On Air Now

Listen Now


Partly Cloudy
H 52° L 35°
  • clear-day
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 52° L 35°
  • cloudy-day
    Partly Cloudy. H 52° L 35°
  • clear-day
    Mostly Clear. H 50° L 30°

News on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Emory looks into using psychedelic drugs as possible treatment for depression

Emory University researchers are looking into using psychedelic drugs as a possible treatment for major depressive disorder.

Participants will take a single dose of psilocybin, the mind-altering compound in “magic mushrooms.”

Channel 2’s Tom Regan looked into the research and how one woman said the drug changed her life.

Dinah Bazer, who participated in a similar study at New York University in 2012, is an ovarian cancer survivor. As she approached the two-year mark of being cancer free, she became consumed with anxiety.

“'I was overwhelmed with fear and anxiety that this thing would come back,” she said.

A nurse at her doctor’s office told her about the clinical study in which researchers used psilocybin to treat cancer-related anxiety.

After undergoing several weeks of therapy, she took a psilocybin capsule and laid back.

At first, she said the experience was frightening. Then, she reached out to the therapists in the room with her.

“He took my hand and he said, ‘Just go with it,’” recalled Bazer. “After a while, I saw my fear. It was a black mass. It was not the cancer. It was the fear, the anxiety.”

Bazer said she yelled at the fear to leave -- and it did.

“It was gone. All the fear, all the anxiety. It was gone, and it's still gone,” she said.

“I began to feel love, this all-enveloping love,” said Bazer. “All of a sudden during this psilocybin experience, I realized change is an opportunity. My whole attitude changed right there.”

According to a follow-up study from NYU nearly five years after the original, about 60 to 80 percent of participants experienced clinically significant reductions in depression or anxiety, sustained benefits in existential distress and quality of life and improved attitudes toward death.

Now, Emory University is participating in another study, led by COMPASS Pathways, aimed at people with major depressive disorder who haven’t responded to other treatments.

“We’re constantly trying to find alternative ways of helping those people overcome their depression,” said Dr. Boadie Dunlop, the psychiatrist leading Emory’s research.

Dunlop believed that psilocybin could re-frame one’s thinking.

“It can help people transform the way they understand their connectedness to the world, what they're going through in a way that reduces the distress,” he said.

After taking the capsule, the study participant has the option of putting on an eye mask before they lie down for a four- to six-hour psychotropic experience.

Similar to Bazer’s experience, therapists will monitor each participant for the whole time.

Dunlop said this research was part of the first placebo-controlled study of psilocybin to treat depression.

“As opposed to chronically dosing a pill, we have a one-time intense transformative experience, that through the addition of therapy, helps people sustain a new way of thinking about their lives that reduces depressive symptoms,” said Dunlop.

But Dunlop emphasized the importance of clinical oversight, warning of the risks of self-medicating.

“My biggest concern is people are going to think, ‘Oh, I’ll just buy some magic mushrooms and I’ll be able to get over my depression.’ That is exactly not what we are doing; we are doing carefully-delivered therapy in addition to that,” he explained.

Bazer told Regan that she would never use psilocybin on her own.

“If you think you have a problem and you think this will solve it, it would be foolish just to go and down these mushrooms with no guidance,” she said.

If research from Emory and the other sites participating in the COMPASS Pathways study show success, it could one day become legal to prescribe psilocybin for use in a clinical setting.

According to Dunlop, however, that outcome is still several years away.

