Broken Clouds
H 94° L 75°
  • cloudy-day
    Current Conditions
    Broken Clouds. H 94° L 75°
  • cloudy-day
    Partly Cloudy. H 94° L 75°
  • clear-day
    Sunny. H 94° L 75°

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Crime & Law
Five years later, Cobb hot car death saga still haunts

Five years later, Cobb hot car death saga still haunts

Five years later, Cobb hot car death saga still haunts
Photo Credit: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Justin Ross Harris was found guilty last November of intentionally leaving his 18-month-old son Cooper in a hot car to die. (Family photo)

Five years later, Cobb hot car death saga still haunts

Justin Ross Harris was arrested and charged five years ago today with intentionally leaving his young son inside a hot car to die. Since then Harris has become the de facto face of hot car death, a tragic phenomenon rare enough to capture headlines almost every time it happens.

But it’s happening more than ever, despite all the attention and education efforts that followed Harris’ trial.


Ross Harris sentenced to life in prison without parole

Why did the jury convict Justin Ross Harris on all counts?

Ross Harris defense: Guilty verdict result of ‘breakdowns’ in justice system

Ross Harris’ hot car murder appeal still a work in progress

Ross Harris’ ex-wife: ‘I don’t believe he planned the murder of our child’

A record 52 children died as a result of vehicular heat stroke last year, more than double the number recorded in 2015, the year after Cooper Harris’ death. The number’s gone up every year since, from what had been a rough annual average of 37 deaths.

Harris’ conviction has complicated the challenge facing KidsandCars.org, a group long dedicated to educating the public that anyone can end up at the center of such an unimaginable tragedy.

“Parents have so many things coming at them,” said founder and president Janette Fennell, who strongly believes Harris did not mean to kill his son. 

“Attention spans are getting so much shorter. Our brains can’t keep up.”

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
This photo, downloaded from Justin Ross Harris’ public Facebook account, shows his son, Cooper, who died June 18, 2014.

Ross Harris launches appeal of murder conviction

Photo Credit: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
This photo, downloaded from Justin Ross Harris’ public Facebook account, shows his son, Cooper, who died June 18, 2014.

Since 22-month-old Cooper’s death and his father’s trial, Fennell said, education and awareness are at all-time highs.

“If that was the sole answer,” she said, “how do you explain what happened last year?”

Harris insisted Cooper’s death was an accident, saying he assumed he had dropped his son off at daycare on his way to work. Instead, the toddler was experiencing an agonizing death, locked inside a scorching hot car.

Authorities were suspicious from the start. Harris, who spent the last day of Cooper’s life exchanging lewd text messages with an underage paramour, killed his son so he’d be free to pursue other relationships, prosecutors argued. Harris’ wife strongly defended him at first, but filed for divorce once his dalliances were revealed.

“I don’t believe he planned the murder of our child,” Leanna Harris told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution in 2017.

Cobb County Superior Court Judge Mary Staley Clark sentenced Harris to life in prison without the possibility of parole plus 32 years for murder, cruelty to children and sexual exploitation of a minor.

» LISTEN | “Breakdown” Season 2: Death in a Hot Car

University of South Florida neuroscientist David Diamond, a nationally recognized expert on memory, recently authored a study showing that accidentally leaving a child in a car can result from a type of memory failure.

Under certain circumstances, a driver can completely forget the child is there, Diamond concluded. Experts say an overwhelming number of these cases are unintentional, and Diamond argues that criminal prosecutions in such situations are unjust.

In the years since Harris’ conviction, there has been no discernible rise in prosecutions nationwide, Fennell said.

“The problem is that basically the same set of facts in one jurisdiction is treated differently than another,” she said.

But in Georgia, a majority of these cases since 2014 have led to criminal charges. Several featured significant evidence of negligence.

In 2018, Dijanelle Fowler, 25, pleaded guilty in DeKalb County Superior Court to second-degree murder in the death of her 1-year-old daughter.

Facebook photo
Dijanelle Fowler and her daughter Skylar in a photo posted to the mother's publicly-visible Facebook page in April.

