Very Hot
H 95° L 71°
  • cloudy-day
    Current Conditions
    Very Hot. H 95° L 71°
  • very-hot
    Very Hot. H 95° L 71°
  • very-hot
    Very Hot. H 96° L 71°

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Crime & Law
Narconon patients allege credit card fraud

Narconon patients allege credit card fraud

Narconon patients allege credit card fraud
Photo Credit: Pete Combs
Terri and Mike Dacy tend to the grave of their son, Jonathan, in Dallas, Ga.

Narconon patients allege credit card fraud

Embroiled in state licensure revocation proceedings, civil lawsuits and criminal investigations, the Scientology-affiliated drug and alcohol rehabilitation organization known as Narconon faces new allegations of credit card fraud.

Four families – three from Georgia and another from Oklahoma – allege Narconon employees illegally obtained credit cards in their names without their knowledge, then charged those cards to the maximum credit limit as payment for treating their addicted children. In three of the cases, family members said the treatment was incomplete.

Each family said it was lured into trusting Narconon with the personal information needed to secure the credit cards by assurances from employees that the information would be used to apply for insurance coverage or financial aid in the form of grants or no-interest “medical” loans. Some families said they were on a “pay-as-you-go” plan for their children’s treatment, but found that they had been billed in full for treatment within less than 30-days of receiving the credit cards. Two of the four families told WSB their children were kicked out of the program as soon as the credit cards were “maxed out.”

The stories told by these four families and their lawyers are remarkably similar.


Jonathan Dacy, 28, was at the end of his rope. Kicked out of his father’s house because of his continued overuse of medication for pain, depression and anxiety, Jonathan was arrested in November, 2009, for shoplifting. As he sat in jail on misdemeanor charges, the family tried to delay his release while frantically searching for a drug treatment facility that would take him.

They thought they found what they were looking for in Narconon of Georgia.

“They told us everything we wanted to hear,” said Jonathan’s mother, Terri. “They said they were 80-percent successful in treating drug addiction.”

But Terri Dacy and her former husband, Mike, had no way to pay for the treatment they said their son so desperately needed. Jonathan had no insurance.

“Don’t worry,” they were told by an employee of Narconon of Georgia. “Get Jonathan in here right away and we’ll worry about the financing later.”

 So just before Christmas, 2009, the Dacys enrolled Jonathan in Narconon.

“(A Narconon employee) said they’d work with us on financing,” said Terri. They promised the family a $10,000 grant and financial aid in the form of interest-free loans, she said.

“But they called back later, after Jonathan was enrolled and said our financing was not approved.”

So the Dacys turned to Terri’s brother, Scott Maxey, who lived in Chicago. Maxey agreed to cosign a loan for the Dacys to pay for Jonathan’s rehab. Narconon agreed to bill Mike and to keep the payments under $300/month, said Terri. Narconon, she continued, also agreed that Scott would only be involved as a guarantor of the loan.

“All of a sudden, my brother started getting weird things in the mail,” Terri said. Maxey received a denial letter from Discover, saying he would not receive a new credit card because he already had a Discover account.

“He never applied for one,” Terri said. “At first, he thought he was the victim of identity theft.”

A day later, Terri said, her brother’s alarm increased dramatically when he found two new credit cards in the mail.

“That’s when he got a call from (Narconon). They said, rather than doing a loan, this would be easier. That’s why we got credit cards,” she continued.

Repeatedly assured by Narconon that the credit cards were approved by Mike Dacy, Maxey reluctantly agreed to authorize Narconon to charge them to the credit limits. In all, the charges amounted to $10,300.00. But Mike said he never talked with anyone at Narconon about credit cards. He was infuriated.

“I don’t lose my temper,” Mike said. But after learning about the credit cards and about what he insisted were false representations from Narconon about his endorsement of the plan, “I called them up and yelled at them. ‘What the hell is this?’”



Tari Anderson said she and her husband had no place to turn in trying to get their 24-year old son, Aaron, into a treatment program. Aaron had developed pneumonia. In November, 2011, he was hospitalized. Then, his parents found evidence that he had been shooting heroin. Aaron admitted he was addicted. Scrambling to find an inpatient rehab program, Tari said she stumbled upon Narconon while doing research on the internet. A Narconon employee urged her to get her son into the program “that night,” Tari said. She gave Aaron an ultimatum and he agreed to go.

