ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
45°
Mostly Cloudy
H 45° L 40°
  • cloudy-day
    45°
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Cloudy. H 45° L 40°
  • cloudy-day
    45°
    Today
    Mostly Cloudy. H 45° L 40°
  • rain-day
    58°
    Tomorrow
    Showers. H 58° L 36°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Local Govt & Politics
Atlanta mayor celebrates Gulch development victory
Close

Atlanta mayor celebrates Gulch development victory

City Council approves $1.9 billion subsidy package for Gulch project

Atlanta mayor celebrates Gulch development victory

After Invest Atlanta’s board approved $40 million in bonds to help finance the redevelopment of 40 acres of weedy parking lots and railroad tracks in downtown, Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms on Thursday took a moment to savor the most significant victory of her young administration.

“This is now our opportunity and we have seized the moment,” Bottoms said at the board meeting.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms on Thursday took a moment to savor the most significant victory of her young administration. Jenna Eason / Jenna.Eason@coxinc.com
Close

Atlanta mayor celebrates Gulch development victory

Photo Credit: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms on Thursday took a moment to savor the most significant victory of her young administration. Jenna Eason / Jenna.Eason@coxinc.com

On Monday, the City Council voted 8-6 in favor of legislation that would help provide Los Angeles-based CIM Group with nearly $1.9 billion in public subsidies to redevelop the area known as the Gulch. The project is expected to permanently reshape the city’s skyline.

The vote capped months of controversy. Bottoms’ administration had to postpone a vote on the project three times because of a lack of council support.

Invest Atlanta’s approval of the bonds was the next hurdle the project had to clear.

Two of the six board members — Fred Smith and Nancy Meister — voted against moving the Gulch project forward.

Smith said the amount of public money being used to finance the $5 billion dollar project did not match up with the benefits the public will receive.

Meister, the vice chair of the Atlanta Board of Education, said that the schools’ had been left out of the negotiating process.

“We would love to see this go through but we would also love to have a seat at the table,” Meister said.

Bottoms bristled at the comment.

“APS took a position that made it impossible to partner with them,” the mayor said.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
A rendering of the $5 billion Gulch project in downtown Atlanta.
Close

Atlanta mayor celebrates Gulch development victory

Photo Credit: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
A rendering of the $5 billion Gulch project in downtown Atlanta.

The initial plan called for extending a special taxing district known as a TAD — an area where property tax collections are frozen for a period of time, and future increases in tax collections from rising property value as the area redevelops are used to help pay for the development.

But the extension would have required approval from the Atlanta Public Schools and Fulton County.

Last month, Atlanta’s schools Superintendent Meria Carstarphen announced publicly that she wanted to renegotiate or eliminate her system’s participation in five other TADS as part of the negotiations for the Gulch.

Bottoms responded by releasing a revised plan, eliminating the proposed TAD extension.

The Gulch development will be the largest since Peachtree Center started in the 1960s. CIM proposes 18 parcels with at least nine skyscrapers of 225 feet or more in height, including one rising 500 feet or about 40 stories.

The plan also calls for 9 million square feet of office space, 1,000 residences, 1,500 hotel rooms and 1 million square feet of retail space.

Bottoms said the entire Gulch ordeal had taught her a lot, but that she was confident the city provided enough opportunity for public input into the project. She also said she would do some things differently.

“I wish that there had not been so many bumps along the way, but I think we are all better for it,” she said. “For now, we are going to celebrate this win.”

