay their respects are welcome to attend. To contribute to the funeral services, click here.