Mom charged with murder after baby dies in hot car in DeKalb

Photo Credit: Facebook photo
Dijanelle Fowler and her daughter Skylar in a photo posted to the mother's publicly-visible Facebook page in April.

The child perished in the heat after the car’s air conditioning ran the battery down, Fowler’s attorney said. Fowler was inside a neighboring hair salon and never checked on the child, prosecutors said. She was sentenced to 15 years in prison.

In 2016, Carroll County father Asa North admitted to drinking on the day he was supposed to watch his two little girls. He left them inside a hot SUV, unintentionally, prosecutors said, but he was still charged with second-degree murder and cruelty to children. 


Twins die in hot car

North is currently serving a 10-year prison sentence, to be followed by 10 years on probation.

In 2017, Lillian Stone of south Fulton County was charged with malice murder after surveillance video exposed contradictions in statements given to police after the death of her 3-year-old son, left strapped inside his car heat for seven hours. Stone is still awaiting trial.


KidsandCars.org is now focused on lobbying Congress to force automobile makers to implement technology that would alert drivers to children left in vehicles. Some cars, such as Kia’s 2020 Telluride, have introduced a rear-occupant alert, but most have not.

Fennell, the KidsandCars.org president, predicts it will take Congressional action to compel other automakers to follow suit. She points out to anyone willing to listen how some of the most damning evidence introduced against Harris during his trial was later discredited. Jurors heard about a “stench of death” allegedly emanating from his vehicle right after authorities responded. Experts say no such whiff of mortality would’ve existed at that point in the child’s decomposition.

Attorney Carlos Rodriguez, part of Harris’ defense team said, “people’s first impressions are almost impossible to break.”


Harris, soon to be 40, is serving his sentence at Macon State Prison. For his safety he is held in the solitary confinement wing, which his lawyer says has taken a toll.

“Prison changes you,” Rodriguez said.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Justin Ross Harris is shown in his state Department of Corrections mug shot  (Photo courtesy of the Georgia Department of Corrections)

Ross Harris gets haircut and new prison home

Photo Credit: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Justin Ross Harris is shown in his state Department of Corrections mug shot  (Photo courtesy of the Georgia Department of Corrections)

Harris is hopeful the appeal of his 2016 murder conviction will be successful. The motion for a new trial alleges that prejudicial testimony admitted by the judge made it an “absolute impossibility” for him to receive a fair trial. It’s still a work in progress and a potential court date is far in the future.

Prosecutors see Harris’ case much differently, of course, and they have convictions on all eight counts on their side. Jurors told the state’s lawyers afterwards that there was near-unanimity among them from the beginning regarding Harris’ guilt.

Rodriguez said he wishes jurors could have gotten to know Harris, who he describes as caring and patient man.

“He still has that optimism, still has his faith, still has his sharpness,” he said. “Ross is going to be another chapter in that book of wrongly convicted persons who is eventually found innocent.”


June 18

7:30 a.m.  Ross Harris and his son Cooper awake at their Marietta home. Detectives said Ross and Cooper Harris watched cartoons, got dressed then left the house for breakfast at Chick-fil-A.

9:19 a.m. Ross and Cooper Harris leave the Chick-fil-A at Paces Ferry Road and Cumberland Drive, which is on the way to Harris’ job at Home Depot nearby. Surveillance cameras show Cooper to be “wide awake and happy.”

9:25 a.m. Harris parks the SUV and goes in to work, leaving Cooper in the backseat.

Lunchtime: While taking a break from work, Harris rides to a nearby Home Depot store with some friends and purchases light bulbs. When they return, he goes to his SUV, opens the driver’s side door and places the bulbs in the car. It’s not known if he had any contact with his son. Police say Cooper probably died before noon.

3 p.m. Prosecutors say Harris “sexted” with an underage girl.

3:16 p.m. Police say Harris texts his wife, “When are you going to get my buddy?”

3:45 p.m. Harris tells a friend he’s leaving work early to try to make a movie.

4:16 p.m.: Harris leaves his office, located at 2600 Cumberland Blvd., near Smyrna and Cumberland Mall.

