BREAKING NEWS:

Officer taken to hospital after serious crash on I-20 in DeKalb County.

On Air Now

Listen Now

Weather

clear-day
59°
Sunny
H 66° L 42°
  • clear-day
    59°
    Current Conditions
    Sunny. H 66° L 42°
  • clear-day
    66°
    Today
    Sunny. H 66° L 42°
  • heavy-rain-day
    59°
    Tomorrow
    Chance of Rain. H 59° L 44°
Listen
Pause
Error

News on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

Traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

Weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Local
Dozens of GA foster children dropped from state custody after they disappeared
Close

Dozens of GA foster children dropped from state custody after they disappeared

Dozens of GA foster children dropped from state custody after they disappeared
Photo Credit: WSB-TV

Dozens of GA foster children dropped from state custody after they disappeared

Dozens of Georgia foster children were dropped from state custody while they were missing from care, even after the state eliminated a policy allowing the practice, a Channel 2 Action News investigation uncovered. 

The previous policy, which was eliminated in December 2016, allowed the division to ask a judge to remove the Division of Family and Children Services as the guardian of a child in temporary foster care when the minor had been missing for more than six months.

Channel 2 discovered more than 50 instances,  since the policy change, in which foster children were “removed from custody” before their 18th birthday. DFCS has since pledged a review of those cases. 

After Channel 2’s inquiry, DFCS sent a memorandum to its staff on May 22 clarifying its policy on children missing from foster care. The memorandum stated, in part, “DFCS shall not seek to be relieved of custody of a child in temporary or permanent custody of DFCS based on the child being missing. DFCS shall maintain an open case and continue efforts to locate the child and address the concerns that brought the child into foster care.”

[RELATED: Cops say sex traffickers sell foster kids on the weekends]

The memorandum also explained that missing children are extremely vulnerable and are at risk of exploitation, and reinforced the division's “responsibility to conduct a comprehensive search to locate the child and ensure the child’s safety and well-being.”

Carr learned that nearly 400 Georgia foster children under the care of the state are missing each year. According to DFCS, most are teens who run away to visit friends or family and quickly return to care. Carr also discovered that more than 30 percent of foster children who run away do so more than one time. An average of 30 children a year turn 18 while they are missing from care. DFCS listed those missing foster teens as “emancipated” in records provided to Channel 2 in an open records request.

A runaway’s tragic ending

Michael Franks told Carr he thought his sister, 17-year-old Dennetta Franks, was visiting family when she ran away from foster care in September 2017.              

“She called me. She was real frantic. She said she needed help. She said she needed to get out of there,” Franks said.

Franks had previously fostered a younger brother, but was serving in the U.S. Army when Dennetta went into DFCS custody. DFCS denied Franks guardianship of Dennetta because of his military deployment. 

When Franks received Dennetta’s call, he learned she was living in a Columbus hotel while DFCS looked for long-term care. 

When Dennetta ran away last September, she asked her brother to drive her to Atlanta.  

“I knew she wanted to see my dad,” Franks told Carr. “That’s the only reason I took her there. I didn’t know that would be the biggest mistake I’d make.” 

Days after arriving in the city, Dennetta was found shot to death in northwest Atlanta. 


Channel 2 Investigates:


Franks learned of his sister’s murder when a friend sent him a composite drawing made by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. He said he immediately knew the girl in the picture was Dennetta.

“I just felt like I failed her,” Franks said. “I know it wasn’t my fault, but I felt like I wasn’t there to protect her because I was always away.” 

How DFCS handles missing children

DFCS Chief of Staff Jeff Lukich told Carr that, in the rare case in which a child dies while in the state’s care, it is a blow.

“That’s a light that goes out, and we should all be concerned,” Lukich said.

DFCS follows a lengthy protocol when a child is missing, including contacting law enforcement agencies, notifying the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and using social media to search for the child. Lukich told Carr that on any given day there are 80 children missing from care.  
 
Lukich said finding quality foster parents is one of the division’s biggest challenges. He said DFCS uses hotels on a short-term basis as a last resort. According to her DFCS case file, Dennetta lived in a hotel for nearly three months.

“She was a child that had a history of running away,” Lukich said. “She’s a child that had a lot of specific needs as well.” 

Federal law addresses missing foster children

A change in federal law in 2014 mandates all state agencies that serve as guardians for children in foster care must report missing children to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. 

“The fact is that when they’re discharged and their cases are closed at the social services level, that’s concerning because that means no one is now looking for them,” said Robert Lowery with the NCMEC.

When Cox Media Group partners with WFXT in Boston asked how well Georgia performs when reporting to the NCMEC, he politely said that Georgia, along with many other states, had room to improve. 

“We have relationships established in the state of Georgia. Maybe our awareness isn’t, uh, where we’d like it to be about the services we offer and the mandate of the law,” Lowery said. “The social service network is large, and getting that information to those actually down in the field, doing the work, can be a challenge.”

According to federal records obtained by WFXT, child welfare agencies across the country have dropped more than 114,000 foster children labeled as “missing” or “runaways” from care since the year 2000. 

