ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
76°
T-storms
H 89° L 72°
  • cloudy-day
    76°
    Current Conditions
    T-storms. H 89° L 72°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    89°
    Today
    T-storms. H 89° L 72°
  • cloudy-day
    92°
    Tomorrow
    Partly Cloudy. H 92° L 74°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Local
5 dead, more than 300 hospitalized in Georgia as flu spreads, GDPH says
Close

5 dead, more than 300 hospitalized in Georgia as flu spreads, GDPH says

5 dead, more than 300 hospitalized in Georgia as flu spreads, GDPH says
Photo Credit: WSB-TV

5 dead, more than 300 hospitalized in Georgia as flu spreads, GDPH says

The flu in Georgia is spreading quickly, with hospitals reporting an increase of flu-related cases in recent weeks. 

More than 300 have been hospitalized and five people have died from flu-related illnesses since the Georgia Department of Public Health began its 2017-2018 flu surveillance in the first week of October, according to department officials. The five people who died were all elderly and at least three had underlying medical conditions, DPH Director of Communications Nancy Nydam said.  

Last year there were nine flu-related deaths, the previous year there were seven and three years ago there were 28, according to Nydam.

The predominant strain of flu circulating in Georgia and around the country is the H3N2 form of influenza A, a Friday press release said. DPH Commissioner Dr. J. Patrick O’Neal advised that it is not too late to get a flu shot.

“Every individual over the age of six months should get a flu vaccine — not just for their own protection, but to protect others around them who may be more vulnerable to the flu and its complications,” O’Neal said in a statement. 

Grady Health System’s emergency department visits are up 7 to 10 percent because of recent flu or flu-like illnesses, a spokeswoman said. Visitor restrictions, which the CDC has recommended as a prevention strategy, have not yet been implemented.


TRENDING STORIES:


Beth Hardy, spokeswoman at Gwinnett Medical Center, said they have an adequate supply of medicine to fight the flu, but they also have companies on standby should they need to refill in a hurry.

She said the staff is asking anyone with flu symptoms to not visit the hospital “for the safety of our patients.”

WellStar hospitals are not restricting visitations because of the flu, said spokesman Tyler Pearson.

He said they've seen a 10 percent increase in flu-like symptoms this week compared to last week throughout the hospital system's 11 Georgia facilities.

“We have seen an uptick in patients, specifically pediatric patients,” he said.

Children's Healthcare of Atlanta tells Channel 2 Action News there has been an increase in child flu cases this season. Confirmed child flu cases at CHOA hospitals have more than doubled over the past few weeks from an average of 12 percent to 28 percent. 

The increase could possibly be explained by fewer children getting flu vaccinations. 

“A number of those children have been admitted to the hospital, where they’ve required hospitalization for assistance with breathing,” Dr. Andi Shane told the station. “Also, one of the other problems that’s associated with flu infections is hydration and difficulty taking in fluids."

CHOA is currently under visitor restrictions to protect patients from the cold and flu season, a spokeswoman said. 

If a child shows severe symptoms they should be taken to a pediatrician and then the emergency room if necessary, doctors say. 

 