4:23 p.m. After driving about a mile, Harris turns onto Akers Mill Road and makes a right turn into the parking lot of a shopping center. He stops the SUV, leaving the driver’s side door open as he gets his son out of the car.

4:25 p.m. Witnesses at the shopping center watch as a frantic Harris tries to revive the boy, whose color is off. He doesn’t appear to be breathing. Harris is frantic and is screaming “What have I done? What have I done?” as bystanders start CPR on the boy, who is on the ground of the parking lot. Cooper’s lifeless body is still in a sitting position, witnesses said. Police, already patrolling the area, and firefighters arrive at the scene within seconds of a 911 call.

4:58 p.m. Cobb County police spokesman Officer Mike Bowman confirms the toddler has been pronounced dead. A crowd has gathered on the sidewalks of the shopping center. Harris, police later confirm, is now in handcuffs and in the back of a patrol car because he cursed at an officer. The SUV and child’s body are soon part of a crime scene investigation, and Harris taken away for questioning.

5:45 p.m. Just steps away from the little boy’s body, Sgt. Dana Pierce tells reporters Harris told police he went to work, worked seven hours, then left work and realized he had forgotten to take the child to daycare.

10 p.m. Harris is arrested and charged with murder. He is booked into the Cobb County jail.

Read More


  • Authorities in Michigan are searching for a 2-year-old girl who reportedly vanished from an Oscoda County campsite Monday morning. >> Read more trending news According to the Oscoda County Sheriff's Office, family members of Gabriella Vitale, 2, of the Monroe area, 'lost track' of the girl as they were getting ready to leave the campsite near state Highway 33 and Reber Road. They reported her missing about 8:15 a.m., authorities said. By late Monday, search crews, including deputies, state troopers, police dogs, a police helicopter and Michigan Department of Natural Resources officers, had not found the child, authorities said. Gabriella was wearing a pink zip-up coat, a gray shirt, pink bottoms and tennis shoes when she disappeared, the Sheriff's Office said. Authorities later found the coat 'several hundred yards southeast of where she went missing,' Michigan State Police said. Gabriella 'may have autism,' WWTV reported. If you have any information about Gabriella's whereabouts, call 989-826-3214. Read more here or here.
  • A Tennessee man was indicted on first-degree murder charges after his girlfriend’s 2-year-old son was taken to the hospital and later died. >> Read more news stories Alan Johnson, 41, of Memphis, was taking care of the child while his mother was at work on Oct. 10, 2018, according to officials. He told investigators he was throwing the 2-year-old up in the air and catching him, but the boy slipped on the last throw, authorities said. According to investigators, Johnson said he swung the child – identified as Dylan Meeks – to “keep him from hitting the ground.” He said he saw the boy’s neck go back and noticed he was not responding, so he called police, authorities said. The child died two days later. The staff at Le Bonheur Children's Hospital told police that the injuries, which included a skull fracture, brain swelling, internal injuries and rib fractures, were not consistent with Johnson's story. The medical examiner found new and healing fractures of the child's ribs and also lacerations of several organs.  Johnson was later charged with murder. He was indicted Monday on charges of first-degree murder in the perpetration of aggravated child abuse and neglect. Johnson is being held without bond in the Shelby County Jail.
  • Police have apprehended a Pennsylvania man wanted on charges related to the death of his girlfriend's infant daughter, authorities said.  >> Read more trending news Pennsylvania State Police confirmed that Derrick Bass, 29, was arrested in Ohio on Monday, two days after the 11-month-old was found dead in a Pack ‘n Play at an apartment complex in East Huntingdon Township, Pennsylvania. He has been charged with homicide. The baby’s mother told police that Bass was supposed to be watching her daughter and his two children. He also was supposed to pick her up from work, but never showed up, she told police. When the girl’s mother got home, she noticed her daughter and various electronic items were missing, according to a complaint. She called police shortly after 11 p.m. Police responded to the apartment shortly after 12:30 a.m. after the mother reported finding her daughter unresponsive in the Pack ‘n Play, the complaint said. She did not see her until that time because the baby was covered in blankets, according to the complaint. Family identified the girl as 11-month-old Niomie Miller. An autopsy was conducted Sunday morning, and the preliminary cause of death was determined to be drowning, authorities said.