Read More

News

  • Police confirmed to Channel 2 Action News that the driver accused of hitting and killing a pedestrian has turned himself in.  Gabriel Cammon, 20, came forward to Smyrna police after he saw Channel 2 Cobb Bureau Chief Chris Jose  report on Thursday's deadly crash. Police said the victim Raul Dominguez was trying to cross a busy stretch of South Cobb Drive when the Cammon hit him with his pickup truck. A witness told Jose that the driver got out of the car but the driver panicked and fled the scene. We're speaking exclusively with the family of the driver about the charges he is facing, on Channel 2 Action News starting at 4 p.m.  “He’s a good man. I hate to see this happen to him.” Police say a hit & run driver who allegedly killed a pedestrian on South Cobb Drive, turned himself in after our story aired on Friday. The man’s family says he made a mistake by leaving the scene, Live at 4. @wsbtv pic.twitter.com/tQDQznNy5r — Chris Jose (@ChrisJoseWSB) January 22, 2019
  • Producers of the Pepsi Super Bowl LIII Halftime Show are looking for people to participate in the halftime show at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on Feb. 3. About 450 people are needed to be part of the “Field Team” that will help move the halftime show stages and scenic elements on and off the field. Channel 2 Action News Sports Director Zach Klein talked with officials on Tuesday who said they're still looking for more 'Field Team' members. Maroon 5, Big Boi and Travis Scott are headlining the Super Bowl LIII Halftime Show. Our LIVE Team 2 Coverage of Super Bowl LIII continues on Channel 2 Action News starting at 4 p.m. We're getting a behind-the-scenes look at the Super Bowl Experience + talking with cyber security experts working to keep you and the city safe. “Field Team” members must be able to attend all scheduled rehearsals, be over the age of 18 and be in good physical health. No prior experience is required. Anyone interested in applying can view the rehearsal schedule HERE. If it fits your schedule, CLICK HERE to apply for a position. NOTE: “Field Team” members will not receive tickets or the opportunity to watch the Super Bowl. However, they will be an integral part of the halftime show.
  • A man identified by authorities Tuesday as the suspect in the fatal shooting of a teenager at a suburban Chicago mall was previously convicted of armed robbery and had been an acquaintance of the victim. Orland Park Police identified the suspect as 19-year-old parolee Jakharr Williams of University Park. The department said in a news release that Williams, who fled after the shooting and has not been arrested, should be considered armed and dangerous. Police said Williams and 18-year-old Javon Britten of Richton Park were arguing in a food court at Orland Square Mall Monday when Williams allegedly pulled out a handgun and fired several shots. Britten was struck and a bystander's leg was grazed by a bullet. Police said Britten staggered to a nearby clothing store, where he collapsed. He was pronounced dead at Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn a short time later. According to the Illinois Department of Corrections website and Orland Park Police, Williams was convicted of armed robbery in 2017, and that he served a little more than a year in prison before he was released in June last year. Orland Park is about 20 miles (32 kilometers) southwest of Chicago.
  • In the legal equivalent of a Hail Mary pass, two New Orleans Saints season ticket holders have asked a judge to reverse the result of the NFC championship game that sent the Los Angeles Rams to the Super Bowl — or order a do-over. Tuesday's state court filing says NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell should implement a league rule governing 'extraordinarily unfair acts.' Remedies include reversal of a game's result or the rescheduling of a game — in its entirety or from the point when the act occurred. At issue is the failure of officials to call interference or roughness penalties when a Rams player leveled a Saints receiver with a helmet-to-helmet hit at a crucial point in Sunday's game. The NFL hasn't yet responded. A hearing is scheduled Monday.
  • A man is under arrest in Utah after police say he posted on Facebook about 'killing as many girls as I see' the same weekend that Women's Marches were held around the U.S. Christopher W. Cleary, 27, wrote he wanted to be 'the next mass shooter,' because he had never had a girlfriend and he was still a virgin, according to jail documents filed by police in the city of Provo. He wanted to 'make it right' with women who had turned him down and also said 'there's nothing more dangerous than a man ready to die,' the documents said. Cleary is from Denver and Colorado police on Saturday contacted officers in Provo, south of Salt Lake City, where Cleary had checked into an AirBnB rental a day earlier. With help from the FBI, officers tracked Cleary to a restaurant and arrested him on suspicion of a felony threat of terrorism charge. The posts did not mention the marches but investigators were concerned because they were happening that day in Provo and Salt Lake City, along with dozens of other cities, the documents said. Cleary acknowledged making the posts, but said he deleted them after receiving threats in response, police said. He told investigators he had an impulse-control disorder and was suicidal. Colorado authorities said Cleary is on probation after stalking and threatening women there, according to Utah police documents. He was being held without bail in Utah, and authorities were expected to seek his extradition to Colorado. No attorney or publicly listed phone number was immediately available for Cleary.
  • Country singer John Berry revealed he is battling tonsil cancer, Billboard reported Tuesday. Berry, 59, announced the cancer in a video he recorded with his wife, Robin Berry, and posted to his Facebook page.  “We started off this year with a hiccup, and we want to tell you a little bit about that,” John Berry said in the video.  It is not the first time Berry has experienced a medical scare. On the day his song “Your Love Amazes Me” hit No. 1 in 1994, Berry had surgery to remove a benign brain tumor, Billboard reported. Berry said he became aware of his latest health issue in November before his latest tour, the magazine reported.“I had a little catch in my throat, it felt like, it felt exactly like, the skin of a Spanish peanut was stuck in my throat,” Berry said in the video.  After examining his tonsils Berry noticed they were swollen. Despite going to a doctor and receiving steroids and antibiotics, the problem persisted, Berry said. He completed his tour and then saw a doctor Jan. 4, Rolling Stone reported. A CT scan revealed two tumors in his tonsils, so he had surgery to remove them, the magazine reported. After receiving biopsy results, doctors told Berry he had tonsil cancer. Berry will begin a five-week chemotherapy and radiation treatment plan this week, Rolling Stone reported. “This particular cancer is one of the most highly treatable, and has an incredible cure rate,” Berry said in his video. According to his website, Berry had 20 singles on the country charts during the 1990s, six of which were Top 5 songs. He won a Grammy Award in 1996 for his participation in “Amazing Grace: A Country Salute to Gospel, Vol. 1.”