“We were told we needed to pay $5,000 in cash and they would finance the balance for us,” she recalled. “The forms were filled out. They asked for our social security numbers, dates of birth, home address and our full names. I thought it was for medical financing. I wasn’t thinking credit cards. They never said that.”

A week later, Tari said, as her son was undergoing treatment, a Narconon employee called and asked if we had received any credit cards. The drug rehab facility had ordered a Discover Card and a Capitol One charge card in the Andersons’ names without notifying them. The cards had already been maxed out for a total of $11,000, she said.

“I was really, really surprised,” Tari exclaimed. “I asked if there were any other cards out there. They said they had applied for several and didn’t know which ones had been approved.”

The Andersons were furious, she said. “We were ripped off, very much deceived. I think it’s a criminal enterprise.”



Ben Burgess is an Athens-Clarke County firefighter. He and his wife, Rhonda, were desperate to help their son, Blaze, stop abusing the powerful painkiller Oxycodone.

“They got our name, address, phone number and social security numbers for insurance purposes,” said Rhonda. “But we were told that insurance wouldn’t pay for more than three to five days of inpatient care. So we wondered how to pay for this and were told, ‘Don’t worry, we’ll take care of it for you.’”

Ben Burgess said he was horrified to find that help had come in the form of credit cards.

“My statement is, the cards are from the devil!” Ben said. “I would have never agreed with a stinkin’ credit card!”

The Burgesses said Narconon ordered four unauthorized credit cards in their names, charging more than $19,000.  When they expressed their concerns, however, they said Narconon turned up the pressure.

“When we hesitated, they would say, ‘Don’t you love your child? You know this is the best place for them,’” Ben recalled.

“They got him in there by telling us not to worry about the money. But once he’s in, then they have you in a corner,” said Rhonda.



Sue Ann Newman was hospitalized, sickened by her addiction. After helping her get medical attention, her sister, Dena Shobe Smith, searched frantically for a rehab program. She found Narconon Arrowhead in Canadian, OK.

In a lawsuit filed in Pittsburgh County, OK, Smith’s attorney said Narconon initially pitched her $30,000 rehab program for Newman. Smith said she couldn’t afford it. She was then pitched a $15,000 alternative program, intimating it could be the only thing standing between Newman and death caused by her addiction. But Smith said she couldn’t afford that either, according to the suit. So Narconon promised to secure an interest-free loan that would be combined with a work program. Newman entered treatment at Narconon Arrowhead in May, 2012.

But two months later, Smith was told by Narconon that Newman had never been approved for the interest-free loan or the work program. Without Smith’s knowledge, workers at the Oklahoma facility ordered a Discover Card and a Visa card in her name and used them to charge $14,700 for Newman’s treatment, according to the complaint.

“The alleged Program has the appearance of being nothing more than a pyramid scheme and sham of the Defendants, to extort money from the Plaintiffs through fraud and other means, based upon fraudulent and willful conduct, inducements and as a recruiting tool for Church of Scientology,” the suit claimed.

Newman and Smith are asking for damages in excess of $75,000.

“I have challenges calling (these) business practices,” said Tulsa attorney Gary Richardson, who filed the lawsuit on behalf of Newman and Smith. “I can’t imagine what they’ve done in this instance would fall under ‘business practices.’ We allege fraud.”



Of the four patients (Narconon calls them “students”) whose families said treatment was paid for with illegally obtained credit cards, only Aaron Anderson completed the program. Newman’s mother “rescued” her from Narconon Arrowhead, according to the civil complaint filed in Oklahoma. Treatment for Blaze Burgess and Jonathan Dacy was terminated after they were accused of breaking the rules or simply not fitting the program – even though the treatment had already been paid for in full.

Ben Burgess said his son, Blaze, warned him ahead of time.

“He said they do that to everyone they get credit cards for. They max them out and know in a month or two or three they’ll be kicking the kid out and putting someone else (in his place),” Ben recounted. Blaze was ordered to leave Narconon of Georgia after an infraction that the family insisted had been fabricated after they fell a month behind in housing payments. He was told he could return, but would have to pay $4,500 up front. Already financially ailing and increasingly dubious of the program, the Burgesses declined.

Faced with more than $19,000 billed to credit cards they never asked for and never approved, the Burgesses had no idea how they would pay for it all. They decided to sell their home, but at closing, discovered they owed much more than the sales price. Instead of receiving money to pay off the Narconon credit card debts, Ben actually paid $10,000 to close the sale of his house. The family now lives in a single-wide mobile home.

