Partly Cloudy T-storms
H 90° L 70°
  • cloudy-day
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy T-storms. H 90° L 70°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    Partly Cloudy T-storms. H 90° L 70°
  • clear-day
    Mostly Clear. H 90° L 70°

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Local Govt & Politics
Feds investigate guns linked to former Atlanta official

Feds investigate guns linked to former Atlanta official

Jim Beard's lawyer says Atlanta Ethics Officer Jabu Sengova should be disqualified from prosecuting the ethics case related to Beard’s credit card use because she made $300 in political contributions to the campaigns of judges running for Fulton Superior Court.

Feds investigate guns linked to former Atlanta official

Two military-style rifles and two semi-automatic pistols linked to the city’s former chief financial officer are now the subject of the federal corruption investigation at Atlanta City Hall.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office issued a seven-point subpoena to the city last week demanding a range of information related to former Chief Financial Officer Jim Beard, including records associated with the purchase and distribution of the guns and a so-called “red dot” scope.

Statements from Beard’s city-issued credit card show he made at least two purchases at gun distributors since 2016, according to documents obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution last year.

The subpoena, obtained Tuesday by the AJC through an open records request, is the sixth targeting former Mayor Kasim Reed or members of his inner circle. Beard was one of Reed’s closest confidants as head of the Finance Department.

The Beard subpoena also asks for documents related to two invoices to the city by a vendor named Jimmie A. Beard, with an address of Atlanta City Hall. Beard often goes by the first name Jimmie.

The invoices are for $20,000 and $10,000, and are from 2014 and 2016, AJC reporters found — years in which Beard served as the city’s finance chief.

Beard’s attorney Scott Grubman says the information demanded by federal prosecutors amounts to nothing.

“As Mr. Beard has consistently stated, he is personally unaware of any wrongdoing by anyone at the City during his tenure as CFO,” Grubman wrote in an email. “After over a year of overturning every rock and sorting through every haystack, the government has been unable to uncover one single piece of evidence against Mr. Beard.”

On May 25, 2016, Beard used his city credit card to cover a $735.77 bill at G.T. Distributors, a gun shop in Rossville. Four months later, he used the card to cover a $416 expense at Law Tactical, a distributor near Philadelphia, according to credit card statements obtained by the AJC last year.

Beard did not provide the city with receipts or justifications for either expense, as is required by city’s credit card policy.

Top-shelf weapons

Beard told the AJC last summer that his department worked with police officers on Reed’s Executive Protection Unit “to secure equipment when needed in an expedited fashion.” Each member of Reed’s protection unit had their own city-issued credit card.

Beard’s use of public money was already under scrutiny.

Federal investigations requested Beard’s credit card statements from the city after the AJC and Channel 2 Action News reported that he covered a $10,000 Paris hotel bill with his card. Beard repaid the city after the AJC requested the statements last summer — more than a year after he used the card to pay the hotel bill.

Beard also used his credit card to cover an $8,000 tab at American Cut, one of the city’s finest steakhouses where he hosted a going away party for Reed and all 32 members of the mayor’s cabinet in December 2017.

A city audit found that Beard improperly charged travel expenses to his city-issued credit card while attending board meetings of the Municipal Securities Rulemaking Board, and that Beard did not report outside income as an MSRB board member on his city financial disclosures.

At least seven times since 2016, Beard used his city credit card to pay for airfare, hotels and ground transportation when traveling to MSRB meetings, which the auditor cited as improper. MSRB spokeswoman Jennifer Galloway said Tuesday that the organization reimburses board members “for MSRB related travel, actual and reasonable expenses.”

The subpoena demands records related to reimbursements made to Beard for travel.

The MSRB did not respond to an AJC request under the Freedom of Information Act for documentation of any expenses submitted by Beard for his time on the board because they are not a government agency. It is unknown if Beard requested reimbursement from the agency.

Other information sought by federal prosecutors include Beard’s personnel file, compensation, disciplinary history, ethics pledges and financial disclosure statements.

Attorney Matthew Kilgo, author of “Georgia Gun Law, Armed and Educated,” said the weapons listed on the subpoena are all top-shelf. They are two AR-15s are manufactured by Daniel Defense, a Georgia gun maker with a facility near Savannah that Kilgo said makes “some of the best on the market.”

The subpoena also lists two Glock pistols, a model 43 and a model 19. And Kilgo called the sight “very high end.”

“He’s got some great taste in guns,” Kilgo said. When asked why a finance director might use public money to buy weapons, Kilgo responded: “You don’t have to be a lawyer to know that doesn’t sound right.”

Data specialist Jennifer Peebles contributed to this story. 

Our reporting

June 20, 2018: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Beard used his city issued card to pay $8,100 of a $12,500 farewell dinner for former Mayor Kasim Reed.

June 27, 2018: The AJC reports that CFO Jim Beard used his city-issued credit card to pay for a $10,277 Shangri-La stay in April 2017. Beard repaid taxpayers on April 17, 2018 — weeks after The AJC and Channel 2 Action News obtained statements for his city-issued credit card.

Jan. 2, 2019: The AJC reports that the city’s Ethics Officer has filed a complaint against Beard alleging that he improperly spent nearly $150,000 on his city issued credit card.

Jan. 21, 2019: The AJC reports on the Atlanta City Council’s new credit card policy that was drafted because of the news organization’s reporting.

Read More


  • Deputies routinely pull over speeders. However, a Florida deputy had the opposite issue when traffic was slowed down by a gopher tortoise taking a leisurely stroll along the highway. >> Read more trending news  Deputy Leonard Fontenot 'conducted a traffic stop' on the animal for 'impeding traffic flow,' officials with the St. Johns County Sheriff's Office wrote in a Facebook post published Friday. The result was a selfie with Fontenot and the tortoise. The tortoise was trudging along the Nocatee Parkway south of Jacksonville when Fontenot approached the 'Gopherus Genus, exact age unknown.' According to the Facebook post, the tortoise 'failed to clear the roadway' when asked to do so by Fontentot. But after a 'heartfelt conversation' about risks of walking on a roadway while vehicles sped past, the tortoise was released. 'Gopherus was cooperative during the remainder of my encounter with him, so I chose to use discretion and let him go with a warning,' Fontenot was quoted in the Facebook post. 'In fact, our interaction was so positive, we posed for a selfie together!' Gopher tortoises, actually known as Gopherus polyphemus, and their burrows are protected by state law, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. The animal can live between 40 to 60 years in the wild and more than 90 years in captivity, according to the commission's website.
  • Friends and family are asking for the public's help after they say 23-year-old University of Utah student MacKenzie Lueck went missing after taking a Lyft ride from an airport. In a news release, the Salt Lake City Police Department said Lueck returned to Salt Lake City after visiting family on June 17. She took a Lyft from Salt Lake City Airport to an address in North Salt Lake, Utah, early Monday morning.  The Salt Lake Tribune reported that Lueck was in her home state of California for her grandmother's funeral. When she returned to Salt Lake City, she texted her parents around 1 a.m. Lueck's parents reported her missing Thursday afternoon, according to the publication. She is 5 feet, 6 inches tall with blond, medium-length hair and weighs about 120 lbs, KUTV reported. CBS News reported that her best friend, Juliana Cauley, said Lueck doesn't live in North Salt Lake and she doesn't know why she went there.  >> Read more trending news  'SLCPD has been conducting a missing persons investigation and have spoken with both Lyft as well as the Lyft driver,' the department said in the news release. 'Lyft and their driver have cooperated with the investigation.' “We don’t have anyone searching any particular area right now because we don’t have any credible evidence of where she might be,' Sgt. Brandon Shearer told The Salt Lake Tribune. A representative for Lyft told CBS News there were no irregularities with Lueck's ride and that it ended at the destination she entered on the app and the driver continue to pick up and drop off other customers right after Lueck arrived at her destination. 'We recognize how scary this must be for those who know and love Ms. Lueck,' Lyft said in a statement to KSTU. 'The safety of our community is fundamental to Lyft and we are actively assisting law enforcement with their investigation.' 'Our primary goal is to find Mackenzie and bring her home,' Lueck's family said in a statement to KUTV. 'Her family is grateful for the concern, prayers and the tireless efforts of the Salt Lake City Police and members of the community.' 'The SLCPD has not discovered any information that would lead us to believe that Mackenzie has been harmed or is in danger at this time,' the department said. 'Detectives are concerned for Mackenzie’s welfare. If anyone has any information on Mackenzie or where she may be, please contact SLCPD at (801)799-3000 re: case 19-111129.
  • A 25-year-old Texas man was electrocuted early Sunday after possibly trying to steal copper from a transformer on a telephone pole in Dallas, police said. >> Read more trending news  Gabrield Monjaraz, was found dead by police about 30 feet away from the transformer after authorities responded to a 911 caller at 3:12 a.m. who said she heard gunshots, WFAA reported. When first responders arrived, they thought Monjaraz had been hit by a vehicle, The Dallas Morning News reported. However, the Dallas County medical examiner determined Monjaraz had been electrocuted. >> Alabama man electrocuted while stealing electricity, sheriff says After investigating the scene, police found Monjaraz was wearing rubber gloves and the nearby transformer had black marks on it, KTVT reported.
