On Air Now

Listen Now

Weather

heavy-rain-night
54°
Rain
H 56° L 54°
  • heavy-rain-night
    54°
    Current Conditions
    Rain. H 56° L 54°
  • rain-day
    56°
    Evening
    Rain. H 56° L 54°
  • cloudy-day
    56°
    Morning
    Mostly Cloudy. H 77° L 59°
Listen
Pause
Error

News on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

Traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

Weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Local
Georgia Supreme Court justices question imprisoned man's conviction
Close

Georgia Supreme Court justices question imprisoned man's conviction

Chief Justice Harold Melton and Presiding Justice David Nahmias both urged the state attorney general's office to re-open the case against Devonia Inman. Inman is serving a life-without-parole sentence, even though DNA evidence discovered years after his trial strongly suggested another man committed the crimes.

Georgia Supreme Court justices question imprisoned man's conviction

Two state Supreme Court justices on Thursday issued extraordinary opinions in which they openly questioned the imprisonment of a man convicted of the armed robbery and murder of a South Georgia woman 21 years ago.

Chief Justice Harold Melton and Presiding Justice David Nahmias both urged the state attorney general’s office to re-open the case against Devonia Inman. Inman is serving a life-without-parole sentence, even though DNA evidence discovered years after his trial strongly suggested another man committed the crimes.

Nahmias, the former U.S. attorney in Atlanta, went so far as to question whether the state should continue opposing Inman’s efforts to obtain a new trial.

“Let justice be done,” Nahmias wrote.

Attorney General Chris Carr agreed to follow the justices’ recommendations.

“The Attorney General and members of our senior staff take very seriously the court’s concerns, and are personally and fully reviewing the matter in conjunction with the district attorney who would be responsible for any prosecution arising out of this case,” office spokeswoman Katie Byrd said.

[SPECIAL INVESTIGATION: Georgia man serves life despite DNA implicating another killer]

“We were very gratified to see the Supreme Court’s order, especially the forceful and courageous concurring opinions of Chief Justice Melton and Presiding Justice Nahmias,” Inman’s legal team from Troutman Sanders said in a statement. “We look forward to continuing the fight for justice for Mr. Inman.”

Inman, who has long proclaimed his innocence, was convicted of the 1998 murder of Donna Brown, a night manager of a Taco Bell in Adel. She was accosted in the parking lot after closing up and died of a gunshot wound to her face. Her killer took more than $1,700 of the day’s receipts.

Inman’s case was chronicled in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s podcast “Breakdown: Murder Below the Gnat Line.” He is now being represented for free by Troutman Sanders lawyers who are trying to win him a new trial.

“Everyone involved in our criminal justice system should dread the conviction and incarceration of innocent people,” Nahmias wrote.

As a justice, Nahmias said, he has reviewed more than 1,500 murder cases. In some, judges and appellate courts granted new trials to defendants who appeared not to be guilty, he said.

“Of the multitude of cases in which a new trial has been denied, Inman’s case is the one that causes me the most concern that an innocent person remains convicted and sentenced to serve the rest of his life in prison,” Nahmias wrote.

If Inman were given a new trial, there’s no telling what the result would be, Nahmias added. But with the new evidence that’s been uncovered, “there is no doubt that a new trial would be very different than the one in which Inman was found guilty.”

Writing separately, Melton said he shared many of Nahmias’ concerns.

“The evidence that potentially connects a different person other than Inman to the murder in this case raises some very troubling issues,” he said.

During the 2001 trial, prosecutors presented no physical evidence that tied Inman to the crime. Jurors heard from a jailhouse informant who said Inman told him he killed Brown, but the inmate later said he was coerced into turning on Inman. Prosecutors also called upon a friend of Inman’s who initially said she saw Inman with a lot of cash the morning after the killing. But she also recanted.

A witness who did not retract her testimony was a newspaper delivery woman who said she saw Inman driving Brown’s car shortly after the shooting. But a man standing next to her at that time has said it was too dark for her to have identified Inman.

Inman’s lawyers tried to call on witnesses who said another man, Hercules Brown, told them he committed the murder. (Hercules Brown is not related to the victim.) But Superior Court Judge Buster McConnell did not let the jury hear their testimony.

Years later, DNA testing was conducted to see who might have been wearing a homemade mask found inside Donna Brown’s car. The GBI crime lab matched the DNA on the mask to Hercules Brown.

At that time, Brown was in prison serving his own life-without-parole sentence, having pleaded guilty to the murder of two people during another armed robbery in Adel.

