On Air Now

Listen Now

Weather

clear-day
64°
Sunny
H 87° L 62°
  • clear-day
    64°
    Current Conditions
    Sunny. H 87° L 62°
  • clear-day
    82°
    Afternoon
    Sunny. H 87° L 62°
  • clear-day
    83°
    Evening
    Sunny. H 87° L 62°
Listen
Pause
Error

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

National
Baby cut from slain mother’s womb opens eyes for first time since hospitalization
Close

Baby cut from slain mother’s womb opens eyes for first time since hospitalization

Infant Cut From Slain Mother’s Womb Opened Eyes For First Time Since Hospitalization

Baby cut from slain mother’s womb opens eyes for first time since hospitalization

A newborn hospitalized in grave condition after police said he was cut from his slain mother’s womb last month has opened his eyes for the first time, according to multiple reports.

>> Read more trending news

Police said the boy’s mother, 19-year-old Marlen Ochoa-Lopez, was killed April 23 by a woman she met through a Facebook group geared toward young mothers. Authorities said Clarisa Figueroa, 46, called 911 after cutting the baby from his mother’s body to falsely claim she’d given birth to a child who was not breathing. Tests later confirmed the boy was not Figueroa’s.

>> 3 charged in connection with slain pregnant woman found with baby cut from womb

The child, who family members have named Yovanny Jardiel, remained hospitalized Tuesday in critical condition, according to WMAQ-TV. He is not expected to survive.

Cecilia Garcia, a student pastor who has been helping Ochoa-Lopez’s family, told CNN she was photographing the baby Sunday as his father, Yovany Lopez, held him at the hospital.

"We were just praying and praying, and he opened his eyes,” Garcia told CNN. “His dad said, ‘Oh my God, he opened his eyes!'"

She shared images of Lopez and his son early Monday on Facebook.

"We've been blessed, although this is a really bad tragedy,” Garcia told CNN. “They're such a loving and humble family and it's just so wrong what happened to them."

Authorities said Figueroa plotted for months to get a newborn following the death by natural causes of her adult son, The Associated Press reported. Prosecutors said she strangled Ochoa-Lopez with a coaxial cable while her daughter, 24-year-old Desiree Figueroa, showed the pregnant woman a photo album of Clarisa Figueroa’s late son.

>> Woman faked pregnancy for months before killing mother-to-be, cutting baby from womb, reports say

Authorities have charged both Figueroas with one count each of first-degree murder and aggravated battery to a child. Clarisa Figueroa’s boyfriend, 40-year-old Piotr Bobak, was also arrested on one count of concealment of a homicide.

Police said first responders found Yovanny Jardiel blue after Clarisa Figueroa reported he was not breathing on April 23, according to The Associated Press. They tried to resuscitate the infant and transported the boy to a nearby hospital, where police said he was in grave condition.

When Figueroa went to the hospital, doctors who examined her found "no signs consistent with a woman who had just delivered a baby." She also had blood on her arms, hands and face that authorities later determined was from Ochoa-Lopez, prosecutors said.

Close

Baby cut from slain mother’s womb opens eyes for first time since hospitalization

It was not clear whether the hospital contacted police. In a statement issued Friday, Christ Medical Center in suburban Oak Lawn declined to comment, citing federal and state regulations. Oak Lawn police said they were not contacted about Figueroa by the medical center or any other agency, including the Chicago Police Department.

Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart has asked the Department of Child and Family Services to determine whether hospital officials followed proper reporting procedures after Figueroa and the baby were brought to the hospital, WLS-TV reported.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read More

