Mostly Clear
H 87° L 66°
  • cloudy-day
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Clear. H 87° L 66°
  • clear-day
    Mostly Clear. H 87° L 66°
  • cloudy-day
    Partly Cloudy. H 90° L 68°

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Crime & Law
Michelle Carter guilty of involuntary manslaughter in boyfriend's suicide

Michelle Carter guilty of involuntary manslaughter in boyfriend's suicide

Michelle Carter Found Guilty In Death By Text Trial

Michelle Carter guilty of involuntary manslaughter in boyfriend's suicide

A woman accused of convincing her boyfriend to commit suicide has been found guilty of involuntary manslaughter by a Massachusetts judge. 

Michelle Carter was charged with involuntary manslaughter in the 2014 suicide of 18-year-old Conrad Roy.

Carter broke into tears as Judge Lawrence Moniz began to read his decision, explaining that "some explanation of my verdict is warranted."

"[Her] actions constituted wanton and reckless conduct by her," Judge Moniz said. 

>> Read more trending news

Moniz said the state had proven beyond a reasonable doubt that she acted recklessly, but that she did not directly cause his death.

"His research was extensive...he secured the generator...located his vehicle," Moniz noted. "However, he breaks that chain of self-causing by getting out of the vehicle."

Moniz explained a precedent he considered in a 200-year-old case, in which a man hanged himself in a prison cell hours before he was to be publicly executed for the murder of his father. 

"He literally sought fresh air," Moniz said, referring to Roy's previously unsuccessful attempts to commit suicide.

Moniz noted Carter told Roy to get back into the truck after he got out, which she must have known was becoming a deadly environment. 

"She instructs Mr. Roy to get back into the truck, well-knowing of all the feelings he has expressed to her," Moniz said. 

Telling him to get back into the truck constituted "wanton and reckless conduct," the court found. 

Moniz then indicated Carter seems to have known the gravity of the situation as she indicated to her friends in messages and conversations. 

MORE: All the texts between Michelle Carter and Conrad Roy the day he died

"Ms. Carter had reason to know that Mr. Roy had followed her instructions and had placed himself in the toxic environment of the truck," said Moniz. 

He cited a previous case as precedent, in which "there is a duty to take reasonable steps to alleviate the risk." The decision not to do so is what Moniz cited in finding Carter guilty of manslaughter. 

He continued, noting that Carter failed to tell anyone of his plans nor to "issue a simple instruction to get out of the car."

In closing arguments, Assistant District Attorney Katie Rayburn said Carter knew what she was doing when she encouraged Roy to kill himself and tried to use him for attention. 

Prosecutors say the then-17-year-old Carter pressured Roy to take his own life through a torrent of text messages.

They say she told Roy to "get back in" his truck when he became frightened while trying to kill himself with carbon monoxide.

Carter's attorney, Joseph Cataldo argued Roy was simply forcing Carter to be part of his second attempt.

Carter's lawyer has argued that Roy had attempted suicide previously and made his own decision to take his own life.

Judge Lawrence Moniz said he will take the statements and evidence under advisement in order to make a ruling. Once his ruling is made, Moniz said he will announce it in open court the following morning. 