  • An electric company worker in eastern Kentucky took every precaution recently as he prepared to head out to a job untangling a tree from a power line, but little did he know there was no way to prepare for what was about to happen to him.  >> Read more trending news  Chris Prater told WYMT-TV that he sprayed himself down with insect repellent and joined his crew for the task ahead. After finishing the job, he said his eye bothered him. “I noticed I just started having irritation in my eye,” Prater said. He said he flushed his eye out several times and had a co-worker take a look, yet a spot he noticed didn’t move, WYMT reported. Prater was hesitant to go to a doctor, but finally made an appointment with an optometrist. 'When the doctor finally comes in, he was looking at it. He said, 'I know what's in your eye.'' Prater said he was stunned when the doctor explained what he had found. “He said, ‘It's a tick.’ That's when I got scared a little bit,” Prater told the news station. “I leaned around and looked at him and I asked him if he was joking and he said, ‘No, you have a deer tick or some type of tick.’ It was very little.” The doctor numbed Prater’s eye and used a pair of tweezers to extract the tick. “Once he grabbed ahold of it and pulled it off, the tick made a, like, a little popping sound when it came off of my eye,” Prater said. Luckily there was no lasting damage to his eye, but Prater wanted to warn others about the importance of using insect repellent, even though he knows that wouldn’t have helped his eye.
  • New York authorities are investigating the death of a 3-year-old boy who fell into a grease trap Monday morning in Rochester and died. >> Read more trending news  The tragedy happened behind a Tim Hortons restaurant around 11 a.m., according to WROC-TV. A witness found the boy, pulled him out of the pit and administered CPR but the boy died a short time later at a local hospital. “It’s a horrible, tragic accident,” police investigator Frank Camp told WROC.  There was no fencing around the trap and it was “flush with the ground,” Camp said.  The trap was covered with a green plastic lid and it blended in with the surrounding grass, Camp told CNN. “The lid was on there. It looks like the child ran across it and it popped open and he fell into the trap,” Camp said. The pit is 2.5-feet in diameter, and the city was called in to pour concrete around the trap and replace the plastic lid with a metal one. Right Now: A crew is working to secure a grease trap at Tim Hortons on University Avenue. This is following a tragic accident earlier today. A 3-year-old boy has died after falling into this grease trap. Police attempts were made to save him but were unsuccessful. @SPECNewsROC pic.twitter.com/fubViueURN — Natasha Acrie (@NatashaAcrieTV) July 15, 2019 “We have a horrifying episode here that happened today,” Camp said, according to CNN. “We're asked all the time, ‘What's the worst thing you encounter as a police officer?’ and this is No. 1.” It’s unclear how the child, who was not publicly identified, wandered behind the restaurant. The medical examiner will issue an official cause of death in the next few weeks “We have a horrifying episode here that happened today,” Camp said, according to CNN. “We're asked all the time, ‘What's the worst thing you encounter as a police officer?’ and this is No. 1.” It’s unclear how the child, who was not publicly identified, wandered behind the restaurant. The medical examiner will issue an official cause of death in the next few weeks.
  • A biologist diving off the English coast over the weekend had a stunning and rare encounter with a jellyfish so large, it was easily the size of a grown man. >> Read more trending news  Researcher and broadcaster Lizzie Daly described the encounter as “breathtaking,” according to CNN. “What an unforgettable experience,” said Daly, who was diving as part of her Wild Ocean Week campaign to raise awareness and money for the United Kingdom’s Marine Conservation Society. “I know barrel jellyfish get really big in size but I have never seen anything like it before!” she said.She was diving off the coast of Falmouth, where she and her diving partner spotted the massive jellyfish. “It really humbles you to be alongside an animal that size,” Daly told Vice News. “It’s an experience we’ll never forget.”  Barrel jellyfish inhabit the British seas and are the largest species of jellyfish in U.K. waters, CNN reported. They can grow larger than three feet and weigh more than 55 pounds.