ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
71°
Partly Cloudy
H 88° L 70°
  • cloudy-day
    71°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 88° L 70°
  • cloudy-day
    85°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 88° L 70°
  • cloudy-day
    86°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 88° L 70°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

News
One year after #MeToo: Where do we go from here?
Close

One year after #MeToo: Where do we go from here?

The #MeToo movement, first coined by activist Tarana Burke in 2006 and popularized by actress Alyssa Milano last year, has given many women the courage to share their experiences with assault aloud.

One year after #MeToo: Where do we go from here?

Sheena Bosket was in her therapist’s office earlier this year when she unraveled her history with sexual assault. She first opened up about being molested at age 8, then about being assaulted twice as an adult.

For Bosket and many others, #MeToo has given her the courage to share her experiences aloud.

» RELATED: Men and #MeToo: Where do things stand a year later?

“There’s more of a leg to stand on,” the 35-year-old Atlanta attorney told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “Women still aren’t equal and are still at a disadvantage, but one of our few powers now is strength in numbers.”

Bob Andres/bandres@ajc.com
10/15/18 - Dunwoody - Sheena Bosket was in her therapist’€™s office as she unraveled her history with sexual assault, first as an 8-year-old survivor of child molestation in her hometown of Allentown, Pennsylvania, then twice as a survivor of assault as an adult.
Close

One year after #MeToo: Where do we go from here?

Photo Credit: Bob Andres/bandres@ajc.com
10/15/18 - Dunwoody - Sheena Bosket was in her therapist’€™s office as she unraveled her history with sexual assault, first as an 8-year-old survivor of child molestation in her hometown of Allentown, Pennsylvania, then twice as a survivor of assault as an adult.

Bosket hasn’t seen any of her alleged assaulters charged, nor has she reported the incidents to authorities.

One year after the movement took social media by storm, Bosket feels sure that if something inappropriate were to happen with a man again, she would report it immediately.

» RELATED: One year after Weinstein: A timeline of powerful men accused of sexual misconduct

“If I lose my job, fine. If people don’t believe me, fine,” she said. “I’m making a conscious choice and I’m going to speak out. I’ve had enough.”

A year ago Monday, actress Alyssa Milano tweeted two simple words in a call to action against sexual assault and harassment. After The New York Times published an article detailing decades of alleged sexual misconduct by movie producer Harvey Weinstein, women started to come forward and accuse the movie mogul with allegations ranging from sexual harassment to sexual assault. As a growing number of women spoke out against Weinstein, legions of women used social media to share their own experiences of sexual harassment, assault, catcalling, unwanted attention and abuse.

» RELATED: #MeToo: Women share harrowing accounts of sexual assault, harassment

And at the same time, these two little words with a powerful message found their way into conversations at the office, over drinks with friends, on college campuses, even at dinner tables in homes right here in metro Atlanta.

The social movement originated a decade ago by activist Tarana Burke, who was helping victims of sexual harassment and assault. She wanted to create opportunities for women to heal, and she started a “Me Too” campaign.

But it was one year ago when #MeToo went viral online, quickly gaining steam after Milano encouraged others to speak out.

On Oct. 17 of last year, only two days after the hashtag caught fire, nearly half the people in the United States were friends with someone who had posted “Me Too,” according to Facebook.

» RELATED: Who is Tarana Burke? Meet the woman who started the Me Too movement a decade ago

Millions of people around the globe have used #MeToo on Twitter and posted “Me Too” on Facebook. For many, the stories revealed that sexual harassment and violence can happen to any woman — anywhere. It wasn’t long before #MeToo wasn’t just two simple words — it was a movement.

Sexual harassment remained in the headlines with more famous men accused of sexual harassment and sexual assault — from Kevin Spacey and Matt Lauer to Charlie Rose to Bill Cosby, who was recently sentenced to three to 10 years in prison for sexually assaulting a woman in his home.

Nadine Kaslow, a professor at the Emory University School of Medicine, said #MeToo let a powerful genie out of a bottle.

» RELATED: A look at #MeToo and its mostly hidden impact at the Georgia Capitol

Kaslow and other observers say #MeToo is converting into real-world changes, but we must do a better job of focusing on preventive measures, and provide better support for survivors of sexual assault.

“We need to keep encouraging people to come forward and do a way better job of listening,” she said. “Not invalidating, saying they were young, drunk, it doesn’t count. It was no big deal.”

Nearly one in five women and one in 71 men reported experiencing rape at some point in their lives, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The majority of sexual assaults, and as many as two-thirds, are not reported to the authorities, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

» RELATED: Survey shows 1 in 3 men don’t think catcalling is sexual harassment

The National Sexual Assault Hotline, operated by RAINN, has seen about a 30 percent increase in calls since the rise of #MeToo, and the day after Christine Blasey Ford and Judge Brett Kavanaugh testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee was the busiest day in the hotline’s 24-year history.

Meanwhile, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission said that preliminary data showed sexual harassment complaints filed during this fiscal year rose by more than 12 percent as compared to that same period in 2017. Additionally, sexual harassment claims were part of 41 lawsuits brought by the EEOC during this fiscal year, a more than 50 percent uptick in legal actions addressing that type of abuse as compared to the previous fiscal year.

