Partly Cloudy T-storms
H 90° L 70°
  • cloudy-day
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy T-storms. H 90° L 70°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    Partly Cloudy T-storms. H 90° L 70°
  • clear-day
    Mostly Clear. H 90° L 70°

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Health Med Fit Science
New gene tests for germs quickly reveal source of infections

New gene tests for germs quickly reveal source of infections

New gene tests for germs quickly reveal source of infections
Photo Credit: AP Photo/Marilynn Marchione
In this March 15, 2019 photo, Brian Jetter poses for a portrait in La Jolla, Calif. In 2018 at 40, he was suddenly battling pneumonia and sepsis, and a slew of tests had failed to find the cause. But a high-tech genetic test was used to search his blood for bits of non-human genetic material from viruses, fungi and the like. It detected unusual bacteria that probably got into the Connecticut man's lungs when he choked and accidentally inhaled bits of a burger weeks earlier. (AP Photo/Marilynn Marchione)

New gene tests for germs quickly reveal source of infections

Brian Jetter was on life support, a healthy 40-year-old suddenly battling pneumonia and sepsis, and a slew of tests had failed to find the cause.

Mystery illnesses like this kill thousands of people each year when germs can't be identified fast enough to reveal the right treatment. Now genetic tests are helping to solve these cases.

One finally was used to search Jetter's blood for bits of non-human genetic material from viruses, fungi and the like. It detected unusual bacteria that probably got into the Connecticut man's lungs when he choked and accidentally inhaled bits of a burger weeks earlier.

With the right medicine, he recovered and went home to his 5-year-old son.

"I realized how fragile life is," Jetter said. "No matter how healthy you are, the smallest microbe can destroy you."

Doctors routinely use genetic tests to spot inherited diseases and guide cancer treatment. But using them to detect infectious diseases is so new that few doctors and even fewer patients know they're available. A study of one test is published in Thursday's New England Journal of Medicine.

They are modernizing a field long overdue for an overhaul.

To identify bacteria, labs still rely on century-old techniques from Louis Pasteur — putting a few drops of blood or other sample in a lab dish and waiting days or sometimes weeks to see what germs grow. To test for a virus, a doctor usually has to guess what the patient is sick with. Testing for a fungus or some other things can take a long time.

Several companies and university labs now offer gene-based tests on blood or spinal fluid. Once fragments of foreign DNA or other genetic material are found, their code is analyzed, or sequenced, to identify bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites causing sepsis, meningitis, encephalitis and other deadly illnesses.

"The key advantage of sequencing is it can look for everything at once" rather than doing separate tests for each virus or other microbe that's suspected, said Dr. Charles Chiu, a microbiologist at the University of California, San Francisco.

He led the New England Journal study that tried a spinal fluid test on 204 children and adults with meningitis or encephalitis, dangerous illnesses that aren't always caused by an infection.

The gene test wasn't perfect. It missed some cases, but also found others that standard tests missed.

In all, 58 infections were diagnosed. The gene test matched standard lab findings in 19 cases, it found 13 more that standard testing missed, and missed 26 that the standard tests eventually found.

Doctors say the gene-based tests could be a fast, non-invasive first step for serious or unusual cases.

"For infectious disease, you need to know the answer today," because a patient's risk of dying goes up the longer the cause isn't found, said Dr. Asim Ahmed, medical director at Karius Inc.

The Redwood City, California, company sells a blood test developed by Stanford University scientists that searches for 1,200 bacteria, fungi, viruses and parasites at once and gives a result within two days. The test showed high agreement with standard lab testing in a study in the journal Nature Microbiology.

"The biggest issue is the cost" — around $2,000 for the Karius test, said Ali Torkamani, a San Diego scientist who directs a genetics conference that featured these tests in March. More competition may lower the price and lead to wider use, he said.

Karius has its own lab for its test. Other companies offer software and tools that hospitals can use to develop their own gene-based tests. One of them, Arc Bio, based in California and Massachusetts, offers virus testing from blood and gives an answer in less than two days.

IDbyDNA, based in San Francisco, uses a Utah lab that works with 3,000 U.S. hospitals. It gives an answer in about 48 hours once a sample arrives, said its chief medical officer, Dr. Robert Schlaberg, a University of Utah pathologist.

So far, hospitals are using these tests for the worst cases — long, unexplained illnesses or very vulnerable patients such as children and people with cancer or weak immune systems.

