H -° L 31°
  • cloudy-day
    Current Conditions
    Clear. H -° L 31°
  • clear-day
    Clear. H -° L 31°
  • clear-day
    Mostly Clear. H 56° L 33°

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Massive police and counterprotester presence overshadow neo-Nazi rally

Massive police and counterprotester presence overshadow neo-Nazi rally

Massive police and counterprotester presence overshadow neo-Nazi rally
Photo Credit: � 2018 Cox Media Group.

A neo-Nazi rally scheduled for Saturday afternoon in Newnan, Ga., was met by a large contigent of counterprotesters and law enforcement officers. (HYOSUB SHIN / AJC)

Massive police and counterprotester presence overshadow neo-Nazi rally

As hundreds of counterprotesters descended on downtown Newnan on Saturday afternoon, only a couple dozen white nationalists showed up for a rally at Greenville Street Park.

With memories of what turned into a deadly rally in Charlottesville, Virginia in July, some 700 law enforcement officials from 42 different police agencies worked together to make sure everyone involved was safe.

“Very proud,” is the way Newnan police Chief Douglas Meadows described his feelings about law enforcement following the rally and protest Saturday afternoon.

He said more than anything, he was incredibly proud of the people of Newnan and Coweta County.

"The groups we had here today did not represent Newnan and Coweta County," Meadows said. "Words cannot express my gratitude, first to the citizens of Newnan and Coweta County. Great place. Our citizens are great."

[PHOTOS: Huge crowds gather at neo-Nazi rally]

Hundreds of counterprotesters lined the streets around Greenville Street Park to help push love and peace, in hopes of drowning out what they said was were messages of hate.

"We're exercising human rights for all people that represent love, humanity, against hate, against evil -- point blank, period. And that's something we don't allow -- not in this city, not in this town, not in this state, anywhere," one counterprotester told Channel 2’s Christian Jennings .

Anti-fascist demonstrators, also known as Antifa, appeared to be among the counterprotesters and residents rallying against the neo-Nazis.

Just after 4 p.m., about two dozen members of the National Socialist Movement, based in Michigan, arrived at the park, which had been cordoned off by fencing and barricades to separate the white nationalist group and the counterprotesters. The group’s application anticipated 50 to 100 people.

[READ: A minute-by-minute look at neo-Nazi rally in Newnan]

“The objective here is to do exactly what you’re seeing – Keep the protesters separated from the counterprotesters – that’s the gist of the security plan. It’s working excellent,” Georgia Bureau of Investigation Director Vernon Keenan said.

Members of the NSM also praised the good job by law enforcement as they tried to spread their message to those watching.

“What you need to understand, people, is the more you push us, the more you oppress us, the stronger we get, the more momentum we gain, and we are consistently growing in numbers, in influence,” said Nationalist Social Movement Commander Jeff Schoep.

Before leaving, Schoep spoke with reporters, saying Newnan was one of many places the group planned on going to spread their message, which he said has only gained momentum.

"People are tired of the Democrats and Republicans with the same old lies and failures that we're seeing from our federal government. They listen to our social and political issues," Schoep aid.

The group rallied to a small crowd inside Greenville Street Park for about an hour before they
left as quickly as they came.

As the demonstration began wrapping up shortly after 5 p.m., counterprotesters began shouting, “Shut it down” and “Time’s up, go home.”

The demonstrators then left as quickly as they showed up.

Law enforcement held a news conference following the demonstration and said they were very relieved everything turned out the way it did.

“I live in Newnan. I’m a California transplant to Georgia and I believe that Newnan loves all,” resident Judy Berkins told Channel 2’s Tyisha Fernandes . “We don't want our city in any way to be affected by the activity of the NSM.”

Meadow said that ultimately, the taxpayers would have to foot the bill for the show of force brought out by the rally.

“This shouldn’t come out of the pockets of taxpayers like me,” Newnan resident Mildred Beadles said. “If they want to do this, they should pay for it. Our police are not focused on us because of them. That should not be allowed.”

Authorities did not have an estimate as to how much the security for the rally was going to cost. On top of the police presence, some 100 to 125 fire and emergency medical services personnel were on hand from 25 different agencies in case something went wrong.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution contributed to this article.