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

News

  • Showers and storms are moving across parts of metro Atlanta right now.  A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for Stephens, Habersham, Rabun and Oconee counties until 4:45 p.m. Severe Weather Team 2 is tracking the timing of rain in your neighborhood, on Channel 2 Action News at 6 p.m. Storms will increase across north Georgia later Saturday morning and into the afternoon.  A Severe Thunderstorm Watch is in effect for northeast Georgia until 4 p.m. Saturday. SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH: A severe thunderstorm watch is in effect until 4pm for northwest Georgia as a cluster of strong storms moves in out of Alabama. We'll be watching it closely through the afternoon. @wsbtv pic.twitter.com/SoKhpozYro — Brian Monahan, WSB (@BMonahanWSB) June 23, 2018 The main risks are heavy rain, frequent lightning, and strong 40 to 60 mph wind gusts, Severe Weather Team 2 Meteorologist Brian Monahan said. Showers and storms will be widespread today across north GA -- here's hoping we can find some windows to get the game in today @SunTrustPark! First place @Braves and @Orioles at 4:10pm. #ChopOn pic.twitter.com/TKtDp3hYBC — Brian Monahan, WSB (@BMonahanWSB) June 23, 2018 [DOWNLOAD: WSB-TV's Weather App for alerts on severe weather] “After storms move through today, we’ll get into a drier weather pattern as a ridge of high pressure builds aloft,” Monahan said. “That will shift the greatest chance of storms tomorrow toward the north Georgia mountains.”  This pattern will continue into Wednesday, with a 20 to 30 percent chance of storms each day.  With drier weather moving in, temperatures will push into the low to mid 90s. What can you get only by watching Channel 2 Action News?  1. Updated hour-by-hour cloud and rain forecast showing the timeline of evening showers and storms and the preferred location for storms Sunday into early this week. 2. Updated severe weather outlook for Saturday evening. 3. A specific breakdown of where the highest chance of rain is Sunday.    Powerful storms downed trees and power lines across the Atlanta metro Friday evening and more are possible throughout the weekend.  One of the giant trees in Colette Inomata’s East Cobb backyard came crashing to the ground during the storms.  “I jumped up, looked in my backyard and the trees were sideways, and I’ve never seen anything like this in my entire life,” Inomata told Channel 2’s Justin Wilfon .  Inomata and her son told Wilfon they were inside their home when the storm blew through.  “All of a sudden the sound just shifted dramatically, and I heard this whish, whish sound or something.  I don’t know what it was,” Inomata said.  That’s when she said they headed for a downstairs closet.  “I’m more of the panicker, so I was screaming for them to come downstairs and take cover immediately. I think they sensed from my voice tone that something was really wrong,” Inomata told Wilfon. TRENDING STORIES: SWAT team called to home after man shoots mother, police say Georgia teachers can get free school supplies from Kroger 4 Wendy's employees accused of dealing meth at restaurant Then the family noticed the large tree laying across their backyard. “I was really shook up. You keep thinking of the what ifs and what it could have been,” Inomata said. “I’m grateful. Feeling blessed that it wasn’t the house or the kids or anything like that.” The storms weakened throughout the evening Friday as they moved east out of Georgia. The threat of severe weather will pick back up with the heating of the day on Saturday. “As we head into the afternoon there are better rain chances,” said Severe Weather Team 2’s Brad Nitz.  Nitz said another round of possible severe storms will move into north Georgia after 6 p.m. Saturday.  “These storms could have heavy rain, gusty wind, lightning and even some small hail,” Nitz said.  Highs Saturday will reach the high 80s, close to 90 throughout the metro.  Things will heat up a bit Sunday, with temperatures in the low 90s. Rain chances are expected to increase by midweek.   A Minute-by-Minute look at the storms: 10 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for Floyd and Bartow counties until 10:30 p.m. 7:02 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for Spalding, Meriwether, Fayette, Pike, Heard, Coweta and Lamar counties until 7:30 p.m. 6:37 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for Heard and Coweta counties until 7p.m. 6:36 p.m.: Storms have downed a number of trees across Milton Weather/Traffic Alert: Evening storms have downed a number of trees across #MiltonGa. 14660 Freemanville Road completely blocked. Hope to have road reopened in 2-2.5 hrs. Drivers navigate carefully--trees & road crews in the roadway. Please RT.