Dr. Asha Shah tried one for the first time last year, when Jetter was rapidly getting worse at Stamford Hospital in Connecticut.

"He had multiple blood tests, chest X-ray, CAT scan, you name it," she said. "I thought, this doesn't make sense, why aren't we getting any answers?"

The Karius test revealed unusual oral bacteria in his lungs, suggesting he'd inhaled some while choking on the burger.

An even more unusual story emerged when Dr. Amir Khan, an infectious disease specialist at Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana, Illinois, ordered a Karius test for 47-year-old Ryan Springer, who doctors first suspected of having cancer.

"Breathing made my lungs feel like they were on fire," said Springer, a radio station program director in Champaign, Illinois.

He turned out to have tularemia, sometimes called "rabbit fever," which can come from inhaling bacteria from infected rodents or running over their droppings with a lawn mower. With the right treatment, he recovered.

"This is the future of medicine," Khan said. When patients are very sick, "every minute and hour counts."


Marilynn Marchione can be followed at http://twitter.com/MMarchioneAP .


The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute's Department of Science Education. The AP is solely responsible for all content.

Read More


  • River “Oakley” Nimmo wanted to be in the Army when he grew up, but he will never have the chance after losing his battle with cancer.  The 5-year-old died last week after a 3-year battle, KTHV reported. According to River’s obituary, “Oakley spent most of this life, fighting to live and did it with a smile on his face. In between hospital stays, Oakley spent his free time driving his power wheels and shooting his toy guns. He often talked about being an “Army Man,” as he called it, when he grew up.” >> Read more trending news  The child’s parents are now asking current and past members of the military to come to their son’s funeral Tuesday, dressed in full dress uniform to honor their son’s dream. The service will be held at Cullendale First Baptist Church in Camden, Arkansas, with burial following at Furr Cemetery in Locust Bayou, Arkansas.
  • Deputies routinely pull over speeders. However, a Florida deputy had the opposite issue when traffic was slowed down by a gopher tortoise taking a leisurely stroll along the highway. >> Read more trending news  Deputy Leonard Fontenot 'conducted a traffic stop' on the animal for 'impeding traffic flow,' officials with the St. Johns County Sheriff's Office wrote in a Facebook post published Friday. The result was a selfie with Fontenot and the tortoise. The tortoise was trudging along the Nocatee Parkway south of Jacksonville when Fontenot approached the 'Gopherus Genus, exact age unknown.' According to the Facebook post, the tortoise 'failed to clear the roadway' when asked to do so by Fontentot. But after a 'heartfelt conversation' about risks of walking on a roadway while vehicles sped past, the tortoise was released. 'Gopherus was cooperative during the remainder of my encounter with him, so I chose to use discretion and let him go with a warning,' Fontenot was quoted in the Facebook post. 'In fact, our interaction was so positive, we posed for a selfie together!' Gopher tortoises, actually known as Gopherus polyphemus, and their burrows are protected by state law, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. The animal can live between 40 to 60 years in the wild and more than 90 years in captivity, according to the commission's website.
  • Friends and family are asking for the public's help after they say 23-year-old University of Utah student MacKenzie Lueck went missing after taking a Lyft ride from an airport. In a news release, the Salt Lake City Police Department said Lueck returned to Salt Lake City after visiting family on June 17. She took a Lyft from Salt Lake City Airport to an address in North Salt Lake, Utah, early Monday morning.  The Salt Lake Tribune reported that Lueck was in her home state of California for her grandmother's funeral. When she returned to Salt Lake City, she texted her parents around 1 a.m. Lueck's parents reported her missing Thursday afternoon, according to the publication. She is 5 feet, 6 inches tall with blond, medium-length hair and weighs about 120 lbs, KUTV reported. CBS News reported that her best friend, Juliana Cauley, said Lueck doesn't live in North Salt Lake and she doesn't know why she went there.  >> Read more trending news  'SLCPD has been conducting a missing persons investigation and have spoken with both Lyft as well as the Lyft driver,' the department said in the news release. 'Lyft and their driver have cooperated with the investigation.' “We don’t have anyone searching any particular area right now because we don’t have any credible evidence of where she might be,' Sgt. Brandon Shearer told The Salt Lake Tribune. A representative for Lyft told CBS News there were no irregularities with Lueck's ride and that it ended at the destination she entered on the app and the driver continue to pick up and drop off other customers right after Lueck arrived at her destination. 