Read More


  • As the fears of the coronavirus continue to spread, a beer with a now-unfortunate name is feeling the effects of the outbreaks. Corona beer sales are down because of fears over the name’s similarity to the deadly virus. A recent survey of American beer drinkers found that 38% of those asked will not buy Corona beer and 16% are confused if Corona beer is related to the coronavirus, USA Today reported. 5WPR, the company that conducted the survey, also found that 14% of those who would normally buy Corona, won’t do it in public, CNN reported. Constellation Brands, which own Corona Extra in the U.S. among other brands, has taken a 6% hit in the stock market as the entire financial system falls because of coronavirus fears, CNBC reported. But the company’s spokeswoman, Maggie Bowman, said the survey is misinformation and that sales are still strong, USA Today reported. The company said that its customers “understand there is no link between the virus and our business,” CNN reported. The company is doubling down on that belief and is going to go through with the launch of a new product, a Corona-branded hard seltzer that some say is “ill-timed,” USA Today reported. The ad campaign says “Coming ashore soon.” But Corona is not the only beer that is apparently not selling. Anheuser-Busch InBev has said it’s going to be down about 10% for the first-quarter profit because of coronavirus. Because people are not going out in countries hit hard by the virus, beer is not selling, CNBC reported. More Budweiser is sold in China than in the U.S., CNBC reported.
  • It was thought that dogs could not contract the COVID-19 or the coronavirus that is plaguing people across the world, but a pet dog in Hong Kong has apparently tested positive for the coronavirus. The result, however, was weak, the government of Hong Kong said, according to Fox News. The positive test was confirmed by the government of Hong Kong in a press release. The dog is the pet of a patient who has coronavirus. The test resulted from “environmental contamination” of the dog’s mouth and nose. The animal is in quarantine. It does not have any symptoms. Officials with the Hong Kong Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department are now saying that the pets of patients who test positive should also be in quarantine for 14 days, Fox News reported. The country’s agriculture department doesn’t believe the pets can become infected or infect humans, Bloomberg reported. Still, the American Kennel Club says to wash your hands with soap and water after coming in contact with any pet and you don’t need to get a muzzle mask to protect an animal from the virus. But if you do see a change of health, call your veterinarian.
  • The funeral for Anitra Gunn, the 22-year-old slain Fort Valley State University student, approaches as loved ones and people across Georgia still grapple with her death. The homecoming service is set for 11 a.m. Saturday at Greater Peace Baptist Church in Opelika, Ala. Burial will follow in nearby Camp Hill at New Canaan Baptist Church Cemetery, where Gunn’s mother was buried in 2014 after a car wreck. Gunn, who graduated from Fulton County’s Westlake High, is survived by her father, a brother and a sister, as well as scores of other loved ones, her obituary said.  Among those to express sympathy for the family on the comment section attached to the obituary was Fort Valley Mayor Barbara Williams. The mayor remembers Gunn serving her at the downtown restaurant where Gunn worked before her killing on Feb. 14. PAST COVERAGE:  Anitra Gunn was strangled, warrant says  “Forever Anitra.” Mourners gather for vigil “Please accept my most heartfelt sympathies for your loss,” the mayor wrote. “I pray the peace of God surrounds you all during this journey of healing.”  Gunn’s boyfriend, DeMarcus Little, a 23-year-old U.S. Army soldier stationed at Fort Gordon, has been charged with malice murder in her death. The warrant alleges he strangled her. Her body was found in some woods four days after she died. Authorities haven’t released a possible motive.  Javion Abron, 22, of Valdosta is charged with making false statements to an investigator and helping conceal Gunn’s death. Abron went to high school with Little and was also a friend of Gunn’s, according to the GBI. Gunn’s father, Christopher Gunn, who has asked for prayers and privacy as his family mourns his daughter, has launched a GoFundMe campaign to accept donations toward funeral and burial expenses. “The ray of sunshine and the apple of our eye gained her heavenly wings,” the site reads. “Although we have so many unanswered questions, we are trusting in God thru it all. We are so THANKFUL for the outpouring of love, support and prayers from all over the country.”