Read More


  • The White House says Ivanka Trump will take part in the nomination process for a new head of the World Bank. The senior adviser was asked to participate by Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin because she has worked with World Bank leaders on a variety of projects. The White House said she is not a contender for the post. Jim Yong Kim, the current president of the World Bank, announced last week that he is resigning. With Kim's exit, President Donald Trump will have the opportunity to nominate his own choice to fill the position. The leaders at the 189-nation World Bank have all been Americans. But other countries have complained about this pattern. Kim's permanent successor will be decided by the World Bank's board of directors.
  • President Donald Trump's pick to become the next attorney general said Tuesday that he would 'not go after' marijuana companies in states where cannabis is legal, even though he personally believes the drug should be outlawed. In his testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee, William Barr said he would not use limited government resources to target cannabis businesses that are complying with state laws. Businesses in the marijuana industry relied on Obama-era guidance that kept federal authorities from cracking down on the pot trade in states where the drug is legal, but those guidelines were rescinded by former Attorney General Jeff Sessions last year. Pointing to the growing marijuana industry and investments in cannabis companies, Barr said he didn't want to 'upset settled expectations.' 'To the extent that people are complying with the state laws, distribution and production and so forth, we're not going to go after that,' Barr said. Despite his affirmation that he would not target cannabis businesses, Barr said he would personally support a federal law that 'prohibits marijuana everywhere.' The largely hands-off approach to marijuana enforcement set forth during former President Barack Obama's administration allowed the marijuana industry to flourish into a sophisticated, multimillion-dollar market that helps fund some state government programs. Days after California's broad marijuana legalization went into effect, Sessions rescinded the Justice Department's guidance — known as the Cole Memo — and decried it as allowing a 'safe harbor' for marijuana by allowing states to flout federal law. Since the guidance was rescinded, there has been concern about the future of the growing cannabis industry. Despite medical and so-called recreational cannabis legalization in dozens of states, federal law prohibits the possession and sale of marijuana. But Barr said the current system is 'untenable' and 'almost like a backdoor nullification of federal law.' He called for members of Congress to come up with a way to handle marijuana enforcement across the U.S. 'I think it's incumbent on the Congress to make a decision as to whether we are going to have a federal system,' he said. 'Because this is breeding disrespect for the federal law.' ___ Michael Balsamo is a member of AP's marijuana beat team. Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/MikeBalsamo1 . Find complete AP marijuana coverage here: www.apnews.com/tag/LegalMarijuana
  • The partial government shutdown continues and many federal workers haven't been paid in weeks, so a local church stepped in to help its members who have been impacted. Church members at New Birth Missionary Baptist Church were able to raise enough money to give fellow members affected by the government shutdown nearly $300 each in cash. Pastor Jamal Bryant, who joined the church in December, said he felt he and his congregation had a responsibility to help those in need. He said 30 people went to the altar Sunday seeking aide. [READ MORE: Jamal Bryant named as new senior pastor of New Birth] “When the government shuts down is when the church needs to be wide open,” Bryant said. Channel 2's Tom Jones has the full interview with Pastor Bryant on Channel 2 Action News at 6 p.m. TRENDING STORIES: Police: Officer attacked with own Taser after dangerous suspect resists arrest Former Kasim Reed aide collapses in court as judge sentences her to prison Passengers arrive hours early at Atlanta airport after massive security lines
  • Before the boy died and went into a secret grave by the family dog pen, Elwyn “JR” Crocker Jr.’s dad complained about the 13-year-old to police in Georgia. The father claimed JR stole, fought when told to take a bath and was a “bully,” which was why he was homeschooled, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports. Cpl. Kurtis Smith took the boy aside and asked what was wrong, according to an incident report. JR acknowledged he did get angry a lot. He was upset mostly because he didn’t have many friends. The Rincon police officer advised JR to listen to his family, everything would be fine. Two and a half years later, this past Dec. 20, Effingham County Sheriff’s deputies found JR and his sister Mary Crocker, who was about two years younger, buried behind their trailer, some 30 miles from Savannah. They arrested every member of the family who lived there, including Elwyn Crocker Sr., the father who turned 50 on Christmas and until recently played Santa at a nearby Walmart. The suspects, who authorities say don’t have attorneys yet, remain jailed on charges of child cruelty and concealing deaths. The cause of death for the children could remain unknown for weeks or months as medical examiners perform tests on the remains. The officer’s 2015 encounter with JR was just one of many times when authorities and other got close to the family without realizing something would go terribly wrong, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution found. Interviews with those who know the family, as well as public records obtained by the AJC, show the children endured a tumultuous home life from an early age. Police were summoned multiple times, responding to fights between the adults around them. Child welfare agencies in South Carolina and Georgia investigated. There were strange punishments — especially for JR. Some witness accounts of mistreatment for one reason or another went unreported to authorities. Viewed together, the information paints an unsettling picture of how isolation and a hesitancy by authorities and neighbors to intervene more forcefully left the kids vulnerable. Then there was one big alleged lie, a statement that could have changed the course of the children’s lives. A picture, a reality There is a picture on Facebook of the family, taken in 2010: Crocker and his wife, Candice Crocker, beaming, crammed onto a loveseat with the man’s three kids, Mary, JR and James, the youngest, who