  • Topgolf wants to build a new driving range in Gwinnett. The golf range company has been long suspected as the “golf entertainment complex” proposed for the forthcoming Exchange at Gwinnett mixed-use development. Those suspicions were confirmed when the Texas company filed permit applications with the county planning and development department on May 30. MORE | Brewery, food hall proposed for new development near Mall of Georgia READ | Gwinnett greenlights big mixed-use project near Mall of Georgia Topgolf is a popular driving range company that offers a video game-like experience to players featuring colorfully lit targets and microchipped golf balls. The ranges also feature bars and arcade games. There are currently two metro Atlanta Topgolf locations: one near Atlantic Station in Atlanta and another in Alpharetta. The 14-acre range would be part of the Exchange at Gwinnett, a 64-acre mixed-use development near the Mall of Georgia and Coolray Field. Plans including the “golf entertainment complex” that could become Topgolf have already been approved. Initial plans also included 500 apartments, restaurants, retail space, a hotel and a fitness center. A plan for an additional 34.5 acres including a food hall, brewery space and rooftop bar have been recommended for approval by the county and will likely see a public hearing on July 2. The additional space would also include a medical building, movie theater and 500 more apartments, taking the total number of living units to 1,000.  The planning and development department has not yet made a recommendation for approval or denial regarding the Topgolf permit applications to the Gwinnett County Board of Commissioners. Like Gwinnett County News on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter and InstagramStay up to the minute with breaking news on Channel 2 Action News This Morning
  • An estate sale purchase has shined a new light on the cleanup efforts that followed in the weeks and months after the attacks on September 11. CD-ROMS containing thousands of photos of Ground Zero recovery were recently purchased at an estate sale.  Now the photos show the damage and devastation left behind after hijackers flew American Airlines Flight 11 and United Flight 175 into the Twin Towers 18 minutes apart. Dr. Johnathan Burgess told the BBC his partner found the photos at the sale. “Generally these items are neglected at sales. It’s very likely these would be in a dumpster by now had we not gone,” Burgess told the BBC. >> Read more trending news  Jason Scott was able to upload the photos to Flickr after a CD recovery service was able to save the images. “It’s a miracle the discs transferred so well. CD-ROMS of that age are pretty spotty,” Scott said. >>Photos: New images from Ground Zero discovered on CD-Rom bought at estate sale Now the pair have a mystery to solve: Who took the photos? Burgess and Scott have not found the photographer and the person’s relatives. The CDs were bought at the sale in Massachusetts and were originally purchased to collect and archive vintage media, WCBS reported. Most of the photos that were bought were images of babies and vacations. The images from Ground Zero were believed to have been taken by a construction or recovery worker, WCBS reported. If anyone knows who took the photos, they’re being asked to contact Burgess and Scott at gzphotos@texfiles.com.
  • The beginning of summer means more barbecues, but a South Florida cookout nearly turned deadly Sunday afternoon when flames from a grill engulfed a couple's townhome. >> Read more trending news  According to Broward County Sheriff's Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Michael B, Kane, the couple was grilling steaks on the patio of their single-story townhome in Deerfield Beach, the Sun-Sentinel reported. “The home is totally gutted,” Kane told the newspaper. “It’s pretty much a loss at this point.” >> 6 tips for safe and fun summer grilling Kane said the man was flipping steaks on the rear patio of his home when 'The flames spread out of control” toward the townhome. “He was in very close proximity to the home with his grill,” Kane told the Sun-Sentinel. The man immediately called 911, and about 30 firefighters arrived to find flames burning through the roof of the townhome, WSVN reported.  It took firefighters about 30 minutes to put out the blaze, the Miami Herald reported. >> What to know about propane safety before firing up gas grill The man and woman managed to evacuate unharmed, Kane told reporters. They are staying with 'friends and family nearby,' Kane said. Grilling can be a fun experience, but Kane said residents should be aware of the risks and be prepared. “A fire can grow to double its size every 60 seconds,” Kane told the Herald. “Residents are encouraged to have an escape plan in the event of a fire or other emergency.”