  • As the coronavirus outbreak grows and concerns increase, Alaska Airlines is following JetBlue’s lead in suspending change and cancellation fees for new flight bookings starting Feb. 27 through Mar. 12. In a release, the airline stated: If you book a flight prior to March 12, and then decide by that date to change or cancel your trip, you’ll receive full travel credit to fly with us later on — up to one year from the issuance of the credit. Fare differences may apply. “We understand that information about the coronavirus is creating confusion and anxiety for some. Our first goal is to keep our guests safe, and offer peace of mind when it comes to flying with us,” said Andrew Harrison, executive vice president and chief commercial officer. “So, through this period, if you need to change your plans after booking a flight, we’ll work with you on new arrangements and you won’t have to worry about any change or cancellation fees.” According to the release, the change in policy will apply to all the airline’s fares. Officials with the airline said they are in close contact with their medical directors and federal agencies, staying on top of its preventative processes. “While it sounds basic, all of us continuing to wash our hands well is the most important way to prevent infection with the novel coronavirus,” said Dr. John Lynch, medical director from the University of Washington Medicine Harborview Medical Center.
  • A children’s book featuring the characters from the hit TV series “The Office” was announced the week of the show’s 15th anniversary. “The Office: A Day at Dunder Mifflin Elementary” features a young Michael Scott as he begins his duty as “World’s Best Line Leader.” The challenge, according to the description provided by the publisher, is that Michael doesn’t know how to lead the line. The story, that includes “easter eggs” for fans of the original Office, is written by Robb Pearlman and illustrated by Melanie Demmer. The book is scheduled for an October release and can be pre-ordered from Amazon or through the publisher, Little, Brown Books for Young Readers. “The Office” originally ran on NBC for nine seasons from 2005 to 2013 and made Steve Carell, Rainn Wilson, Jenna Fischer, John Krasinski, Mindy Kaling, Craig Robinson and Ed Helms household names. It was developed for American audiences and based on Ricky Gervais’ British sitcom of the same name.
  • A man who shot a motorcyclist to death in 2017 and then killed his co-defendant two years later so he wouldn’t testify against him will spend the rest of his life in prison. Carlos Hightower pleaded guilty Thursday for his role in the Paulding County crime spree, District Attorney Dick Donovan said in a news release.  Investigators said Hightower killed 31-year-old Chad Morgan in January 2017 during an ongoing dispute over a Ford Bronco. At the time, Morgan was following Hightower’s vehicle on his motorcycle. Prosecutors said Hightower instructed his friends Austin Nicholson and Magan Carroll to drop him off on the side of the road near the entrance to Carroll’s neighborhood and return to her house without him. When Morgan rode by, Hightower shot him, causing him to crash his motorcycle and fall into an embankment, authorities said. Police found Morgan dead in the ditch — his body riddled with gunshot wounds.   The father of two was shot a total of five times, authorities said: twice in the torso, twice in the shoulder and once in the back of the head. After killing Morgan, Hightower called his friends to come pick him up and take him back to the Rockmart apartment, authorities said.  Hightower was ultimately charged with Morgan’s murder along with Nicholson and Carroll, AJC.com previously reported.  RELATED: 3 face murder charges after motorcyclist targeted, shot All three suspects were granted a $27,700 bond for their charges, Paulding County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Sgt. Ashley Henson said previously. Nicholson and Carroll both posted bond Feb. 11, 2017, three weeks after their arrests.  But Hightower’s arrest violated the terms of his parole for a 2012 statutory rape conviction, and he returned to prison for two years, according to the Georgia Department of Corrections. When he was released in August 2019, authorities said he and Nicholson fired shots into Carroll’s home in an attempt to keep her from testifying against him in the murder case.  “(Hightower) was made aware that his co-defendants, Nicholson and Carroll, made statements to law enforcement implicating him as the shooter, and the possibility that they would testify for the state if the case were to go to trial,” Donovan said in the release. The following day, Nicholson’s body was discovered in a burned out car on Vinson Mountain Crossing near Rockmart. Investigators said Hightower shot Nicholson in the side of the head with a .40 caliber pistol from the passenger seat before setting the car on fire. An autopsy later revealed that Nicholson was still alive while he burned inside his car. MORE: Suspect in 2017 homicide now accused of killing co-defendant After killing Nicholson, police said Hightower left the scene in a car driven by his girlfriend, Akeyla Philpot.  She was arrested last September and charged with murder, arson, influencing witnesses and possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, the sheriff’s office said. She remains in the Paulding County jail without bond. The following month, Carroll pleaded guilty to aggravated assault in exchange for her testimony in the 2017 murder. She was sentenced to five years in prison, 15 on probation and a $5,000 fine. Hightower ended up pleading guilty two counts of malice murder, two counts of influencing a witness and six counts of aggravated assault. He was sentenced Thursday to life in prison without the possibility of parole.  In other news: