Think you know everything about your house? Here are 5 Things you absolutely have to know if you are a home owner….
Of all the things that have appeared in my newsletters over the years, this is the most requested one to repeat. So I am. Print it, put it on your bulletin board and remember it.
5 Things every home owner absolutely has to know.
- How do you shut off the water. There is a water shut-off at your house, and there is one at the street. Find them both and know how to use them. Any plumbing problem becomes less a problem the second you cut off the water.
Water shut-off is your first go-to when you have a water issue.
Note - the cut-off at the street might require a special key. Get one (at any big box store) and know how to use it (not that difficult)!
- Know where your hvac on/off switch is. The switch is generally found near the furnace and it usually resembles a light switch. Cutting off your hvac system can keep smoke from spreading via the ductwork through your home.
- How to shut down your electrical system. Know where the main breaker is - it could be in the circuit box or it could be a disconnect outside. Older boxes may require turning off each breaker individually. Know how yours works and where it is located.
This is also probably where you can find your breakers to restore the power to an area where the breaker has been tripped.
- Where is the fire? You should have working smoke detectors located in EVERY sleeping room, plus in hallways and gathering rooms. Having them in mechanical rooms is a good plan as well. Newer detectors will sync up with each other so when one goes off, they all will go off.
- How do I get out. Every resident in a house has to know the best, and second best way out of every room in the house. Escape plans need to include rope ladders where applicable. They also need to be practiced, at least once a year. As people (children and adults) age their skill sets change. What was once an easy rope ladder climb for mom or dad now may be too much.