With the new DNA evidence, Inman’s lawyers asked McConnell to grant a new trial. But McConnell let the conviction stand.

In 2014, the Georgia Supreme Court declined to even consider Inman’s appeal of McConnell’s decision.

Last year, Inman’s new lawyers filed a new petition before Superior Court Judge Kristina Cook Graham. In July, Graham declined to dismiss the case and ruled that Inman’s lawyers could question Hercules Brown.

But the state attorney general’s office sought to overturn Graham’s ruling.

On Thursday, the Georgia Supreme Court unanimously rejected the state’s request, and its order included the two concurring opinions by Melton and Nahmias.

Nahmias wrote that he now has “grave doubts” about McConnell’s decision to deny Inman’s motion for a new trial. He also said he regrets the Supreme Court’s decision in 2014 not to hear Inman’s appeal.

“Unfortunately, I have not found a way, within the confines of the law, for us to undo our decision … at this point,” Nahmias said. “But this court is not the only source of justice in this state. Indeed, judges are often obligated to enforce procedural rules, and we often must defer to discretionary decisions made by prosecutors. Prosecutors, however, may always exercise their discretion to seek justice — to do the right thing.”

This article was written by Bill Rankin, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Read More

News

  • FBI toxicology reports ruled out foul play in the deaths of at least three U.S. tourists to the Dominican Republic, the State Department said Friday. >> Read more trending news  The bureau assisted with the toxicology tests of three of at least nine Americans who fell ill and died while visiting the Caribbean destination earlier this year, CNN reported.  Specifically, the FBI determined Nathaniel Holmes, Cynthia Day and Miranda Schaup-Werner each died of natural causes, findings consistent with those of Dominican Republic authorities, USA Today reported. Schaup-Werner, 41, of Pennsylvania, died in May at the Grand Bahia Principe in La Romana, with Dominican authorities attributing her death to a heart attack. Meanwhile, Holmes, 63, and Day, 49, were found dead in their shared hotel room at the Playa Nueva Romana resort. In that case, Dominican authorities ruled the Maryland couple died of respiratory failure and pulmonary edema, USA Today reported. A State Department official confirmed to CNN that relatives of the deceased have been notified of the FBI results and issued the following statement: “Our condolences and sympathy go out to the families during this difficult time.” USA Today reportedThe test results have also been shared with Dominican authorities and ruled out several potential causes of death for the Maryland couple, including methanol poisoning from tainted alcohol, USA Today reported. 
  • Colorado authorities have arrested a man in connection with the gruesome Thursday morning discovery of an unidentified woman’s body inside a suitcase in a dumpster. >> Read more trending news  Pueblo Police Sgt. Frank Ortega confirmed to KKTV Anthony Cuevas was taken into custody Friday evening and is expected to face a charge of first-degree murder. According to a news release issued by the Pueblo Police Department, Cuevas, 36, also faces a warrant for violating his parole. His wife, Melanie Ann Cuevas, also 36, was arrested on a criminal impersonation warrant. KKTV reported a suspect police now believe was Cuevas was caught on surveillance footage in the area of the dumpster about three hours before the woman’s body was found. In the video, the suspect can be seen taking the suitcase out of the car’s trunk and tossing it into the dumpster. Although the woman’s identity has not been made public, police have confirmed she had a very distinctive clown tattoo and was found wearing a U.S. Air Force T-shirt and M&M candy shorts, KMGH reported. Read more here and here.
  • Prince fans, rejoice! In honor of the 40th anniversary of his self-titled second album, the late singer’s estate released a previously unheard acoustic version of the Grammy-winning “I Feel For You” on Friday. >> Read more trending news  According to NPR, the icon’s estate dropped the acoustic demo of the 1979 song as a surprise release via streaming services and as the A-side of a 7' single. Only 20 years old at the time, Prince was preparing for his solo debut at the Capri Theater in North Minneapolis when the track was recorded – on cassette – in the winter of 1978-79, his estate tweeted. Despite its Oct. 19, 1979 release, “I Feel For You” did not become a top 10 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 charts until Chaka Khan performed a cover of it on her 1984 solo album, USA Today reported. The surprise release comes more than three years after Prince’s death from an accidental opioid overdose in Minneapolis at the age of 57.
  • Within two years Bangor, Maine, could begin welcoming a handful of rotating, gifted wordsmiths, each committed to both honing their craft and honoring the legacy of one of the city’s most iconic residents. >> Read more trending news  The Bangor City Council unanimously approved Oct. 16 a request by authors Stephen and Tabitha King to rezone their 3.27-acre property as a nonprofit, slated to house both a writers’ retreat and an archive, Rolling Stone reported. In a Facebook post, Stephen King clarified the council meeting is a “first step” in a one- to two-year plan for establishing the writers’ retreat in the home adjacent to the one where he and Tabitha raised their family – and more than a few hairs on the backs of readers’ necks worldwide. Read the full post below.  According to CNN, the Kings own two homes behind often-photographed wrought iron gates adorned with bats and gargoyles. While the Victorian mansion the family occupied will house Stephen King’s personal archive – maintained by the Stephen and Tabitha King Foundation – the second home will lodge as many as five writers in residence at a time once it becomes operational. Following the vote, Bangor City Councilman Ben Sprague told Rolling Stone preserving the Kings’ legacy is “important for the community.” “The King Family has been wonderful to the City of Bangor over time and have donated literally millions of dollars to various causes in the community,” Sprague said. And Bangor has been equally important to Stephen King’s prolific writing career, serving as the inspiration for the fictional town of Derry, Maine, featured in such titles as “IT,” “Insomnia” and “11/22/63.” “From John Steinbeck's house in California to Emily Dickinson's home in Massachusetts, homes of culturally impactful authors and artists can enrich communities. It is fitting that their Bangor home will be used not only as an archive, but as a writers' retreat,” Bangor City Council Chairwoman Sarah Nichols told CNN.  “As such, Stephen & Tabitha King will continue to support and empower future generations of thinkers and seekers, just like they have over the years through the philanthropic efforts of their foundation,” she told the network in a statement.
  • A suspect is in custody following an early-morning shooting on the Grambling State University campus Friday that left two people, including a police officer, wounded. >> Read more trending news  Princeston Andre Adams, 19, is charged with two counts of attempted second-degree murder. Louisiana state troopers arrested the former Grambling student and Shreveport, Louisiana, resident Friday morning, KSLA reported. Louisiana State Police Trooper Michael Reichardt told KNOE the shooting happened at a party outside of the Frederick C. Hobdy Assembly Center. Reichardt also confirmed the wounded officer was shot in the leg, but his injuries are considered non-life-threatening. The second victim – identified only as a non-student – was shot twice in the torso and remains at North Louisiana Medical Center in Shreveport for treatment of life-threatening injuries, the station reported. Grambling State University President Rick Gallot issued the following statement: “Our goal at Grambling State University is to provide a safe, enjoyable environment for our students. To help in this effort, we will work with our student life and campus safety teams to grow our policies and procedures to better accommodate our student body. Our hearts and prayers go out to those impacted by last night’s events both directly and indirectly. I encourage all of our campus and community to support Louisiana State Police in their investigation by calling (318) 274-2222 with any related information.” Adams’ bond has been set at $1 million, KSLA reported. Original report: Authorities are investigating an early-morning shooting on the Grambling State University campus that left two people injured, including a police officer, KTBS reported. According to a safety update issued by university officials, campus authorities responded around 1:30 a.m. to an indoor firearm discharge at the Frederick C. Hobdy Assembly Center. Two individuals – including the officer and a non-student – were transported to North Louisiana Medical Center for treatment of injuries. The severity of the injuries suffered was not immediately available. According to KTBS, witnesses told officers on the scene a suspect fled campus following the shooting, and the Louisiana State Police Department will continue investigating. Anyone with any details related to the incident is encouraged to call (318) 274-2222. 
  • A breeder who admitted her cat breeding operation had gotten 'out of control' has surrendered 45 cats to the MSPCA, according to a release. >> Read more trending news  The breeder has not been identified because the 45 purebred ragdoll cats were voluntarily surrendered in what the MSPCA calls its largest single-home cat surrender in at least five years.  The cats are in good health, according to the MSPCA, and will be at the organization's Jamaica Plain shelter and Nevins Farm in Methuen.  They were rescued from a farm in Central Massachusetts and will be available for adoption soon.  The MSPCA says most of them will need extensive dental work and at least one will have surgery to remove mammary tumors.  MSPCA officials say the cats are very social and have gorgeous coats and blue eyes. The cats are large with semi-long hair. Ragdoll cats are reputed for being docile and friendly for families.  The MSPCA says they are anticipating high demand for the cats and encourages people to come meet the cats at one of the shelters during business hours.