“They pretty much ruined our lives,” Rhonda said.

Jonathan Dacy’s parents said he had a similar experience. He never underwent treatment at Narconon of Georgia – he remained in a doctor-supervised detoxification program required prior to treatment for the entire five weeks he was enrolled in the program. At the end of five weeks, after being falsely accused of failing a drug test, Jonathan was told that his detox was taking too long and that his problems were more than Narconon could handle. He was ordered to leave with just a few hours’ notice, his parents said. Their requests for a refund and an itemized bill of services went unanswered, Mike said.

“Eventually, they just stopped returning our calls,” said Terri.

The Dacys consulted a friend who was an attorney and wrote several letters to Narconon demanding a refund. They disputed the credit card charges, eventually getting Capitol One to agree to dismiss all fees charged on their credit card by Narconon. But they were not successful in obtaining such an agreement from Citi Financial, which issued the other credit card.

Jonathan went home to live with his father. In April, 2010, he married and was living in Rome. But two weeks after his wedding, Jonathan disappeared. His body was found May 4, 2010, in a ravine not far from his Floyd County home.

His parents are still struggling to pay off the Citi Financial card.



“Sales people are trained how to bring people into the program and are told to focus on money,” said former Narconon Arrowhead President Lucas Catton. “They look for insurance, second mortgages and credit cards. They look for services that allow you to apply for credit cards on the phone or online. They have to find the money. Money is the driving force, without a doubt.”

Catton described the quest for financial gain as the primary purpose of Narconon – far outranking the treatment of addiction. Much of the financial issues are handled by former Narconon patients, who graduated the program to become counselors and office staff, he said.

“When you have people who’ve recently come from the program, they already have questionable morals and ethics. A few months ago, they were active addicts. Then they’re given the responsibility to get it all paid. It’s intense pressure…. Hurting someone’s financial status in the process is not a concern,” Catton said.

He said Narconon has obtained credit cards in the names of hundreds of people, many of whom did not know that was how treatment would be financed. The practice was ongoing at a number of Narconon treatment centers around the world and involved “multiple” people, he said.

The alleged practice has garnered the attention of Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter. When his agents, along with those from Insurance Commissioner Ralph Hudgens, raided Narconon of Georgia April 26, they were looking for evidence of both insurance fraud and identity theft.

“The search warrants were primarily based on the Insurance Commission’s fraud case. But as a spin-off, we seized patient billing records to include ID theft and credit card fraud,” Porter said. “We’re working on five complaints now.”

But Porter said the case was complex because in at least one case, it appeared the unwanted credit cards were eventually authorized by the victims.

“It seems to me there would be some regulation on disclosing how (Narconon) obtains money,” Porter said.

Investigators seized dozens of computers and an entire truck load of documents. While Porter said there is a lot of material to sift, “We are in the analysis phase now.”



Asked for a statement, Narconon International President Clark Carr refused to answer specific allegations, citing privacy concerns. But in a statement to WSB, he said:

(I)t would, of course, be contrary to Narconon's policy to engage in the conduct you are alleging and I am unaware of it ever happening. Narconon International and all Narconons are bound by strict state and federal privacy laws. Therefore, we cannot discuss any details about any individuals or their loved ones that claim to have been involved with our program without their written authorization.”