MORE: Death by text? What’s at stake in the Michelle Carter trial

Read More


  • A girl in Chicago is living up to the Girl Scout Law.  The law states in part that a scout will be “friendly and helpful, considerate and caring, courageous and strong.” Anne Nelson, 11, won a trip to Walt Disney World for selling 5,000 boxes of Girl Scout Cookies. But she didn’t want to keep the trip. She wanted to give it to a classmate with special needs, WLS reported.  >> Read more trending news    “Everyone should be kind to other people and generous because if someone wants to go somewhere or do something and they never have a chance to do it, it would make them feel amazing to do it,” Nelson told WLS Sunday. >> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news  She and the unidentified classmate were part of a ceremony at a Chicago Disney Store, WLS reported. Anne said she had the idea to earn the trip for her friend thanks to a lesson at school about generosity.
  • Purely Elizabeth granola products sold at multiple national retailers are being recalled because they may contain plastic, glass or rocks. CBS News reported that Purely Elizabeth has issued a voluntary recall for multiple granola products because of foreign matter contamination. >> Read more trending news  According to recall information on the company’s website, Purely Elizabeth’s Coconut Cashew Grain-Free Granola, Banana Nut Butter Grain-Free Granola, Pumpkin Spice + Ashwagandha Grain-Free Superfood Granola or Grain-Free Bars may be impacted by the recall. “We are implementing this recall, because we learned that cashews provided by our supplier during a brief time this spring may contain foreign objects,” the company said in a news release. “We have taken corrective action and replaced this cashew supplier with a new one.” The foreign matter was discovered by a customer, who informed Purely Elizabeth, according to CBS News. A company spokesperson told CBS News the products were sold at retailers Target, Walmart, Costco, Publix and Whole Foods, and online at Amazon, Thrive Market, and the Purely Elizabeth website. Customers with affected products are asked to take a photo of the packages and email them to support@purelyelizabeth.com. Customers should not consume the contents and dispose of the product after emailing a photo. The company is offering free replacement products. More information on the recalled products, including photos and best by dates, is at the Purely Elizabeth website. Questions can be directed to support@purelyelizabeth.com. Alternatively, customers with questions can contact Purely Elizabeth  or by phone at (720) 242-7525 Ext. 106, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. MDT, Monday through Friday.
  • A 16-year-old boy from Guatemala died in U.S. custody Monday morning, one week after he was apprehended in South Texas, authorities with U.S. Customs and Border Protection confirmed in a statement. >> Read more trending news The boy, whose name was not released, is the fifth Guatemalan migrant known to have died since December after being detained at the U.S.-Mexico border. Officials said the 16-year-old was apprehended and processed May 13 near Hidalgo, Texas, after he entered the country illegally. Authorities said he was transferred Sunday from the Rio Grande Valley Sector’s Central Processing Center to the Border Patrol station in Weslaco, Texas, ahead of a planned placement with the Heath and Human Services Office of Refugee Resettlement. >> Guatemalan toddler, 2, dies in US custody after being detained at border He was found unresponsive Monday during a welfare check, officials said. “The men and women of U.S. Customs and Border Protection are saddened by the tragic loss of this young man and our condolences are with his family,” Acting CBP Commissioner John Sanders said in a statement. “CBP is committed to the health, safety and humane treatment of those in our custody.” The Border Patrol has faced months of scrutiny over its care of children it apprehends at the border. Last week, authorities said a 2-year-old boy died after he and his mother were detained at the border. Authorities said he was diagnosed with pneumonia and hospitalized for about a month before his death, according to The Associated Press. >> 7-year-old Guatemalan migrant dies of dehydration, shock in Border Patrol custody Authorities are also investigating the April 30 death of Juan de Leon Gutierrez, a 16-year-old migrant from Guatemala who died after officials at a Texas youth detention facility noticed he was sick. His cause of death remained unclear Monday. In December, 7-year-old Jakelin Caal Maquin died of dehydration and septic shock two days after she was taken to a Border Patrol station, CNN reported. The news network reported 8-year-old Felipe Gómez Alonzo died of flu complicated by sepsis weeks later, on Christmas Eve, while he was in U.S. custody. Both children were from Guatemala. >> Migrant mother, 7-year-old son reunited after being separated at border Trump administration officials have said they have passed a 'breaking point' in the immigration detention system, with the numbers of parents and children crossing the border dramatically exceeding the capacity at facilities. That strain is particularly acute in the Rio Grande Valley, which has more unauthorized border crossings than any other region. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • Police in South Florida evacuated a Goodwill store for 90 minutes after a grenade was found in a donation bin, TCPalm reported. >> Read more trending news  It was the second time in 10 months that a grenade had been found in a bin at a Port St. Lucie site, the website reported. Police also evacuated the parking lot at the store as the St. Lucie County Bomb Squad investigated, according to WPTV. A technician who examined the device determined it was inert, the television station reported. >> World War II-era grenade found near Florida Taco Bell It was not clear who donated the grenade. Employees at the Goodwill store called 911 Wednesday after the grenade was found in the bin, Port St. Lucie Police spokeswoman Sgt. Lisa Carrasquillo told TCPalm.  An inert grenade was found July 27 at a different Port St. Lucie location, the website reported. Gulfstream Goodwill spokesman Brian Edwards said the thrift stores do not accept any weapons as donations.  'We were very fortunate the grenade was not triggered,' Edwards told TCPalm. 
  • An Arizona man is accused of animal cruelty after police found his dog strangled in the front yard of his Phoenix home, KNXV reported. >> Read more trending news  Ruben Ezekiel Garcia, 38, was arrested Sunday and is being held without bond in the Maricopa County Jail for animal cruelty and possession of drug paraphernalia. When police arrived at Garcia’s residence, they found a 1-year-old German shepherd tethered to a pole in Garcia’s front yard, KNXV reported. Police said the dog’s leash was connected to a chain collar at one end of the pole and was caught between two wooden slats. According to police, the dog struggled to free itself and died of strangulation from his collar. When he was arrested, Garcia asked police to allow his son to bring him a pair of pants. Police allegedly found a meth pipe inside one of the pockets, KNXV reported.
  • An truck driver based in Euclid, Ohio, is accused of causing the deaths of four people lastThursday afternoon in a fiery interstate crash in McDonough, Georgia. On Monday, authorities announced charges against the driver, 39-year-old Mohabe McCoy, since all four victims had been identified. He is facing charges of second-degree homicide by vehicle, a misdemeanor, improper turn and driving too fast for conditions. >> Read more trending news  The victim’s bodies were badly burned when McCoy’s tractor-trailer slammed into the back of their Chevrolet pickup truck on I-75, according to officials with the Henry County Police Department. The pickup truck, which was hauling pine straw, was pushed into the back of another tractor-trailer and went up in flames.  The victims were identified as Jose Ibarra Yanez, 42, Jaime Sanchez, 26, Fermin Sanchez, 20, and Juana Adaliris Ortiz-Martinez, 31. The three men and woman were from Dublin, Georgia.  The crash happened around 12:15 p.m. Thursday. At the time, northbound traffic was lagging after another crash on I-75 shut down the interstate before the I-675 interchange. Video from a nearby car dealership obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution shows the first tractor-trailer slowed before an exit, and the pickup truck followed suit. McCoy’s tractor-trailer, which was hauling potatoes, did not appear to slow down before plowing into the back of the truck in the video. McCoy was arrested Thursday evening after he was checked out at Atlanta Medical Center. He is being held Monday in the Henry County Jail in lieu of a $10,000 bond.