— City of Milton (@cityofmiltonga) June 22, 2018 6:16 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for Meriwether, Troup and Coweta counties until 7 p.m. New severe thunderstorm warning until 7pm for this storm moving into LaGrange with 60+ mph gusts possible. pic.twitter.com/IHxvo9E5gg — Brad Nitz (@BradNitzWSB) June 22, 2018 6:13 p.m.: Georgia Power is reporting about 4,100 customers are currently without power across metro: Per @GeorgiaPower 4,100 customers are in the dark in the Metro due to storms. #StormWatchOn2 — Katie Walls (@KatieWallsWSB) June 22, 2018 6:10 p.m. A viewer sent in a picture of a tree down across the road along Whitlock Avenue in Marietta: We just got in this photo of a tree down on Whitlock Ave. in Marietta. We're tracking the storms NOW on Channel 2: https://t.co/WRRkDYmnJn pic.twitter.com/2f29JqAdS9 — WSB-TV (@wsbtv) June 22, 2018 6:06 p.m. Channel 2's Lauren Pozen just tweeted this video of heavy rain in Buckhead Total downpour right now in Buckhead. Wind,rain and thunder. Low visibility. Rain coming down in sheets. #StormWatchOn2 pic.twitter.com/6uuPx059An — Lauren Pozen WSB (@LaurenPozenWSB) June 22, 2018 6:04 p.m. a Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for DeKalb, Douglas, Clayton and Fulton counties until 6:45 p.m. 6:01 p.m.: The Forsyth County Sheriff's Office is warning about fallen trees and powerlines: ***WEATHER/TRAFFIC ALERT*** FCSO has trees and power lines down on the following roadways in southwest Forsyth. Valley Stream Drive Post Road at Derby Trail is CLOSED Majors Road near Castleberry Road Use extreme caution while driving.— ForsythCountySO (@ForsythCountySO) June 22, 2018 5:58 p.m.: Channel 2's Richard Elliot is reporting that a tree has fallen across Interstate 20.  Ugh. Tree down on I-20WB about two miles west of Lee Rd. It's affecting traffic all the way back past Thornton Rd. pic.twitter.com/zunLK8D8Al — Richard Elliot (@RElliotWSB) June 22, 2018
  • Two sinkholes have opened on Venture Drive near Gwinnett Place Mall in Duluth, a county spokesman said. The road is closed between Steve Reynolds Boulevard and Pleasant Hill Road, a block from the mall’s entrance. The holes, which closed the road right in front of a Sam’s Club, are related to privately owned pipes which were not draining properly, according to spokesman Joe Sorenson. The road is also privately owned. READ | Study: Here’s how much you have to make to afford to live in Gwinnett One of the sinkholes could be seen just beyond caution tape. It was wider and longer than a car and at least five feet deep. The orange helmet of a construction worker peeked out from the hole at the edge of the cratered pavement. County workers from the water, transportation and police departments have responded to the sinkholes and are monitoring the situation, Sorenson said. The county is working to remedy the situation and re-open the road as soon as it is safe. The sinkholes do not block access to the mall, which is on the other side of Pleasant Hill Drive. Like Gwinnett County News on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter and Instagram Stay up to the minute with breaking news on Channel 2 Action News This Morning
  • Trump administration officials say the U.S. government knows the location of all children in its custody after separating them from their families at the border and is working to reunite them. A fact sheet on 'zero-tolerance prosecution and family reunification' released Saturday night by the Department of Health and Human Services also says a parent must request that their child be deported with them. In the past, the agency says, many parents have elected to be deported without their children. That may be a reflection of violence or persecution they face in their home countries. As part of the effort, HHS says Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials have posted notices in all its facilities advising detained parents who are trying to find or communicate with their children to call a hotline staffed 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday. A parent or guardian trying to determine if a child is in the custody of HHS should contact the Office of Refugee Resettlement National Call Center at 1-800-203-7001, or via email information@ORRNCC.com. Information will be collected and sent to HHS funded facility where minor is located. HHS doesn't state how long it might take to reunite families. The Port Isabel Service Processing Center in Texas has been set up as the staging ground for the families to be reunited prior to deportation. How the government would reunite families has been unclear because the families are first stopped by Customs and Border Patrol, with children taken into custody by HHS and adults detained through ICE. Children have been sent to shelters around the country, raising alarm that parents might never know where their children can be found. The HHS fact sheet states that ICE has implemented an identification mechanism to ensure on-going tracking of linked family members throughout the detention and removal process; designated detention locations for separated parents and will enhance current processes to ensure communication with children in HHS custody; worked closely with foreign consulates to ensure that travel documents are issued for both the parent and child at time of removal; and coordinated with HHS for the reuniting of the child prior to the parents' departure from the U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday ordered the practice of separating parents and their children to stop. As of last Wednesday, 2,053 minors who were separated at the border were being cared for in HHS-funded facilities, HHS said. ___ Online: HHS zero-tolerance prosecution and family reunification fact sheet: http://apne.ws/qjYtmJR ___ Office of Refugee Resettlement National Call Center: Htto://www.acf.hhs.gov/orr/resource/orr-national-call-center