Read More


  • A Texas man is accused of being naked and assaulting a 58-year-old woman with her wheelchair outside her apartment Friday. >> Read more trending news  According to court documents, Williard Lee Houston, 39, assaulted the woman, KXAN reported. He was arrested and booked into the Travis County Jail on a count of injury to a disabled individual, KEYE reported. He was being held in lieu of a $75,000 bond, according to arrest records. Police said they found the woman found the woman lying in a stairwell, bleeding from her mouth, KXAN reported. Police said the woman told them 'the naked man beat her,' according to court documents. The woman was taken to an area hospital, where she was treated for a fractured wrist and possible fractures to her nose and ribs, KEYE reported. According to court documents, Houston told police he hit the woman with her wheelchair about 10 times, KXAN reported. Police said Houston started screaming expletives and said, ”That was my first time hitting an old lady… I show mad respect for a woman.” The woman told police she did not recall what led to the assault, the television station reported.
  • Following an article posted by The New York Times this weekend, several Democratic presidential candidates are calling for the impeachment of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh on allegations of sexual misconduct from his time as a student at Yale University. On Sunday, the Times reported that Kavanaugh faced a separate allegation of sexual assault from his undergraduate days and that the FBI did not investigate the claim. However, the story has come under some scrutiny. The Times tweeted a promotion for the story, which they later deleted and apologized for, then added an editor's note to the online story explaining that the female student mentioned in the new claim declined to be interviewed about the allegations and that friends say she does not recall the incident. The Times' article was an excerpt from a book about Kavanaugh that is to come out in a couple of weeks. Kavanaugh fought sexual assault allegations prior to his confirmation by the Senate last October, facing many in Congress who said he was unfit for the position. Amid the renewed call from Democratic candidates and others in Congress, many are asking if and how a Supreme Court justice, who is appointed to the position for life, can be removed from the bench. Here's a look at the impeachment process for sitting federal judges and others. >> Read more trending news  Can a Supreme Court justice be impeached? Yes, a Supreme Court justice can be impeached. Article II Section 4 of the U.S. Constitution gives the House of Representatives the power to impeach federal judges and gives to the U.S. Senate the right to vote to remove judges who have been impeached. The section reads: 'The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.' Judges are considered part of the 'all civil Officers of the United States' portion of the section. What can a Supreme Court justice be impeached for? The Constitution lays out two specific actions and one vague description of something that could lead to impeachment and removal of a justice from the bench. The Constitution says a person may be removed from office for convictions of 'Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.' While treason and bribery are spelled out, high crimes and misdemeanors are a little vaguer. High crimes and misdemeanors are generally seen as a violation of the public's trust. Sexual assault would fall under that category. How does impeachment work? Impeachment for justices works the same way as impeachment for a president or vice president would work. Here are the steps in the process for impeaching a federal justice: In the House First, an impeachment resolution must be introduced by a member of the House of Representatives. The speaker of the House must then direct the U.S. House Committee on the Judiciary (or a special committee) to hold a hearing on the resolution to decide whether to put the measure to a vote by the full chamber and when to hold such a vote. A simple majority of the Judiciary Committee must approve the resolution. If the Judiciary Committee approves the resolution, it moves to a full vote on the House floor. If a simple majority of the those present and voting in the House approve an article of impeachment, then the justice is impeached. In the Senate The procedure then moves to the Senate where a 'trial' is held to determine if the justice committed a crime. There is no set procedure for the trial. Details outlining how the trial is conducted would be set by the Senate leadership. Members of the House serve as 'managers' in the Senate trial. Managers serve a similar role as prosecutors do in a criminal trial, they present evidence during the procedure. The justice can have counsel to represent him during the Senate process. Unlike in the trials of an impeached president or vice president, the chief justice of the U.S. Supreme Court would not preside over the trial of a justice. In an impeachment trial of a Supreme Court justice, the vice president would oversee the proceedings. Senators listen to the evidence presented, including closing arguments from each side and retire to deliberate. Senators then reconvene and vote on whether the justice is guilty or not guilty of the actions he is accused of. It takes a two-thirds vote of the Senate to convict. If the justice is found guilty, he is removed from office immediately. The result of the hearing in the Senate, along with a charge in the House that a justice has committed a crime is not a legal one. No penalty, other than removal from office, is brought against a justice in an impeachment hearing. Has any Supreme Court justice been impeached? Samuel Chase, who was appointed by President George Washington, was impeached in 1804 for 'arbitrary, oppressive, and unjust' decisions on the court. The Senate declined to remove Chase from office on the House's recommendation of impeachment, saying a justice should not be removed from the court because his or her decisions are not popular.