Ilene Berman, labor and employment practice group leader at the Taylor English law firm in Atlanta, said sensitivities to inappropriate workplace behavior have been heightened, and employers are being closely scrutinized on how they respond to complaints of harassment.

» RELATED: More than half of women in science experience harassment, extensive report finds

Berman, who works with employers, said the movement took her by surprise.

“I didn’t see it coming, and this is what I do every day,” she said. “People were really emboldened. People realized they were not the exception to the rule. It was not just about them. That they were part of something bigger.”

Before the #MeToo movement emerged last year, Berman said, employers had become complacent in the need for regular training on anti-harassment policies and reminding employees how they should treat one another in the workplace. Now, employees, either directly or indirectly, are demanding harassment prevention education for both managers and rank-and-file employees and are seeking assurances that their concerns will be taken seriously and addressed appropriately, in a retaliatory-free environment.

» RELATED: Sexual harassment in the workplace: What is it, how to report it and more you should know

With employers investing in harassment prevention training, employees have become more comfortable bringing up not only real-time incidents of harassment, but also disclosing incidents from the distant past about which they want their employers to know and address. That’s a good thing and one of the positive upshots of the movement, said Berman, who regularly advises her clients on sexual harassment in the workplace.

So what should harassment prevention training look like? Attendance, she said, should be mandatory for everyone from the CEO and other members of the C-suite to the rank and file. Training should include the following: educating employees on what constitutes harassment; civility training and respect awareness; a review of the company’s reporting procedures; and an understanding of what an investigation into a harassment complaint looks like.

A year after the #MeToo movement began, anxiety about false accusations is also looming. A new poll by the media firm Morning Consult finds most people are equally concerned for men facing possible false allegations as they are for women facing sexual assault.

» RELATED: Why sex scandals are finally leading to consequences

And a nationwide survey from Vox and Morning Consult also found that a majority of women — 63 percent — “were very or somewhat concerned about false accusations.” False reports of sexual assault are rare at 2 percent to 10 percent, according to studies cited by the National Sexual Violence Resource Center. Despite concerns about false accusations, women aren’t backing down from the movement.

A cultural shift appears already underway at college campuses.

Jessica Kubert, Atlanta outreach coordinator for Emory University’s Sexual Assault Peer Advocates, said conversations about sexual violence are happening with more frequency, adding, “Female students are more willing to open up … and male students are more willing to listen.”

» RELATED: 7 tips for males who manage or mentor females

Kubert, a junior at Emory University, said she was encouraged when a fraternity recently hosted an event with Men Stopping Violence, which among other things, discussed the definition of consent. Kubert said the conversation must continue, and there’s a need for more support for survivors of sexual assault as well as opportunities for all college students to gather and share their personal experiences, and engage in discussions about consent, sexual assault and ways to stop it from happening.

“I am hopeful these conversations we are having in intellectual spaces will carry over into interactions with people and in our relationships,” Kubert said. 

RESOURCES AND SUPPORT

RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) is the nation’s largest anti-sexual violence organization. RAINN created and operates the National Sexual Assault Hotline — 1-800-656-HOPE (4673), online.rainn.org — in partnership with more than 1,000 local sexual assault service providers across the country and operates the DoD Safe Helpline for the Department of Defense. RAINN also carries out programs to prevent sexual violence, help survivors, and ensure that perpetrators are brought to justice.

The National Dating Abuse Helpline, operating the 24/7 text, phone, and live chat services, helps teens who are in, or may be in, abusive relationships. Users call 1-866-331-9474 to be connected with an advocate who is trained to offer education, support and advocacy to those involved in dating abuse relationships as well as concerned friends, siblings, parents, teachers, law enforcement members and service providers. The live chat (IM-style) of the helpline is another way for users to contact a peer advocate.

National Domestic Violence Hotline. Through this hotline, an advocate can provide resources such as safehouse shelters, and crisis intervention. 1−800−799−SAFE (7233). Assistance is available in English and Spanish with access to more than 170 languages through telephonic interpreter services.

