In the latest effort to limit the number of people on the Beltline during the coronavirus pandemic, Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms issued new hourly guidelines for those using the popular walking path.
On Tuesday, the usage guidelines were announced and immediately went into effect, according to an Atlanta Beltline press release.
Between 6 and 10 a.m., the Eastside Trail will have prioritized access for older adults, people with disabilities and those with compromised health conditions, the release said. This is because volume on the trail is usually lightest during those times.
From 10 a.m. until 2 p.m., the Beltline will be reserved for those using the trail for exercise or transportation, officials said. After 2 p.m., the trail should only be used for work and emergency-related travel.
Visitors are still required to stay at least six feet away from others, but it’s unclear how the city plans to enforce the new guidelines.
This announcement comes the day after the Beltline extended its cancellation of all of events and programs through April 30, AJC.com previously reported.
The Beltline is one of the few trails to remain open in Atlanta during the statewide shelter in place order since it’s a primary means of transportation for many in the city. However, some members of Bottoms’ administration have shown an apparent desire to have the walking path closed to avoid further spread of COVID-19.
Many parks and trails across the state were closed by local officials in attempts to promote social distancing.
Several cities and counties have kept them closed, despite Gov. Brian Kemp's statewide shelter in place order overriding all local states of emergencies. The statewide order does not shut down parks and has led to some jurisdictions reopening parks, trails and beaches.