  • Two men have been issued summons after National Park Service officials said they walked up to the edge of Old Faithful. The men, whose names have not been released, stepped off the boardwalk that keeps tourists a safe distance from the geyser and looked directly into the hole in the Earth, NBC News reported. >> Read more trending news  One man used his cellphone to take a close-up photo of the spout on Tuesday, ABC News reported. The men now face a summons for thermal trespassing and are scheduled to appear in court in December, according to NBC News. 'Thermal area safety is an extremely important part of any trip to Yellowstone,' officials said in a statement, NBC News reported.  Water shoots into the air at Old Faithful at 200 degrees, ABC News reported. But steam can reach higher than 350 degrees. Several people have been cited for walking onto the geyser over the years, The Associated Press reported. Others were burned when they fell or stepped on the thermal features of Yellowstone.
  • An elementary school student in Kansas has died after getting injured in a horseback riding accident. Local news outlet NewsCow reported that the family of 7-year-old Max Henderson died at Wesley Medical Center in Wichita, Kansas, Monday. Max was hurt when a horse flipped over on him Sunday, the family said. >> Read more trending news  Max was rushed to William Newton Hospital in Winfield, Kansas and stabilized. He then transported Wesley Medical Center where he had surgery. He died shortly after, his family said in a Facebook post, according to NewsCow. KAKE reported that Max and his family were involved in rodeo activities in the Cowley County area and across Kansas. He was a student at Country View Elementary School, which also issued a statement on his death and said there would be professional support for students, parents and staff. 'Max had the most amazing 7 years possible. He said many times that he wanted to be 7 forever. I think deep down he knew he wasn't here for a long time. We are honored to have been his parents and grateful for every second,' Max's parents, Shane Henderson and Missi Henderson, said in a statement, according to KAKE. 'We will honor his life by living out the rest of our earthly days with happiness and fun. We will miss him. Oh my, we will miss him,' the statement continued. 'We will have sad days, but we will not live sad lives. Please raise us up in prayer to help us to live as Max would wish. Without fear & full of happy times and fun. I would say fly high, but he's already there.
  • What do you do when you cross paths with a 400-pound feral hog on a golf course?  >> Read more trending news  It's a good idea to let the pig through. And it's an even better idea to call wildlife officials.Especially in southern Texas, where feral hogs are considered a nuisance. Trappers in southern Texas caught the giant porker on the course last week near San Antonio in Bexar County, WOAI reported. Wyatt Walton, of Lone Star Trapping, a trapping service in San Antonio, said the hog was captured by dogs, the television station reported. Walton said more than 3,200 feral hogs have been trapped and removed from neighborhoods in Bexar County, WOAI reported.
  • A longtime assistant Los Angeles city attorney killed himself last week after gunning down his wife and 19-year-old son, police officials said. Authorities were alerted to the killings when Eric Lertzman’s daughter, 25, fled to a neighbor’s house after escaping through a bathroom window, according to an LAPD news release. The dead include Lertzman, 60; his wife, Sandra Lertzman, also 60; and their 19-year-old son Michael Lertzman. The daughter’s identity was not revealed by police, but Los Angeles City Attorney Mike Feuer identified her as Rachel Lertzman. Sandy Lertzman's sister, Cindy Stern, wrote on Facebook of the shock of the tragedy. “You never think this is going to happen to your immediate family,” Stern wrote. “Still in shock, but completely heartbroken about losing my dear sister Sandy, nephew Michael and brother-in-law Eric to gun violence today. Grateful beyond words that Rachel survived.” A GoFundMe page set up to help Rachel Lertzman in the wake of her family’s deaths had raised more than $122,000 as of Monday morning. >> Read more trending news According to police, dispatchers received a call around 9 a.m. Wednesday for shots fired and an assault with a deadly weapon at the Lertzman home in Northridge. Greg Demos, the neighbor from whom Rachel Lertzman sought help, told KTLA she ran over in her pajamas and said her father had tried to shoot her. She was “upset, confused distraught, somewhat in shock,” as she recounted what happened, Demos told the news station. “‘I don’t know what to tell you, Greg, but this is what just happened in my house, and I don’t know what to do,’” Demos recalled her telling him. “She said, ‘My dad took a shot at me, and my mom and my brother are still inside.’” Demos told ABC7 in Los Angeles that he and Rachel Lertzman ran back to the family’s home. “I went with her to the door and I knocked on the door, yelled. Nothing,” Demos told the news station. “We went to the back. She had locked the doors and left. She said my mom and my brother are still inside. We pummeled on the door, yelled for her dad, yelled her mother’s name and