'We recognize how scary this must be for those who know and love Ms. Lueck,' Lyft said in a statement to KSTU. 'The safety of our community is fundamental to Lyft and we are actively assisting law enforcement with their investigation.' 'Our primary goal is to find Mackenzie and bring her home,' Lueck's family said in a statement to KUTV. 'Her family is grateful for the concern, prayers and the tireless efforts of the Salt Lake City Police and members of the community.' 'The SLCPD has not discovered any information that would lead us to believe that Mackenzie has been harmed or is in danger at this time,' the department said. 'Detectives are concerned for Mackenzie’s welfare. If anyone has any information on Mackenzie or where she may be, please contact SLCPD at (801)799-3000 re: case 19-111129.
  • A 25-year-old Texas man was electrocuted early Sunday after possibly trying to steal copper from a transformer on a telephone pole in Dallas, police said. >> Read more trending news  Gabrield Monjaraz, was found dead by police about 30 feet away from the transformer after authorities responded to a 911 caller at 3:12 a.m. who said she heard gunshots, WFAA reported. When first responders arrived, they thought Monjaraz had been hit by a vehicle, The Dallas Morning News reported. However, the Dallas County medical examiner determined Monjaraz had been electrocuted. >> Alabama man electrocuted while stealing electricity, sheriff says After investigating the scene, police found Monjaraz was wearing rubber gloves and the nearby transformer had black marks on it, KTVT reported.
  • Topgolf wants to build a new driving range in Gwinnett. The golf range company has been long suspected as the “golf entertainment complex” proposed for the forthcoming Exchange at Gwinnett mixed-use development. Those suspicions were confirmed when the Texas company filed permit applications with the county planning and development department on May 30. MORE | Brewery, food hall proposed for new development near Mall of Georgia READ | Gwinnett greenlights big mixed-use project near Mall of Georgia Topgolf is a popular driving range company that offers a video game-like experience to players featuring colorfully lit targets and microchipped golf balls. The ranges also feature bars and arcade games. There are currently two metro Atlanta Topgolf locations: one near Atlantic Station in Atlanta and another in Alpharetta. The 14-acre range would be part of the Exchange at Gwinnett, a 64-acre mixed-use development near the Mall of Georgia and Coolray Field. Plans including the “golf entertainment complex” that could become Topgolf have already been approved. Initial plans also included 500 apartments, restaurants, retail space, a hotel and a fitness center. A plan for an additional 34.5 acres including a food hall, brewery space and rooftop bar have been recommended for approval by the county and will likely see a public hearing on July 2. The additional space would also include a medical building, movie theater and 500 more apartments, taking the total number of living units to 1,000.  The planning and development department has not yet made a recommendation for approval or denial regarding the Topgolf permit applications to the Gwinnett County Board of Commissioners. Like Gwinnett County News on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter and InstagramStay up to the minute with breaking news on Channel 2 Action News This Morning
  • An estate sale purchase has shined a new light on the cleanup efforts that followed in the weeks and months after the attacks on September 11. CD-ROMS containing thousands of photos of Ground Zero recovery were recently purchased at an estate sale.  Now the photos show the damage and devastation left behind after hijackers flew American Airlines Flight 11 and United Flight 175 into the Twin Towers 18 minutes apart. Dr. Johnathan Burgess told the BBC his partner found the photos at the sale. “Generally these items are neglected at sales. It’s very likely these would be in a dumpster by now had we not gone,” Burgess told the BBC. >> Read more trending news  Jason Scott was able to upload the photos to Flickr after a CD recovery service was able to save the images. “It’s a miracle the discs transferred so well. CD-ROMS of that age are pretty spotty,” Scott said. >>Photos: New images from Ground Zero discovered on CD-Rom bought at estate sale Now the pair have a mystery to solve: Who took the photos? Burgess and Scott have not found the photographer and the person’s relatives. The CDs were bought at the sale in Massachusetts and were originally purchased to collect and archive vintage media, WCBS reported. Most of the photos that were bought were images of babies and vacations. The images from Ground Zero were believed to have been taken by a construction or recovery worker, WCBS reported. If anyone knows who took the photos, they’re being asked to contact Burgess and Scott at gzphotos@texfiles.com.