News

  • Actor Aron Eisenberg, who played Nog on 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine,' has died, reports say. He was 50 years old. >> Read more trending news  According to the official 'Star Trek' website and Fox News, Eisenberg's wife, Malissa Longo, first shared the news in an emotional Facebook post Saturday night. 'It is with extreme regret and sadness to announce that my love and best friend, Aron Eisenberg, passed away earlier today,' Longo wrote. 'He was an intelligent, humble, funny, emphatic soul. He sought to live his life with integrity and truth.' She added: 'He made me (and still makes me) want to be the best human I can possibly be, because he always strove to be the best human he could be. His resilience and willingness to learn was and is an inspiration.
  • Parents in one Georgia community say their kids' football games were canceled Saturday after two coaches got into a fight on the field. >> Read more trending news  WSB-TV's Alyssa Hyman was in South Fulton County, where an upset mom contacted WSB-TV after her son was sent home Saturday. LaPorschia Brown said her son plays with the Old National Knights Team, which is run by the city of South Fulton Parks and Recreation Department. Brown said Xavier's coach called her Saturday after she dropped him off to say he needed to be picked back up after the heated physical fight broke at Old National Park – between the adults. 'I get a call from one of his other coaches saying that I need to pick him up,' Brown said. 'It shut down an entire game. A couple of moms were really mad, like myself.' Brown said when she got to the park, police were at the scene, along with furious parents. Video appears to show a group of adults shouting and shoving each other as the kids look on.  The league ended up canceling all the games for the day, and police shut down the park due to safety concerns.  Hyman spoke to police, who said the park ranger unit responded to reports of a dispute between parents and coaches. A spokesperson said no one was arrested since police couldn't determine who started the fight.  Brown said she is frustrated and disappointed and expected more from her son's coaches. 'I know my son looks up to them. He doesn't have a father in his life,' Brown said. 'I thought I was putting people in his life that were good for him, but apparently, I was wrong.' Brown said angry parents are one thing, but disappointed kids are another. She said kids travel in from other states for some of the games and practice for them at least three times a week. 'I just feel like that's sad because the boys look forward to this, you know?' Brown said. 'Apologize to him. Don't apologize to me. He's the one that was hurt.' Hyman contacted the league commissioner, who sent the following statement:  'We are aware of the incident. Our city of South Fulton park rangers responded. We are working through the details of what transpired this afternoon. As we gather additional details, we will consider what additional steps may be taken. It is always our first priority ensure the safety of all of our patrons, citizens, youth and families.
  • An Atlanta mother is accused of chasing two teens with a bat at her son's bus stop and attacking one of them, police say. >> Read more trending news  She's now in jail, and police are looking for her son.  Police told WSB-TV's Tyisha Fernandes that Tiara Jones got involved in a fight between her son and two other Grady High School teens after the boys exchanged threatening messages on Instagram on Monday morning. Police said someone sent a 'spoof' message, pitting certain students at Grady High School against each other. Jones' son, Dashun McDonald, confronted the other two about the message at their bus stop, police said. Fernandes spoke to parent Alycia Aldridge, who said her son didn't even know McDonald. 'My son told him, 'First of all, I don't know you,' and he kind of backed down,' Aldridge said.  When the boys got to school, officials had heard about what happened and called them into the office.  'It was supposed to be squashed,' Aldridge said. 'They apparently bumped hands or shook hands, whatever it was, and went their separate ways.'  Later that afternoon, when the friends were walking home, they said McDonald approached them again, this time with his mom.  Aldridge said Jones accused the boys of trying to fight her son. Jones then went to her car, popped the trunk and pulled out a bat, Aldridge said. 'She's twirling the bat, telling them she's going to bust him in his head,' Aldridge said. 'You don't get to chase people's children and approach them with bats.' The boys got away and called 911, authorities said. Police took a report, but didn't arrest Jones right away.  The next morning, police said Jones showed up at the bus stop again and encouraged her son to fight. A student recorded the fight on a cellphone.  The video shows Jones trying to jump into the fight, and when a student wouldn't let her, she grabbed him by the hair and pushed him to the ground, WSB-TV reported. Students broke up the fight and got on the bus to go to school, but police said Jones followed the bus and told her son to fight the boy again.  Another video shows a school police officer thrown to the ground while trying to break up the fight, WSB-TV reported. Parent Shearee Pittman said the entire incident never should have happened.  'Had Atlanta police went to her Monday when I asked them to, just to arrest her for the stalking, none of this would have taken place Tuesday,' Pittman said. 'She wouldn't have been able to jump on that young man, those children wouldn't have been subjected to what they had to see, and she probably wouldn't be in jail.' 
  • A Canadian woman's video of two grizzlies duking it out on a British Columbia highway is going viral. >> Read more trending news  According to CTV News, Cari McGillivray shared the clip of the battling bears, which she spotted near Stewart on the Stewart Cassiar Highway, in a Facebook post Friday. 'Don’t normally post on here but thought I’d share this incredibly rare and amazing moment with all you guys of these grizzlies fighting!' McGillivray captioned the footage, which had racked up 550,217 views and 17,000 shares by Sunday morning. 'Keep a sharp eye out for the little wolf that is observing them in the distance!' 'Don’t normally post on here but thought I’d share this incredibly rare and amazing moment with all you guys of these grizzlies fighting!' McGillivray captioned the footage, which had racked up 550,217 views and 17,000 shares by Sunday morning. 'Keep a sharp eye out for the little wolf that is observing them in the distance!' She added on Instagram: 'Came to see bears fishing. Left with this amazing memorable moment! Still feeling the high from seeing these two majestic animals fighting!' Commenters called the video 'awesome' and 'incredible.' 'It's one of the most amazing scenes of nature I've seen,' Facebook user Leeanne Willoughby wrote. 'National Geographic stuff here.' 'Interesting to watch the argument!' added Jackie Wolski. 'Gotta finish it! See it my way!' Read more here.
  • Authorities are searching for a missing 2-year-old boy who may be with his 'armed and dangerous' father, the California Highway Patrol and Merced County Sheriff's Office said in an Amber Alert released Saturday. >> Read more trending news  AMBER ALERT – CHILD ABDUCTION – MERCED COUNTY – ARMED & DANGEROUSATWATER, CA – On September 21, 2019 the Merced County... Posted by Merced County Sheriff's Office on Saturday, September 21, 2019 According to KTLA, police believe Steven Weir, 32, abducted John Weir from Merced County, where they were last spotted Friday evening. The pair 'could possibly be heading to the Tuolumne or Calaveras County areas,' the Sheriff's Office said in a Facebook post. Authorities described John Weir as a blond-haired, blue-eyed boy who was last seen wearing a blue T-shirt with tan shorts. Steven Weir, who is 5-foot-10 and weighs 300 pounds, has brown hair and eyes, the Amber Alert said. He was wearing a blue T-shirt with cargo shorts and may be traveling in a red 2005 Hyundai Elantra with California tag 5SKT544, police said. Authorities are urging anyone who sees the Weirs or their vehicle to call 911. Read more here or here.
  • A 3-year-old Texas boy is dead after police said his parents mistakenly left him in a hot car outside their San Antonio home. >> Read more trending news  According to WOAI-TV, San Antonio police responded to the house about 5 p.m. Saturday, hours after the family of four had returned home from a T-ball game about 1 p.m. Police believe that the parents became distracted after getting the boy's 6-year-old brother out of the car and accidentally left the toddler inside the vehicle. Meanwhile, outside temperatures climbed into the mid-90s, WOAI reported.  'One parent thought the other parent had grabbed both of the children, and, in fact, only the 6-year-old had been taken out of the car,' San Antonio police Lt. Jesse Salame said, according to ABC News. 'By the time they realized it several hours had passed, and when they got the child out of the vehicle, he was not responsive.' Paramedics tried but were unable to revive the boy, WOAI reported. Police called the death 'a tragic or horrific accident,' according to the TV station. Read more here or here.