suffers from cerebral palsy. They’re dressed like they just came from church and they look happy. But family portraits don’t tell all. Two years before, the father was in South Carolina with a different woman. Rebecca Grantham Self gave birth to James on Nov. 1, 2007. (JR and Mary share a mother, who couldn’t be reached for comment.) Self lived with Crocker and all three kids in the little town of South Congaree, southwest of Columbia. In Self’s telling, things were mostly fine until April 27, 2008. On that afternoon, she dialed 911 and told police Crocker had just flown into a rage after she woke him while feeding the baby, according to an incident report. He accused her of feeding James the wrong food, snatched the bottle and grabbed her by the throat, pressing her back against a window while she was still holding the infant, Self told an officer. Crocker had allegedly left a large red mark and a scratch on James’ head. The baby was taken to the hospital to get checked out. Sgt. Joshua Shumpert called the South Carolina Department of Social Services. A worker came and took the baby from the tearful mother. DSS declined to comment, but records provided to the AJC by Self suggest the agency believed her accusations against Crocker, at least before her alleged lie. ‘Ruined credibility’ The next day, Crocker told a police investigator that he and Self had been in a “verbal” fight and a “physical struggle for the bottle,” which resulted in the marks on the baby. He wasn’t charged and JR and Mary apparently remained in his custody. Nine days later, Self showed up at the police department with an awful-looking black eye, claiming Crocker had punched her. Shumpert, the same cop who’d called DSS, remembers feeling concern — then suspicion. He got Self a wet cloth and asked her to wipe her eye. The blackness came off — it was makeup, Shumpert said. “It ruined her credibility,” Shumpert, who is now the police chief, told the AJC recently. Crocker was never charged with grabbing Self by the throat or hurting the baby. Shumpert said he isn’t sure why, because he wasn’t involved in the investigation and couldn’t locate investigative records, but he suspected the “black eye” could’ve had something to do with it. Self was also later convicted of assaulting Crocker, court records show. She maintains today that she actually had been punched by Crocker and was angry that police hadn’t charged Crocker with hurting the baby. DSS later gave the father custody of the baby. Fights and long silence Crocker soon moved to Georgia with his new wife, Candice Crocker, who is 17 years younger. The Division of Family and Children Services investigated the family around 2012 but the agency has not yet commented or released any records on the case. At some point, the Crockers ended up in Rincon, on 9th Street, where the two dozen or so trailers in the Brother’s Keeper mobile home park are planted. Former neighbor Marvin Gills said he knew them well. Gills told the AJC he thought Elwyn and Candice Crocker were OK people. The kids were great. JR, a professional wrestling fan, would come roughhouse with Gills and help him work in the yard. Mary would spend the night with Gills’ daughter Daniella. After beginning home school at the start of the 2018-19 year, Mary still walked Daniella to the bus stop. Gills said the family’s home life took a turn when Candice Crocker’s mother, Kim Wright, and brother, Mark Wright II, started coming around more. Daniella said she saw Kim Wright hit Mary “upside the head.” James was forced to sleep in bathtubs and closets because he’d been “bad.” One day, Daniella saw strange purple marks on Mary’s hands. Mary said it was from swimming, Daniella said. On 9th Street, the most significant times police were called was when Elwyn Crocker complained about his son and when Kim Wright called about Elwyn Crocker. She said her son-in-law had busted her lip on June 7, 2016, after the family had agitated him by waking him up, according to an incident report. She told the responding officer she didn’t put up with the man’s “nonsense” like the rest of the family. It was the same officer who’d told JR to listen to his family a year earlier. Kim Wright said she didn’t want to press charges. The cop told them to try and get along. Later, the Crockers moved in with Kim Wright, her son and her boyfriend in her double-wide on Rosebud Place, outside the city of Guyton. The last known sighting of JR was two years ago, Mary in October. Both were 14 when last seen. Deputies found them in the dirt on Dec. 20 after someone called 911 concerned about Mary. In Rincon, the Gills family was brokenhearted by the news and reports that Mary always seemed scared on Rosebud Place. “The sad thing is, people around there never saw her smile,” he said. On 9th Street, she’d smiled often. This story was written by Joshua Sharpe for The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
  • The Georgia Department of Transportation will start a project to replace a 50-year-old bridge in Gwinnett County on Monday. Channel 2's Berndt Petersen is in northeast Gwinnett, where crews will begin work to replace the overpass on Spout Springs Road over I-85.  Some residents in NE Gwinnett say rebab of this bridge will give them headaches 5pm pic.twitter.com/V3aQWhKC6N — Berndt Petersen (@BPetersenWSB) January 15, 2019 Residents are concerned about delays for drivers -- but also for emergency vehicles and schools.  We're talking to parents, who say they have been warned buses will run late, for Channel 2 Action News at 5 p.m. TRENDING STORIES: Missing South Georgia children found buried endured violent chaos at home Newlywed charged with bride's murder outside Popeye's Three children die after being found locked in chest freezer, police say
  • A pet missing for 9 years was reunited with its family after being rescued from a slick canal. The Press-Enterprise reported that animal control officers responded to a call Monday afternoon about a dog stuck in a canal in Riverside, California, according to Riverside County Department of Animal Services spokesman John Welsh. >> Read more trending news  Welsh said Officer Denise Westbrook was the first to respond.  “After locating the dog, Westbrook asked for assistance and officers Mary Salazar and Mike Cox responded,” Walsh said. “Lt. James Huffman arrived shortly thereafter and the four officers were able to lead the dog to a location with shorter banks.” Officers were ale to get a loop around the dog and bring it to safety. >> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news  According to KCBS, the dog was reunited with the family because it had a microchip with their information on it.  “We’re excited that it all worked out,” Huffman said.