Gov. Kemp threatens to ‘take action’ in wake of violent weekend in Atlanta

Governor Brian Kemp is responding to a violent weekend that saw several people killed and dozens injured in shooting across Atlanta.

In a tweet Sunday night, Kemp says, "While we stand ready to assist local leaders in restoring peace & maintaining order, we won't hesitate to take action without them."

An 8-year-old girl was shot and killed Saturday night near the Wendy's where Rayshard Brooks died last month. There was a second shooting near the same location just 24 hours after the little girl was killed. A total of three people were shot, and one of those people died.

Atlanta police said they responded to multiple shootings throughout the city during the fourth of July weekend. Police reported at least 25 people were shot in six separate incidents. Three of the shootings were deadly.

Kemp called the shootings “unacceptable.”

“This recent trend of lawlessness is outrageous & unacceptable,” Kemp tweeted.

Kemp urged that people need to feel safe from crime.

“Georgians, including those in uniform, need to be protected from crime & violence,” Kemp tweeted.

The governor’s tweet was retweeted and “liked” hundreds of times, although some criticized the governor about his focus on Atlanta violence.

Civil Rights attorney Lee Merritt, who represents the family of Ahmaud Arbery, responded to the governor in the tweet linking the term “lawlessness” to the initial controversial investigation into the killing of the 25-year-old in Brunswick, Georgia.

mobile apps

Everything you love about wsbradio.com and more! Tap on any of the buttons below to download our app.

amazon alexa

Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!