  • A 9-year-old English bulldog was named the winner of the 2018 World's Ugliest Dog contest in the San Francisco Bay Area. Zsa Zsa won the title Saturday night at the Sonoma-Marin Sonoma-Marin Fairgrounds in Petaluma. The dog's owner Megan Brainard of Anoka, Minnesota, will receive $1,500 for Zsa Zsa's win. Brainard found Zsa Zsa on a pet-finding site, according to the contest bio. Dogs in the annual competition flaunt their imperfections - some have hairless bodies, others have lolling tongues. The dogs and their handlers walk down a red carpet. The dogs are evaluated by a panel of judges. The contestants included a blackhead-covered Chinese Crested-Dachshund mutt, a bulldog mix with excess wrinkly skin and a Pekingese named Wild Thang. Last year's winner was a 125-pound (57-kilogram) gentle giant named Martha — a Neopolitan Mastiff with gas and a droopy face. The contest is in its 30th year. It is usually held on Friday nights, but organizers moved the competition to Saturday in an effort to draw a bigger audience.
  • A two-year old trapped under a massive pile of rocks in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, was released from the hospital Saturday, thanks to a police officer with a unique talent. >> Read more trending news  It turned out the responding Portsmouth officer, T.J. Potter, had previous experience as a professional stone mason and specialized in historical foundation repair. Potter's experience helped him accurately assess the danger the child was in and properly remove the slabs from on top of the child. '[It was] a five man stone or a five man block which indicated that you would need four to five people to life it and set it on a wall, and we have done stones like that and built with stones like that, so I knew we could lift it by hand,' Potter said. 'I think that was the main concern – can we lift it off the boy?' Authorities responded to 325 Little Harbor Road after a distress call about a 2-year-old trapped under a pile of rocks.  >> Trending: Mass. Gov. Charlie Baker’s son accused of sexually assaulting woman on JetBlue flight When officers arrived, they found the boy pinned between large slabs of stone. The boy had been playing on top one of the stone slabs with his grandfather when the slab he was standing on dislodged. The child fell forward and was trapped by the slab, which came to rest on his head. The stone slabs are being used to build a foundation for a seawall and each slab is estimated to weigh several hundred pounds. The situation was highly delicate, police said, because one of the stone slabs was resting on the child's head, and could have given way at any moment, putting the child at risk of sustaining the full weight of the stone on his head. After a coordinated effort by police and firefighters, rescuers freed the boy in about nine minutes. The child's parents were able to keep him calm as first responders worked their way around the stone slabs and rescued him. >> Trending: 4 children killed in violent police standoff laid to rest in Florida The child was first given emergency medical treatment at the scene then transported to the Portsmouth Regional Hospital where he was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
  • The Latest on the annual World's Ugliest Dog Contest in Northern California (all times local): 8:23 p.m. A 9-year-old English bulldog was named the winner of the 2018 World's Ugliest Dog contest in the San Francisco Bay Area. Zsa Zsa won the title Saturday in the competition where dogs with hairless bodies and lolling tongues flaunt their imperfections. The dogs walk down a red carpet and are evaluated by a panel of judges. The winner takes home $1,500. Zsa Zsa's owner is Megan Brainard of Anoka, Minnesota. The event was held at the Sonoma-Marin Sonoma-Marin Fairgrounds in Petaluma. Last year's winner was a 125-pound (57-kilogram) gentle giant named Martha — a Neopolitan Mastiff with gas and a droopy face. ___ 2:31 p.m. Dogs with hairless bodies and lolling tongues will flaunt their imperfections as they compete to win the 2018 World's Ugliest Dog contest in the San Francisco Bay Area. The event is taking place Saturday this year at the Sonoma-Marin Fairgrounds in Petaluma, a departure from previous years when it was held on Friday. Organizers say they wanted more people to attend. This year's dogs include a blackhead-covered Chinese Crested-Dachshund mutt and a bulldog mix with excess wrinkly skin. The dogs walk down a red carpet and are evaluated by a panel of judges. The winner takes home $1,500. Last year's winner was a 125-pound (57-kilogram) gentle giant named Martha — a Neopolitan Mastiff with gas and a droopy face.