ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
71°
Partly Cloudy
H 88° L 70°
  • cloudy-day
    71°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 88° L 70°
  • cloudy-day
    85°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 88° L 70°
  • cloudy-day
    86°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 88° L 70°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Local
Stepmom accused of starving daughter will represent herself in death penalty case
Close

Stepmom accused of starving daughter will represent herself in death penalty case

Stepmom accused of starving daughter will represent herself in death penalty case
Photo Credit: KENT D. JOHNSON / KDJOHNSON@AJC.COM

Tiffany Moss and Emani Moss

Stepmom accused of starving daughter will represent herself in death penalty case

Jury selection will continues tomorrow in the death penalty case of a Gwinnett mother accused of starving her 10-year-old stepdaughter to death.

Tiffany Moss will represent herself as Gwinnett County prosecutors seek the death penalty against her. Moss faces murder and child cruelty charges for allegedly starving 10-year-old Emani Moss to death and then burning her body in 2013.

Channel 2 Gwinnett County Bureau Chief Tony Thomas  was inside the courtroom all day Monday following jury selection.

“We are going to talk about some things today that aren't the normal conversations,” District Attorney Danny Porter told the potential jurors.


TRENDING STORIES:


Moss is representing herself in the trial and asked very few questions during the first day of jury selection. 

Moss could face the death penalty if convicted of starving Emani Moss to death in 2013. Her husband has already entered a plea deal to similar charges.

Day One of the trial has exposed how tough it could be to find a jury. Several hundred people have been called for questioning. Dozens have already been excused because of conflicts or travel plans.

While many prospective jurors said they could consider either the death penalty of life in prision, at least one said no way considering the crime.

Moss has not indicated how many witnesses she might call for her defense. Prosecutors said they have a list of 22 people including her husband, who agreed to testify as part of his deal. 

The judge, prosecutors and Moss are expected to questions potential jurors for several more days before beginning testimony in the trial. 

BACKGROUND

As described by law enforcement, the brutal death of 10-year-old Emani Moss is one of the most notorious cases of child abuse in Georgia history. The young girl weighed only 32 pounds when her charred body was found in a dumpster outside the apartment where she lived.

Moss has said she is leaving her fate in God’s hands, rather than the two experienced public defenders who were initially assigned to represent her. They work for the state’s capital defender office, which is credited as a primary reason no one has received a death sentence in Georgia in more than five years.

The last time a death sentence was handed down by a Georgia jury was March 2014 in Augusta against Adrian Hargrove, who committed a triple murder. When asked why death sentences have become so rare, prosecutors and defense attorneys agree with Mauldin’s assessment: The availability of a life-without-parole sentence is seen by many as more acceptable.

Without a skillful and cohesive defense, Moss could break the drought and receive Georgia’s first death sentence in years.

Nationally, views about the death penalty have also been changing. Over the past decade, eight states abolished capital punishment through court rulings, moratoria issued by governors and repeals at the ballot box or in the Legislature.

And there have even been some signals of shift in a law-and-order state like Georgia. Last month, a bipartisan group of lawmakers introduced a bill to abolish the death penalty here. It was introduced too late to move this session but will be up for consideration when lawmakers gather again next year.

But the death penalty still remains on the books in Georgia and this week it’s staring Moss in the face.

Brad Gardner and Emily Gilbert, the two capital defenders initially assigned to represent Moss, have said she stopped talking to them months ago. Hutchinson has assigned them to be “standby counsel,” and they sit in the courtroom gallery ready to assist Moss if she asks for help.

During trial, it’s possible the capital defenders could ask Hutchinston to reconsider his decision. In 2008, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that defendants found competent to stand trial are not necessarily competent to represent themselves if they can’t conduct their own defense. The court said the trial judge should made such a decision in the interest of achieving a fair trial.

If Moss wants to end her case, she can do so now.

District Attorney Danny Porter said he’s offered Moss the same plea agreement he offered her husband. If she pleads guilty to Emani’s murder, Porter will withdraw the death penalty and allow her to be sentenced to life without parole. But that offer stands only until a jury is selected, expected sometime this week, he said.

Porter also told Hutchinson that the last time he broached such an agreement with Moss, “she emphatically stated she did not want to discuss a plea.”

Background information was written by Bill Rankin for our partners at the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. 

Read More

News

  • A mother duck quacked for help after her ducklings fell into a Pennsylvania sewer Saturday morning. >> Watch the news report here Pittsburgh firefighters and police came to the rescue of the ducklings trapped in the sewer along Kalida Drive in Larimer. >> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news  While the ducklings' mother watched, Pittsburgh police Officer Cassie Lee jumped into the sewer and rescued all 10 ducklings. Mom looked to make sure all her ducklings were accounted for and then walked away with her babies. >> Read more trending news  This is the second day in a row ducklings were rescued from a sewer in Pittsburgh. Read more here.
  • A Springfield, Ohio, man who pleaded guilty to killing his neighbor’s dog with a baseball bat in April avoided jail time and was sentenced to community service. Jeffrey Sagraves was ordered to 40 hours of community service and to pay $300 in fines for burglary and cruelty to a companion animal. >> On WHIO.com: Springfield man accused of killing dog with baseball bat He was facing a maximum of 18 months in jail for burglary and 12 months for cruelty to a companion animal. In October, Sagraves called 911 to report that there were two pit bulls in his backyard attacking his cat, according to Clark County Common Pleas Court documents. During the call, he reportedly told dispatchers that the dogs belonged to his neighbor and threatened to kill the dogs if police didn’t show up soon The cat died during the attack, according to court records. >> Read more trending news  Minutes later, a neighbor, Lisa Marie Everhart, called 911 and said a man identified as Sagraves reportedly broke into her home and hit her dog in the head with a wooden bat. She was visibly upset, as well as her young children, who were screaming and crying, according to a court affidavit. Everhart was charged with a misdemeanor for failing to confine her dogs.
  • A heartwarming viral video filmed late last year is making the rounds again – just in time for Father's Day. >> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news  According to ABC News, Julianne Cragg of Edmonton, Alberta, was at a Three Days Grace concert in December when she spotted a teen signing song lyrics to a deaf man. 'At last night's concert, we witnessed something absolutely beautiful,' Cragg wrote in a Dec. 13 Facebook post, which included a video of the pair. 'We saw this girl and a man who seemed to require a lot of dancing room, irritating at first until we realized what was happening,' Cragg continued. 'Her father is deaf, she was signing the lyrics to him. We couldn't care less about what was happening on stage, watching them was absolutely mesmerizing. They were both very sweet and her father was very proud of his daughter.' >> Watch the video here The father and daughter were identified as Karri Carberry, 19, and Darrin Carberry, who also are from Edmonton, ABC News reported. >> Read more trending news  'I feel absolutely shocked and amazed at all of the views and responses we have been getting!' the younger Carberry said of the clip, which has been viewed more than 28 million times, in a December interview. 'It’s an amazing feeling and we’re both very happy that everyone around the world is enjoying it so much.' Read more here.
  • A Southern California teen who has been in a wheelchair for nearly a year overcame the odds last week to walk at his high school graduation. >> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news  According to KTLA, Claremont High School graduate Alexander Harris surprised his classmates Thursday as he rose from his wheelchair, used a walker to cross the stage and accepted his diploma. >> Watch the moment here The emotional moment came 10 months after a serious motocross racing crash left Harris with a broken neck. 'He couldn't lift his hands to drink,' his mother, Peggy, told KTLA. 'I had to feed him. I had to give him, you know, whatever he needed, and to see where he's at today ...' >> Read more trending news  Although doctors said Harris may never be able to use his limbs again, he remained focused on one goal. 'My first thought was, 'When can I get back walking?'' he told KTLA. Following several months of physical therapy, he did just that. 'Never give up,' he told the TV station. Want to follow Harris’ recovery? You can read more about him and donate to his GoFundMe campaign here.
  • President Donald Trump took to Twitter on Saturday to slam The New York Times for its report that the United States has increased cyberattacks on Russia's power grid. >> Read more trending news  'Do you believe that the Failing New York Times just did a story stating that the United States is substantially increasing Cyber Attacks on Russia,' Trump tweeted shortly after 9 p.m. Saturday. 'This is a virtual act of Treason by a once great paper so desperate for a story, any story, even if bad for our Country.' He continued: 'ALSO, NOT TRUE! Anything goes with our Corrupt News Media today. They will do, or say, whatever it takes, with not even the slightest thought of consequence! These are true cowards and without doubt, THE ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE!' >> See the tweets here Earlier Saturday, the newspaper, citing 'current and former government officials,' reported that the U.S. 'is stepping up digital incursions into Russia's electric power grid.'  The news comes at least seven years after U.S. officials began putting 'reconnaissance probes' in Russia's grid, the Times reported. 'But now the American strategy has shifted more toward offense, officials say, with the placement of potentially crippling malware inside the Russian system at a depth and with an aggressiveness that had never been tried before,' the Times reported, adding that the move is part-warning, part-preparation for launching U.S. attacks 'if a major conflict' with Russia develops. Two unnamed officials with the Trump administration said they did not think the president had received detailed briefings about the U.S. implants in the Russian electric system, according to the Times.  Officials have hesitated to give him the details over worries that he might divulge information to foreign officials or react unfavorably, sources told the Times. Read more here.
  • Hundreds of divers removed litter from the ocean floor near a popular Florida beach – and set a world record in the process. >> Read more trending news  According to the South Florida Sun Sentinel, 633 divers joined forces Saturday morning at Deerfield Beach to accomplish the feat, which occurred at Dixie Divers' annual pier cleanup. >> See photos and a video from the event here Michael Empric, a representative from Guinness World Records in New York, attended the event and tallied the participants.  >> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news  'Today, I'm the official eyes and ears of Guinness World Records on the ground, so we know immediately whether or not the record's been broken,' Empric told the Sun Sentinel. They ended up breaking the previous record for the largest underwater cleanup, set four years ago by a group of 614 divers in the Red Sea. >> See the Facebook post here This isn't the first time Dixie Divers has broken a world record. At last year's Deerfield Beach cleanup, 386 divers set the record for the longest underwater human chain. Read more here.