Read More

News

  • A mother duck quacked for help after her ducklings fell into a Pennsylvania sewer Saturday morning. >> Watch the news report here Pittsburgh firefighters and police came to the rescue of the ducklings trapped in the sewer along Kalida Drive in Larimer. >> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news  While the ducklings' mother watched, Pittsburgh police Officer Cassie Lee jumped into the sewer and rescued all 10 ducklings. Mom looked to make sure all her ducklings were accounted for and then walked away with her babies. >> Read more trending news  This is the second day in a row ducklings were rescued from a sewer in Pittsburgh. Read more here.
  • A Springfield, Ohio, man who pleaded guilty to killing his neighbor’s dog with a baseball bat in April avoided jail time and was sentenced to community service. Jeffrey Sagraves was ordered to 40 hours of community service and to pay $300 in fines for burglary and cruelty to a companion animal. >> On WHIO.com: Springfield man accused of killing dog with baseball bat He was facing a maximum of 18 months in jail for burglary and 12 months for cruelty to a companion animal. In October, Sagraves called 911 to report that there were two pit bulls in his backyard attacking his cat, according to Clark County Common Pleas Court documents. During the call, he reportedly told dispatchers that the dogs belonged to his neighbor and threatened to kill the dogs if police didn’t show up soon The cat died during the attack, according to court records. >> Read more trending news  Minutes later, a neighbor, Lisa Marie Everhart, called 911 and said a man identified as Sagraves reportedly broke into her home and hit her dog in the head with a wooden bat. She was visibly upset, as well as her young children, who were screaming and crying, according to a court affidavit. Everhart was charged with a misdemeanor for failing to confine her dogs.
  • A heartwarming viral video filmed late last year is making the rounds again – just in time for Father's Day. >> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news  According to ABC News, Julianne Cragg of Edmonton, Alberta, was at a Three Days Grace concert in December when she spotted a teen signing song lyrics to a deaf man. 'At last night's concert, we witnessed something absolutely beautiful,' Cragg wrote in a Dec. 13 Facebook post, which included a video of the pair. 'We saw this girl and a man who seemed to require a lot of dancing room, irritating at first until we realized what was happening,' Cragg continued. 'Her father is deaf, she was signing the lyrics to him. We couldn't care less about what was happening on stage, watching them was absolutely mesmerizing. They were both very sweet and her father was very proud of his daughter.' >> Watch the video here The father and daughter were identified as Karri Carberry, 19, and Darrin Carberry, who also are from Edmonton, ABC News reported. >> Read more trending news  'I feel absolutely shocked and amazed at all of the views and responses we have been getting!' the younger Carberry said of the clip, which has been viewed more than 28 million times, in a December interview. 'It’s an amazing feeling and we’re both very happy that everyone around the world is enjoying it so much.' Read more here.
  • A Southern California teen who has been in a wheelchair for nearly a year overcame the odds last week to walk at his high school graduation. >> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news  According to KTLA, Claremont High School graduate Alexander Harris surprised his classmates Thursday as he rose from his wheelchair, used a walker to cross the stage and accepted his diploma. >> Watch the moment here The emotional moment came 10 months after a serious motocross racing crash left Harris with a broken neck. 'He couldn't lift his hands to drink,' his mother, Peggy, told KTLA. 'I had to feed him. I had to give him, you know, whatever he needed, and to see where he's at today ...' >> Read more trending news  Although doctors said Harris may never be able to use his limbs again, he remained focused on one goal. 'My first thought was, 'When can I get back walking?'' he told KTLA. Following several months of physical therapy, he did just that. 'Never give up,' he told the TV station. Want to follow Harris’ recovery? You can read more about him and donate to his GoFundMe campaign here.
  • President Donald Trump took to Twitter on Saturday to slam The New York Times for its report that the United States has increased cyberattacks on Russia's power grid. >> Read more trending news  'Do you believe that the Failing New York Times just did a story stating that the United States is substantially increasing Cyber Attacks on Russia,' Trump tweeted shortly after 9 p.m. Saturday. 'This is a virtual act of Treason by a once great paper so desperate for a story, any story, even if bad for our Country.' He continued: 'ALSO, NOT TRUE! Anything goes with our Corrupt News Media today. They will do, or say, whatever it takes, with not even the slightest thought of consequence! These are true cowards and without doubt, THE ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE!' >> See the tweets here Earlier Saturday, the newspaper, citing 'current and former government officials,' reported that the U.S. 'is stepping up digital incursions into Russia's electric power grid.'  The news comes at least seven years after U.S. officials began putting 'reconnaissance probes' in Russia's grid, the Times reported. 'But now the American strategy has shifted more toward offense, officials say, with the placement of potentially crippling malware inside the Russian system at a depth and with an aggressiveness that had never been tried before,' the Times reported, adding that the move is part-warning, part-preparation for launching U.S. attacks 'if a major conflict' with Russia develops. Two unnamed officials with the Trump administration said they did not think the president had received detailed briefings about the U.S. implants in the Russian electric system, according to the Times.  Officials have hesitated to give him the details over worries that he might divulge information to foreign officials or react unfavorably, sources told the Times. Read more here.
  • Hundreds of divers removed litter from the ocean floor near a popular Florida beach – and set a world record in the process. >> Read more trending news  According to the South Florida Sun Sentinel, 633 divers joined forces Saturday morning at Deerfield Beach to accomplish the feat, which occurred at Dixie Divers' annual pier cleanup. >> See photos and a video from the event here Michael Empric, a representative from Guinness World Records in New York, attended the event and tallied the participants.  >> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news  'Today, I'm the official eyes and ears of Guinness World Records on the ground, so we know immediately whether or not the record's been broken,' Empric told the Sun Sentinel. They ended up breaking the previous record for the largest underwater cleanup, set four years ago by a group of 614 divers in the Red Sea. >> See the Facebook post here This isn't the first time Dixie Divers has broken a world record. At last year's Deerfield Beach cleanup, 386 divers set the record for the longest underwater human chain. Read more here.