brother’s name. No answer. “And that's when we called the police.” Police officials said the investigation showed Eric Lertzman shot and killed his wife in their bedroom, then attempted to shoot his daughter in her bedroom across the hall. She locked herself in a bathroom for safety. Lertzman then went to his son, Michael, and killed him, authorities said. Watch ABC7's live coverage of the police response to the Lertzman home below. “During this time, (Rachel Lertzman) escaped through the bathroom window and ran to a neighbor’s residence,” the news release said. “Eric returned to the master bedroom, where he turned the weapon on himself, ending his own life.” According to the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner’s Office, Eric Lertzman died of a gunshot wound to the head. Both Michael and Sandra Lertzman died of multiple gunshot wounds. Their deaths were classified as homicides, while Eric Lertzman's death was labeled a suicide. Two handguns were found in the home, according to police. Feuer said on Twitter that Eric Lertzman had been with the city attorney’s office since 2005. “This is a horrible tragedy,” Feuer said in a statement. “As we search for answers to how this could happen, we mourn the victims and envelop those left behind with our love during this time of unbearable loss. Of course, we will provide members of our city attorney family with needed counseling and support.” Police officials said detectives were still searching for a motive, but “investigators believe the recent loss of a loved one and ongoing health issues played a significant role.” Eric Lertzman’s mother, Phyllis Lertzman, died Aug. 26, according to her obituary. NBC Los Angeles reported that Eric Lertzman had taken leave from work after undergoing a recent colon surgery. The attorney's health had deteriorated over the past year or so, neighbors said. “Just terrible it came to this, that he couldn’t reach out to us or other family members for help,” longtime family friend Russ Beck told the news station. Beck described Eric Lertzman as a “kind soul” who enjoyed riding dirt bikes until his health no longer allowed it. Lertzman’s Facebook page, which had little activity, shows him standing next to a motorcycle and wearing riding gear. Eric and Sandy Lertzman had been married for 33 years, according to social media posts. A post on Sandy Lertzman's Facebook page indicated they celebrated their anniversary Aug. 24, less than three weeks before the homicides. In a 2016 Facebook post, Sandy Lertzman described her husband as a “supreme” husband and father. “I love you forever and can’t wait to share at least the next 30 years with you,” she wrote. In a 2017 anniversary post, which was accompanied by a wedding photo, she described Eric Lertzman as her best friend. Sandy Lertzman also heaped praise on her children on social media. On a birthday post about Rachel Lertzman, the proud mother described her as “amazing, beautiful, charismatic, dedicated, ever-environmental, fabulous, gorgeous, honest, intelligent, journey-driven, kind, loving, multitalented, nondiscriminatory, over-the-top, passionate, quick-witted.” When Michael Lertzman turned 18 in 2017, she wrote: “You are an awesome human being, and we are proud of you and love you! XO, Mom and Dad.” She expressed similar sentiments in October, when her son turned 19. 'From the day you were born, you've brightened our world, and we're very proud of you for the awesome person you are,' she wrote. Family and friends of the Lertzman family expressed shock and sorrow over the killings. Aviva Eagle, who described herself as a cousin, said Sandy Lertzman was “always full of love and always smiling.” Eagle described Michael Lertzman, a student at California State University Northridge, as smart with his whole future ahead of him. Alan Dreiman, president of the university’s chapter of Jewish fraternity Alpha Epsilon Pi, wrote of the teen’s warmth. “Michael was a shining light in our lives, a wound that will never heal,” Dreiman wrote. “A huge thank you to everyone who has offered support. That is the only thing getting everyone through these terrible times. Our condolences are sent out to family, friends, and the community. May we all stay strong.” Chabad at CSUN, the university’s Jewish Student Center, also mourned him on social media. “We are beyond devastated by the horrific news of today,” a post on the group’s Facebook page read. “Chabad at CSUN stands with our AEPI (Alpha Epsilon Pi) brothers, as well as the Northridge community.” Camp Alonim, a program of the American Jewish University-Brandeis Bardin Campus in Simi Valley, said the teen was a longtime camper and staff member. “Mikey’s personal warmth, his gentle spirit, his wide smile and his infectious enthusiasm will never be forgotten,” the group’s Facebook page read. “He will always be a beloved member of our Camp Alonim family. We send our deepest condolences to his sister, Rachel (CIT '10), and the many people whose lives Mikey touched.” A woman named Erica Hartman responded that she had seen Michael Lertzman the Friday before he was killed. “He ALWAYS had a smile on his face and greeted everyone with nothing short of genuine happiness,” Hartman wrote. “We are devastated by this horrible news,” Julie Hertel wrote. “I know there are many current and former campers, my daughter included, that are heartbroken, shocked and numb to hear this news. “Campers should look to their camp family to help them through this difficult time. It helps to be with or talk with others that knew and loved Mikey. Share your stories and memories about him, this will bring comfort to you and your friends. My heart goes out to everyone impacted by this awful situation.”