“When they go missing, there’s not a tearful parent there on television begging for their return,” Lowery said. “We’re reassurance that someone out there cares.”

Do you have a story you want our team to investigate? Submit a tip to 2 Investigates here.

Read More

News

  • While riders were excited to be able to get an early look at the new 'Star Wars': Ride of the Resistance ride Thursday, they were temporarily dismayed after learning the ride had to be evacuated. >> Read more trending news  Early goers took to Twitter at the park to say they experienced delays and “temporary suspension” of boarding. Those who arrived early were eventually able to board before the park distributed all passes for the day. 'Star Wars': Rise of the Resistance opened to the public Thursday morning inside 'Star Wars': Galaxy's Edge in Disney's Hollywood Studios. WFTV′s Jeff Levkulich was one of the first people to take the ride for a spin. See video of the ride below: The ride starts on Batuu in Galaxy’s Edge, but riders soon will find themselves right in the middle of a battle on board a star destroyer in space, with Kylo Ren in hot pursuit. 'This attraction has been in the making for many years now,' said Greg Johnson, the senior project coordinator for Disney Imagineer. 'It's one of the most epic, over the top experiences that we've ever conceived.' Riders will be able to see every detail pop, from the First Order troopers to wall decorations that will have park-goers feeling fully immersed in the experience. READ: 9 facts about Disney's newest ride 'Star Wars': Rise of the Resistance Disney hopes the ride will be able to resonate with fans who may have not seen the movies.
  • The 29th year of Clark’s Christmas Kids kicks off in Dunwoody today. This year the nearly two-week event is expected to provide gifts for more than 10,000 children in Georgia’s foster care system who otherwise might not get anything on Christmas morning. Jamie Kelley, who benefited from the program over the years, is thankful children like her aren’t forgotten for the holiday.  Now age 20, she entered the foster care system along with her five siblings when she was 11-years-old.  “I was distraught. It was hard because I didn’t know what was going on at a young age,” she tells WSB’s Sandra Parrish.  >>LISTEN TO SANDRA PARRISH’S FULL ON-AIR REPORT BELOW. While her brothers and sisters would eventually return home, Kelley remained in the system where she would go on to finish high school and is now a rising Senior at Georgia Gwinnett College with plans to go to graduate school.  “I am a first-generation college student and high school student; so, I wouldn’t be able to do all this at home if everything (didn’t) happen,” she says.  During those years, Kelley had no idea that many of those gifts she received for Christmas came from those who donated through Clark’s Christmas Kids.  “You never know; some kids don’t have Christmas. So, just to be able to get one gift… I think that was great to just have one gift to open on Christmas,” she says.  But more than the gifts she received, it was the messages that came with them that made the biggest impact on her life.  “The messages that they wrote like, ‘I see a future in you’ (and) ‘You’re going to do great in life, just keep pushing forward’; stuff like that can really can take a person a long way,” says Kelley.  She has kept all those messages in a box from over the years.  Kelley now looks back with no regrets, believing everything happens for a reason.  “I’m actually glad it happened, because I wouldn’t be here today if didn’t,” she says.  And Kelley loves giving back now that she’s older.  “Now since I’m at that age in life, I enjoy giving back. That’s one of my favorite things to do besides working and school,” she says.  You can donate to Clark’s Christmas Kids through Dec. 15th at ten Walmart locations throughout metro Atlanta. For more information, click here.
  • Christmas season is supposed to be a time of goodwill toward men. But one family is embracing a season that comes with a football helmet to the head. >> Read more trending news  Steve Schneider created the helmet hit around the world into a tree topper for his Christmas tree, WKYC reported. The topper is animated with the Cleveland Browns’ Myles Garrett hitting Pittsburgh Steelers’ quarterback Mason Rudolph with his helmet. Garrett was suspended by the NFL for the hit, The Washington Post reported. Rudolph was fined for his role, the NFL said.
  • Another, separate malfunction of Takata airbags is prompting the recall of an additional 1.4 million vehicles. >> Read more trending news  The latest airbag problem has led to at least one death. Previous recalls were linked to at least 24 deaths worldwide. The faulty airbags use a propellant that can deteriorate over time when exposed to moisture and explode too fast or not fully inflate. Most of the recalled inflators use ammonium nitrate to create a small explosion and inflate the airbags. But the chemical deteriorates when exposed to high temperatures and humidity and can burn too fast, blowing apart the canister designed to contain the explosion. The ruptured inflator can cause metal fragments to strike the driver or passengers. Underinflated airbags can not properly protect passengers in an accident. A driver in Australia died as a result of the faulty airbags. Another driver in Cyprus was injured because of them. The number of affected vehicles in the United States is unknown. Many of the vehicles with the airbags were installed in the 1990s and are no longer on the road, officials said. BMW is warning drivers of some older 3-series vehicles to stop driving them. About 8,000 definitely have faulty inflators and should be parked, BMW said. Another 116,000 3-Series cars from the 1999 to 2001 model years can still be driven but will be inspected. BMW intends to replace faulty inflators with new ones. The company says owners will be notified when parts are available. The recall also includes vehicles built by Audi, Honda, Toyota and Mitsubishi. Which models were not immediately known. Audi was trying to determine whether any 1997 to 1999 model year A4, A6, A8 or TT vehicles were affected. Toyota and Honda were working to determine which models had the issue. Mitsubishi indicated 1998 to 2000 Montero vehicles were impacted. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said she will ask Thursday for the drafting of articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump. >> Read more trending news  Update 12 p.m. Dec. 5: President Donald Trump slammed House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Thursday after she announced the House will move forward with articles of impeachment against him. “Nancy Pelosi just had a nervous fit,” Trump said. “She hates that we will soon have 182 great new judges and sooo much more.”  Pelosi told reporters Thursday that the president’s actions since being sworn into office left Democrats with “no choice but to act.” Pelosi previously declined to pursue articles of impeachment against Trump, but she said Thursday that the surfacing of a whistleblower complaint filed against Trump over the summer changed her mind. The whistleblower in August filed a complaint about concerns over Trump’s attempts to get Ukrainian officials to investigate one of his political rivals, former vice president and 2020 presidential hopeful Joe Biden. Update 11:45 a.m. Dec. 5: House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy is speaking with reporters after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced Thursday that the House will move forward with articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump. Update 11 a.m. EST Dec. 5: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is speaking with reporters after announcing earlier Thursday that the House plans to move forward with articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump. Counsels for Republicans and Democrats will present impeachment evidence Monday at a 9 a.m. hearing, according to Politico and Axios. The Judiciary Committee will also hold a hearing to mark up the articles of impeachment, according to Axios. Update 9:50 a.m. EST Dec. 5: Officials with President Donald Trump’s 2020 re-election campaign slammed the decision announced Thursday morning by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to draft articles of impeachment against Trump. “The facts are uncontested,” Pelosi said at a news conference Thursday morning. “The president abused his power for his own personal political benefit at the expense of our national security.” Marc Lotter, director of strategic communications for Trump’s 2020 campaign, said in a tweet that Democrats decided to impeach the president “over ‘feels’ not ‘facts.'” Campaign manager Brad Parscale accused Democrats of trying to “take the decision of who should be president out of the hands of voters.” “Impeaching the President has always been their goal, so they should just get on with it so we can have a fair trial in the Senate and expose The Swap for what it is,” he said. “Speaker Pelosi, Chairman (Adam) Schiff, and Hunter Biden should testify, and then we can get back to the business of our country.” Democrats have been building a case for impeachment against Trump based on his decision to ask Ukraine to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden, one of several Democrats vying for the 2020 presidential nomination. Trump has denied any wrongdoing. Update 9:30 a.m. EST Dec. 5: White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham said House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Democrats “should be ashamed” after the California politician announced plans to move forward with articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump.  “(Trump) has done nothing but lead our country - resulting in a booming economy, more jobs & a stronger military, to name just a few of his major accomplishments,” Grisham wrote Thursday morning in a tweet. “We look forward to a fair trial in the Senate.” Pelosi said Thursday morning that Trump’s decision to ask Ukraine for an investigation into his political rival, former Vice President Joe Biden, were “a profound violation of public’s trust.” “The president abused his power for his own personal political benefit at the expense of national security by withholding military aid and crucial Oval Office meeting in exchange for an announcement of an investigation into his political rival,” she said. Update 9:20 a.m. EST Dec. 5: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced Thursday morning that the House will move forward to draft articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump. “The facts are uncontested,” she said at a news conference Thursday morning. “The president abused his power for his own personal political benefit at the expense of our national security.” The announcement came one day after House Democrats held a closed-door meeting on impeachment, according to Cox Media Group’s Jamie Dupree. The House Judiciary Committee also held its first hearing Wednesday on impeachment. “Our democracy is what is at stake,” Pelosi said Thursday. “The president leaves us no choice but to act.” The historic announcement came as Democrats push toward a vote, possibly by Christmas. Original report: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi will give an update Thursday morning on the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump. The California Democrat plans to make the announcement from the Speaker’s Balcony Hallway at 9 a.m. EST. On Wednesday, the impeachment inquiry moved to the House Judiciary Committee as three of four law professors considered experts in impeachment from across the country testified they believe Trump’s action toward Ukraine constitutes bribery. The three professors – Pamela Karlan, Noah Feldman and Michael Gerhardt – were called by the Democrats. The fourth professor testifying Wednesday, Jonathan Turley, called by Republicans, did not agree. House Democrats launched the inquiry in September to investigate whether Trump abused his power by pressuring Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to announce investigations into former Vice President Joe Biden and Biden’s son, Hunter, and their connection to a Ukrainian energy company in exchange for an invitation to the White House and a military aid package. Read more here or here. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • Disney has released the latest trailer for its series of remakes. This time “Mulan” is getting the live-action treatment. The film, which stars Yifei Liu in the title role, follows Mulan’s story as she takes the place of her father in the Chinese army, disguised as a man to fight to defend her country, CNET reported. >> Read more trending news  Watch the trailer below: The film, which will hit theaters on March 27, also stars Donnie Yen as Commander Tung, Jet Li as the emperor and Jason Scott Lee as Bori Khan.