Precautions are being taken at a Gwinnett County YMCA after cases of Legionella were reported by some visitors who used the facility.
In a statement from the Gwinnett Health Department, the J.M. Tull-Gwinnett Family YMCA was contacted after the “potential link” was discovered by epidemiology staff during routine disease surveillance interviews.
Legionellosis is respiratory illness caused by breathing in small droplets of water that contain legionella bacteria.
While no samples were found at the facility, its pool, hot tubs, sauna, steam room and shower areas were closed as a precaution and will undergo a thorough cleaning.
“We voluntarily closed the areas of concern as identified by the Health Department and have hired an outside company who specializes in remediation for public facilities to work with us on addressing any concerns,” according to a statement from the director of communication for the YMCA of Atlanta, Angie Clawson.
The cleaning is scheduled for Thursday, but no word how long the facilities will be closed.
Brian Turner, whose daughter and grandchildren live around the corner in Lawrenceville, is pleased with the response.
“That means a lot to me that they actually are jumping forward and getting on it right away to prevent any future issues from happening,” he tells WSB’s Sandra Parrish.